Darkness and rain all the time

I’ve posted my piece about the darkness in other threads on here, but doing my career and I’m in New England. Okay, nice fall scenery and so on. But, even in fall, a stage shouldn’t be night-time dark at 1651! If it’s this dark at 4:51pm, that’s winter time. Not fall. I mean, I live in Ohio so I don’t know how dark it gets further north, but it seems a bit exaggerated, for a fall/autumn rally, if it’s this dark by 5pm. Anyone in NE able to confirm? 

CB35FEB2-B9B2-4344-A859-9DD915E7D59D.jpeg

• Agree 1

Posted (edited)

My schedule for Spain (Career - Elite) Dry-Wet/Wet-Dry/Dry-Wet/Wet-Dry/Dry-Cloudy(but still wet).

Great...

I mean, I know I can choose dry tyres for a long stage and trying to keep up on a short wet one. But this is just ridiculous at this point.

Hell, that reminds me of the early Codies F1 games where you had rain in Bahrein almost every time (before they eventually patched it).

spain.jpg

Edited by poupoule

19 hours ago, tharding67 said:

I’ve posted my piece about the darkness in other threads on here, but doing my career and I’m in New England. Okay, nice fall scenery and so on. But, even in fall, a stage shouldn’t be night-time dark at 1651! If it’s this dark at 4:51pm, that’s winter time. Not fall. I mean, I live in Ohio so I don’t know how dark it gets further north, but it seems a bit exaggerated, for a fall/autumn rally, if it’s this dark by 5pm. Anyone in NE able to confirm? 

Depends on the month.  The sunset is around 4:30pm in November in the northeastern U.S., but you could argue the foliage would peak in mid-October in that region.  Granted, it’s a little off.

https://www.timeanddate.com/sun/usa/portsmouth-nh?month=11&year=2019

the rain and darness is totally ridiculous.

take argentina for example, even on a perfectly sunny day you cant see **** with the absurd screenshaking due to bumps, now add night time and rain and you might as well close your eyes and try to complete the stages.

someone explain to me how I can make argentina visible when driving, adjusting screen shake does absolutely nothing.

Posted (edited)

The developers played too much... Heavy Rain...

Sarcasm aside, I think they try to balance the lack of content and make it more varied by making it always rain and night. I think building more locations into the base game instead of selling it as DLC would have helped but who am I to judge.

Edited by dreampage
  • Agree 1

12 minutes ago, dreampage said:

The developers played too much... Heavy Rain...

Sarcasm aside, I think they try to balance the lack of content and make it more varied by making it always rain and night. I think building more locations into the base game instead of selling it as DLC would have helped but who am I to judge.

You play each time of day in a progressive pattern (day, sunset, dusk, night) and the weather is random I believe - they haven't tried to balance it at all, there's just no 'patterns' to the weather, it picks one of the available ones at random.

I really hope it can be changed to something similar to D4's system, but they're not trying to 'hide' something as part of a conspiracy.

Have you guys considered making your own championship in custom championship ?

You can easily make your own with whatever weather or time you want and you don't need racenet/online for this. I prefer doing this instead of the career mode. Much more options and freedom.

I'm also doing the Historic Championship and the weather is more balanced their, only 1 or 2 out of 5 stages is rain.

Today I started my next rally in "Career" mode (it's such a bare-bones mode I have to put it in ""). Spain. 6 stages. Only 2 stages are dry, but both of them are at night. Three are daytime but wet, and one is both night and wet. So basically there are no sunny, dry conditions during this rally. None out of 6 stages. I think it's highly unrealistic.

Yes, custom championship are fine but they are pointless since they don't give you money or any kind of progression.

• Agree 1

Posted (edited)

It reminds me a situation in Project Cars 2: random whether mostly results with rain. Even in locations known to be dry whole year. SMS has rejected requests for fixing this issue admitting it's as designed, therefore it's not a bug (like others non-working features). In fact, PC2 contains finite number of weather types, with wet types being more than 50% (6 rainy, 3 snowy, only 1 clear sunny, out of 17 total). It's obvious that simplistic randomization with even distribution across whether types must result with too much rain.

Edited by MaXyMsrpl

Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, MaXyMsrpl said:

It reminds me a situation in Project Cars 2: random whether mostly results with rain. Even in locations known to be dry whole year. SMS has rejected requests for fixing this issue admitting it's as designed, therefore it's not a bug (like others non-working features). In fact, PC2 contains finite number of weather types, with wet types being more than 50% (6 rainy, 3 snowy, only 1 clear sunny, out of 17 total). It's obvious that simplistic randomization with even distribution across whether types must result with too much rain.

Not quite true... Pcars has light cloud, Medium Cloud and Heavy Cloud which all have the sun coming through. Also Overcast is another dry option as well and Haze and Fog.

Having played through the career several times on PCARS 2 not a chance over 50%   of the races are raining.

Edited by FLAW3D

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, FLAW3D said:

Not quite true... Pcars has light cloud, Medium Cloud and Heavy Cloud which all have the sun coming through. Also Overcast is another dry option as well and Haze and Fog.

