Sign in to follow this  

Which is the best F1 game so far?

GP4. What more can I say? I have had far more fun on that more than any other F1 game!

1st - 2010 - the "live the life" experience
2nd - 2011 - I was able to drive it fast enough to keep up
3rd - 2013 - I'm learning to get up to speed, I still get wasted by all the other drivers.
4th - 2012 - Bought it, played it for a couple of days and just hated the wheel feeling changes from 2011, never went back to it.

1- GP 2 2- F1 2010 (Live the Life elements and gameplay) 3 - Ayrton Senna's Super Monaco GP 2 (for Sega Genesis)

I know it's not a CodeMasters game, but I really enjoyed the 'realisticness' of F1 Championship Edition. My favourite CodeMasters F1 game is definitely 2013.
Don't worry, it doesn't need to be Codeys.

The best F1 game ever, maybe F1 2000

I don't know, some games don't have the "wow effect", hard to explain why
Edited by TheEqualTester

The best F1 game ever? Definitely F1 Championship Season 2000 PC.
And then rFactor.
Codies' F1 games don't have the "wow effect"
I suppose it depends what sort of "wow effect" you're after. On pure visuals I'd still take the Codies games over rFactor any day, but rFactor certainly has the advantage in other ways.

Each F1 game is the best in its own way, apart from F1 2012.

2010 was a pretty solid effort and good base to build from, and pretty well presented. The physics were pretty poor as was the engine sounds, but it was alright for a 1st attempt.

2011 was pretty bad in terms of the physics, especially when the cars had tons of rear grip through the fast corners yet on the game you were prone to spinning out through the fast bends. I.e, Turkey T8. The menu's were even better than 2010, it was quite relaxing to watch the paddock

2012, yeah, less said the better.....

2013, Best car physics yet, best ai, rubbish presentation. Bring the paddock back!

But its safe to say the career mode is awful in all these games, it is so bland and lifeless.

But its safe to say the career mode is awful in all these games, it is so bland and lifeless.
Sounds like a realistic representation of formula one in its current state.

@scottishwildcat For me which impresses the most are the physics and overall feeling. F1 2000 I remember getting goosebumps and so excited when battling for 2nd place in wet Nürburgring.

On visuals the Codies games are of course better

Edited by TheEqualTester

Awong124 said:
Overall I think 2013 is the best, in terms of physics, feel, and the competition. Also, the mid-session save is an awesome and essential feature for me to play 100% length races. I really miss the "live the life" features in 2010 though. I thought that added a lot to the atmosphere of the game. I expected that kind of content in 2010 was just the beginning, and it would grow more and more. But instead, that content got less and less.
im sorry but what live the life 'feature' in f1 2010? all you got to do was answer a few scripted interview questions and repeated paddock interview questions. I like the idea, but not the implementation in that game.

2010: excitement for first game. but playing it now you realise how awful the car physics and handling are. Great graphics though and polish to menus.

2011: very buggy. but very fun with coop champ and tyre wear (+scaling). poor graphics.

2012: great handling, more polished package. again very buggy. removal of tyre wear scaling killed strategy element of 50% races.

2013: combination of 2011 and 2012 to make a good all around game. exciting races and slightly improved graphics. STILL very buggy. took months to get to a somewhat acceptable state. Much like in previous games, some parts seemed rushed (eg. available online lobbies not at top of lobby list!?)

Awong124 said:
Overall I think 2013 is the best, in terms of physics, feel, and the competition. Also, the mid-session save is an awesome and essential feature for me to play 100% length races. I really miss the "live the life" features in 2010 though. I thought that added a lot to the atmosphere of the game. I expected that kind of content in 2010 was just the beginning, and it would grow more and more. But instead, that content got less and less.
im sorry but what live the life 'feature' in f1 2010? all you got to do was answer a few scripted interview questions and repeated paddock interview questions. I like the idea, but not the implementation in that game.
yeah I think most liked the live the life idea but it needed expanded on rather than just shut down as it appears to have done in the later games. I know I liked it but I could definitely see the flaws but I thought as the series got bigger as I thought it might CM would have expanded this but it would appear not. Maybe now we aer on a new gen of consoles and have more power at our disposal they can look at reviving it I won't hold my breath though but it would be nice addition to the career mode as I think the career mode does need freshening up definetely

Still is Grand Prix 4, 12 years after the release. The reason is simple - while it had its fair share of bugs and defects, it's the only game that ever came anywhere close to believably represent a F1 race.

