ffb fixed, some comms from devs

16 hours ago, bn880 said:

Good, finally we can have less whining. 😛

Brilliant you can stop whining about the folk that want decent ffb :classic_dry:

• Agree 3
  • Disagree 1

^ Fine, so you can stop whining about the people that are whining about FFB whiners.

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, bn880 said:

^ Fine, so you can stop whining about the people that are whining about FFB whiners.

That's a belter mate how did you come up wae that one. 

Posted (edited)
20 hours ago, Hitmanvega said:

^^^ Ffb specific update. 

Hmm yeah. Well to me those 2 other issues are even bigger, the FFB is okay while not as good as Dirt Rally 1. Especially the triple screen flicker is game breaking (every grass texture in every track flickers like a strobe light, nonstop... so only stages I use now are Sweden/Monte, due to no grass)

To me it's weird that this doesn't get addressed, triple screen owners must still be larger portion of PC simracers, than VR owners...

@ChristinaMc

Here videos about the flicker: 

https://youtu.be/NWph0ZUObRk?t=1 

https://youtu.be/Z8xagEzUwTA

Edited by KahvaEel
  • Agree 3

6 minutes ago, KahvaEel said:

Hmm yeah. Well to me those 2 other issues are even bigger, the FFB is okay while not as good as Dirt Rally 1. Especially the triple screen flicker is game breaking (every grass texture in every track flickers like a strobe light, nonstop... so only stages I use now are Sweden/Monte, due to no grass)

To me it's weird that this doesn't get addressed, triple screen owners must still be larger portion of PC simracers, than VR owners...

Nevertheless it's probably just a tiny percentage of players using more than on screen, so of course this gets a lower priority than FFB, which has been criticized by a huge portion of users.

Do you have TAA on or off? It generally reduces flicker significantly.

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Laserjones said:

Nevertheless it's probably just a tiny percentage of players using more than on screen, so of course this gets a lower priority than FFB, which has been criticized by a huge portion of users.

Do you have TAA on or off? It generally reduces flicker significantly.

Yeah I get that. But after this patch I hope. VR is getting support, so triple screen shouldn't be neglected. I have TAA on and most settings maxed

The flickering can get way worse though, depending on areas (lot of grass).

Sorry for poor quality, didn't manage to get Shadowplay working with triples, but should show what I mean by flicker. All grass flickers like that, every stage, all the time.  This has happened since launch of DR 2.0 gpu driver doesn't matter. Went through all the graphic settings, only thing that cures it is disabling "Ground cover" totally.

Other people reporting same thing: https://forums.codemasters.com/topic/35041-foliage-is-flickering-badly-in-5760-x-1080-resolution-this-doesnt-happen-in-1920-x-1080/

Edited by KahvaEel

3 hours ago, KahvaEel said:

Yeah I get that. But after this patch I hope. VR is getting support, so triple screen shouldn't be neglected. I have TAA on and most settings maxed

The flickering can get way worse though, depending on areas (lot of grass).

Sorry for poor quality, didn't manage to get Shadowplay working with triples, but should show what I mean by flicker. All grass flickers like that, every stage, all the time.  This has happened since launch of DR 2.0 gpu driver doesn't matter. Went through all the graphic settings, only thing that cures it is disabling "Ground cover" totally.

Other people reporting same thing: https://forums.codemasters.com/topic/35041-foliage-is-flickering-badly-in-5760-x-1080-resolution-this-doesnt-happen-in-1920-x-1080/

The grass looks so false anyway i just turn ground cover off the stages just look so much cleaner and neater and has the bonus off a big fps bump and you can see all the lines that are possible.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, doyaneedthis said:

The grass looks so false anyway i just turn ground cover off the stages just look so much cleaner and neater and has the bonus off a big fps bump and you can see all the lines that are possible.

Not in my opinion, if it wouldn't flicker. My FPS is fine with 1080 ti. Anyway, it needs addressing, "turn off grass" isn't a solution. Triple screens are more common than VR headsets (in sim racing, because it was the "gold standard" of sim racing for many years before VR became a thing. Lot of simmers haven't sold their triples, some not even if they have VR)

Edited by KahvaEel
  • Agree 3

8 hours ago, KahvaEel said:

Not in my opinion, if it wouldn't flicker. My FPS is fine with 1080 ti. Anyway, it needs addressing, "turn off grass" isn't a solution. Triple screens are more common than VR headsets (in sim racing, because it was the "gold standard" of sim racing for many years before VR became a thing. Lot of simmers haven't sold their triples, some not even if they have VR)

I have nothing to say to this problem you are having, but your username is neat.

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

10 hours ago, KahvaEel said:

Flickering isn't my main problem with triple screens, it's the fact that everything on the side screens just looks so 'rough' when it passes you by in your peripheral vision. Dirt Rally was smooth and looked as it should but in both D4 and DR2 I find the vegetation on the sides just doesn't work for me. No idea what is causing it. FPS is stable. 

Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, bogani said:

Flickering isn't my main problem with triple screens, it's the fact that everything on the side screens just looks so 'rough' when it passes you by in your peripheral vision. Dirt Rally was smooth and looked as it should but in both D4 and DR2 I find the vegetation on the sides just doesn't work for me. No idea what is causing it. FPS is stable. 

