Night driving in heavy rain

Posted (edited)

Just finished a night stage in Poland, at night, in heavy rain. I was 30 seconds off the lead. Sorry to say but this is downright RIDICULOUS. I know this has been mentioned at length in other threads, but really - ***. You can’t see but 10-15 feet in front of you. Pace notes or not, it is all but impossible to see. I may as well be Luke Skywalker and use the ‘Force’ to navigate my way through. I know 100% this not accurate, I’ve watched enough Rally and the visibility is FAR better. 

Using XB1X, dash cam. Just baffling, I truly don’t understand it. Why did DR1 get things like this SO RIGHT and yet we are SO OFF the mark in DR 2.0??How does this go unnoticed through development?

Dammit I want to enjoy this game but it so difficult to do so with the issues at present. Hope they rectify with another update. As others have noted, this game has the bones to be stunning by all accounts, but we need these kinds of issues remedied!! 😕

Edited by Buckwilder
  • Like 1
  • Agree 6

Posted (edited)

Buck: On top of headlight throw, ask them for a FOV adjustment slider for the Xbox. Reducing the FOV makes the road bigger and more easily seen, across the board. This is why FOV is vital - at the moment it's pulled back (ie wide) so the road is small and you can't see properly what's coming up, until it's right in front of you.

Edited by Jake Cushing
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, Jake Cushing said:

Buck: On top of headlight throw, ask them for a FOV adjustment slider for the Xbox. Reducing (narrowing) the FOV makes the road bigger and more easily seen, across the board. This is why FOV is vital - at the moment it's pulled back (ie wide) so the road is small and you can't see properly what's coming up, until it's right in front of you.

Amen to that. I feel at times the road is barely wide enough to accommodate the vehicle width. Perception not reality I understand, and this is not an always-present phenomenon, but to your point a FOV slider would be nice. In retrospect - I played DR1 with the dash cam which brought you up close and changed the FOV. That cam is absent in this incarnation (for now), but would be greatly appreciated if they brought it back as I noted in another thread. 

As for the headlights - the throw as you correctly noted, needs to be tweaked, or the illumination from the existing throw - ramped up. It’s bonkers how hard it is to see in some night stages, and rain only serves to exacerbate the issue which I understand is inherent to the situation, but should not to this degree.

Edited by Buckwilder
  • Agree 2

In DR1, the FOV was lower across the board. So even in cockpit view, the road was bigger, and what was ahead was more easily seen. Dirt 4 saw them widen the FOV, presumably to increase the 'sense of speed'.

Problem is, beyond a certain point, widening the FOV will make a game look artificial and 'gamey'. This is the point at whch there is noticeable distortion ahead. This is where DR2.0 is set. And the consoles have no option to reduce - all that was needed was making the default value the 'top' of the slider.

Unless enough people ask for this, I have no reason to believe we will ever get it. Yet it makes such a huge difference to how the game looks. As you say, right now on Xbox, the road ahead looks as narrow as the car itself. Thanks to the FOV.

• Agree 2

True indeed. To be fair, I’m not certain enough console players are even aware that the FOV issue is present and causing these undesirable effects. Dunno man, I truly feel at a loss with DR 2.0. The pedigree was there, as I’m sure was the intent to further enhance the DR1 formula - but this is a classic case of ‘what looks good on paper...’

I truly hoped the latest update would address more issues, and as we have it - not the case. The Camera Shake slider is still non-functional, there is no dash cam, no FOV adjustment, and don’t even get me started on the FFB. How Christina makes a comment stating that a large portion of players like the current FFB, is truly and utterly shocking. DR 2.0 has been LAMBASTED for its poor FFB across multiple social media platforms, it is clearly and issue. CLEARLY. The ‘happy-press’ feedback is disheartening, and makes me believe if an issue as glaring as that is being glazed, than other real-time issues like this are simply not even seeing the light of day amidst the programming staff at CM.

Time will tell of course, but I’m not feeling very patient, and things I may otherwise overlook or have patience on - are grinding me...hard.

• Agree 2

There is hope - this is a multi-stage release. So this hopefully means more fixes and features as the new content becomes available. For now I am waiting for the next patch and a FOV slider, before playing, and before buying any more content.

I do agree the glowing reviews from the mainstream media overlooked the preponderance of night-time and rainy stages, the awful rain, the over-done bloom effects making everything look too hazy. And the FFB of course.

Part of the problem is that PC players have sharper graphics, have a bloom slider, and have a FOV slider. The problems are concentrated in the console versions.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, Jake Cushing said:

There is hope - this is a multi-stage release. So this hopefully means more fixes and features as the new content becomes available. For now I am waiting for the next patch and a FOV slider, before playing, and before buying any more content.

I do agree the glowing reviews from the mainstream media overlooked the preponderance of night-time and rainy stages, the awful rain, the over-done bloom effects making everything look too hazy. And the FFB of course.

Part of the problem is that PC players have sharper graphics, have a bloom slider, and have a FOV slider. The problems are concentrated in the console versions.

Believe me the six inch nails falling from the sky during heavy rain at night is just as ridiculous on my i7, 2080Ti Uber PC running max settings. So it’s a system wide issue. Strangely it’s slightly improved by turning weather effects down to low. So make the rain look worse and it looks better! I agree we do have the benefit of the other sliders however.

