Sign in to follow this  

F1 2014 - A few questions for you here

Hi Guys,

First post here.
Have played every F1 codemasters game, generally enjoy them especially online. 2014 is decent really like the engine sounds and there is a distinct difference in feel from 2013 to 2014 which is good.

However I have a small issue, wanted to ask if this is normal. I am using Williams in career mode and when using view 'TV Pod' I actually cannot see my helmet? The camera is so far forward that I can only see the driver gloves onwards. All previous versions you could see the top of the helmet? However when using some other cars in non-career mode I can slightly see the helmet from this view. Why would this be changed? You can see helmets on all car onboards in real life? Steering wheel is wrong too. 

Also in career mode I have now noticed that instead of giving you a 'dummy' driver when you take over a seat which used to happen in every game previous, you now actually become the driver that you replace. Before only the name of the previous driver would appear on the car and overalls, but now I am actually Bottas with a different helmet. When I finished on the podium I could clearly see that I was Bottas! 

I know these are small things, but this will stop me from playing career mode. It does not feel real at all.

Some basic suggestions for 2015 Career mode:

- Allow the user to choose the teammate that they will replace
- Give the user an option of driver faces. I would like to use a black face. Why would I want Bottas' face if I am replacing him? 
- Give the user options for parc ferme celebrations, and over the line celebrations when finishing on the podium.
- Add a podium
- Add some sort of helmet customization

The career driver model is the same whichever team you drive for. It just so happens to have a similarity to Bottas and you happen to be driving his car. Just an unfortunate coincidence!
With TV pod, in real life you can't always see as much as the driver helmet. It depends on the car. Lotus for example, you can see it quite clearly. With steering wheels, the same model has been used for many cars; Ferrari, Mclaren, Toro Rosso etc. all have the same one whereas a couple have unique wheels (Force India, Red Bull). It's unknown why the Williams car has it's 2011 wheel, all I know is there was limited space so they couldn't have the correct wheels on all cars. It's been something of a topic of controversy ever since they released the first gameplay videos and screenshots.

The suggestions are nice Selecting your team mate is 50/50 though. On one hand, the option is nice, but on the other hand (using pre-2014 results as an example) would a team boss hire a rookie to replace four time champion Vettel instead of an unproven Ricciardo? It could kill the immersion somewhat.
The option to choose any team was a good addition I thought at first, but I feel it would only have been good if the car tiers changed season to season (and not so obvious like it was before- highest rank tier 2 team automatically getting tier 1 for example). It would be nice if dependent on each teams R&D, that some could rise several tiers, or drop a couple. Even better- race to race tier changes would be nice. It would make the career much more interesting if you don't know where your car will be from one race to the next.
The bottom four suggestions you've put... They would be nice. I personally feel they should concentrate on other aspects of career mode such as team tiers, R&D and live the life first but any improvement is an improvement so wouldn't disapprove if they made it into the game.

1. The career driver model is the same whichever team you drive for. It just so happens to have a similarity to Bottas and you happen to be driving his car. Just an unfortunate coincidence!
2. With TV pod, in real life you can't always see as much as the driver helmet. It depends on the car. Lotus for example, you can see it quite clearly. With steering wheels, the same model has been used for many cars; Ferrari, Mclaren, Toro Rosso etc. all have the same one whereas a couple have unique wheels (Force India, Red Bull). It's unknown why the Williams car has it's 2011 wheel, all I know is there was limited space so they couldn't have the correct wheels on all cars. It's been something of a topic of controversy ever since they released the first gameplay videos and screenshots.

The suggestions are nice Selecting your team mate is 50/50 though. On one hand, the option is nice, but on the other hand (using pre-2014 results as an example) would a team boss hire a rookie to replace four time champion Vettel instead of an unproven Ricciardo? It could kill the immersion somewhat.
The option to choose any team was a good addition I thought at first, but I feel it would only have been good if the car tiers changed season to season (and not so obvious like it was before- highest rank tier 2 team automatically getting tier 1 for example). It would be nice if dependent on each teams R&D, that some could rise several tiers, or drop a couple. Even better- race to race tier changes would be nice. It would make the career much more interesting if you don't know where your car will be from one race to the next.
The bottom four suggestions you've put... They would be nice. I personally feel they should concentrate on other aspects of career mode such as team tiers, R&D and live the life first but any improvement is an improvement so wouldn't disapprove if they made it into the game.
1. Oh really?? Thanks for pointing that out, so if I was to drive a Lotus the model would not be the driver I replace? It is still the same as previous years?

2. I understand but during the f1 season (real season) and all previous games you could see the helmet on all car onboards. There is no reason why the cars should differ on this aspect, especially when this not a feature that represents reality. 

3. Thanks for explaining the steering wheel stuff. The lack of consistency is bad, they should briefly explain why this is the case. I know its small but the fine details do eventually add up.

4. I understand what you mean about the driver selection. But Codemasters problem is that they release the game pretty much after the season is done. So you will get a load of people who would rather have Riccardo or Bottas as a teammate. Right now in career my teammate is Massa, but I would rather Bottas based on the 2014 season. 

5. Tiers is a great idea, I like it. Race - race tiers would be too extreme. But season tiers based on R&D would make career worth carrying on from after one season. 

1. Yes, it'll be the same guy. CM seem to like the Scandinavian look for the career driver. Same model used in 2011,12 and 13 I think.
2. It's the same on this years Williams in real life though so it's not far off in accuracy.
3. Yes it was a bit disappointing. It should be fixed on the new gen version when it's released though. Fingers crossed anyway!
4.  That is true. The option would definitely be nice, but there really needs to be a sense of achievement in career and if you can instantly choose to be number one at Mercedes it takes the edge off somewhat. With tiers at least, that might mean there's no guarantee of being in the best car all the time.