Worst looking game on the end of a lifecycle console

How is this possible? the lifecycle of the PS4 in ending ... how can it be that DR2.0 is the worst looking racing game of the current GEN?

Everything is blurry, blocky, HDR completely broken making this game nearly unplayable on the PS4 PRO.

Nearly 10GB of patch?? for what?? Game still looks terrible!

Terrible job Codemasters.

• Agree 2

Last night i turned HDR off and set the console to 1080p and it went from Extreme Blurry to Very Blurry which is a step in the right direction at least.

They have totally messed up the HDR implementation that the options should be disabled in the next patch as they clearly do not have a clue what they are doing with HDR.

But yeah its the worst looking title i have seen for years!

• Agree 1

I Think it Will never be solved. I don’t see any respons from the developers about this problem. It is very strange that they made such a bad port. Much more graphical  demanding (non exclusive)  games are looking and running better on the PS4 (pro). Is the Ego engine uncapable? I am really really sad about it! I just love the new handling model.......

Posted (edited)

Je pense que fallout 76 est le pire lol. Je suis sur Xbox s et sur le jeu dirt rally 2.0 et à part un ou deux bugs, c’est vraiment génial. Peut-être que vous choisissez la mauvaise console lol

Edited by Freddygore

I must admit that you guys are correct , my eyes are bleeding trying to focus on the awful looking graphics , it is extremely disappointing to be playing a racing game that looks like this , it deserves better.

• Agree 1

I think the game is actually graphically really nice, but its been drowned in too much bloom. A simple bloom slider (which the PC folk already have) along with perhaps TAA options, would probably go a long mile in helping show the game at its best on the consoles.

• Agree 1

9 minutes ago, Jake Cushing said:

I think the game is actually graphically really nice, but its been drowned in too much bloom. A simple bloom slider (which the PC folk already have) along with perhaps TAA options, would probably go a long mile in helping show the game at its best on the consoles.

That would be a great option! 👍

I just found a option to make the picture less blurry! I’ve changed the RGB full to limited (my Samsung is capable for full RGB) It now looks much better!!!

Posted (edited)

58 minutes ago, Hypoman said:

I just found a option to make the picture less blurry! I’ve changed the RGB full to limited (my Samsung is capable for full RGB) It now looks much better!!!

Holy smoke I read your post Hypoman and tried changing my settings (Xbox 1 X) - changed colour space from standard to RGB. Result: Poland in the sun looks less blown out, and the road is now more clearly delineated. Easier on the eye all-round! Still some hyperactive bloom here and there, but it seems better overall, at least to my hopeful eyes!

Edited by Jake Cushing

On 3/21/2019 at 10:22 AM, FLAW3D said:

Last night i turned HDR off and set the console to 1080p and it went from Extreme Blurry to Very Blurry which is a step in the right direction at least.

Sorry but I beg to disagree. If anything it is a step in the wrong direction. We shouldn’t be forced to cripple or downgrade functionalities to be able to play an AAA priced game one month old.

This is condemned to be considered a “minor” issue as it apparently affects only the PS4 users. How can we expect people in other platforms to even believe (and get their support) that in the PS4 playing this game feels like you’re using someone else’s prescription glasses (or, to paraphrase someone in this forum, that it looks like a “blurry mess”). Despite taking a break after every single stage, I cannot play the game for an hour without getting a nagging headache. I won’t even go into the rain issue, which could be better described as spaghetti nr. 5 falling from the sky!

But hey, at least we got two brand new shinny sound engines with the patch, exactly what everyone in the Community has been asking for. 

• Agree 2

I believe the issues are due to the 60fps, which is fantastic in a rally game. I agree the soft focus issue is a problem in night stages, particularly U.S.A . I'm imagining they are working on a fix but it may be difficult without compromising frame rate. 

Wrc7 looks pretty, but they lock it at a miserly 30fps. Personally I prefer a higher frame rate.

1 hour ago, Mastoideu said:

How can we expect people in other platforms to even believe (and get their support) that in the PS4 playing this game feels like you’re using someone else’s prescription glasses  

This brought a smile to my face this Sunday morning. The best description yet 🙂

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, Rallystu2 said:

I believe the issues are due to the 60fps, which is fantastic in a rally game. I agree the soft focus issue is a problem in night stages, particularly U.S.A . I'm imagining they are working on a fix but it may be difficult without compromising frame rate. 

Wrc7 looks pretty, but they lock it at a miserly 30fps. Personally I prefer a higher frame rate.

Dirt Rally? 3 years ago? 60fps

Monte Carlo is about to drop on PS4 and chances are its going to look alot worse than the DR version and were expected to pay for the pleasure.

Edited by FLAW3D
  • Agree 1

Well I don't know then, just offering a suggestion. Nobody is expected to pay for Monte Carlo. It's optional. 

I'm sure they are working on a fix. As to why they couldn't add it in patch one? Probably because they couldn't get it sorted for patch one I guess..