• Agree 3

Posted (edited)

Can anyone confirm the frequency now of darkness and rain? I just started playing again to see what it's like post-patch (despite feeling pain from the wide FOV) and I'm seeing more dark+rainy stages than clear/day ones. Out of four stages just played, 3 were dark and wet.

Edit: HOLY GODS I just played the same type of stage as Buckwilder - night time in Poland, heavy rain. This is the worst thing I have ever seen from a Codemasters racing title. The rain looks preposterous!!! You can't see a thing because of the PS1-era sheet of giant nails in a cloud in front of you all the way! How did they go so far backwards in rain since Dirt Rally 1??!?!

This has got to be place-holder.

Edited by Jake Cushing
  • Agree 1

19 minutes ago, Jake Cushing said:

Can anyone confirm the frequency now of darkness and rain? I just started playing again to see what it's like post-patch (despite feeling pain from the wide FOV) and I'm seeing more dark+rainy stages than clear/day ones. Out of four stages just played, 3 were dark and wet.

Edit: HOLY GODS I just played the same type of stage as Buckwilder - night time in Poland, heavy rain. This is the worst thing I have ever seen from a Codemasters racing title. The rain looks preposterous!!! You can't see a thing because of the PS1-era sheet of giant nails in a cloud in front of you all the way! How did they go so far backwards in rain since Dirt Rally 1??!?!

This has got to be place-holder.

Told ya! It’s downright silly...

Posted (edited)

I’m serious enough about proper FOV settings to go PC soon.  Tired of console ports and their myriad limitations.

In the end I blame the platform, not the developer.  Though SMS has FOV adjustment..

Edited by cjr3559
  • Agree 3

@cjr3559 Let Codies Know. E-mail them, and request FOV settings for consoles. It can be done - Project Cars 2 does it on the consoles. As long as Codies make the FOV slider have the current default as 'maximum', there shouldn't be any frame-rate cost, as less stuff gets rendered on-screen. FOV is a huge thing. Seeing the road properly is vital, as is the immersion of a realistic view from the windscreen.

• Agree 2

13 minutes ago, cjr3559 said:

I’m serious enough about proper FOV settings to go PC soon.  Tired of console ports and their myriad limitations.

In the end I blame the platform, not the developer.  Though SMS has FOV adjustment..

No, the problem is the developers who think we're all simplistic 'kiddie' gamers who just want to press 'A' to start. Borderlands 2 also had an FOV slider.

• Agree 1

The other problem is the assumption that console players want an artificial 'sense of speed' from a wide FOV.

The irony is that it makes the game harder, as the road looks narrower than it actually is! And the 'sense of speed' is to me, better with a natural FOV since you feel more like you are actually inside the car - and when objects loom bigger in front of you, it's scarier!

• Agree 3

I LOVE the effect of heavy rain at night. That's exactly how scary it is driving at night in heavy rain.

Perhaps the frequency of getting a heavy rain/night stage is too high, but don't change this effect!!!

• Agree 1

Could it be that the real problem here is not the visibility, as in my opinion it is not that far of from reality, but the fact that the AI times seem to be completely unaffected by it? Say you won that stage by 5 seconds, would you be frustrated about visibility then?

Posted (edited)

My advice is ditch the career as its not as if the mode is any better than custom champ or freeplay. I ditched it Friday night after 7/9 races rain and 4 of them in the pitch dark. Not once did i have a night stage with no rain.

Anyway switched to free play and the weather was glorious with all cars available its really a no brainer and when you do want a dark stage you dont need to have 8 inch nails pissing down all the time.

Edited by FLAW3D
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)

I think there's a case for removing the rain/headlight visibility issue as a handicap, and instead raising the rain effect on the windscreen. That way you eliminate spaghetti rain, but still know it's raining heavily.

Personally when it's night time and raining heavily, particularly in Argentina, I turn the headlights off and it's significantly easier to see.

Edited by Rallystu2
  • Agree 3

17 hours ago, Rallystu2 said:

removing the rain/headlight visibility issue as a handicap, and instead raising the rain effect on the windscreen. That way you eliminate spaghetti rain, but still know it's raining heavily.

This was exactly what I was going to post just now!

Just increase the water on the windshield (presently in heavy rain there's very little). And outright reduce those 'rain bolts' and perhaps give what few there are, some transparency as well.

19 hours ago, Pistro said:

Could it be that the real problem here is not the visibility, as in my opinion it is not that far of from reality, but the fact that the AI times seem to be completely unaffected by it? Say you won that stage by 5 seconds, would you be frustrated about visibility then?

No, the problem is 100% the visibility (or lack thereof). As others noted above, increase the windshield effect and reduce the icicle storm. Win the stage or not, don’t care. I want to see the road beyond 10ft in front of me. Hard enough we’re on dirt, tight roads with jumps etc., the visibility issue makes it impossible to enjoy driving in these conditions.

• Agree 1

I feel like this was done better (ie better visibility) and looked better in Dirt 4.... I'll see if I can get some screenshots

I think dirt 4 had poor water effects too. For me, Dir Rally had excellent water effects all round, I absolutely loved them, I'm wondering if some expensive tech was used that they couldn't use this time around, or it was just a style choice, but Dirt rally 1's water work was wonderful.

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, Rallystu2 said:

I think dirt 4 had poor water effects too. For me, Dir Rally had excellent water effects all round, I absolutely loved them, I'm wondering if some expensive tech was used that they couldn't use this time around, or it was just a style choice, but Dirt rally 1's water work was wonderful.

+1