Change the TAA and / or Motion Blur settings, but I think TAA is your main problem, because DR1 doesn't have that 🙂

Edited by Lollerke

4 hours ago, Lollerke said:

Change the TAA and / or Motion Blur settings, but I think TAA is your main problem, because DR1 doesn't have that 🙂

Never use TAA and tried motion blur both on and off. Doesn't make much difference. I guess it must be how the foliage is rendered in D4/DR2 compared to DR. 

1 minute ago, bogani said:

Never use TAA and tried motion blur both on and off. Doesn't make much difference. I guess it must be how the foliage is rendered in D4/DR2 compared to DR. 

if i disable TAA in game i see networklike textures in the  vegetation   (trees)

5 minutes ago, teknoid85 said:

if i disable TAA in game i see networklike textures in the  vegetation   (trees)

Yeah I've seen these as well, just can't stand the overall blur TAA adds to the whole image. 

• Agree 1

Posted (edited)

So I did some proper testing to determine whether ruts, that appear during subsequent stages of road degradation, have any effect, other than visual. I want to be clear, I wasn't looking to prove or disprove anything. I was just curiours as to what is actually going on. More specifically I was looking to see what effect road degradation has in three key areas: steering wheel force feedback, overall grip, suspension and tyre interaction with the surface. Here's what I found:

1. Force Feedback

Setup: PC, Logitech G920, 540 degrees of rotation

In-game FFB settings (game files not modified):

Self Aligning Torque: 70

Wheel Friction: 0

Tyre Friction: 150

Suspension: 150

Collision: 150

Steering Centre Force: off

Methodology: I drove on the same stretch of road, at a constant speed of 50 km/h and at racing speeds, using the same car with the same tuning, in the same weather conditions, back to back, during two different stages of degradation: 1. No degradation; 2. Third stage of degradation. I used two different techniques of holding a steering wheel: 1. Hands firmly gripping the wheel at 3 and 9 o'clock; 2. Same hand placement but holding the wheel with just the fingertips (this technique allows to feel even the slightests forces).

Results: No difference between 1. No degradation and 2. Third stage of degradation. Only force I could feel was the force of self aligning torque trying to pull the car, due to gravity, because of uneven road surface (3D mesh). On relatively flat and straight parts of the road there were no forces acting on the wheel.

2. Overall grip

Methodology: I did two perfectly clean maximum attack runs, on the same stage, using the same car, with the same tuning and engine upgrade level, in the same weather conditions, on the same tyre compound, back to back, during two different stages of degradation: 1. No degradation; 2. Third stage of degradation.

Results: 1. No degradation time: 3min 51s; 2. Third stage of degradation time: 3min 48s. Admittedly, two runs is not enough to determine, with 100% certainty, whether there is a difference in overall grip, but the results suggest that there is very little difference in overall grip and that there might be more of it when the road surface is degraded.

3. Suspension and tyre interaction with the surface

Methodology: I drove on the same stretch of road, at racing speeds, using the same car with the same tuning and engine upgrade level, in the same weather conditions, back to back, during two different stages of degradation: 1. No degradation; 2. Third stage of degradation, concentrating on camera movement (which was set to maximum shake) and car behaviour.

Results: No visible difference between 1. No degradation and 2. Third stage of degradation.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

I made sure that degradation level was correct by looking at the degradation indicator in the service park menu, before each test. To get the third stage of road degradation I used career mode in H1 class, which has it by default, from the start, and for zero degradation I used time trials. These tests do not exclude the possibility of results being different with other steering wheels therefore I encourage those of you who had a different impression of ruts to do your own tests and share the results here.

Edited by Pistro
  • Thanks 3

22 hours ago, KahvaEel said:

Thanks for the video. In contrast to what I understood first, that flicker obviously has nothing to do with 3D edge aliasing (which can be reduced with TAA and normal anti-aliasing). Instead, the brightness of some of the grass polygons/textures seems to vary abruptly. To me, it looks like a bug in the lighting algorithm.

• Agree 1

Posted (edited)

I'd rather fix it by removing completely the flickery textures, as there's enough grass in there that doesn't flicker.

It'd be a 2in1 solution: no more flickering and more FPS. Not to mention it's probably the fastest way to solve this issue, by simply selecting what's flickering and deleting it.

Edited by Riggs

2 hours ago, Riggs said:

I'd rather fix it by removing completely the flickery textures, as there's enough grass in there that doesn't flicker.

It'd be a 2in1 solution: no more flickering and more FPS. Not to mention it's probably the fastest way to solve this issue, by simply selecting what's flickering and deleting it.

Assuming that’s even possible and that it’s not, for example, every 127th grass texture that flickers, or something like that.

The closing line from the notes accompanying Patch 1.4:

"Please note that a further update will follow in the next week, which will focus solely upon FFB – so if you’re wondering where that is, it’s just around the next corner!"

• Agree 1

Hopefully we will have ffb patch tomorrow😉

• Agree 1

9 hours ago, watzcoc said:

One can only hope...has been a long road to hoe, lets hope the soil is fertile, and ripe with juicy FFB goodness.

• Agree 1

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, watzcoc said:

They said next week....it's above your post and in the v1.4 patch notes. What makes you think we will have it tomorrow? 🙂

Edited by Lollerke

"In the next week" would suggest in the next 7 days to me. I've got a child free day off work on Monday so expect the update to come out on Tuesday.

• Haha 1