F1 2018 crashing to desktop? (Version 1.16) [PC] [Steam] [CTD]

Question

Hi, I've grabbed F1 2018 on Steam as I'm able to play it for free this weekend and get 75% off it until Monday 18th. So I can load into the menu just fine, but once I load to a track in any game mode it crashes to the desktop. I'm running the latest version on Steam (Version 1.16) and my specs are as follows;

Intel i5-2500k @ 3.3 GHz

Zotac GTX 970 

Windows 10 64-bit

This is also not my first Codies F1 game on this PC. I bought F1 2015 last year from the Humble Bundle offer and that game is running perfectly fine on my PC. So I'm not sure how 2015 works but 2018 does not?

11 answers to this question

Posted (edited)

Sorry, wrong section. :classic_rolleyes: I came in through Google not realizing there are multiple "Technical Assistance" topics for each series. My bad.

Edited by Crimson764

Hi @Crimson764, no worries about putting this in the wrong place, I've moved the thread to the right place for you.

I have a couple of things for you to try;

Try validating that F1 2018 downloaded correctly

1. Open Steam and go to the Library tab.
  2. Right click on F1 2018 and select Properties.
  3. Go to the Local Files tab and click verify integrity of game files.

Try limiting the FPS – Go to Settings – Graphics Options – Video Mode and then go down to Frame Rate Limit.

And finally, try running the game at a lower graphics setting.

Let me know if any of that helps!

Thanks for moving it to the right place. So I've put the frame limiter onto 120FPS. And verified the files through Steam, all good there. With the frame limiter in place, the game actually managed to load the track. And when I tried the benchmarks, I've found that the game works fine with no crashes on the 'Low' and 'Ultra Low' graphics presets. However, at 'Medium' it crashed at Turn 6 in Australia, even though the frame rate was staying relatively stable at over 100 FPS. So I think I'll run it in the 'Low' setting for now.

After playing the game a bit more, I've noticed there are still random crashes happening. For instance, I started a career mode with Sauber, loaded up FP1 at Australia and after checking the broadcast for about a couple of seconds which was showing AI cars on track, it just crashed back to desktop. No error warnings, it just went all by itself.

Posted (edited)

I too have the exact same problem... Game has been working fine for weeks / months and since yesterday..it crashes to desktop...no error messages just CTD. Have verified the files in Steam etc etc but still happens. Deleted the hardware config.xml..ran the game in benchmark mode and it worked fine... started a quickrace in Melbourne and on corner 2 the game froze for about 6 seconds then quit to desktop.

Edited by AnthonyLee59

Unfortunately, I can't play the game further because the trial period for it on Steam ran out yesterday, and even though it's 75% off atm, I'm not sure I want to buy it with the random CTDs that kept happening.

Hello Everyone!

I have the same problem unfortunately.

I've done the integrity of the game. new GPU drivers, low RES still happening.

Any REAL solution here?

Many thanks!

Hey all,

Can you all confirm you’ve tried the following list;

• Have you verified you game files?
  • Have you updated your graphics drivers?
  • Have you tried capping the frame rate?
  • Are you overclocking your system at all? If so, can you try running the game without overclocking?
  • Can you check if anything is running/updating in the background?

If you’re still getting random crashes, can you send us an email with the following info and things so we can take a further look?

• A copy of your DXDiag and Hardware settings
  • Any crash dumps
  • Where is the game crashing? For example, when loading onto a specific track or when the podium cut scene plays
  • How many times has the crash happened? Can you repeat it?
  • Does it crash in the same place each time?
  • Does the crash only happen in one mode?
  • Does the crash only happen on one track?

Thanks!

How to find a crash dump

1. Browse to the folder where you have Steam installed, usually this will be C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam
  2. Browse to the userdata folder and Search for *.zip or browse to through the numbered directories to the relevant remote directory.
  3. You should find a file named something like crash_dump#76561198061784954.zip
  4. Send that file to us at community(AT)codemasters.com (replacing the (AT) with an @ )

How to save a DXDiag

In Windows 7:

1. Click on the "Start" Button.
  2. In the Search Box type dxdiag and press <Enter>. The DirectX Diagnostic Tool pop-up window should appear.
  3. Click on “Save all Information.”
  4. Save the information to your Desktop, keep the file name as is.
  5. Send the file to us at community(AT)codemasters.com (replacing the (AT) with an @ )

In Windows 8, Windows 10:

1. Press the [Windows]+[R] keys on your keyboard to bring up the Run command.
  2. In the "Run" command box, type in dxdiag and press <Enter>. The DirectX Diagnostic Tool pop-up window should appear.
  3. Click on "Save all Information."
  4. Save the information to your Desktop, keep the file name as is.
  5. Send that file to us at community(AT)codemasters.com (replacing the (AT) with an @ )

How to send us your in-game hardware settings file

• Browse to your hard drive where windows in installed
  • Browse to "...\Documents\My Games\<game_folder>\hardwaresettings\"
  • Locate the file "hardware_settings_config.xml" and send this to us at community(AT)codemasters.com (replacing the (AT) with an @)

Why would capping the frame rate be one of the five first solutions to try?

Hi all!

Just wanted to add my name to the list. F1 2018 has been working perfectly to me up until the new patch where it now unfortunately crashes constantly. I have tried all above troubleshooting and I will send files through now.