ffb fixed, some comms from devs

6 minutes ago, DelDredd said:

Well it actually did something for mine, most of the wheels in the xml file have no ffb force figure listed against them in any case.

The preamble in the file mentions settings for ffb force and a few others are optional, suppose it just depends what your wheel would use if none stated.

Default supposed to be 1 I think, but how can you be sure that is being applied, a Bunch of Thrustmaster wheels need to be set above 6 to get any feedback at all from what I read.

If no specific value is given, the value is 1. Like always in such files, you don't make more work than you need to.

• Like 1

"you don't make more work than you need to

First thing that came into my head with a smile was, yep like making sure the FFB effects work correctly. 

13 hours ago, mshagg said:

Honestly I wouldn't bother with the XML tweak.  All it involves is increasing the FFB gain by 300%-800% and then turning down the effects in game.

You cant amplify forces which simply arent present in the FFB system.

Im actually surprised codies havent discouraged the practice.

The point is that some effects are there, just they are too weak to feel even on a powerful DD wheel. Turning up all the FFB would create overpowering SAT and collisions unless these are turned down. Effectively this allows the suspension effect to be increased 5 fold without increasing other effects. This brings in effects that simply aren't there at the default settings. You won't feel them tweaking the in game settings alone.

Unfortunately this is far from perfect as the effects on the suspension by the rutted road surface seem to be more pronounced at pulling to the left than the right but amplifying the FFB definitely finds things that are present!

Exactly, its as if their default values for each force are messed up to start with, still get nothing from engine or tyres even though the sliders are there but greyed out.

4 hours ago, TonyRickard said:

The point is that some effects are there, just they are too weak to feel even on a powerful DD wheel. Turning up all the FFB would create overpowering SAT and collisions unless these are turned down. Effectively this allows the suspension effect to be increased 5 fold without increasing other effects. This brings in effects that simply aren't there at the default settings. You won't feel them tweaking the in game settings alone.

Unfortunately this is far from perfect as the effects on the suspension by the rutted road surface seem to be more pronounced at pulling to the left than the right but amplifying the FFB definitely finds things that are present!

It feels more ike Project Cars 2 FFB, though you can feel the track on that, sometimes, and that's bad!

• Agree 1

I reset everything back to default in xml file, default settings for wheel in game, Wheel profiler switched damper and spring on to 100 (normal 0 on those).

In game very bland, Wheel and Tyre Friction 0 or 150 no different.

So went back to using FFB Force of 5 in xml, low Sat and high Suspension, as per my previous post using Tony Rickards post / Grumps original as basis.

Feedback is a lot better, again Wheel and Tyre Friction sliders make no difference whatever the setting and wheel profiler still has 100 spring and damper.

2 minutes ago, Nicsos123 said:

Is Codemasters able to give us an answer ro not? 

Page 1 of this thread

On 3/1/2019 at 1:22 PM, ChristinaMc said:

Hi all,

We've said on numerous channels we're looking into the FFB concerns raised by the community. However, please be mindful that FFB is very nuanced and any changes will affect all surfaces, cars and peripherals. As much, our investigation needs to be detailed and thorough - any rash changes are unlikely to improve anything!

Please limit your concerns to one topic, too - I can appreciate your concerns, but spamming the forums won't help us work any quicker.

Thanks,
Christina

Day 24. Any word on whats going on? 

• Agree 1

Posted (edited)

I get that the FFB takes time to improve and implement properly; and that it can do more harm than good if it´s rushed.

But what about the game-breaking-issues ? Sound completely turning off during a Stage, and people not being able to take part in the Online-Events and people STILL loosing progress now more than 3 weeks after the game was available for the Deluxe-people and these bugs were mentioned ? These are the things that should have TOP-priority; and yes, in my opinion should have been fixed by now. The almost non-existant information on these topics doesn´t help either.

Maybe Codemasters wants to cramp as many fixes as possible into one update; maybe due to wanting to spare some cash (I don´t know off the top of my head if patching still costs money on the consoles; if not this point is of course moot). As I said; fixes for FFB somewhat ok to take  longer (of course not optimal as well; and it doesn´t help that the feedback from Codemasters on these issues is pretty bad and SHOULD be improved in my opinion), But more than 3 weeks to fix game breaking issues ? Absolutely NOT ok.

But I´m of course also aware that for SOME people the "suboptimal" FFB counts as a game-breaker as well.

Edited by Civarello

On 3/2/2019 at 9:43 PM, DelDredd said:

I reset everything back to default in xml file, default settings for wheel in game, Wheel profiler switched damper and spring on to 100 (normal 0 on those).

In game very bland, Wheel and Tyre Friction 0 or 150 no different.

So went back to using FFB Force of 5 in xml, low Sat and high Suspension, as per my previous post using Tony Rickards post / Grumps original as basis.

Feedback is a lot better, again Wheel and Tyre Friction sliders make no difference whatever the setting and wheel profiler still has 100 spring and damper.

Wheel and Tyre friction has same effect as DR1 - there is no efect. In general, i feel that FFB almost same as in DR1, but in DR2 FFB is more consistent and less random (T300RS, btw)

1 hour ago, Decks said:

Day 24. Any word on whats going on? 

Getting Dirt4 vibes here. 'We are working on it' .... silence for years.

• Sad 1
  • Agree 2

Posted (edited)

I came across this on reddit yesterday:

"

Hi all,

Just wanted to comment here after taking a week off - I'm now back in the office, although we do have a few people out at GDC at the moment which is also why it's been quite quiet our end. Just on some of the discussions I've seen: we'll be patching the game hopefully Wednesday (subject to approvals and everything going smoothly). When that's all locked in, you'll get the full patch notes. We've addressed a lot of the stuff you've been asking for... the FFB is with our handling team, so no changes on that front - but we've managed to squeeze a lot in for this patch. I'll have specifics for you when it's all confirmed, but please rest assured that we're on it.

