Sign in to follow this  

Why F1 2014 failed on producing a realistic racing experience

AI have over powered tyre wear
AI cannot overtake unless you make a mistake
AI cannot defend
AI are over powered in the wet
Safety car never comes out unless it's monaco or you are involved
AI never retire unless you are involved.
Pit stops are always 3.7 seconds
Pad is OP
You need mods to fix the first lap pace of the AI which is literally amateur speed even in Legend difficulty
Flashbacks still cause crashes

Now how much of that was in F1 2013? Almost all of it. 

Anon848 said:
And the main man in charge of overseeing it has bailed to go and play with trains
Just retweeted by Alex Gillon re T4RG4! Hahahahaha

https://twitter.com/Alex_Gillon/status/548928123677728768?utm_source=fb&utm_medium=fb&utm_campaign=Alex_Gillon&utm_content=548928123677728768

Anon848 said:
And the main man in charge of overseeing it has bailed to go and play with trains
Er, no he hasn't. He's gone to work on a flight sim... Hence Alex Gillon's pic of a flight sim and joystick.

Your forgetting LAG
LAG
LAG
cant kick idiots from lobby
OP controller assists are magnified  x400 over 50% race distance
LAG
wet weather forget it on a wheel vs pad
LAG
LAG
Side pod glitch crap
and finally...
LAG

The problem with CMs recent F1 games when it comes to single player modes is that it is so obvious the AI are programmed and computer controlled. This sounds like, and is, an obvious statement, because of course the AI is programmed, however my point is that a good, well-developed game will make playing against a human and a computer as seamless as possible, to the point that the player experiences no difference between the AI and other human players.

This is why F1 2014 fails to deliver a realistic experience because the AI do not operate in a way us players can, as shown through the examples the OP had listed amongst other things. Essentially, the AI needs a lot of improvement so that they match the "performance" of humans far better than they currently do. Understandably there will always be a degree of robotics when it comes to the AI, but with the technology and the experience CM have of making F1 games, the AI simply aren't good enough in 2014. 

I'm not sure what's funnier; The fact that the same two members are attempting to "troll" the forum, or the irony in the last attempt on this thread.

As for the original post:
1. AI have over powered tyre wear
2. AI cannot overtake unless you make a mistake
3. AI cannot defend
4. AI are over powered in the wet
5. Safety car never comes out unless it's monaco or you are involved
6. AI never retire unless you are involved.
7. Pit stops are always 3.7 seconds
8. Pad is OP
9. You need mods to fix the first lap pace of the AI which is literally amateur speed even in Legend difficulty
10. Flashbacks still cause crashes

1. Incorrect. It's a matter of setup and driving style. I've seen many and I myself can match the AI for both speed and tyre wear. Most people I've seen complain about this are people that use time trial setups.
2. Debateable. Depends if you're weaving around too much. Drive like a real F1 driver would and this is much less obvious.
3. True in most cases. Possibly down to the game engine and old hardware.
4. Same as number 1. It's absolutely possible to match them in the wet. Again, most people complaining are driving like it's dry.
5. Somewhat true. Though it's more dependant on where you are on the track when an AI car has a problem. (If you're a few seconds behind an AI car that has an engine failure and stops on track then the safety car is much more likely to make an appearance).
6. Completely incorrect.
7. A result of an animated pitcrew that run to a script.
8. Very debateable. Depends on the track and the player. (Or maybe the dominant wheel users were only dominant because they used wheels that gave them an advantage and now it's nullified?)
9. Yes. Down to hardware again most likely.
10. Yes. Though to be fair, simply not using them is a good remedy for this.
How much was in 2013? Well yes, of course most of it's come from 2013, it's the same game engine that they've been running at the limit since 2012.

I'm not sure what's funnier; The fact that the same two members are attempting to "troll" the forum, or the irony in the last attempt on this thread.

3. AI cannot defend
8. Pad is OP
9. You need mods to fix the first lap pace of the AI which is literally amateur speed even in Legend difficulty

