DIRT rally 2.0 is'nt a simulator !

DIRT RALLY 2.0 is not a simulator. It is and remains an arcade. Beautiful as a graphic but without physics and without FFB. Unfortunately, after 16 years, only Richard Burns Rally remains the one who comes close to the feeling of a simulator. In rally simulators because both Assetto Corsa and ACC are valid. Unfortunately. But after 16 years you could not do a beautiful and new copy of Dirt rally, finally try to copy and simulate the physics of RBR-World? I understand that this remains a game arcade to sell game pieces that will soon be abandoned but have a new Colin or Burns rally still not? after over 16 years .....No chance to make a new rally simulator at least by name? If after almost 20 years RBR is still beautiful, because Dirt back on the shelves there will be a reason! Sorry.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Disagree 6

I think it's funny you have registered in the forum just to say that RBR is better then DIrt Rally 2.0. 

I want to see real rally drivers trying¬†both games and giving their opinion, so far i¬īm seeing more RBR players praising the game¬†then criticizing it.

• Like 2

Sry but I've raced mx for over 10 years (not a pro by any means but I can throw a nasty whip over a 80+ foot jump while pulling a tear-off and taking a deep breath bc in mx thats ur down time lol), in the first dirt rally I posted times regularly in the top 300 and above, rallycross ive got top 10 times. So please explain why when 2.0 dropped I am posting similar results even now that we have combined leaderboards (understanding ruts track degeneration and traction on dirt is my speciality)... Me thinks people like you lack the ability to read terrain and feel for traction.  Or as guy already eluded to ur here only to spam us with BS

Posted (edited)
On 3/11/2019 at 11:33 AM, CV65 said:

DIRT RALLY 2.0 is not a simulator. It is and remains an arcade. Beautiful as a graphic but without physics and without FFB. Unfortunately, after 16 years, only Richard Burns Rally remains the one who comes close to the feeling of a simulator. In rally simulators because both Assetto Corsa and ACC are valid. Unfortunately. But after 16 years you could not do a beautiful and new copy of Dirt rally, finally try to copy and simulate the physics of RBR-World? I understand that this remains a game arcade to sell game pieces that will soon be abandoned but have a new Colin or Burns rally still not? after over 16 years .....No chance to make a new rally simulator at least by name? If after almost 20 years RBR is still beautiful, because Dirt back on the shelves there will be a reason! Sorry.

Please define simulator, and don't use words like "kind of, like, sort of", or use some sort of tournament to justify whether or not something is a simulator. If we're being technical, none of the games you just mentioned are "simulators". It depends on how far you're willing to destroy the definition of the word "simulation". Some people are content with completely mauling the word, while others seem to be obsessed with finger wagging while never actually defining the word. So, define it. I want a real definition. Not something that can be subjectively determined or interpreted. If you can't define it, please stop talking about what is or isn't a simulator. It's one of the most boring tropes in the sim racing community. Not to mention pointless.

Definition of simulator

: one that simulates especially : a device that enables the operator to reproduce or represent under test conditions phenomena likely to occur in actual performance

Given the fact that there isn't a video game on the planet that can actually do this, I'm pretty sure this conversation is over. The only reason professional drivers use games for practice is because the tracks are laser scanned and they're refreshing their memory so they can pick up the pace in actual practice. I don't care how good force feedback is, it's never going to simulate a car because it takes all of the information a driver would respond to, and puts it in the steering column of the vehicle. This is not how cars operate. I hate to break it to everybody.

Edited by ShadyBrady6
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Disagree 2

The phrase "racing simulator" is a marketing scheme in the video game industry. It's a marketing gimmick that convinces 13 year old boys who want to drive a Mclaren 720s it only costs $59.99. Game publishers also have working contracts with actual motorsport drivers who are payed to say things like "this is the closest thing I've felt to my actual car!!". Get over it guys. These are videos games.

