Sign in to follow this  

Autosport and steam Region Lock

Fully agree Flash i would rather have a few cars on grid lagging now and then than an empty server.
Grid online on your own is no fun!
:-?

lag is secondary issue to the population amount !
there is no lag to fix when you can't find nobody online !! :D
for sure this solve definitely people complain... 
like I not remember anyone complaining about the grid2.. .lol. 

This is all under the assumption that there'll be nobody to play with, as I said above, let's see how it goes. We'll be watching and monitoring the situation closely.

@mcnab

That may be so, but how do you define an acceptable level of lag? What happens if you're racing in Open Wheel and someone else lags slightly, touches your front wheels and ends up ripping your front wing off? That'd be race over potentially.

Is a fine line between someone having a bit of lag that is controllable to someone joining a lobby that is bouncing all over the place because they've got a ping of 650ms+

So ping threshold will be (????)
250ms for example?
or 150ms?
or its tuneable?
or ?

And only ping calculated or packet loss too? if yes, how much % of loss acceptable?

It was rare for Grid 1 to play with laggy guys.

@Loore

Online is always like an unstable balance system, because is self-powered and self-influenced.
Split people by assumption will be populated for divine reason is just ignore how online dynamics work.
Online population work like an unstable balance with ripple effect. Split people=pull fuel from the system.
Without fuel online will run for inertia some months. 
Even an horse can run without eat. This not mean he do not need food.

I have question to CM. 
Is there some man who played, for example, GRID1 5days per week for 2-4 hours(like a lot of ppl at this forum wich giving you advise) till servers turn off?
I mean someone from Codemasters members.

You can not answer but think about it.
Making game and playing game is very different things.
If players wil tell you how to write code better - its crap, if devs tell players how to play better...well, you understand me.

Loore said:
lag is secondary issue to the population amount !
there is no lag to fix when you can't find nobody online !! :D
for sure this solve definitely people complain... 
like I not remember anyone complaining about the grid2.. .lol. 

This is all under the assumption that there'll be nobody to play with, as I said above, let's see how it goes. We'll be watching and monitoring the situation closely.

@mcnab

That may be so, but how do you define an acceptable level of lag? What happens if you're racing in Open Wheel and someone else lags slightly, touches your front wheels and ends up ripping your front wing off? That'd be race over potentially.

Is a fine line between someone having a bit of lag that is controllable to someone joining a lobby that is bouncing all over the place because they've got a ping of 650ms+
@Loore imo any level of  lag in Grid 2 is acceptable, for e.g yesterday morning around 7 am GMT i fired up Grid 2 there was no custom lobbies to join so i changed my steam region 3 times cant remember what the last region was but i eventually found a lobby and joined, yes the gameplay was not excellent a bit of lag,high ping,packet loss whatever at least i could play.

I know GA will be more populated than Grid2 and hopefully we wont have the shortage in players problem, but from my experience around 50% of the players around the world have a good enough connection to play with anyway, thats better than region lock with no players to race with yesterday.

Then we have the players in the far corners of the globe changing their steam region to london so we are getting the laggy players in the servers anyway,

So how does it work when GA is not region locked and say the playlists are a complete mess with lag? Can the game be locked at a later stage,does the download region in steam have a global setting that can be changed ( i know atm it does not),will the players have the option to set it to their own country??

P.s keep up the good work so looking forward to GA

:-bd :-bd

hola said:
Region lock all the way. Less chances for laggers
Guess you won't have to worry about lag with only 4 players in the lobby on a week night.

Loore said:
Sorry guys, missed this while I was out of the office last week.

I did speak to the team and the way it works is that the system is in place to ensure that vast majority of drivers are placed with racers of similar ping, as a result you shouldn't experience any situations where lag becomes the determining factor of a race.

The last thing we want is a lobby full of people with mis-matched internet connections otherwise it would create total chaos and I'm sure instead of threads like this we'd have "Fix the lag Codemasters!" or similar.