However it's such a minor issue for me as it only seems to occur in nighttime USA stages, and seems to only affect the top part of the screen, like some sort of graduating filter. I agree its off-putting, but it's not game breaking. Daytime looks sharp and fast, so it must be something to do with locked optimisation.

17 minutes ago, Rallystu2 said:

Well I don't know then, just offering a suggestion. Nobody is expected to pay for Monte Carlo. It's optional. 

I'm sure they are working on a fix. As to why they couldn't add it in patch one? Probably because they couldn't get it sorted for patch one I guess..

However it's such a minor issue for me as it only seems to occur in nighttime USA stages, and seems to only affect the top part of the screen, like some sort of graduating filter. I agree its off-putting, but it's not game breaking. Daytime looks sharp and fast, so it must be something to do with locked optimisation.

We have had 2 or 3 patches now have we not? Also Its all blurry. Daytime is not sharp in the slightest unless your on PC and you turn TAA off.

No, weve had 1 patch. The first patch was the one released alongside deluxe release, so i dont consider that a patch as it was before community access. So there has to date only been 1 patch. And daytime is sharp, i play on ps4 pro and dont have any of the soft focus issues in daytime whatsoever.

12 minutes ago, Rallystu2 said:

i play on ps4 pro and dont have any of the soft focus issues in daytime whatsoever.

Then it’s even more intriguing. Like many others I’ve tried every tweak I could think of both in the PS4 and the TV, from turning off HDR to forcing a resolution of 1080p, to sharpness and nothing seems to solve the problem. The dashboard is totally out of focus and the road is hardly distinguishable from its surroundings, even in daytime, specially in dirt or mud. 

• Confused 1

That experience doesn't resonate with me at all. I play with something called supersampling on, don't actually know what that is. The only time I get any soft focus blurring is night stages, particularly USA.

Hardly distinguishing the road from it's surroundings though? That is most unusual. Do you have some footage to back it up?

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Rallystu2 said:

That experience doesn't resonate with me at all. I play with something called supersampling on, don't actually know what that is. The only time I get any soft focus blurring is night stages, particularly USA.

Hardly distinguishing the road from it's surroundings though? That is most unusual. Do you have some footage to back it up?

Supersampling is a form of Anti Aliasing. The picture is first rendered at a higher resolution and then downscaled again; which results in less jaggies.

There´s also downsampling, where you can choose a higher resolution the game is natively rendering in, but then gets downsampled to fit your monitors resolution. Both may sound similar, yet downsampling yields even better results; because the whole picture is much clearer.

Edited by Civarello

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Rallystu2 said:

Do you have some footage to back it up?

There are plenty of pictures and movies on the forum already illustrating this issue but I can try to grab some next week.

Tweaking with the hardware settings shouldn’t even be a topic. The graphics should be crisp just out of the box, with ingame settings for HDR and brightness to allow for personal preferences and/or hardware differences. I never had to tweak anything on the PS4 or the TV to be able to properly play any (much more demanding) other games.

Ps: I’ve just watched the following video (@FLAW3D thanks for the heads up) from Digital Foundry that illustrates the problem better that I’ll be able to do:

Edited by Mastoideu
  • Agree 1

5 hours ago, Mastoideu said:

There are plenty of pictures and movies on the forum already illustrating this issue but I can try to grab some next week.

Tweaking with the hardware settings shouldn’t even be a topic. The graphics should be crisp just out of the box, with ingame settings for HDR and brightness to allow for personal preferences and/or hardware differences. I never had to tweak anything on the PS4 or the TV to be able to properly play any (much more demanding) other games.

Ps: I’ve just watched the following video (@FLAW3D thanks for the heads up) from Digital Foundry that illustrates the problem better that I’ll be able to do:

Yea I saw the video, I'm just wondering about the bit where you said you can barely distinguish the road from it's surroundings.

2 hours ago, Rallystu2 said:

I'm just wondering about the bit where you said you can barely distinguish the road from it's surroundings.

I’ll try to illustrate it!

12 hours ago, Rallystu2 said:

Are you on a small screen? Im guessing on a 40" or smaller it wont be that bad.

11 hours ago, Civarello said:

Supersampling is a form of Anti Aliasing. The picture is first rendered at a higher resolution and then downscaled again; which results in less jaggies.

There´s also downsampling, where you can choose a higher resolution the game is natively rendering in, but then gets downsampled to fit your monitors resolution. Both may sound similar, yet downsampling yields even better results; because the whole picture is much clearer.

It only works though if you have a 1080p TV set and the games res is higher than 1080p so does nothing with 2 0.

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, FLAW3D said:

Im guessing on a 40" or smaller it wont be that bad.

So size matters after all??? 😳

But it is a good point though as it would explain the difference in perception between PS4 users. In that spirit I just did a silly experiment. I’ve used the new app from Sony that allows to play the console’s games on iOS devices and tried it out on a iPad and, not surprisingly, the soft focus issue is almost not noticeable. Unfortunately I’m not psychologically prepared to trade my 75” Sony TV for an iPad, or alternatively saw it in half, to be able to play this game so @Codemasters please fix it.

Edited by Mastoideu
  • Haha 1