Dirt Rally 2 stuttering every 2/3 seconds

Posted (edited)
On 10/3/2019 at 2:38 PM, mesa said:

Wait wait wait. Hold up. You're telling me a guy whipped up a patched dinput8.dll that entirely solves this issue? The issue that's been plaguing DiRT games for years and years? The issue that a multi million dollar company with 500 employees, releasing triple A titles and makers of the official F1 game hasn't been able to solve in what, half a decade? It works. Stuttering is gone.

While the guy behind this obviously is an absolute legend, I can't believe Codemasters are actually that incompetent. It's impossible. To me it doesn't look like the debugging he has done is that advanced. Looks to me the only answer is Codemasters never gave a damn. Some social media manager writes a few lines on the forum every now and then, much cheaper than actually debugging and fixing the issue I guess? While the development team is busy creating more DLC's to bring in more money instead of fixing a basic and fundamental part of the game. I'm absolutely speechless. Thank you for posting this, even if it's crazy that it's needed in the first place.

If I understand correctly, the game engine is (for no reason) polling for input device changes every two seconds causing this stuttering. How has this been overlooked?

While DirtFix suspending the input polling does avoid the problem, it would be better if polling only occurred when PnP notifications indicated a change. This can be done using RegisterDeviceNotification or by handling WM_DEVICECHANGE.

Seems like the guy even suggests what Codemasters should change to fix this. Codemasters, fire some of your social media people and hire this guy instead. Please. Have some pride in what you do. This is absolutely embarrassing.

Edited by os3n

os3n, I think exactly the same. It shows well the attitude of Codemasters and there is no way CM can argue against this. I'm really disgusted about CM now.

I bought Dirt Rally 2.0 only for the VR support (I had Dirt Rally 1, but no "official" support on HTC Vive), so it's disapointing.

Now I have to fix the overall performance, trying to get fairly decent graphics whithout being stuck around 40 fps (and when I say decent, I don't mean Ultra, I hope I could reach Medium + AAx2).

Thanks for your support guys, You're more helpful than the dev themselves.

9 hours ago, os3n said:

If I understand correctly, the game engine is (for no reason) polling for input device changes every two seconds causing this stuttering.

Yes. Exactly that's the problem.

Thank you Sberci for the recommendation,! The DX hack (simonowen) worked for my stutter linked to my fanatec shifter. I run a rift s, Win 10 64, i4790, 1080, 32GB. Can run at high settings no stutter. 

Yes this DX hack has fixed the Dirt Rally 2.0 stutter for me on PC with a G29 plugged in. I've had this stutter drive me mad in Dirt Rally 1 and Dirt 4 before this, I see the fix says it will fix those games too! Unbelievable!! Surely there are people at Codemasters who have been made aware about this guys diagnosis and fix. I am simply ASTOUNDED they've not implemented their own fix in the development and support of 3 triple-A games, what on earth is going on there? Not one single developer there willing to go back and fix it (yes, for all 3 games)? Totally shocked, I thought they seemed like one of the better developers out there, but this stinks of amateurism or a serious issue in their core programming team.

• Agree 3