Sign in to follow this  

Update 4 is LIVE!

Hey team - Update 4 for F1 Mobile Racing is now live across all supported devices! 🙂

Thank you for your patience, as well as all your feedback, which helps us shape each and every update for the game. The key new features are below - as always, if you want to post feedback about Update 4, tell us here, whilst the Technical Assistance thread is best for anything you might be having trouble with. Thank you! 

The brand new XP System gives every type of player the chance to progress and improve in the game. Complete tasks and challenges in different modes to win XP, level up, and increase the performance potential of your car
🏁 GP Events returns to F1® Mobile Racing, bigger and better than ever. During every race weekend of the 2019 FIA Formula One World Championship, take part in a GP Event at the same circuit. Celebrate the return of F1 this weekend by entering into the Australia GP Event, with big rewards and exclusive items to win! 🏁
📦 R&D Boxes increase the chances of players receiving R&D parts needed to take their car’s performance to the next level. Win, research and unlock Boxes through Duel mode, or purchased through the Shop, to grab those Epic parts and compete with the greatest 📦
1⃣ New customisation items are also available: five new R&D items can be found in Boxes, and two new number designs can now be added to your custom livery 1⃣
🔧 Technical and visual improvements across the board, including fixes for the lap and top speed records, improvements to the beginning of Sprint Race and Qualifying Duels, and efforts to make penalty system more consistent and less intrusive 🔧

Posted (edited)

Initial thoughts after ~30 mins gameplay with the new patch:

• The most important: insane engine penalties against AI drivers are fixed...
  • ... BUT still happens against the opponent driver. I got pushed out of the track from behind by the opponent driver and got an engine penalty, while he just went on. Another one tried to spin me right after a sprint race start and I was the one who got a penalty. WTH?
  • Matchmaking (at least in my case) now finds more real players. However significant performance differences are allowed. I think it's good, I rather play againt a real person (no matter how much his CP or PI is higher) instead of a bot.
  • Timing is still a mess. Sector times after races doesn't add up at all.
  • Personal records page got fixed.
  • Is 25 the max level in the new XP system? My XP circle is full and just counting aquired XP to the max. So higher level players gain nothing from the new system?
  • Sprint and qualifying starts are still not in sync.
  • Grid starts are better, but the AI in front of you still pulls away like crazy. Sometimes however they slow down in sector 3.
  • AI straight line speed is still too high. They pass you easily while you drive at 300+ kph.
  • Still can't make the corner without braking in curved straights with DRS. This is not how DRS should feel. In real life it reduces rear downforce. So when you turn the car with DRS flap open, it would simply spin. Quite the opposite what happens in game. But it shouldn't affect these kind of light corners like there are in Sochi, Singapore and Melbourne at all.
  • The new R&D box system is much better than the previous one with single parts.
  • There's no credit reward for the GP event. Previous events gave 165 credits in gold tier. Bummer.
  • Credits for watching ads got halved. You already decreased credits for watching ads in the previous patch, and now again. Not nice! I don't think it's worth it anymore, 1+1 credit every 3 hours is just too little.
  • Some challenges give only 30 RP. Is this a bug? Some challenges give way too few RP compared to another. Example: "Perform 3 perfect start(s) in a Grid Start Race" worth 30 RP while "Finish 1st in a 3 lap Single race on Hard difficulty" worth 150 RP? That can't be right, and there's a lot more like that.
  • There's something wrong with the racing line throttle / brake indicator. It shows red when you should go full gas, sometimes even in straights. Please give us an option to turn it off completely.

I'm not sure how I feel about this overall. There are some nice changes and we got rid of the most annoying bug, but issues known for weeks or months are still not fixed.

Edit after playing a little more:

• boxes that could be bought for RP are removed from the shop.
  • I don't like the boxes as much as I saw them for the first time. Epic part drop rate from boxes is only 1%, which means we need to open 100 boxes on average to get an epic part. Until now I managed to get an epic part almost every day. Now, if this drop rate is true, with opening 8 boxes a day, it'll take 12 days to get an epic part. That's awful.

It looks like a lot of changes were made for the sake of pushing the game towards pay to win players (worse epic part drop rate, less credits for ads, parts for RP removed from shop).
The most hyped part of the patch - the XP system - doesn't do anything for higher level players. It's just a number going up, nothing more.
Meanwhile only 1 crucial problem was fixed, a lot of well known bugs are still there (and new ones emerged aswell).
I will take a break from this game, it's not going into the right direction. I will check out the next patch and see what happens there.

I think outsourcing the development to a small company was a huge mistake by CodeMasters. You can do this with a noname game, but not with a brand like Formula 1. Millions of F1 fans expect a quality F1 game, it's very far from that at the moment.

