Sign in to follow this  

Stiff competition on the horizon...

Hopefully this thread doesn’t get locked, and I certainly don’t mean to alienate Codies in any way - but this game (WRC8), looks incredible. Watch the video at length (see link below), and take note of all the discussion concerning physics, road feel, subtle nuances/use of force feedback - and how they are implementing it to convey ALL aspects of haptic feedback for Rally driving. It looks quite promising, and seems to me that basically everything they are doing with FFB is the exact opposite of the FFB model we have in DR 2.0...

If Codies is paying attention (and they should be), hopefully this inspires them to fix the handling model currently in place. Not to mention the visuals in WRC8...all I can say is - wow! Dirt Rally has been the go-to for a few years now, and rightfully so. That said, unless they get this ship turned around and fix the numerous issues - I am of the belief DR 2.0 will be left in the dust. I sincerely hope this is not the case, but one can’t help but assume as much based on the what is happening with the game in its current state, and with what WRC8 promises to deliver.

https://www.teamvvv.com/previews/wrc-8-first-look-preview-part-1/

Again, this is not me getting my ‘hate on’, but rather pointing out the obvious, that unless they address the many glaring issues, the future doesn’t look so bright in the long haul...

• Haha 1
  • Agree 3

It does look impressive, but the key for Codies is to simply listen to the community, and get the major improvements out. Then existing buyers will purchase all the extra content. Fix up the excessive night and rainy, stages, fix up that rain effect, give console players bloom and FOV sliders, and of course improve the ffb.

It's a great base game Codies have built, but they can't afford to skimp on the improvements.

• Like 1
  • Agree 4

5 minutes ago, Jake Cushing said:

It does look impressive, but the key for Codies is to simply listen to the community, and get the major improvements out. Then existing buyers will purchase all the extra content. Fix up the excessive night and rainy, stages, fix up that rain effect, give console players bloom and FOV sliders, and of course improve the ffb.

It's a great base game Codies have built, but they can't afford to skimp on the improvements.

Well said. And to be honest my post though perhaps a little inflammatory - is just meant to further drive that message. I will happily spend my hard earned money on expansion content for DR 2.0 if the issues you noted are addressed. Until then, I will not spend another cent, and will happily await the release of WRC8 if the issues persist. IMO the state the game is in is not acceptable, and the most recent patch barely scratched the surface, they needed to do better.

• Agree 2

That looks and sounds fantastic. Hopefully come September its a great rally title. Very good competition means Codies will now have to be on thier toes. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

I hated wrc 7 so this game will have to improve the physics dramatically for me to buy it. Probably a game better suited for controller users. Felt too arcade and cars were unpredictable. Not to mention all the problems I had trying to get my wheel and other things to work with the game. 

I do hope they can sort those issues out and bring us another realistic game. Some competition would only make future games that much better. But if they release another arcade game then codemasters will just keep giving us broken games and promises because there is no competition to keep them in line.

• Agree 3

1 hour ago, Rigle said:

I hated wrc 7 so this game will have to improve the physics dramatically for me to buy it. Probably a game better suited for controller users. Felt too arcade and cars were unpredictable. Not to mention all the problems I had trying to get my wheel and other things to work with the game. 

I do hope they can sort those issues out and bring us another realistic game. Some competition would only make future games that much better. But if they release another arcade game then codemasters will just keep giving us broken games and promises because there is no competition to keep them in line.

The good news is that I saw in the previous video by the devs that they have built the handling based on wheel users this time rather than the other way around. So it really looks like they are making a more realistic and sim type approach to this one when it comes to the handling and other aspects.

I agree, the more Kylotonn do in regards to these improvments the more we will see from Codies in response and hopefully some of the really poor things that let the Dirt Rally games down and are even baffling to see still existing (Replays that still cant be saved, decent handbrake suppoert and the list goes on..) will also get fixed, when there is a bit more competition and pressure.

Edited by Rygar86
  • Like 1

Yeah for sure competition is good, though I will say these issues should be addressed regardless. I would hope they take pride in their game, want it to be the best Rally sim available short of just making an effort based on a competitors offerings. We all support Codies, and have spent lots of money over the years on their titles...goes without saying in large part it has been well worth it. Let’s hope they keep the drive alive and get things fixed as they should have been from the get-go.

