We need to address the unpenalized corner cutting

Posted (edited)

Love this game, been having a blast, but we are going to NEED to address some of the insane cuts you are allowed to get away with right now. Certain sections of stages you can literally ignore a couple of corners and be driving in the grass for 200ft (60m) turning a "6 Right 6 Left 5 Right" into "Flatout Right Long 150 through grass". And not just on the shoulder with 2-3 tyres off the road - we are talking about being multiple car length deep into the grass. 

Just look at some of the top leaderboard times being posted right now. I don't even hold it against any of the drivers, if CM won't penalize then it shouldn't be on the drivers to self-police. But when drivers are capable of chopping 5 seconds off the WR time just by cutting behind some trees and blatantly ignoring a few turns while they barrel through the grass - well the whole "online to prevent cheating" becomes a useless feature when you don't even need to cheat anymore since the game doesn't count it as cheating.

Cutting should still be viable, learning where to abuse it by staying within the flags like DR1 used is as much of a skill as learning to drive by calls. But when it is getting this blatant, we really need to address it before Codies is left with the tough decisions - erasing Time Trial leaderboards and forcing everyone to race again again or keeping the old times that made insane cuts which will never be matched post anti-cutting patch to reign supreme on the boards.

edit - nothing personal Gemini and love chasing your times, but come on, we all know some of those cuts push wayyy passed anything reasonable and into the realm of Forza arcade style cuts. You were digging up potatoes on a farm two towns over with some of those cuts =P

Edited by CatBadders
  • Like 2
  • Agree 5

Now you know why the stages in the first 3 countries in D:R had those harsh banks on the edge of the road.

1 hour ago, SkiddyMcCrash said:

Now you know why the stages in the first 3 countries in D:R had those harsh banks on the edge of the road.

is this really the reason???? o_O 

if yes then it's not the right way to prevent cheating,by ruining such a good game

i'm sure they are other ways to do it

Posted (edited)

Yeah, I’m not about leaderboards but I would love to see more punishment for going offline, more rutted fields or more rocks in key cuts; the downhill three right in USA you can take flat by running wide into what should be a muddy cesspit.

Even just a guaranteed puncture for it would do.

Edited by RodgerDavies
  • Agree 1

In Time Trial shortcuting is penalized (invalidated lap time) at least in the RallyCross tracks (I didn’t check on Rally stages yet). Only fair to have the same elsewhere.

Just make the terrain bumpier. Is an easy way. Can't make a massive 0.5 km cut if there are big bumps all over the place

9 hours ago, SkiddyMcCrash said:

They could always hide them banks a good few meters out in the vegetation in DR2. 

It sure needs adressing somehow, I've seen numerous ghist cuts already and I'm not up for doing that to stay competitive. 

• Agree 2

Posted (edited)

Germany had reasonably well placed reset zones to restrict big corner cuts didnt it? Seems like the best solution 

Edited by pigloaf
  • Like 2
  • Agree 2

Posted (edited)
33 minutes ago, pigloaf said:

Germany had reasonably well placed reset zones to restrict big corner cuts didnt it? Seems like the best solution 

reset zones, that's the way!!!!   not ruining a game with roadbanks that sends you to the moon like dr1..........

Edited by teknoid85
  • Agree 1
  • Disagree 1

As I don't really care about leaderboards at all it doesn't really interest me, but when we get in touch with leagues/clubs it could get interesting...!

In my opinion there should not be any reset zons at all. I feel that the only way to reset you car is manually by the user and if that is the case you get a random 30 sec - 5 minutes penalty just as in real life where bystanders push the cars maybe even set penalty to how far away from de road you are. 

To prevent conercutting random bumps, treestumps and other s**t should be added outside the road. 

• Agree 1
  • Disagree 1

I guess the best way to go about it would be to grab footage of the exploitable areas and send it to Codemasters who'll make a call on whether they should have reset zones added or not.

just make certain distance from track = penalty. job done. cutting on some events is already obvious. ideally this needs tweaking.

• Agree 4

Make the terrain bumpier and apply penalties without reseting like in RallyCross. That makes it a double punishment.