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
L'11 marzo 2013 alle 17:33, CV65 ha dichiarato:

DIRT RALLY 2.0 non √® un simulatore . √ą e rimane un arcade . Bello come grafica ma senza fisica e senza FFB. Sfortunatamente, dopo 16 anni, da solo Richard Burns Rally √® stato come si avvicina alla sensazione di un simulatore. Nei simulatori di rally sono efficaci sia Assetto Corsa che ACC. Sfortunatamente. Ma dopo 16 anni non hai fatto fare una bella e nuova copia di Dirt rally, finalmente provare un incidente e simulare la fisica di RBR-World? Capisco che questo rimanga un gioco arcade per vendere pezzi di gioco che saranno presto abbandonati ma che ancora non hanno un nuovo rally Colin o Burns? dopo oltre 16 anni ..... Nessuna possibilit√† di creare un nuovo simulatore di rally almeno per nome?Se dopo quasi 20 anni RBR √® ancora bello , perch√© Sporcizia sugli scaffali ci sar√† un motivo! Scusate.

la differenza √® una: il mondo RBR non morir√† mai, le altre simcades finiranno sullo scaffale molto presto. In Italia i piloti professionisti che corrono nel campionato italiano, codriver, piloti che gestiscono campionati regionali, coppa italiana, si stanno allenando su RBR WOLRD, nessuno che compra simcade per console. un simulatore puro non esiste, ma il pi√Ļ completo e dedicato esclusivamente al rally, allo stage speciale, alla fisica, ai pacenotes rimane RBR. con gli amanti di simcade √® inutile discutere, sono offesi. ma ricordo che non vedremo mai piloti come Ricardo Moura, Andrea Nucita, Crugnola e molti altri che perdono tempo in wrc o series dirt. probabilmente noi italiani siamo abituati alla qualit√† (importante una buona e pi√Ļ veritiera fisica, non grafica e sonora).¬†

Edited by ale81udine

I'm inclined to disagree with OP, I think DR2.0 has quite a lot of physics. FFB could be better I agree, but overall I think it simulates driving on loose surface very well indeed. Can't wait for VR support.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

This simulator/arcade thing is so boring; tribalism applied to games.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Hello guys,

I am a very passionate sim racer and rally driver. I love Dirt Rally 2.0. I will give my opinion on physics as I've raced rally cars for 3 years (2015-2018) in Australia. I have raced a small Hyundai Front Wheel Drive car(950kg, 100hp), Rear wheel drive Holden(1500kg, 200hp) in forests/autocross and Subaru WRX Sti 2004 (1500kg, 250hp)
Youtube video & channel with onboard videos; this one below is the Hyundai 

I use OSW Simucube wheel and Fanatec V3 pedals, with Fanatec handbrake on my rig. Simlab P1 chassis.

I will break down my feedback by Category;

Tarmac physics:
No comments yet

Gravel Physics:
Front Wheel Drive: Seems pretty good, I feel overall more grip in DR2.0. I will say the acceleration traction/speed of the cars from standing start and in general is much more than real life. The surface variation across the road is modeled pretty nicely in DR2.0. I feel like the tire interaction with the surface is pretty nice also, there's nice variation. I will say in real life there is better feeling of the fine detail balance compared to Dirt Rally 2.0. Like in real life small touches to brake and steering affect the car balance, where in Dirt rally 2.0 i find myself being more aggressive with inputs to make the car do what I want.
RearWheel Drive: Basically same as above, however On-throttle power oversteer seems not controllable like in real life. I should be able to plant the throttle and manage the rear end quite easily(DR1.0 was great in this respect), but I can't in DR2.0 - I have to mange the car sliding and throttle input a lot more to keep control and speed of the car.
4WD: Same as above. Feels very good compared to real life. But again much faster in traction that in real life. I think 4wd is the closest of all 3 drive types. 

I will also state the wet surface modelling and variation with the ruts on the road is fantastic in DR2.0. I think the wet surface in DR2.0 is more like real life dry gravel feeling in my opinion. I like how accurate driving and neat driving is rewarded in DR2.0.

I encourage more development on the feeling of the cars compared to their real life counterparts.  