We're not ghosting anyone, and everything people have said around all corners of the @dirtgame community has been reported back. It's worth mentioning that it's just me here, and when I'm not commenting on stuff it's likely I'm in meetings fighting your corner and voicing your frustrations around the studio. We've got loads more to come - patches, seasonal content, additional features and all - so please, stay tuned!

Cheers, Christina

https://www.reddit.com/r/dirtgame/comments/b1u25s/please_stop_ghosting_us_codemasters/

Edited by _BorisTheFrog_
  • Agree 2

19 hours ago, virgism said:

Wheel and Tyre friction has same effect as DR1 - there is no efect. In general, i feel that FFB almost same as in DR1, but in DR2 FFB is more consistent and less random (T300RS, btw)

Same as DR1? I have a TX wheel and I totally disagree. Wheel and tyre friction  had effect in DR1, none in DR2. Plus we don't feel any suspension work whereas it was awesome to feel every little bump in the road in DR1. So FFB is less consistent in DR2 than in DR1. But maybe FFB issues are not the same on every wheel or support...

So many testers, so many people with hands on experience pre release how in gods name did this pass quality control ? it beggars belief. 

• Agree 1

With Xbox One(X) I rather drive with pad and wait if they, at some point, finally manage to do that ffb fix. Before that

I don''t use wheel, I drive DR1 to satisfy my wheel/rally urge.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Micka3719 said:

Same as DR1? I have a TX wheel and I totally disagree. Wheel and tyre friction  had effect in DR1, none in DR2. Plus we don't feel any suspension work whereas it was awesome to feel every little bump in the road in DR1. So FFB is less consistent in DR2 than in DR1. But maybe FFB issues are not the same on every wheel or support...

Remember that wheel/tire friction requires Damping to be enabled in your wheel profiler to have an effect on PC.

• Agree 1

21 hours ago, Civarello said:

But what about the game-breaking-issues ? Sound completely turning off during a Stage, and people not being able to take part in the Online-Events and people STILL loosing progress now more than 3 weeks after the game was available for the Deluxe-people and these bugs were mentioned ? These are the things that should have TOP-priority; and yes, in my opinion should have been fixed by now. The almost non-existant information on these topics doesn´t help either.

Audio cut-outs and game/server stability have been a priority of ours - our patch tomorrow will address these. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Posted (edited)

59 minutes ago, ChristinaMc said:

Audio cut-outs and game/server stability have been a priority of ours - our patch tomorrow will address these. 

Please tell me graphics have also been a priority as we need to be able to see where we are going once the FFB is fixed. When are the patch notes released?

Edited by FLAW3D
  • Agree 3

I also hope that they fix the bugs on the graphics on lower power consoles and that we can thus see the car and the track well:classic_sleep:

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, ChristinaMc said:

That sounds as if the Always-Online-Stuff is going to stay (at least for the foreseeable future) ? Not a good decision in my opinion. Even if the stability will be improved, the DANGER of these things happening again will always be there as long as the Career is depending on Racenet. And to be honest, these are things I REALLY don´t want to worry about during gaming; and may the chance for that to happen be oh so small. 

Nevertheless, thanks for the reply. Really appreciated.

• Agree 1

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, bogani said:

Remember that wheel/tire friction requires Damping to be enabled in your wheel profiler to have an effect on PC.

Not on most simulators it does not, at least with G25, I did read something somebody posted about the wheel settings being multipliers for the Damping and centering for the games forces. Maybe for his specific wheel and arcade games.

In any case Enabling Damping and Centering in wheel profile had no effect whatsoever for me with DR2.

I still don't get how they put game out with very limited FFB in first place, only Steer Angle Torque and a triggered effect for Cattle grids is very poor for a car racing supposed Sim.

Edited by DelDredd
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, _BorisTheFrog_ said:

I came across this on reddit yesterday:

"

Hi all,

Just wanted to comment here after taking a week off - I'm now back in the office, although we do have a few people out at GDC at the moment which is also why it's been quite quiet our end. Just on some of the discussions I've seen: we'll be patching the game hopefully Wednesday (subject to approvals and everything going smoothly). When that's all locked in, you'll get the full patch notes. We've addressed a lot of the stuff you've been asking for... the FFB is with our handling team, so no changes on that front - but we've managed to squeeze a lot in for this patch. I'll have specifics for you when it's all confirmed, but please rest assured that we're on it.

We're not ghosting anyone, and everything people have said around all corners of the @dirtgame community has been reported back. It's worth mentioning that it's just me here, and when I'm not commenting on stuff it's likely I'm in meetings fighting your corner and voicing your frustrations around the studio. We've got loads more to come - patches, seasonal content, additional features and all - so please, stay tuned!

Cheers, Christina

https://www.reddit.com/r/dirtgame/comments/b1u25s/please_stop_ghosting_us_codemasters/

Yay! That's really heartening. I think an official, sticky comment at the top of the forums saying the above basically, but without any specific time commitment, might have saved some snarky comments here.

But then again, so what... If they deliver, we are all going to be seriously happy and grateful. The FFB getting a fix down the track (hopefully soon) is understandable if it's a complex problem.

We're all supporting you Codies, despite some of the wailing and gnashing of teeth 😉

Also, 'loads more to come, patches, seasonal content' 🙂

Patience is key here, folks.