I think that resetting the car and or adding piles of impenetrable sand ruin the experience and the dive. a middle ground would be uneven ground, much to hop the car and in addition to reduce traction, in the grass especially when it is wet in reality any car starts to slip, the advantages would be less cuts given the loss of control and no loss of immersion. if you then want to be punitive add a lot of boulder and who tries to cut the second time thinks well before doing it. for me this is the right solution without ruining the experience.

I can't believe that the only person with a reasonable answer to the problem was @dgeesi0 .  You only need to add a time penalty for major infractions.  Don't destroy a car if there are no obstacles there IRL, and no need to reset a car (unless you really are super worried about people seeing your unfinished stage design).

Anyway, in real life they now also issue penalties for such extreme cutting so it seems to make sense to add it in the game.  However, it is a lot of work to make it fair. 

As a sidenote I've had my car reset once or twice where I was just making a turn around to get back on the road safely and easily, its an infuriating nanny system.  Let me deal with it, I have the button if I need help.   😉

Thank you

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

I believe that the only reasonable answer to the problem is the one that is technically possible to implement by the devs. Adding a time penalty sounds far easier and feasible in the short term than taking the tracks back to the drawing board...

• Like 1
  • Agree 4

8 minutes ago, Mastoideu said:

I believe that the only reasonable answer to the problem is the one that is technically possible to implement by the devs. Adding a time penalty sounds far easier and feasible in the short term than taking the tracks back to the drawing board...

less work for devselopers, more fun for drivers, it's a win-win 😄

Posted (edited)

I really struggle to understand what's the point in having a safari excursion just to boost your gamertag up on the leaderboards. Even if there was no ghost and people couldn't see your blatant cheating, it's still no achievement to be on top of the LB like that. It's just boring 😴

Edited by richie
  • Agree 2

Does anyone have news regarding CREST for DR2.0? Will it be implemented soon?

I miss that fancy little tool from DR1.0. Would clearly help identifying the issue raised in this topic, apart from others.

Posted (edited)
23 minutes ago, richie said:

I really struggle to understand what's the point in having a safari excursion just to boost your gamertag up on the leaderboards. Even if there was no ghost and people couldn't see your blatant cheating, it's still no achievement to be on top of the LB like that. It's just boring 😴

I think the answer is very simple though as to what the point is: society seems to be valuing being at the top and very few people care how you got there.  So it doesn't matter to people for example watching YT vids of world record times that 90% of the time the driver would have absolutely destroyed a car in real life and probably inured themselves.  They just see the win and don't even know the risk.   And to be frank, Codemasters is playing to this exact wreckless driving trend as well, with the almost non existent damage for example in Career mode (you can plow into rock faces so hard you'd be a pancake IRL but nothing more than 10k of repairs in the game).  How lame.

Edited by bn880

7 hours ago, RodgerDavies said:

the downhill three right in USA you can take flat by running wide into what should be a muddy cesspit

Know that exact corner, and honestly that isn't even the worst of them. Abusive? Sure, a bit, but you're swinging wide on corner exit. Should probably be "muddier" like you say and sink you in more, but there are plenty worse. 

4 hours ago, pigloaf said:

2 hours ago, dgeesi0 said:

just make certain distance from track = penalty. job done. cutting on some events is already obvious. ideally this needs tweaking.

Germany was fantastic with it. If you watched for the flags and cut directly after them and were back on tarmac by the corner exit flag it was considered legal - if you were early or late it would reset you. Remove the reset, add a penalty, and make any run with a cut penalty invalid for the leader boards. Problem completely solved.

• Agree 1

Posted (edited)

germany also had some mega cuts which didnt penalize you. :classic_biggrin: main one that bothered my were some of the wales ones like on sweet lamb.

Edited by dgeesi0

Posted (edited)

Yea they eventually fixed those sweet lamb ones with some bushes so hopefully they can do something about others in future. It sucks if they have to reset the leaderboards tho so they should definitely address it asap. 

While they are at it I wish they could find a way to display the names of console players to steam players and vice versa. There's no satisfaction in beating Dirt Player, even if he is french. 

Edited by Cortextual
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2