• Like 3
  • Agree 2

9 user from 10 said when Dirt 4 has released that Dirt 4 is "more real than life" and D4 physics is better than DR has.
Same 9 users found Dirt Rally 2.0 physics is better, even with lack of FFB effects.
Strange.

Posted (edited)

@CV65 - I look forward to seeing your name at the very top of the leaderboards for all stages...I mean, it's an "arcade game", so you should be pretty fast. Yeah, then I look forward to putting you in my rearview mirror, son.

Why is it that children these days feel that the whole world should listen to them whine and moan? Your parents do because they have to...we do not. Keep it to yourself, son. Nobody cares!

Edited by Habsolute
  • Disagree 1

the only thing this game simulates is how codies have got lazy and are just out to cash grab at every opportunity.lazy copy and paste from dirt 4 with little to no improvements.the graphics are over done to the point sun blume in center of windscreen even when sun is behind the car is just ridiculous,not to mention the solar eclipse that happens every time you enter a shaded part of most tracks,headlights that don't work in day light for the mentioned eclipse.ffb not been present,tyres that don't wear out.options greyed out not implemented,dont get me wrong hope all this gets fixed but history say not look at the false promises from dirt 4 and nothing got fixed so why change now lots of people on here saying thats cool we dont mind been taken for a ride.excuse the pun !!!

• Thanks 1

On 3/26/2019 at 2:04 AM, lucag120 said:

Hello guys,

I am a very passionate sim racer and rally driver. I love Dirt Rally 2.0. I will give my opinion on physics as I've raced rally cars for 3 years (2015-2018) in Australia. I have raced a small Hyundai Front Wheel Drive car(950kg, 100hp), Rear wheel drive Holden(1500kg, 200hp) in forests/autocross and Subaru WRX Sti 2004 (1500kg, 250hp)
Youtube video & channel with onboard videos; this one below is the Hyundai 

I use OSW Simucube wheel and Fanatec V3 pedals, with Fanatec handbrake on my rig. Simlab P1 chassis.

I will break down my feedback by Category;

Tarmac physics:
No comments yet

Gravel Physics:
Front Wheel Drive: Seems pretty good, I feel overall more grip in DR2.0. I will say the acceleration traction/speed of the cars from standing start and in general is much more than real life. The surface variation across the road is modeled pretty nicely in DR2.0. I feel like the tire interaction with the surface is pretty nice also, there's nice variation. I will say in real life there is better feeling of the fine detail balance compared to Dirt Rally 2.0. Like in real life small touches to brake and steering affect the car balance, where in Dirt rally 2.0 i find myself being more aggressive with inputs to make the car do what I want.
RearWheel Drive: Basically same as above, however On-throttle power oversteer seems not controllable like in real life. I should be able to plant the throttle and manage the rear end quite easily(DR1.0 was great in this respect), but I can't in DR2.0 - I have to mange the car sliding and throttle input a lot more to keep control and speed of the car.
4WD: Same as above. Feels very good compared to real life. But again much faster in traction that in real life. I think 4wd is the closest of all 3 drive types. 

I will also state the wet surface modelling and variation with the ruts on the road is fantastic in DR2.0. I think the wet surface in DR2.0 is more like real life dry gravel feeling in my opinion. I like how accurate driving and neat driving is rewarded in DR2.0.

I encourage more development on the feeling of the cars compared to their real life counterparts.  

What about the wet and icy tarmac in Spain and Monte Carlo. This feels very real to me and like the way you must countersteering and be gentle with the brake and trottle. What is your opinion on this?

Hey MarkHam207.

I think Tarmac physics are not exactly the same as real life but yes I agree the inputs you make in braking and throttle and steering are very similar to what you have to do on tarmac anyway. I get the feeling on all stages that my mind is doing the exact same things as when I'm in a real rally driving on stage so I am enjoying this game a lot. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Don't normally get into Forum trollguments and all the moaners coming in and saying this game and that game are rubbish and we want the cars to be red or this game is good on pc because it's been modded, but here's my ten pence worth.