1. Incorrect. It's a matter of setup and driving style. I've seen many and I myself can match the AI for both speed and tyre wear. Most people I've seen complain about this are people that use time trial setups.
2. Debateable. Depends if you're weaving around too much. Drive like a real F1 driver would and this is much less obvious.
4. Same as number 1. It's absolutely possible to match them in the wet. Again, most people complaining are driving like it's dry.
5. Somewhat true. Though it's more dependant on where you are on the track when an AI car has a problem. (If you're a few seconds behind an AI car that has an engine failure and stops on track then the safety car is much more likely to make an appearance).
6. Completely incorrect.
8. Very debateable. Depends on the track and the player. (Or maybe the dominant wheel users were only dominant because they used wheels that gave them an advantage and now it's nullified?)
How much was in 2013? Well yes, of course most of it's come from 2013, it's the same game engine that they've been running at the limit since 2012.
Its to easy to say because you can do something its ok when clearly there are issues that are being left without a patch. Your first point is true but that doesnt mean the op is wrong! If playing carrer mode the AI will ALWAYS have better tyre life unless the car your driving has all the r@d which dont happen most seasons. If ive got 10% more tyre wear, 10% less downforce and mechanical grip then my tyres DO wear quicker than the AI no matter what the setup. Thats not to say I cant match them on some tracks but some are to noticable in carrer with no r@d on the car. Point 4 is my biggest problem with the game and from what ive seen and read 90% of the ppl who play the game say the AI are far to quick in the wet and need slowing down. How can I go from being 1 sec a lap quicker in the dry to 5 sec slower in the wet? And no I dont drive like I do in the dry. Point 8  has been tested many times by myself and many others and it is the case that on a pad the game is lifeless as the cars are on rails!! Even some pad users say they dont like it they have such an advantage. You may think that over 1lap there isnt much difference but over a long stint (50-100% race) its almost impossible to match a pad. Even tc on the wheel gives a big advantage over no tc so to say a pad with built in assists isnt quicker is a joke with the 2014 game. Btw what is wrong if the wheel is faster? surely that is what anyone with a brain would think no? dont see Alonso sat in his new mclaren with a control pad in his hands. End of the day we all have a opinion on these issues and looks like were being left with a mess of a game (some areas) again so bring on pcars and I might finally stop going bk to f1 so much :)  

6. Completely incorrect.

3. AI cannot defend
8. Pad is OP

6. Completely incorrect.
woah woah woah

pad has been confirmed as OP in multiple videos

also have you tried using a wheel in the wet? impossible

@Mike On certain tracks that is true. There are some tracks however where the pad is hopeless compared to the wheel due to the slow turn in. Suzuka as one example at the Esses, the wheel is much quicker. The pad understeers a lot more whereas the wheel has much less traction. (Though stick rich mix on a pad and it isn't much better). Don't get me wrong, I'm by no means saying it's acceptable as it should go without saying that both control types should be equal rather than "balanced". As for the wet, I can't really comment as my own personal experiences I've always been just about able to match the AI. I've not read much of the forum lately so if there is a glaring problem then I'll redact my comment on that.

@dixon That is true yes. I probably could have worded that better. But as you say, it is still possible to match the amount of laps that the AI can do before they pit, it's just much easier to do with the R&D upgrades. Adjusting the setup slightly in the earlier races helps to fix it somewhat although you're obviously sacrificing ultimate pace for it.
I race with a group of people, half of which use a wheel and they're more often than not able to keep pace and dependant on track go quicker than the pad players. Obviously, due to less traction their rears go off so they end up losing more time at the end of a stint but it's nowhere near as exaggerated as some had claimed at release. Again though, this is not me saying they shouldn't patch it. If they can make it so both control types are even, then I welcome a possible patch just as much as those genuine wheel users who are disappointed.
I have to strongly disagree though that it wouldn't matter if the wheel is quicker. I know it's more authentic but it is a video game not a simulator. People should absolutely not have to pay a large sum of money just to go a bit quicker on a game. A better playing experience though, without doubt. At the risk of sounding like a broken record, equality across control types should be the target.

Ok I agree that we should all have a equal chance of winning but my point is without hidden assists a pad will or should always be slower (imo) its a bit like me replacing the wheel in my car with a pad and expecting it to handle as good lol! I agree that ppl shouldnt have to spend on a wheel to go quicker but think about it logically and like I said a wheel should always be a better option for a racing game. I should prob have said a good pad user v a good wheel user than just generally tho. If 2 ppl were 2tenths apart on the last games (wheelvpad) this year the gap is alot bigger on the pad most tracks over a long stint.

vtidixon said:
Ok I agree that we should all have a equal chance of winning but my point is without hidden assists a pad will or should always be slower (imo) its a bit like me replacing the wheel in my car with a pad and expecting it to handle as good lol! I agree that ppl shouldnt have to spend on a wheel to go quicker but think about it logically and like I said a wheel should always be a better option for a racing game. I should prob have said a good pad user v a good wheel user than just generally tho. If 2 ppl were 2tenths apart on the last games (wheelvpad) this year the gap is alot bigger on the pad most tracks over a long stint.
Yeah but the whole point is that the pad DOES have the hidden assists making it OP. Good luck trying to be competitive without them though, with regards to this years handling model. 
ive stopped worrying about the wheel vs pad debate nowadays, I only compare myself to other wheel uses and have just conceded the fact the pad is way OP and don't take their lap times' seriously compared to mine