Edited by Xoloth
  • Thanks 2

Agreed about the racing line. There was no need whatsoever to make changes to the existing racing line behavior, except to have an option to turn it off. Now, it's broken. How the hell does each release introduce another pile of bugs?

I also have 25 XP and don't really see the point of why it exists. I'm at 5000 cup points, so it's incredibly unlikely that I'd ever drop back down to League 2. I'd have to lose dozens of races in a row for that to happen. So once you're at this stage, does the XP just progressively keep growing? If that's the case then it's pointless. Little tiny things like that aren't going to make the stale duels more interesting. What's needed is a complete overhaul of the game modes. New ways to play the game should be the focus instead of adding tiny cosmetic details. Finding myself spending more time on these message boards and Reddit than I am actually playing the game at this point.

Posted (edited)

Hi,

Been playing F1 mobile on my phone for quite a while now. Managed to get 8700 points cup points, 1382 performance indicator ans 1592 duels raced!

I love F1, and the game has a great concept. But it is undermined by numerous problems, all that have been discussed on this forum. Wanted to give my feedback on this last update. Some serious issues have been adressed, and that's great:

- grid start duels seem no longer flawed (I used to instant quit because they were unwinable for me, no matter what I did)

- penalties seem to be better (getting a penalty for being bumped into by AI drivers was unacceptable)

- braking assist seems better in some corners

But, I experienced an unprecedented losing streak (2 wins in 20 duels...). Most of the time ending 2-4 seconds behind on the finish line and I don't quite understand why. Matchmaking was weird with opponents from 4500 to 9990 cup points. My lap times are significantly higher than before. So basically, it feels like my car has become garbage. Am I the only experiencing this? Is there some leveling down involved? Because it really doesn't make sense :classic_huh:

So basically, the game feels better, but I can't win races anymore, that's pretty annoying.

Waiting for the Australia event :classic_biggrin:

Edit: a few more races with sound enabled and it seems acceleration is flawed. It has hiccups in fast curves. I'm steering with my thumbs and using all driving assists. On those fast curves, it seems that pressing repeatedly with my thumb to stay on the racing line (as I've always done) prevent the car to accelerate continuously. It was pretty obvious on Paul Ricard track, when my opponent gain 1.5 sec over me in a single fast curve while he was trailing 0.4s behind from the beginning... It could explain why I keep losing races like this. Has something been changed with the update?

Edited by Norrin78
  • Agree 1

34 minutes ago, Norrin78 said:

I'm steering with my thumbs and using all driving assists.

This is your problem. See the posts above you. They messed up the acceleration / brake part of the racing line and auto throttle is probably following that flawed line, so it brakes too early and accelerates too late.

• Agree 1

Posted (edited)

Mt first impressions after loading up with the same parts and PI from pre-update is my car is slower. As a result, I can't win a race at the moment. Perhaps the addition of new never-before-seen parts has AI going faster, yet again. Another tactic to get highly ranked players to keep playing to get those new epic parts? XP System? I don't get it. I'm at maximum and what does it do for me? And as stated by Xoloth with impeccable precision..... the qualifying and sprint modes are still uneven. You can be a second behind your opponent by the end of the first straight because he's got a half second head start and he's doing 320kph.

Update: 30 minutes play and one win. Required a complete setup change. Power is out and aero is in. Track handling is all different. There goes my hours of Melbourne practice. I'm betting my 1:15 will be a distant memory.

Edited by slayton
  • Agree 1

Can you elaborate on the new XP system that "increases performance potential of your car"...because we don't get it and it is not apparent what or how this is happening. If at all..

1 hour ago, Masterfool said:

Can you elaborate on the new XP system that "increases performance potential of your car"...because we don't get it and it is not apparent what or how this is happening. If at all..

12 hours ago, ChrisGrovesMCM said:

Hey team - Update 4 for F1 Mobile Racing is now live across all supported devices! 🙂

Thank you for your patience, as well as all your feedback, which helps us shape each and every update for the game. The key new features are below - as always, if you want to post feedback about Update 4, tell us here, whilst the Technical Assistance thread is best for anything you might be having trouble with. Thank you! 

