Dirt Rally 2 stuttering every 2/3 seconds

Posted (edited)

Hi

Since buying Dirt Rally 2 (dr2) I've not been able to play it because every 2ish second I get a micro stutter. I am a windows game programmer, so I understand about bug testing and narrowing the issue down to find where the problem is.

I've done loads of testing, changing resolution, graphics setting testing and it seems its an issue with USB input controllers being connected to the system. Obviously not all, as some seem not to have this issue.

Please can you look at this issue. Thankyou.

Richard Lovett
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

OS: Windows 10 Home| Mobo: ROG-MAXIMUS-X-HERO-ASUS-1301ATX | CPU: Intel i7 8700K @ 3.70 GHz | CPU Cooler: Water cooled| Memory: 16GB (2x8G) 3000MHz CL9 XMP|  Graphics: GeForce GTX 790 4GB PCI-Express HDMI EX OC x 2 in SLI Mode (Forceware Version) 419.17  | Display: 19"x3 Acer AL1916W  1440x900 @ 60Hz + LG 65UF950V TV | Sound: Sound Blaster Audigy Fx | Joystick: Thrustmaster T.16000m GMX: Triplehead2go Digital Edition (Powerdesk Version) 2.08.05.011

Edited by cooldude11
  • Agree 2

Posted (edited)

Yes, it is indeed related to USB input as you've discovered with the rest of us. This was present in the first game too, all the way from early access to present day. It was never fixed. Codemasters are once again saying they're looking into it but don't hold your breath. I followed this issue with the first game closely and Codemasters basically went quiet after a while. I firmly believe they are unable to fix it and just stalling for time to prevent as many refunds of 2.0 as possible. I refunded 2.0 immediately when I found the same problem was carried over to 2.0 and I recommend everyone affected by this to do the same, if they still can. I find it very unlikely that this will ever be fixed. It's infuriating that we all have to troubleshoot and spend time on this when Codemasters have been aware of the problem for ages. They're charging AAA money for a game with an engine they know can't even handle USB-input properly and not informing customers about this. It's unacceptable.

Edited by os3n
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

Yes, its just not right at all.makes this sim

undriverble. Please tell me how to contact CM directly, then I promise I will get this matter fixed....

I do have form in getting big software companies to act/ even change thier minds on content inclusion.

Was envolved with Microsoft flight sim. basically after 20 years and new releases every 2 years in the year 2000 they took the feature to fly using the mouse, effectively making it unusable by houndreds of thousand of people, both disabled, like me, and vurtually every mobile laptop user not wanting to buy a joystick to carry around with them.

So I first wrote some software to put mouse flying back in, then got on the beta team, showed them the thouseds of emails support for enabling the feature, then, very proud, got them to reinstate it in all subsequent versions.

Anyway, just told you so you know how focued I cn be.

Sorry for late reply, had no knowlege you'd replied. Please if you know someone with this issue to get behind me on this.

Thanks mate.

Dirt Rally 2.0 disconnects my keyboard every few seconds and this results in stotters. I'm disconnecting the keyboard while playing and at least i don't need it in the game. Since the update i also have to dis- and reconnect my Ascher Racing buttonplate and the HE sequential shifte to use it, but this is just another problem with the game and it lists the devices but ignores inputs. 

Posted (edited)

I reinstalled windows , added a new motherboard, and changed my wheel base to a Fanatec podium DD1 and game now does exactly this... its quite noticeable especially if you have freesync/gsync on ,games is unplayable atm, has anyone have a workaround for this issue ? btw i have several simulators that have no issue whatsoever so its definitely only in Dirt 2.0..

Edited by linocarreira

There's a trick that stops the game using the 1st core, allowing the other programs to use it. Stops corner stuttering and speeds up stage loading times if you have an SSD. It might work

Load DiRT Rally

Open Task Master,

Goto Details.

Find DiRT Rally, right click and select Affinity.

Delselect CPU 0.

That 1st core thing has nothing to do with this. Every n seconds there is a cpu spike, it has nothing to do with overloading cores. I believe it is the game doing some dodgy polling with the usb steering wheel . For me if i unplug my logitech wheel the spike goes away and use xbox controller.......errr but i want to use my wheel. Don't know if it is just happening with logitech wheels, but that is what causes it for me. So yeah just have to live with it, doesn't have a huge impact but it is definitely there.