• Agree 3

I think we'd be amazed just how happy DR2.0 will be making us, not too far from now. The graphics are actually quite amazing, it's just at the moment we get distracted by too much bloom and some not-quite-right AA and HDR effects (and that rain! 😪) If that stuff is fixed up it's a plenty fine looking game, and the meat of it, the handling, is really, really great. Let's stay tuned and see how things progress 💪

• Agree 1

I don’t see why people see it as competition.

- both games try to increase the rally genre market. If more people enjoy rally it is good. CM can learn from WRC, but Kyloton can learn again from DiRT. I think it’s more a healthy competition, and people should not try to force a split. I’m ok if someone is reasonable and critical with good arguments, but bullying, bashing and things is just a poor way.

- I can only understand if it is competition if you haven’t got any money and need to choose between one of the two games. 

- I don’t like WRC7 (maybe will give it a try again soon), but if WRC8 turns out pretty ok, I might buy it.

I hope WRC8 will be good and we have two great games to pick from - WRC7 was certainly a leap in the right direction - but the minute I believe VVV about WRC games is the minute I believe Theresa May telling me I want Brexit.

They were making out WRC5 to be a good game - I'll enjoy DR2 for the next many months and check out some WRC reviews near the time.

Fingers crossed we have two games to help push the genre on.

• Agree 5

For me it´s not only the next Rally-game. Yesterday Sekiro was released and I haven´t started DR 2.0 since then; and I think I won´t as much as I did the days before. Not only is it awesome from a gameplay-perspective (as almost always with FROM-games), but it REALLY feels like a 100% finished game. In 4 days the next Grim Dawn-Add-On gets released as well. So another game that is fighting for my time to play games. I know, totally different genres, but if I´m more eager to play other games the less eager I am to buy any DLCs for example. At the moment I´m a bit annoyed by Dirt Rally 2.0.

Regarding WRC 8: Kylotonn made some good improvements from WRC 6 to WRC 7. If they continue to do so, or even improve the game even more (considering they now had 2 years of development) I can see WRC 8 turning out to be a worthwhile Rally-game. More so than any of its predecessors. And the more choice we have in this sector, the better. It may not be as "Hardcore" as Dirt Rally or Dirt Rally 2.0, but that doesn´t mean it can´t be fun as well. But we´ll see once WRC 8 is finished; my expectations are not very high; so if it turns out to be good, great. If not, same as usual.

Edited by Civarello

If Kylotonn step up their game it can only be good for the genre and ultimately also for us gamers. Apparently it's still a WIP and it might be an improvement compared to previous games but to me the handling doesn't look convincing, to be fair. 

Edited by richie

My hopes aren't too high, the stages still look pretty flat and generic to me, I don't believe for a second it'll be a match for Dirt Rally, but it seems interesting enough to keep an eye on it. Hope there'll be a demo this time. And if features like 15 locations*, dynamic weather and (possibly) good FFB push CM a bit harder, that's a good thing I guess. Still confused by the fact that this is the developer that used to make unspeakable games like Motorcycle Club.

*I'm not saying CM should go for that sort of quantity, I'm all for quality over quantity. But in DR1 I was fine with ~120km of rally tracks because they were real-world tracks. If they make fantasy stages, I think they could at least make a few more to reduce repetition.

As wheel user I have never like how the older WRC games feel, there just not natural. That’s one thing that DR1 & 2.0 get right is the handling, which is th most important thing to me. 

I haven’t tried 7 so I don’t know if there’s improvement from 6. This looks really good and if the wheel support,handling, FFB and physics are good I would definitely buy it. 

• Agree 1

Given that it seems very unlikely that we will ever see the current spec WRCars in DR2.0 I really hope that WRC8 is good. 

I found WRC7 really lacking and it would be great to have another decent rally title to play! 

• Agree 1

After spending some time with DR2.0 I will say I do love the physics, the way the cars handle is awesome, improved over DR1. if we can just get the FFB sorted out I will be a very happy camper.

• Agree 1