The brand new XP System gives every type of player the chance to progress and improve in the game. Complete tasks and challenges in different modes to win XP, level up, and increase the performance potential of your car
🏁 GP Events returns to F1® Mobile Racing, bigger and better than ever. During every race weekend of the 2019 FIA Formula One World Championship, take part in a GP Event at the same circuit. Celebrate the return of F1 this weekend by entering into the Australia GP Event, with big rewards and exclusive items to win! 🏁
📦 R&D Boxes increase the chances of players receiving R&D parts needed to take their car’s performance to the next level. Win, research and unlock Boxes through Duel mode, or purchased through the Shop, to grab those Epic parts and compete with the greatest 📦
1⃣ New customisation items are also available: five new R&D items can be found in Boxes, and two new number designs can now be added to your custom livery 1⃣
🔧 Technical and visual improvements across the board, including fixes for the lap and top speed records, improvements to the beginning of Sprint Race and Qualifying Duels, and efforts to make penalty system more consistent and less intrusive 🔧

The penalties for getting off the track are way too severe! I understand corner cutting, but getting off track to miss a car and horrible loss!  Duels and grids started out ok competition was good but now it seems back to driving aggressive because you get run into if you dont. Penalty for being run into still. All these un neccessary penalties cost alot of races. If you want it to be a “RACE” then call it that and give points accordingly. That will at least explain all the wrecking 😂 if it is going to be a “DUEL” then let them race. Starting us mid pack and then letting the A1 cars help decide who wins and who loses is BS. I dont understand why you want the A1 cars racing the way they do! Can you explain this so at least I will understand? 

Cao 

• Agree 1

AI cars are more stealthy in their endeavours to destroy you. Behaviour is aimed at taking you out from behind spinning you around so you are facing backwards. There is no recovery from this. A quit is the only option. A days play has seen me gain not one single trophy. It seems the days of me climbing back towards my former highest score of 9,999 are gone. I am stuck at 8,500 and seem destined to remain there. In short, update 4 is rated a two out of ten. Such a let down for racers. A triumph for card collectors. 

This is the official F1 game. Why isn't the focus on racing?

The worst update! 

I noticed the circuits are diffrent than before but the change ruin the fun & excitement of playing this game. 

Braking system, driving line, losing throttle & accelaration speed. Personal best time is not recorded instead the Last time is recorded. What are all these about? 

AI is even stealthier than before. Update 3.5 saw AI was faster, in latest update AI is even worse. I lost 1500 throphies in since last night, won 5 times (3 from AI stuck at far behimd) 

What I can not think of is... There was fix to fixed AI behaviour & its ridiculous speed at corner & (even more) at straight line but now you @ChrisGrovesMCM put it back in this Update 4.

If you planned to put it back why did you fix it? It was a waste, wasn't it? 

I believe you rush this update without testing before. Where are your Beta tester? 

15 hours ago, Masterfool said:

I don't know what it does either. I'm like a lot of people on here and am at level 25. That seems like the maximum you can get. So if a new feature is rolled out and I already beat it then it's not a new feature is it?

update 4 changes for me

1.mercedece car is less likely to spin.

2.breaking points increase.

3.AI cars don’t give way to player’s car when two cars are side by side.

4.AI cars attacks from behind become  more agressively.

...etc.

I hope...

to play natural race. If “natural high-performance car” is faster than mine, I want(?) to give way to faster car.

to know the best time of each session. “duel qualify’s best time” “duel sprint’s best time” ...etc.

( if incorrect time is solved.)

to understand the criteria for safety point.

Ok here is a wild one! 😂 getting near the end of the first lap of the race and leading and i come around the corner in 6th gear only to find a car stopped in the middle of the track. Happened on 2 seperate occasions so far 😡   Has this happened to anyone else? 

Yes, used to happen much more often.

My last was at Monaco in the kink after exiting the tunnel, I took the corner cut penalty. 

On ‎3‎/‎15‎/‎2019 at 12:26 AM, Masterfool said:

Sure! As mentioned, your car's maximum performance potential is now linked to XP. Whilst before your maximum PI level would increase when reaching a new League, it now increases as you level up in XP. 

On ‎3‎/‎15‎/‎2019 at 3:45 PM, xdakota80x said:

I don't know what it does either. I'm like a lot of people on here and am at level 25. That seems like the maximum you can get. So if a new feature is rolled out and I already beat it then it's not a new feature is it?

As announced when we revealed the XP system, it's in its first iteration and will evolve over time. In Update 4, it's given newer and less experienced players the opportunity to level up and be rewarded for multiple actions in the game. As the system evolves over team, it'll include more ways for more experienced players to be rewarded from it 🙂

3 hours ago, ChrisGrovesMCM said:

Sure! As mentioned, your car's maximum performance potential is now linked to XP. Whilst before your maximum PI level would increase when reaching a new League, it now increases as you level up in XP. 

