Sign in to follow this  

Handbrake , shifter, or button boxes not working after update {FIX}

Posted (edited)

If your handbrake, shifter or button boxes don't work after the update, here is the fix. You have to create a new device. This only works for PC.

Go to Steam/steamapps/common/dirt rally 2.0/input/devices/   Open device defines with notepad.

Example: <device id="{00000000-0000-0000-0000-504944564944}" name="he_handbrake" priority="100" type="handbrake" />

The first 8 numbers need to be changed to your device PID and VID numbers. To look them up go to printers and devices and find the device you want to add like your handbrake or shifter. Double click it, go to hardware, then click USB input device, then click properties, then click events. You'll see VID and PID followed by the numbers. Just use the first 4 after each one. And put the PID numbers first.

The example line can be used to copy and paste. Just change the first 8 numbers as I described and change the name and type to whatever you're using.

Edited by Rigle
  • Agree 3

I have the same issue, but just with my handbrake (HE).  It works if i unplug and replug in at the start line.  I have given up now until the next patch.... so frustrating!

The game is showing me everything is connected it just doesn't let me assign the inputs. 

I'm attempting to create new devices in the xml document now to see if that works.

Posted (edited)
40 minutes ago, ndrover said:

I have the same issue, but just with my handbrake (HE).  It works if i unplug and replug in at the start line.  I have given up now until the next patch.... so frustrating!

<device id="{8B8210C4-0000-0000-0000-504944564944}" name="he_handbrake" priority="100" type="handbrake" />

Copy and past that into Steam/steamapps/common/dirt rally 2.0/input/devices/   Open device defines with notepad.

The first 8 numbers there should be the same for you as I am also using a HE handbrake. If it doesn't work you'll have to look up your PID and VID numbers. For that you have to go to printers and devices and find the handbrake. Double click it, go to hardware, then click USB input device, then click properties, then click events. You'll see VID and PID followed by the numbers. Just use the first 4 after each one. And put the PID numbers first.

Edited by Rigle

Posted (edited)

Urgh, what a mess.  One of the things I gave codies a huge amount of credit for at the launch of DR2.0 (I even mentioned it my steam review!) was the openness of its input mapping system compared to previous titles - all of the assorted gaming devices (wheel + shifter + button box + handbrake) I have on my sim rig were plug and play and could be mapped out of the box.  It now appears we have reverted to DR1 where we had to dig up PID/VID values and hack them into the xml if we wanted to use input configurations outside of the narrow set of defaults baked into the game.

What's bizarre is that I backed up my device defines xml before downloading the update and compared it with the new file which was created post-patch.  There's no discernible difference between the two, so something has changed under the hood with the way that the game is dealing with undefined devices.

Edited by mshagg
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, mshagg said:

Urgh, what a mess.  One of the things I gave codies a huge amount of credit for at the launch of DR2.0 (I even mentioned it my steam review!) was the openness of its input mapping system compared to previous titles - all of the assorted gaming devices (wheel + shifter + button box + handbrake) I have on my sim rig were plug and play and could be mapped out of the box.  It now appears we have reverted to DR1 where we had to dig up PID/VID values and hack them into the xml if we wanted to use input configurations outside of the narrow set of defaults baked into the game.

What's bizarre is that I backed up my device defines xml before downloading the update and compared it with the new file which was created post-patch.  There's no discernible difference between the two, so something has changed under the hood with the way that the game is dealing with undefined devices.

I agree. Its a mess. Glad I figured it out because I'm sure they won't patch this issue.

• Agree 1

Posted (edited)

how about on other devices 

i got a custom habdbrake and on my event it says this 

DeviceInstanceId USB\VID_4444&PID_4444\20141028
    DriverName input.inf
    ClassGuid {745a17a0-74d3-11d0-b6fe-00a0c90f57da}
    ServiceName HidUsb

edit:nevermind,find out my self ,

Edited by nasoduko
update
  • Like 1