Track Degradation

Posted (edited)

Hey guys I got a question regarding the new track degradation system.

One of the features that made me pull the trigger on this game was the addition of track degradation, I've played iracing and PC2 Rallycross and was really impressed with there systems and how the tracks degraded, multiple lines forming, ruts etc.

After 30 hrs of play in Dirt 2.0 I am starting to question this feature and what happens as I don't see any permanent marks/ruts being left during RX events.  Rally events only seem to have only one car (yours) on track and the track degradation is based on your starting position.

Reading an article regarding the new feature it doesn't say it's dynamic and really only says the top 15 positions will have a fresh track and p15+ will have a harder time as the track gets torn up.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/gamingbolt.com/dirt-rally-2-0-interview-track-degradation-weather-system-and-more/amp

Can anyone confirm if the track is live and dynamic or just 3 baked presets with altered grip levels? 

Cheers

Edited by KuruptCDN

3 hours ago, KuruptCDN said:

Hey guys I got a question regarding the new track degradation system.

One of the features that made me pull the trigger on this game was the addition of track degradation, I've played iracing and PC2 Rallycross and was really impressed with there systems and how the tracks degraded, multiple lines forming, ruts etc.

After 30 hrs of play in Dirt 2.0 I am starting to question this feature and what happens as I don't see any permanent marks/ruts being left during RX events.  Rally events only seem to have only one car (yours) on track and the track degradation is based on your starting position.

Reading an article regarding the new feature it doesn't say it's dynamic and really only says the top 15 positions will have a fresh track and p15+ will have a harder time as the track gets torn up.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/gamingbolt.com/dirt-rally-2-0-interview-track-degradation-weather-system-and-more/amp

Can anyone confirm if the track is live and dynamic or just 3 baked presets with altered grip levels? 

Cheers

The degradation is simulated based on starting position, however it isn't just 3 modes of wear. 

There are three 'chapters' of wear, but 150 progressive steps within the framework.

• Agree 1

Posted (edited)

150 progressive steps ?

Is this actually true, or what has been said ?

“Even though you can drive down the same stage a thousand times, these stages are going to present a different challenge every time.” Ross Gowing 2019

🤔

Edited by Grumps82

So this whole degradation story isn’t dynamic. Well, it would be strange if it was. Only one car on track at a time...... My question would be ‘why is this game graphicly so demanding if this degradation stuff isn’t dynamic’ 

I just want to know the difference between Full and Authentic. Because on career mode it's always set on Full, but when i set it on Full on custom games the road is always rutted. Is "Authentic" the realistic way to go?

• Agree 1

Shouldn't it all just be authentic anyway? Don't see why there are any options other than maybe on or off

Indeed, but for some reason the sp career always runs it on full.

The running order is broken at the moment. As it stands the championship leader and rally leader run last on the road. It should be, and hopefully will become the championship leader running first on day one and then the rally leader running last on days 2 and 3. I would prefer only the top 10 to be flipped on days 2 and 3, but I'm not sure that will happen.

I nearly always get rutted roads in career because since I use Group A, the R5s run always first.

I don't think I've driven on anything other than full degradation in career mode yet. Every stage has been extremely rough and rutted.

Started an R2 career the other night without knowing about the broken AI. Because I was getting smoked, I got to start 2 & 3 on a few stages for the first time in career, but they where still full degradation. Surely if there was another class going ahead of me it wouldn't still be full. Wish I had checked, but the WR AI times made me abort in the 2nd rally.

Does running order/degradation work as intended in free mode?

I don't know what degradation mean for Codemasters, buti don't see any difference... 😮

Also i don't know what these settings mean: and what is the difference:

- Realistic
- Optimal
- Full
etc.

Why no a F. Users Manual released yet?

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, mesa said:

I don't know what degradation mean for Codemasters, buti don't see any difference... 😮

- Realistic
- Optimal
- Full
etc.

Same is true with every other option including FFB settings. There is no text explaining what the options do. Odd I say, as the first incarnation did a good job, tutorials, explanation of settings on FFB etc.

Brace yourself for this: yet MORE strange omissions from a half-baked game! 🤫

10 hours ago, mesa said:

- Realistic
- Optimal
- Full
etc.

Oh, THE MANUAL, that thing that used to come with a game (non Deluxe/Prime/Day One edition). It would be nice having a PDF at least. 

• Agree 2

10 minutes ago, CodingRacer said:

Oh, THE MANUAL, that thing that used to come with a game (non Deluxe/Prime/Day One edition). It would be nice having a PDF at least. 

Believe it or not Dirt Rally 2.0 actually comes with a manual but like the game its half done.

• Haha 1