Sign in to follow this  

F1 2015 car thread

Blue and yellow are usually a great combination (Subaru's 555-livery is still my top-3 all-time favorite in all of motorsport), but it looks so basic on the Sauber. Like they used the cheapest paint they could find and just put a yellow square on the side. Use some highlights or something, use a different shade of blue, maybe metallic blue.. This gives me a 2001 Prost vibe and they died that year. Oh well, maybe it's just me and it'll be upgraded after more sponsors, in the same way Caterham got downgraded when they lost sponsors.

The Sauber does look very bare. Also, the Ferrari seems very tight at the back, yet the side pods aren't much bigger. Maybe cooling was what they focussed engine development on?

fIsince08 said:
The Sauber does look very bare. Also, the Ferrari seems very tight at the back, yet the side pods aren't much bigger. Maybe cooling was what they focussed engine development on?
Allison said they have made significant gains in radiator design. Much more efficient. The main engine focus has been around energy recovery during races. 

The Ferrari looks like a tidy car actually. Peak aero performance was one of the F14T's strengths, it's just that peak was rarely reached because it's performance was very sensitive to conditions and setup. Hopefully they've made a car which will be the same one weekend to the next. 

Other than the droopy nose, the Ferrari is pretty nice looking. As for Sauber, it doesn't look the greatest, but I am happy to see a team using colours that aren't black or grey!

It's almost as if each team takes it as a challenge to try and make the most boring liveries possible. They look like those custom five minute paintjobs on Forza.

The Sauber livery is already growing on me I think, stick a few more sponsors on there and it'd be alright. I'm glad they haven't just done the same boring thing as most of the other teams so far.

http://wtf1.co.uk/heres-the-mp4-30-in-a-retro-mclaren-honda-livery/

So many good McLaren liveries but no, they had to screw it :p

@Tommig1995 Personally I'd have had the yellow over the engine cover too, had the white bit along the rim of the engine cover and up to the carbon fibre at the rear, no blue behind the yellow. I'll do a very crude version of what I mean using paint later :p 

@RevolvingPrawn 
I see your Sauber and raise you, a sauber!

Edit: I made a couple more subtle changes, don't know it it's better...

fIsince08 said:

Dang, that looks tighter than a Red Bull!
Slightly concerned by that snowboard diffuser. That will help rate of flow under the rear, but it wont add much downforce... Also, how clean will the flow be through there?

The classic Red Bull diffusers were angled to fan the air outwards, reducing the pressure of the air and increasing down 

fIsince08 said:

Dang, that looks tighter than a Red Bull!
Slightly concerned by that snowboard diffuser. That will help rate of flow under the rear, but it wont add much downforce... Also, how clean will the flow be through there?

The classic Red Bull diffusers were angled to fan the air outwards, reducing the pressure of the air and increasing down 
I doubt that'll be the real diffuser, they just won't want to give the real one away on photos like this from the launch.

mike96 said:
http://wtf1.co.uk/heres-the-mp4-30-in-a-retro-mclaren-honda-livery/

So many good McLaren liveries but no, they had to screw it :p
IMO those are worse than what they did. With maybe the exception of the Marlboro one, which was NEVER gonna happen. The second one just looks like a slightly altered version of what they have and almost exactly like the Verizon, so no. And the orange one is just yucky, I like the idea and the colors but just not that version of it.

Nice to see a completely new livery on the Sauber, and have you seen Nasr's helmet?! It's awesome, like it could be a classic, just two colours, no sponsors (bar one), very neat.

The Ferrari looks good, cool slide at the front as Tom said, but yeah, decent!

Sauber should have had something closer to this in my opinion:

The extra stripes and the sidepod colour is longer and it makes it look a whole lot better 

Anything that increases the flow rate under the car will aid downforce. Fast air = low pressure air. 

The new Toro Rosso, even tighter than the Ferrari at the rear!

Quite good looking too, but apparently it's just an interim model for now.

Wow the Toro Rosso looks good! The nose looks very rounded which is cool.
I love the giant intakes/roll hoops seen on a lot of the cars so far... makes it look mean

The new Toro Rosso is easily the most interesting car so far. The ultra big air box and the ultra small sidepods go hand in hand - as a result of the engine oil coolers being placed near the car centreline instead of the sidepod. Got some quite chunky air exits either side of the gearbox, although apparently they should have shrunk quite a bit by Barcelona testing. Other than that the car is beautifully shrink wrapped. Got a pretty snazzy monkey seat as well, attached to the rear wing centre mount.

If the majority of components have been placed along the car centreline as it seems they have, Toro Rosso will have to make good use of ballast to minimise the effect on the car CoG. If they can do that though, the 2015 season has already found its dark horse.