ffb fixed, some comms from devs

i wonder how light tarmac steering effort on modern cars vs gravel ? 

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, richie said:

He might've criticised the FFB but in one of the first DR2.0 videos he put out he was driving the Datsun 240Z and he said he could feel the ruts pulling the car, usually you feel these things through your wheel. 

Whether or not Jimmy has said he feels forces on the steering wheel from ruts (Jimmy runs a very expensive DD wheel)....DO YOU FEEL THEM? 

Edited by FLAW3D
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, FLAW3D said:

Whether or not Jimmy has said he feels forces on the steering wheel from ruts (Jimmy runs a very expensive DD wheel)....DO YOU FEEL THEM? 

Btw, I don't think the different wheels make a huge difference and I think nobody needs wheels with 25Nm of torque or more. I mentioned this in a FFB context but I meant it more in general. If your CPU is outdated and can't handle physics then the game's not running smooth.

I can feel those forces and you should feel them as well. The effect is there so the forces should be pulling your wheel. 

• Confused 3

1 minute ago, richie said:

If your CPU is outdated and can't handle physics then the game's not running smooth.

***???? 😅

6 minutes ago, teknoid85 said:

***???? 😅

Is that not accurate? I know someone whose PC specs were not up to the task for pCARS 2 and he had serious issues with physics. 

34 minutes ago, richie said:

Is that not accurate? I know someone whose PC specs were not up to the task for pCARS 2 and he had serious issues with physics. 

physics are wrong  with weak cpu????   that sounds very weird to me........

p.s:  i have a 7 year old  i5-3570k   and don't have any problems.....

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, teknoid85 said:

physics are wrong  with weak cpu????   that sounds very weird to me........

p.s:  i have a 7 year old  i5-3570k   and don't have any problems.....

With a very weak CPU, it is possible that physics caculations aren't fast enough to allow a smooth game speed. But it is very unlikely that someone has a system with such a weak CPU and still achieves a smooth frame rate. Usually the graphics card is the bottleneck, and if not, the CPU would be a lot older than the card.

Also, I assume that DR2 is using the physics capabilities of the GPU (graphics card) to reduce the CPU load.

Edited by Laserjones
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

Posted (edited)

I do not feel the ruts pulling on my wheel and even if you could feel it on some wheels it would be a fake effect, not derived from physics engine, as ruts in DR2 are purely visual/textures. 3D mesh of the roads is more or less completely smooth, if you don't take into account large bumps and road camber which can be felt and might be mistaken for ruts doing the pulling.

Edited by Pistro

13 minutes ago, Pistro said:

I do not feel the ruts pulling on my wheel and even if you could feel it on some wheels it would be a fake effect, not derived from physics engine, as ruts in DR2 are purely visual/textures. 3D mesh of the roads is more or less completely smooth, if you don't take into account large bumps and road camber which can be felt and might be mistaken for ruts doing the pulling.

That would be a direct contradiction to what Codemastes announced as one of the greatest new features compared to DR1. They expressly stated that track degradation would have a noticeable effect on the handling and dynamics of the car, so that it matters whether you start early or late compared to other cars on the same stage (in career/competition mode, not in time trial).

Whether it's a physics-based or a "fake" effect is not as important as the question whether the effect is there at all.

Posted (edited)
21 minutes ago, Laserjones said:

That would be a direct contradiction to what Codemastes announced as one of the greatest new features compared to DR1. They expressly stated that track degradation would have a noticeable effect on the handling and dynamics of the car, so that it matters whether you start early or late compared to other cars on the same stage (in career/competition mode, not in time trial).

Whether it's a physics-based or a "fake" effect is not as important as the question whether the effect is there at all.

No, it wouldn't as they didn't state what effect exactly it would have, from game mechanics perspective, and from my experience surface degradation has an effect of reduced overall grip. I have not tested whether it has an effect on FFB. If it does it must be very small, because I haven't noticed it.

Edited by Pistro
  • Agree 1

There definitely are ruts. They may not be modelled in 3D visually, and may not pull as strongly as you might expect on the wheel, but the car is affected by them.

When running at the rear of the starting order, I have actually almost rolled a few times when chucking it into a tight corner. The wheels get partly caught in a rut rather than sliding, nearly rolling the car.

• Agree 1

21 minutes ago, Pistro said:

No, it wouldn't as they didn't state what effect exactly it would have, from game mechanics perspective, and from my experience surface degradation has an effect of reduced overall grip. I have not tested whether it has an effect on FFB. If it does it must be very small, because I haven't noticed it.

Ahem.

• Haha 2
  • Agree 1

Is there any game out there that actually tries to model the sensation of driving a car with power steering vs without power steering? A car without it should be very very stiff when stationary and at low speed and gradually lighten up with increased speed.

10 hours ago, austinb said:

There definitely are ruts. They may not be modelled in 3D visually, and may not pull as strongly as you might expect on the wheel, but the car is affected by them.

When running at the rear of the starting order, I have actually almost rolled a few times when chucking it into a tight corner. The wheels get partly caught in a rut rather than sliding, nearly rolling the car.

Yes absolutely.  And you can drive like there are ruts and get the right response.  I also visually see them but they aren't as clearly defined as "train tracks" as you might expect with just deep ruts created by a single track width rally class.

look at the steering wheel, see how it reacts to the ground effects, thats what is missing from FFB

10 hours ago, JesseDeya said:

Ahem.

"Alot more rougher for the people at the back of the field"

Yeah right Jon right you are. This is why you can never trust race drivers that are hired by the companies that make the game. Clearly what the race drivers who play the game and nothing to do with the title are saying is the exact same as all of us. As well as the most experienced Sim heads. 

Honestly its clear the game is WIP and possibly what Jon describes will come eventually but we clearly do not have what he's talking about right now and is likely weeks if not months away. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, watzcoc said:

look at the steering wheel, see how it reacts to the ground effects, thats what is missing from FFB

That's just a fake visual effect. It was the same in DR at first but they removed it by request of the community. It just looks silly. 

• Agree 1

18 hours ago, JesseDeya said:

Ahem.

I wasn't aware of this video, so apologies for not doing enough research before speaking on the matter. What prompted me to write that though is the fact that I honestly have not noticed anything being different, between different stages of degradation, other than visual appearance and change in overall grip. Now that I think of it, it might be because of how running order works in career. You never get a chance to drive the same car, on the same road, during two different stages of degradation. I will do some proper testing in custom events to see what's actually going on.

Hi all, just wanted to chip in here before the weekend arrives; we're working on bringing changes to the FFB - within the next week or two we'll be releasing a FFB specific update. More info soon, but it's coming. Thanks for your patience - we can't wait to have it out there and in your hands.

• Like 18
  • Thanks 6
  • Agree 2

Good, finally we can have less whining. 😛

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, Decks said:

It might be worse... 

No you didn’t.

Yes...you did. 

Lets put that kettle of fish on the back burner for now, eh? Lol 😜

Hope the update also includes

- Ability to keep old FFB (in case the new is even worse)

- Fix for triple screen and widescreen foliage/grass flickering (it's terrible, reported by many people, no fix so far)

- Car specific transmission (H pattern for old cars, seq for new)

• Agree 5