Sign in to follow this  

Celebrating the women behind our games for #IWD2019 | Meet Scarlett

Even though International Women’s Day was last week, we’re continuing to shine a spotlight on some of the amazing women around Codemasters’ studios. This time we’re talking to with Scarlett Fu – Principal Web & UX Designer, Women in Games Ambassador, and all-round good egg!

Hey Scarlett! So: what is it that you do at Codemasters?

I’m a Web & UX Designer here at Codemasters, and am also a Women in Games Ambassador.

How long have you worked at Codemasters?

I’ve been working at Codemasters for 8 months!

How did you get into the games industry?

My fascination in games began at a young age, where the story-telling elements had always been the most important. How does the story captivate an audience just as they would from a book, a play, or a film? Games increase that level of immersion by allowing players to take relative control within the storyline, so they themselves become part of this journey into the fictional world. And that was what drew me into games.

I was initially unsure whether it was possible (or even how) to shift to games from a different industry… until I had my lucky break when a games studio in Frankfurt hired me as a Graphic Designer there – and I haven’t looked back since.

What does a day in your job look like?

It can be quite varied – it can be researching, prototyping, giving UX reviews. Sometimes it can be sketching and designing in-game icons. Most of what I do ultimately comes under the umbrella of iterating best UX practices.

How did you get into UX?

I come from a Graphic Design and Branding background, and in the recent years I’ve become increasingly interested in how we interact with objects, physically and digitally. The challenge of wanting to reduce unwanted frustration for users got me wondering how to merge UX practices with my other skills to provide the most relevant and seamless experiences.

What’s your favourite project you’ve worked on?

That’s a tough one! There’s been a lot of projects I’ve worked on which have separate elements that I really enjoyed and learned from. But I would have to say an *undisclosed project* that provided me an opportunity to work on both UI and UX – it was the first time where I singularly approached a project with a user’s interaction in mind.

What are you playing at the moment?

I’m currently playing DiRT Rally 2.0, Assassin’s Creed: Odyssey & Judge Eyes :)

What’s your favourite bit about your job?

The favourite bit about my job is being able to create a concept from a singular idea, and go through this design journey from start to finish. There’s always something new to discover.

What’s the biggest misconception you find people have about your field?

UX is not just about the aesthetics – it’s also about how something feels, and works.

It is something that crosses multiple disciplines: art, data science, psychology, to name a few. So different aspects come into play, and this practice includes user research, testing, visual design and so much more. The ultimate goal is to build something that both fits expectations for users, whilst also meeting our own intentions as well – to create great games!

View the full article