@CV65, Richard burns rally was a total waste of space. I had it on release and it was just a carbon copy of Colin McRae games, yes it probably would have changed and advanced but we all know what happened, so with respect to a Top rally driver and great guy i'll say no more. It was only made any good from what I can gather by being hacked/modded and made so called better like that, back in the day if something was hacked/modded then people like you came in forums and complained that games were being hacked. yes it can be a pain in the a## when things aint right but you have a set of rules,settings and the equipment to use it on so find out what you got to do and come and show us your metal. Or maybe go buy a mountain bike simulator then you can compare the realism to what you are used to in real life :).

COLIN McCrae 2 was and still is probably the best rally game ever !!! FACT > on the basis of pure release content and game play, just a pity it was when graphics were new, so picture quality was poor, (just a quick dig at codemasters here, the latest games do come across as a bit of a rip off, due to lack of content and paying to get even half the content and cars that came with a game namely cm2 which you released nearly 20 years or more ago, where has your company pride gone) oh yeah F1 I forgot.

As for the people who are moaning about the ffb. I myself personally don't understand the issue, think most people expect to turn on and go without doing any work to make things work, or have found some fantasy settings that have worked in the past and because they don't work on a more modern game there not happy because mummy can't help them get it right, tech moves on and so do your settings. check out a certain video site youthingy lots of people post settings and car setups, if you look enough you may notice that all are rather different, now aint that strange, maybe setting up a car and a wheel could be down to personal preference, every setting will alter so many things and other settings need to be adjusted to make it all come together. if you think you go to a car manufacturer and bolt all the race gear onto the car and just go your very mistaken, tweek your game settings, FFB settings and most definitely your Car settings. one affects the other and no two people will be the same.

Simulator/Arcade thing is so old news as said above, if you want to get any of the racing games/simulators to work you can with the right knowledge and know how or maybe you should stick to the ones where you are in Auto, 3rd person view and can put fancy body kits on them and bounce off buildings to be fast, it's also about time someone grew some and made a game without any aids at all and made one fits all if it's on the race car in real life then we all got it, if it's an early car with nothing then we all got nothing, I suppose that would then be classed as a simulator, as it is simulating real life, I'm sure arcade is pacman other arcade games are in my thought's and available ūüôā sorry mr copyright man just plucked the 1st random one out my head ūüôā

And just before any silly little boys come screaming at me about this post, I DON'T CARE, I've done 15 years of various real motorsports and over 2o so years of simulated racing and regularly show on leaderboards on my favoured format PS4 , Even though i'm knocking on a bit now and maybe not quite as sharp as I was a few years back, admittedly I do think a little more effort could be put into the games and not just be blasted out for a quick cash in, but unfortunately money rules the world, have posted a topic listing for the CLUB MODE to come back as I think it is missed for friend interaction other than having to all be live at same time, take a look and add signature, it would be appreciated.

Me and my trusty T500 will leave it at that now, I think you get the jist of what i'm saying 

Edited by Nine-Red
missed signiture at bottom

On 3/11/2019 at 5:33 PM, CV65 said:

I totaly agree and dont think you are trolling either and i think Codemaster does so to sell on consoll. RBR is stil the only Rally game with proper understeer/oversteer that can result in hard contra, Dirt Rally 2.0 is far far to forgiven.  

There are already many consol player that use back cam and handhold controll that complain that its to hard, they want to turn down AI in Event but they cant etc. Codemaster want those consol players badly, everyone that makes games does they are many, they dont want to make it to hard i think.

RBR is a huge comunity, the game is free, its easy to find complete and up to date patches and mods (physics, graphics, cars , tracks). Latest updates are from this very month. So if you have a PC with a wheel try it, you will be punished with that Contra (after over/understeer) that you cant feel i  the Dirt Serie right away, you will also feel the wheel grip on left foot breaking much much more.,,

i have fun with Dirt, Dirt Rally serie and the graphic is great, but when i want a challenge its back to RBR

Edited by SimaLarioN

I disagree I love Dirt 2.0 and the FFB is Great Its my First game with Wheel.