I was a bit miffed to hear this existed in previous game and yes still have not sorted it.

There are a lot of threads about this problem since 1.0

It seems DR2 has more problems with newer HW. I have pointed out this bug myself after each update in the bug thread and the rhythm stutter thread. I have also the frametimes graphic attached but nothing is happening. 

• Agree 1

Same here, sometimes it runs good for me, and sometimes it has that stutter every 2 seconds, even in the menu. The only way I could temporarily fix it is switching some usb plugs around. It works for a couple of stages, maybe 3 and then it starts back again. Tonight I finally gave up and went back to Assetto Corsa. 

• Agree 1

Yep, there seem to be plenty of us reporting this same issue across multiple threads. Please can CM prioritise this a little higher for investigation?

Anyone reading this thread with the same problem... please "vote up" this thread using the up arrow to the left of the subject at the top, in case that helps draw attention!

For me, it only happens in VR with headset connected, although clearly it's an issue for some people using the standard desktop version, and since a long time before VR support was added. I can tell when the issue is there by the periodic CPU spikes on the "Developer > Advanced Frame Timing" chart in SteamVR every 2 seconds, even when CPU & GPU are under little load on the menu.

I posted more details of troubleshooting I'd tried, what worked (sometimes) for me to fix it, along with pictures of the charts on one of the VR bug threads, but they keep getting replaced with new threads for each new update, burying any feedback people put effort into supplying.

Sometimes I can resolve it by disconnecting/disabling certain USB devices, sometimes by actually attaching then unplugging an ADDITIONAL device, but the specific devices & USB ports seem to vary day to day, and sometimes I simply can't resolve it even if I unplug everything except my keyboard and/or mouse. Needless to say, I've not had the problem before in any other titles, including original Dirt Rally, even tested immediately before/after having the "every-2-second" stutters in DR2.0 with all the same devices attached.

Have the same problem since i upgraded to a new motherboard and a 9700K.  Only if i remove my steering wheel, pedals, handbrake the game runs smooth again. But whats the point of driving without

Yep same problem for me... wheel plugged in and glitches like clockwork every 1-2 seconds. 9900K + RTX2080 + 32GB + TMX Pro Wheel + Index VR

Posted (edited)

Count me in as another one with the same issue. Amazing how it seems to happen so often right as you're entering a corner...half second later and... poof...suddenly you have two wheels off the road.

Edited by HeavyHemi

Tracked my stutter to my fanatec shifter. If I unplug it after game start it goes away. Soon as it is plugged back in it starts again. Doesn't matter which USB port I use.

Try pausing, pressing Alt+Enter to change between full screen and windowed, wait a few seconds, and do it again.  This so far has fixed it for me 100% of the time through many versions.

Posted (edited)

I registered on this website just to tell CM how bad they are, and I regret my purchase, but apparently, Sberci, you are more useful than 3000 developpers who cannot fix the problem !
Thank you ! (not Codemasters...)

EDIT : It just solved this issue with an Ultra Low setting, no AA.

But the game is not smooth AT ALL on anything higher than Ultra Low settings, with a RTX 2070 super... !!!

Still stuttering.

Codemasters, I left a bad review on Steam (and I know you don't care, thousands of people complain on the forums but nothing changes)

I'm so dissapointed... CM, you're really bad and you know it.

Edited by Rom95380

Everything Ultra Low, but render quality on High, my FPS are doing something like 45,80,45,80,45... every second

1 hour ago, Rom95380 said:

I registered on this website just to tell CM how bad they are, and I regret my purchase, but apparently, Sberci, you are more useful than 3000 developpers who cannot fix the problem !
Thank you ! (not Codemasters...)

I think, the only useful person is he who developed this workaround,  Who is Simon Owen as you can see 🙂 Some stages especially in Poland are very bad optimized there are too much objects in the screen. Every gpu are bottlenecked at some area especially in the forest.

Posted (edited)

But I tried with Monte-Carlo, and it's really crazy that the game cannot run better than that on a 2070s. it basically means we are stuck on low, no AA while on other games we can acheive a much higher quality. 

I'm pretty sure there is a real problem, it's not just us who are asking too much. 

Just look at how many people watched this topic compared to other topics... Codemasters, please do something ! 

Edited by Rom95380