However! We are going to be monitoring the situation, we appreciate you're concerned about this after it becoming a factor for GRID 2 but this is GRID Autosport, they are two completely different games and a direct comparison isn't probably the best thing right now. We'll be watching the situation and if we need to act we'll look at our options, we've got a few ideas kicking around from the team already but right now, let's just see what happens once the game is in your hands.

Under no circumstances are you 'locked' out from playing with others, if you've got a racing buddy the other side of the world you can still invite them into a lobby, there's no problem there.

Where game going draw the PING line? At 150 or 200 or 250? At 150 nobody should be laggy. But from my experience I'm not laggy when racing with Euro guys at 200 PING. A PING of 300 and you will be laggy. Somewhere between 200 around 300, players become laggy.

Now the big question, will game search globally for hosts to join and list the hosts ( or put you in a playlist host ) that you have a reasonable PING to? Or will game only look for hosts in your region, say only Europe or only US?

Loore, in this touring car video I did of GRID 1 back in Dec 2008, most players were Euro and I'm in the US and most players were stable on the track. In the GRID 1 days, players from Australia and Brazil were more likely to be laggy. US and Euro players with good connect to internet are able to race together, even Russians with a good connection.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y1665__K3tg

Purple44 said:
hola said:
Guess you won't have to worry about lag with only 4 players in the lobby on a week night.
I won't have to worry about as there's always lots of players in my zone, no matter the game I play.

If you have to worry because you are njot that lucky when It comes to this, then that's your problem. All I want is you to not be able to switch my region and lag everyone in a room.

CM please have no mercy with this. Region lock mandatory, for the sake of online quality experience.

watching this video it reminded me the amazing   Milano city track that for em its best city track in Grid series..
plz codies add it in GAS...  ^:)^  [-O<

Oscar97 said:
So you've got an opinion on a game that isn't even out yet.
yes, why not, for the same reason CM think is enough watch videos and images instead of a Demo of the game.
When they will release a demo i will have a demo based opinion. At now my opinion is based to all info i have read here on forum and videos.
Is not all bad, to be clear, i like this game. I like how they fix corner cut penalties and the effort to reintroduce some stuff like cockpit view and a good handling.
But the game online lack of important stuff like streaming text chat and spectate mode. Plus a region lock that not help game longevity.
This is just an opinion. And something more... because don't forget, this game is related and connected to grid2 even if much difference are introduced. And online mode is almost a copy and paste from grid2.
Tell me i'm wrong and you make me happy, cause i just searching for the game fun like we had into grid1.

hola said:
Purple44 said:
hola said:
I won't have to worry about as there's always lots of players in my zone, no matter the game I play.

If you have to worry because you are njot that lucky when It comes to this, then that's your problem. All I want is you to not be able to switch my region and lag everyone in a room.

CM please have no mercy with this. Region lock mandatory, for the sake of online quality experience.

Would not resticting players from joining host by PING be a better way to handling laggy players online, than using a mandatory Region lock?

So you want to stop me from racing online with some the best online players over in Europe. I should just stick to racing players here in the west coast of the USA? And you know we are talking about PC version of GRID Autosport? The online community for PC racing is a lot smaller than for console versions, especailly if Devs screw up online where online players stop going online like what happen with GRID 2. Region lock was one the many reasons why GRID 2 online died off by Christmas.

And you can see in my video, US and Euro players can race together without lag, be it GRID 1, GRID 2, Flatout 1 or Flatout 2. :)

Will Codmeasters warn the buying public that players will be restricted by regions if Codies decide to do mandatory Region lock? Codemasters got into hot water when they did not warn Steam buyers of DIRT 2 that if live in the wrong country, GFWL would block you from going online. I don't think Codemasters want to go through a similar situation with mandatory Region lock. Mandatory Region lock would be an automatic no buy for me, even if GRID A get text chat.

Most online players want to race good players from around the world. Like we use to do in Flatout 2 and GRID 1.

Purple44 said:
hola said:
Purple44 said:
 I don't think Codemasters want to go through a similar situation with mandatory Region lock. Mandatory Region lock would be an automatic no buy for me, even if GRID A get text chat blahblahblah
ok Don't buy It then