What made the difference with every other game before and since is the way the AI drivers and cars were managed. Essentially, the game simulated a F1 race in which the player could take part, is so they wished. Every single CPU-controlled car was subject to the same physics rules as the player car, to the point that an AI driver and a human driver could share the same car (as it happened in the hot-seat multiplayer mode) and it was possible to just watch a race unfold - select no driver and the AI contested the race all by itself, with the user able to "ride on board" with any AI driver and watch it drive.

As a result, the racing was quite consistent across the different tracks and track sectors - no absurdities like those in the F1 201X series, where you may have the same overall lap time as an AI driver but be 1 second faster in S1, 1 second faster in S2 and 2 seconds slower in S3.

The AI drivers were quite convincing too - jostling for positions, making mistakes, diving for gaps when it counted. Very advanced for the time, although there were some flaws during practice and qualifying sessions - sometimes, you'd slow down to allow an AI car through and they'd just slow down with you and sit on your tail until you almost stopped; they also had the characteristic of belting it around the track all the time - no matter if they were on a timed lap or just left the pits - although the AI in F1 201X seems to be the exact opposite, always happy to run into your back and always pottering around the track during practice and qualifying, almost as if they were just there as an obstacle for the player to get through.

Well I really liked 97 on ps1, 2010 too was cool, didn't like 2012 too much(party because that was wen I decided to drop auto gears and tc, and started 100% races as opposed to the usual 50 that I do. by the time I had settled down with no assists, my career was already too damaged to recover ) 2011 was my most successful to date gettin into a mclaren and winning d wdc.... 2013 is nice as well, but miss the live d life of 2010. And 11

2010 - I played the most, loved the career mode especially.

2011 - Was awful - graphically/lag/un-equal cars however the league races I did were the best so liked it in that regard with OP Slipstream

2012- Good improvement but did not enjoy the handling as such. Graphic were so much better than predecessors

2013 - Once again, handling was just perfect. Side-pod glitch was annoying. Overall the best for online, single-player boring and Classic stuff is lacking - got boring very quickly 

Geoff Crammonds GP4. sure, graphics aren't what they are today but the ai is better than any of the CM games by light years. everything else in the games happens in a much realler manner (other than slipstream). heavy fuel load affecting the ai, weather, strategy, damage, everything was just better.

F1 Championship Edition 2006. That was the best F1 game of all time. It was realistic unlike the rushed codemasters games. It had testing, tv mode, formation laps, podium ceremonies, good damage engine/was sensitive,  full flag system (didn't have safety car though), realistic tv style cameras. 

2. F1 97

3. F1 2000

4. F1 2010

5. F1 2013

I think that F1 2013 is the best game in terms of game content and graphics and physics etc, but the layout of the game is horrible and I think that F1 2010 had the best setup and F1 2010 is still my favourite codemasters F1 game so far. If they keep the F1 2013 quality and bring back F1 2010 layout it will be as close to a perfect game you can get

No love for F1 06 on the PS2?! It did everything F1 CE did but on the PS2; realistic AI, sensitive damage (including the rear of the car <ahem! codies> )  formation lap, commentary, deep career mode, nice weather effects, classic cars and even an option to simulate an AI only race to watch at your leisure! And all this on a system with 32MB RAM and a 299MHz processor

F1 Challenge 99-02 was awesome. Great to drive, all the sliders, all the damage simulation, all the mods (at one point I had pretty much every F1 season from like 1982 to 2009, some seasons even older than that, some fictional mods, couple of CART/ChampCar mods, DTM etc).