Sign in to follow this  

F1 2015 car thread

fIsince08 said:
VetteIfan said:
The FIA has admitted to a loophole in the engine homologation rules, and so has accepted the "most logical and robust" way forward is to accept there is no homologation date for 2015.  

http://autosport.com/news/report.php/id/117259

There is very bad news if you're a Mclaren fan, however. Charlie Whiting has stated the 28th February homologation date still stands for Honda, as they are a new manufacturer in the sport and must face the same deadline that faced the manufacturers from last year. Which means they'll almost certainly end the year with the worse power unit. How much worse depends how on good the engine is that they start the season with. 
It depends. If they can create a really powerful engine to start with, they can still improve reliability throughout the season.

This does have me confused though. If Honda are one year behind in terms of homologation date, does that mean they are in the engine freeze as well?
Even if they start the season with a 50hp advantage on the likes of Renault and Ferrari (which is a very optimistic figure) that kind of advantage will be eroded with half a season of constant development. Especially, for example, the Red Bull/Renault combo, who know their deficit to Mercedes is probably about 80% power unit related. So that will be the full focus of their upgrades.

That's a really good point you make though about the engine freeze though. If the FIA comes up with amended rules next year to close the loophole to every manufacturer and have their homologation set by February again, does that mean Honda don't apply to that and have no homologation next year :L? It's a fair argument. 

Jiggy said:
Even more odd, Lotus seemed like the team who could make a push. It went completely 180 in the last 12 months. Williams taking sponsors from Lotus now to rub some more salt into the wounds. Hopefully they're both competitive next year, mostly for Bottas and Grosjean's sake.

But that would mean Maldonado would be closer to the front and I'm not so comfortable with that.
That is a very good point. But I believe Venezuela and its government are in some financial troubles, so Maldonado might not have the sufficient funding for much longer to keep his seat. Good news if Lotus weren't in such deep *censored* themselves.

There are rumors Mercedes will have a chrome livery and McLaren an orange one 
http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/mercedes-mclaren-to-change-colours-in-2015-report

A Mercedes in chrome would be nice imo

mike96 said:
http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/mercedes-mclaren-to-change-colours-in-2015-report

no no no can't stand chrome!
I hope we see more of the turquoise colour thingy that has increasingly been put on the car in recent years. 

Here's another concept from the same artist, Bruce Thomson. I actually wrote to this guy last year asking him more about his work and any tips he had, he was very helpful in his reply!

I love this though, the black on the sides gives it that edgy feel. I can't help but think that Honda and Movistar wouldn't want orange though. Movistar and Telefonica would probably want some blue on the car to match their branding.

Lukedfrt said:
Fernando is bringing the sponsers in! 

mike96 said:
Lukedfrt said:
Fernando is bringing the sponsers in! 

Classic pay driver :p 
So Santander is staying with Ferrari then? Isn't that one of Alonso's major backing?

mike96 said:
I believe Santander is sponsoring McLaren as well.
Yeah Santander has a historical connection with McLaren, also Telefonica may appear on Alonso's car think he had the sponsor when he drove for Renault?

Plus Santander still has a contract with Ferrari.

It's funny the different reactions you get to these concepts depending on where you go. On the idea of an 'orange' McLaren, Reddit seems to love it, Facebook seems to hate it!

Personally, I'd rather orange on the McLaren than chrome again. Actually, I've had enough silvery-grey McLarens to last a lifetime, so anything with colour on it will do just nicely. Even if they paint it pink and purple like the BT60 from '92.

fIsince08 said:
Is next year Marlboro's last with Ferrari?
I'm pretty sure Marlboro aren't with Ferrari anymore. I haven't seen any branding on their car since early 2010.

fIsince08 said:
I'm pretty sure Marlboro aren't with Ferrari anymore. I haven't seen any branding on their car since early 2010.
They are bud :p But they go by Philip Morris now. The cars, which are red and white similar to a pack of Marlboro, aren't allowed to have the cigarette advertising. But Marlboro are free to use the cars as part of their own advertising ;)

fIsince08 said:
They are bud :p But they go by Philip Morris now. The cars, which are red and white similar to a pack of Marlboro, aren't allowed to have the cigarette advertising. But Marlboro are free to use the cars as part of their own advertising ;)
Oh really? Well I had absolutely no idea! So basically the only branding and advertising they get is through red and white?! They don't even have the red hat/arrow anywhere on the car.

mike96 said:

"There are rumours the (2015) car could be orange, McLaren's traditional colour, for testing."
Yay!
"But it could also be white"
BOO!

Seriously, like we haven't seen enough predominantely white cars in F1 lately.

The white Sauber and HRT were both utterly beautiful cars.

And you had plenty of time to admire them as well.