Having played through the career several times on PCARS 2 not a chance over 50%   of the races are raining.

Just to make it clear: we both are talking about PC2?

Firts of all the career has weather scripted. so your findings might be irrelevant.

At second, I know that there are few dry conditions. The point is there are too few comparing to wet ones to be realistic when using implemented random feature. Finally this issue has been extensivy documented by reports and discussiob on pc2 forum. 

While pc2 topic seems to be OT, it might give a suggestion why DR2 has unbalanced occurence of particular conditions.

Edited by MaXyMsrpl

OK, so I may be wrong but it seems unlikely Codemasters are going to post an explanation any time soon, so...

Each career event has four time slots:

Day

Sunset

Dusk 

Night

The game cycles through these chronologically, starting each event at a random one. So there are a lot of 'dark' stages because as many take place in the middle of the night as during the day - basically, rallying in DR happens in evenings only.

Then the bigger issue for me; weather. There have been plenty of comments about never seeming to get two stages together of the same surface conditions and it seems in some cases this is 100% guaranteed to be the case.

Let's take USA.

For day and night time slots, there are four weather options. Basically, two dry and two wet, so 50/50 chance of either.

But for sunset, there are only two. And both of those two have a wet surface. So basically, every four stages you're guaranteed one will be wet 100% - it's impossible to get a dry event.

And for dusk? There's only one weather set - and it's a dry road (with cloud). So again, every stage following the guaranteed wet stage is dry; you cannot have a full event run over a wet weekend. You are guaranteed in any career event to have a wet sunset followed by dry dusk.

The other locations are similar.

So it begs the question, why is this the case? It seems a huge step backwards from Dirt 4 in this regard and even DR1 was arguably preferable. This is, to me, pretty much the only area of the game where this is the case.

I hope there are plans to add morning, noon and afternoon versions of stages and to increase the number of weather options available as well as some weather 'patterns' for days.

But either way, it would be good to know if this is a purposeful decision, why it was taken, if the feedback on it has been heard and whether there's any hope for it being addressed going forward.

• Like 2
  • Agree 5

7 hours ago, RodgerDavies said:

But either way, it would be good to know if this is a purposeful decision, why it was taken, if the feedback on it has been heard and whether there's any hope for it being addressed going forward.

I don't think Codemasters is going to spend much more resources and money on the game based on how broken it is in certain areas. They probably have all the DLCs ready so the team can move on. It's sad but it's the same situation as the 2 previous games where they could just tweak it and make something to remember, and that's the problem, they will always leave something broke so people by the next one with a hope for fixes. 

2 hours ago, CodingRacer said:

I don't think Codemasters is going to spend much more resources and money on the game based on how broken it is in certain areas. They probably have all the DLCs ready so the team can move on. It's sad but it's the same situation as the 2 previous games where they could just tweak it and make something to remember, and that's the problem, they will always leave something broke so people by the next one with a hope for fixes. 

This is my last Codemasters game if it doesn't get the support it deserves. I basically paid 3 times full price to get dr2 seeing as it mostly contains dr1 and d4 content. The only thing new are some of the locations and it's unique share of bugs.

• Agree 1

Last time I watched a stage rally at 2am was never because it never happens.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Agree 2

Yep, I'm not sure how this was rationalized.  I guess having some variation makes it interesting but this is complete overkill. 🙂  Hey Codies, why not transfer the extreme weather frequency into the damage simulation instead, and then you will have it right. 🙂

• Agree 1

@RodgerDavies That is an excellent summation, of a sad situation which seems rather bizarre. Did they lock weather to certain times of day due to the additional lighting expenditure required? Why lock sunset to wet roads?

What you have suggested is really, seriously needed for this game. Properly unlock weather so rallies can be fully dry sometimes, fully wet other times, and others a realistic mix between the two.

• Agree 1

On 3/12/2019 at 10:20 AM, RodgerDavies said:

OK, so I may be wrong but it seems unlikely Codemasters are going to post an explanation any time soon, so...

Each career event has four time slots:

Day

Sunset

Dusk 

Night

The game cycles through these chronologically, starting each event at a random one. So there are a lot of 'dark' stages because as many take place in the middle of the night as during the day - basically, rallying in DR happens in evenings only.

Then the bigger issue for me; weather. There have been plenty of comments about never seeming to get two stages together of the same surface conditions and it seems in some cases this is 100% guaranteed to be the case.

Let's take USA.

For day and night time slots, there are four weather options. Basically, two dry and two wet, so 50/50 chance of either.

But for sunset, there are only two. And both of those two have a wet surface. So basically, every four stages you're guaranteed one will be wet 100% - it's impossible to get a dry event.

And for dusk? There's only one weather set - and it's a dry road (with cloud). So again, every stage following the guaranteed wet stage is dry; you cannot have a full event run over a wet weekend. You are guaranteed in any career event to have a wet sunset followed by dry dusk.

The other locations are similar.

So it begs the question, why is this the case? It seems a huge step backwards from Dirt 4 in this regard and even DR1 was arguably preferable. This is, to me, pretty much the only area of the game where this is the case.