As announced when we revealed the XP system, it's in its first iteration and will evolve over time. In Update 4, it's given newer and less experienced players the opportunity to level up and be rewarded for multiple actions in the game. As the system evolves over team, it'll include more ways for more experienced players to be rewarded from it 🙂

I guess what we're trying to get at is how is it any different from the existing cup point system? It seems redundant to me. Why not just add the additional rewards to the existing leveling system? I don't think the team really thought this through, especially since they didn't know what to do with the large group of advanced players that already topped out the XP system. It's a half baked idea. They really shouldn't be working on adding any additional features at this point and, instead, focus on fixing the giant pile of bugs that already exist. There's a shocking trend with this game that each new update exists solely to introduce new bugs rather than features that players actually want (IE full season mode).

• Agree 1

On 3/16/2019 at 8:30 PM, StKnowhere said:

Yes, used to happen much more often.

My last was at Monaco in the kink after exiting the tunnel, I took the corner cut penalty. 

I agree. I came here looking for a racing game. Very tough game to lay down. Was toatally addictive but with nothing more than collecting cards. I dont see it. We are already exceeding the speeds they are running. Playing duels is a complete waste. I guess practice time in between events is where im at with this. 😔

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, OUTLAWCHAMP said:

I agree. I came here looking for a racing game. Very tough game to lay down. Was toatally addictive but with nothing more than collecting cards. I dont see it. We are already exceeding the speeds they are running. Playing duels is a complete waste. I guess practice time in between events is where im at with this. 😔

I still don't get it.

That card collecting model may work for other games, but doubt it will for long here.

Agree. Based on past experience, even when I score a series of epic parts, I'm still no faster than the opposition. So as a seasoned player as opposed to a newcomer, why would I spend money for credits or resource points? A newbie would because like me they think they'll win more races, but for those of us who have hit the 9,999 trophy ceiling we know that laying out cash is a waste of money and that's where Codemasters are showing no long term vision. And in a short space of time newbies will join us as they leave the game when they too realise they have engaged not with a racing game but a card collecting game with a focus on collecting fast cash from people who don't know what they're doing.

• Like 2

Feel your pain, it has been worse...

Are you passing the bots when in the lead?

I've been in the lead against my opponent in the last 3 grid starts and each time was pushed off track from behind. Lost so much time I DNF'd. These shunts are so forceful you're spun around so you can't often find your way back to the track.

On a side note, I worked up to 300 credits and couldn't resist the temptation of 90 parts!! After all that, not even one part I could upgrade. 

16 hours ago, slayton said:

I've been in the lead against my opponent in the last 3 grid starts and each time was pushed off track from behind. Lost so much time I DNF'd. These shunts are so forceful you're spun around so you can't often find your way back to the track.

On a side note, I worked up to 300 credits and couldn't resist the temptation of 90 parts!! After all that, not even one part I could upgrade. 

I haven't been able to upgrade a part in weeks now. I honestly stopped trying. There are so many different parts and the ridiculous amount you need to get to upgrade makes for a slog. It's not very fun anymore when the whole point of this game is centered around the cards and not the actual racing. The upgraded parts don't really work for the duels anyway as you have no idea what track you'll be racing on so there's no "setups" that you can use. I think this game has reached its shelf life.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

@OUTLAWCHAMP 

It looks like Codemasters outsoursed/acquired development with Eden Games. It's not clear to me what role Codemasters have outside Marketing and supporting the product.

The developers appear to be Eden Games in Lyon, France  http://www.edengames.com/#team

Eden's other mobile platform game, Gear Club, is essentially the same game but with street cars, even has the "XP" system.   If you check the reviews for Gear Club, comments look very similar.

Edited by StKnowhere

Posted (edited)
42 minutes ago, StKnowhere said:

@OUTLAWCHAMP 

It looks like Codemasters outsoursed/acquired development with Eden Games. It's not clear to me what role Codemasters have outside Marketing and supporting the product.

The developers appear to be Eden Games in Lyon, France  http://www.edengames.com/#team

Eden's other mobile platform game, Gear Club, is essentially the same game but with street cars, even has the "XP" system.   If you check the reviews for Gear Club, comments look very similar.

Eden Games has always been the developer of the game I believe. Codies are also working with Feral Interactive for the ports of GRID: Autosport (for iOS, Android, Linux(old), Mac(old) and Switch). Codies also announced on 8th of January that a new mobile game is developed in partnership with chinese NetEase.

On 7th of November, NetEase was also announced to be the exclusive publisher of Codemasters' 3 upcoming games in China starting with DiRT Rally 2.0.

Haven't been on these forums for that much these few weeks, so wanted to do a package of at least partly facts. For the NetEase stuff you can check statements by Codemasters from some stock market site probably 🙂

NOTE: StKnowhere used the 'agree' reaction before this following statement: Also I have just gotten my hands to the game. I like it for being a mobile game, it's easier to control the car even without assists and it's just fun for most of the time.

Edited by UP100
  • Agree 1