Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Events - How to stop the cheats?

So, if I've been reading the signs right we will have an event each weekend that coincides with an actual F1 race.  Fantastic, looking forward to it.  Managed to get 3 golds in the first events, hopefully I can continue that.

But, we have the obvious problem of people cheating.  Should Codemasters just accept that it happens and to hell with it?  Or should they try to combat it? If they choose to do something about it, how do you think they should address it?

I've been thinking and the only thing I can come up with, will have people shouting 'thats not realistic, doesn't happen in F1' etc etc

First of all, the 'Cut Corner' penalty MUST be switched on, it wasn't for the Suzuka event. Now I think we are all starting to see some videos where drivers were blatantly going straight on at the chicane. If you haven't seen them check out the official game reddit thread. (If im correct Chris Groves is a moderator there so he must have seen them too) However, the cut corner penalty is so short that when it's finished, these cars are still doing over 200kph and so they are still way faster than anyone who actually took the chicane normally!!

So my solution would be that if the cut corner penalty is triggered then that car should come to a complete standstill, 0KPH/MPH.  Don't like the penalty?  Don't cut the corners!

As I said, it's not realistic, it doesn't happen in F1, but plenty of people here were rightly annoyed when this issue became obvious, so I think its a topic worth discussing.

So tell me, what would your solution/idea be?  Or do we forget about it and just put up with it?

Apply F1 rules. If the corner is cut to gain an advantage, then stewards impose a 5 or 10 second penalty. As there are no pit stops, it just gets added to the final time. That should be the approach throughout rather than jiggering about with the engine.

12 minutes ago, iainc said:

Apply F1 rules. If the corner is cut to gain an advantage, then stewards impose a 5 or 10 second penalty. As there are no pit stops, it just gets added to the final time. That should be the approach throughout rather than jiggering about with the engine.

OK, hadn't thought of that, but can see the sense in it

I'm against penalties that risk hurting players just racing.  You can be forced into a corner cut  by another player/bot or in an effort to avoid contact so the penalty should not be so severe to take you out of a 1 lap race.  First turn at Monza is one example, with a grid start pile up, it is better to drive past it in the grass even with the slow down.

I think you are talking more about short cuts or cut throughs, which the current slowdown prevents gaining advantage for the most part but for some season was disabled in the GP events.

Or if/where possible, place hard barriers in the map to prevent taking advantage.