I hope there are plans to add morning, noon and afternoon versions of stages and to increase the number of weather options available as well as some weather 'patterns' for days.

Just quoting this again because it's so important. If anyone from Codies is reading this...

So the full set of weather conditions for each country are below. Remember that the career mode championships cycle through these time periods (day, sunset, dusk, night) without any percentage chance of each occurring, so you will always get as many 'night' stages as 'day' stages as things currently stand.

The main thing that jumps out at me is that:
a) Certain events (NZ, USA) are impossible to have all dry OR all wet events.
b) The 'sunset' and 'dusk' conditions are not only sadly lacking in variety, it is impossible to see the sky at all for the 50% of each rally (average) which takes place at these 'times'.
c) Dirt4 nailed this part of the game really well, having multiple day times to work through so the entire event doesn't take place in the evening. 
d) Leaderboards are split by dry/wet, so I don't understand the aversion to adding other weather conditions for various times.

I would love someone to discuss this on the blog or podcast to let us know the thinking process behind doing it this way, as well as whether people disliking it has been heard and if there's a chance anything can be done about it or not. To me, it's the main one thing holding back the superb 'game' that we have here and it's my #1 request for anything that could be worked upon and improved as I use this mode more than any other.

AR 
Day  clear-dry, cloudy-dry, showers-wet, rain-wet
Sunset cloud-dry
Dusk cloud-dry, heavyrain-wet
Night clear-dry

So Argentina is the event with the best chance of a dry event, but it’s impossible for more than 50% of the event to be wet. Despite there being a 50% of heavy rain at dusk (and no chance of this heavy rain at any other time of day), even when it rains the night is clear and bone dry.

AU
Da clear-dry, cloudy-dry, showers-wet, rain-wet
Su  cloud-dry, overcast-dry, cloud-wet
Du cloud-dry
Ni clear-dry

Just about the best chance of an all-dry event - this weather pattern arguably makes a little sense, because rain would be expected to arrive at one time of day (if at all) and dry up through the day. However, you only have a 25% chance of seeing the sky in Australia at all before the middle of the night (and even when you do it will be cloudy for the entire evening).

NZ
Da clear-dry, cloudy-wet, showers-wet
Su cloudy-dry
Du heavyrain-wet, lightrain-wet
Ni clear-dry, cloud-wet, showers-wet

So the first event where it’s actually impossible to have a consistent surface throughout an event. New Zealand only has dry sunsets and rain of varying intensities at dusk. And you will always get both of these in every event.

PL
Da clear-dry, heavy rain-wet, overcast-dry
Su cloud-wet, cloud-dry, showers-wet
Du cloud-dry
Ni clear-dry, cloud-dry, heavy rain-wet

Theoretically possible to have all dry over a ‘day’, but that chance is around 14%. What is clear is that, like every event, there is no chance of seeing the sky for the 50% of each rally that takes place during the evening.

ES
Da clear-dry, cloud-wet, showers-wet
Su overcast-dry, cloudy-wet, light rain-wet
Du cloud-dry, cloud-wet, showers-wet
Ni clear-dry

The rain in Spain falls nearly all the time. But never at night. 66% chance of a wet surface on each and every single daytime stage but miraculously 100% chance of dry surface at night.

US
Da clear-dry, cloud-wet, showers-wet
Su cloud-wet, showers-wet, 
Du cloud-dry
Ni clear-dry, cloud-dry, showers-wet, heavy rain-wet

As discussed before, it is impossible to have an all-dry or -wet event in the US, as the sunset into dusk transition will always go from wet to dry.
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2

Posted (edited)

Fact is that in real world rallying, there are very very few night stages. Also 99% of rallies in places like Spain, and Australia should be dry and sunny. Wet stages should be a rare hazard to scupper a championship or rally plan, not a constant irritation, and immersion breaking feature.

Edited by Rallystu2
  • Like 1
  • Agree 7

4 hours ago, Rallystu2 said:

Fact is that in real world rallying, there are very very few night stages. Also 99% of rallies in places like Spain, and Australia should be dry and sunny. Wet stages should be a rare hazard to scupper a championship or rally plan, not a constant irritation, and immersion breaking feature.

As a frequent real-life rally attendee, your comment is 100% true, night stages are very, very rare and more often than not are SS stages under lights or in towns for the start/finish.

I've just done a career event in USA and 3 of the 6 stages were at night, 2 with rain, 1 dry, then 1 at dusk and 2 in the day (1 with rain) This is completely unrealistic from a time of day perspective.

The weather is another matter, rain and the heavy 'lightsabers for raindrops' rain can of course occur but please Codies take into account the actual country. USA, NZ, Argentina, Spain and Australia are not 'wet climates' so why so much rain? Poland should be middle ground rain, the rest should be a 1 in 6 ratio or so not the current 3 in 6 average I seem to be experiencing. When the likes of Wales comes to the game (if) then sure go crazy with the rain...

• Agree 4

On 3/13/2019 at 10:44 AM, nickrroo46 said:

Should be re named DARK Rally. Its sucking the fun out of the experience.

I much prefer Dirt Blurry 0.2 

• Like 1
  • Disagree 1