Tarmac physics fix for wheel users

hello folks

after a full week of avoiding the dreaded black stuff, i found something that i think may help ya'll using a wheel, goes against what you may think, but feel free to try it out and let us know here 😉

ok, i used the evo 6 group A for this, 1st run was with full stiff suspension, zero feel with the wheel, so, for a laugh, defaulted the settings and then changed all the suspension to SOFT, full soft, springs and anti roll were left alone and transmission was adjusted to suit my style.......... its a game changer IMHO, its transformed the game for me, ill put a link to the video when youtube has finished its magic so you can see what settings were used. if your struggling with the FFB and physics on tarmac, please, try this now

looks like the load up on the FFB is suspension triggered and not from tyre load, try it anyways folks, i used the usual trick and turned SAT to 150 on my TX wheel, i use 125 default

hope this helps some folks out, like i say, its worth a try

happy monday

MM

• Like 1

Interesting. The tarmac bits in Australia felt great with a gravel setup car.

May be worth a look into for the devs working on improving the FFB. The tyre forces have to be more pronounced but without ruining the SAT.

• Agree 1

exactly my comment mate, the gravel to tarmac transitions on gravel rallies feel good, like a gravel car on tarmac would feel.

i was stunned when this worked, the only thing left in 'tarmac trim' suspension wise was the ride height.

try it now folks

MM

Ok i tried the EVO with your suggestion.Does feel good i must say.Did the same to my fav Porsche and it became and oversteery, snappy beast.LOl, seems just like the opposite should  have happened ............. Ill keep messing around as i really really really want to enjoy tarmac this time.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Madhun1967 said:

Ok i tried the EVO with your suggestion.Does feel good i must say.Did the same to my fav Porsche and it became and oversteery, snappy beast.LOl, seems just like the opposite should  have happened ............. Ill keep messing around as i really really really want to enjoy tarmac this time.

ye man, i only drive 4WD group A and B to be honest, i should have stated that hahahaa,

iv no idea what the physics is like for all the other classes, i just struggled like mad from the off with spain and weird feeling through the wheel.

heres me evo tune

dirtrally2_2019_03_04_21_33_19_565.jpg

dirtrally2_2019_03_04_21_33_22_432.jpg

Posted (edited)

IMO I've found that even just small tweaks to the suspension tuning has made a significant difference in the handling and overall ffb feel.

Myself, I haven't gone the extreme soft route as you as I prefer a slightly stiffer feel than what the base tune offers.

Either way tuning seems to have a big influence on the overall feel and ffb.

Reminds me alot of the base tunes in iracing...numb ffb and a lack of feel.

Than try a VRS tune and the cars come alive and can be felt through the ffb better.

Edit: adjusting the ride height will lower the center of gravity, eliminating alot of the body roll which in return should give a tighter feel through the ffb.

The negative of lowering the ride height to it's min. Setting is compressed suspension, lose of suspension travel and bottoming out.

Not sure if Dirt rally implements a underbody skid plate model...but in other games it would effect the handling when contact is made aswell as effect the suspension damage and slow your times.

Edited by KuruptCDN
  • Agree 1

yes mate, agreed, it wasnt a preference to go soft, it was just a night n day difference in 'FFB' feel between a hard setup and soft setup, and was now alot of fun to drive so i didnt spend any time tuning from there. the ride height was a compromise between being low but not too low that small cuts on corners would be effected. it wasnt a setup for breaking any records with 😉 

this is more of a suggestion for peepes like me that just couldnt get on with the sealed stuff. going soft and then dialing in the suspension is probably the way to go, iv just been too busy going 'WOW this is ace' to have done any of that hahahahaaa

on a side note, and iv discussed this with other DR players, i was always under the impression that going full soft on a setup was basically a gravel setup, which for me shouldnt have been possible with a car built for a sealed surface rally, but, it looks to me now that a full soft setup on tarmac is just the softest setting for the tarmac suspension, which is good. i could be wrong on this mind hahaha

MM