Sign in to follow this  

Which is the best F1 game so far?

started watching it in 84 but I was young and cant remember much of that era, from 1990 to the present day I have only missed 1 race live and have played every f1 game since 92 available on the consoles I had, s.n.e.s, megadrive, n64,  ps1, ps2, ps3, ps4, xbox 360. quite a few on my old computers and pcs too. im not sure how many hours I played that snes f1 game but it must have been a lot but in recent years I played f12004/2005 ps2/ps3 and f1 2010 ps3 a lot, way over 500hours on each of them,,,,2011 was less and 2012 and 2013 remarkably less,,in fact under 100 hours and that says it all about those games,,,just god dam broken on every level, multiplayer is a joke with the teleporting/lagfestival and there is just nothing to play for in the games as its all available straight out the box, no need to gain awards and open things up and that makes for a one week game, ie its traded in after a week 

cant believe I forgot about f1 2001 on the ps2 so I will edit this in, awesome game and well worth over 500hours of gaming,,i loved the a1 ring in that game and my 2 fav drivers were Hakkinen and Alonso because I liked there helmets lol turned out a good choice :) I like how Alonso has kept those lightning strike style decals on his helmet since he started way back in 2001 with minardi.

Spent my childhood playing Geoff Crammond's GP2, and still feel it is superior to any F1 console game ever made.. In terms of best F1 game overall?? Cant go past Geoff Crammond's GP4, with mods galore to cover any season to your hearts content and realistic physics and AI, who needs fancy graphics? 

Never played rFactor but would imagine it is the only thing that could touch Geoff Crammond

F1 2010 - long career, the 'live the life' aspect, no KERS or DRS.

It was a really good game, yes there were a few problems, but looking beyond the bugs and all that it was a decent Formula One game that presented the sport very well.

And also you didn't need to save your tyres like crazy! It was pure flat-out racing.

Edit: I will continue to buy the latest F1 game and try to adapt. Never give up.

Ollie24 said:

F1 2010 - long career, the 'live the life' aspect, no KERS or DRS.

It was a really good game, yes there were a few problems, but looking beyond the bugs and all that it was a decent Formula One game that presented the sport very well.

And also you didn't need to save your tyres like crazy! It was pure flat-out racing.

I agree that's why I still have and play it. In fact I'm halfway through my first season on a new career now.

Can only really speak in regards to Codemasters F1 games, as the only other one I've played was Championship Edition, but I was too young to appreciate Formula 1 then and never played the game that much.

I'd say in terms of the handling and racing F1 2013 is the best. I've had some incredible races on 2013, and if I had to choose one game it would be 2013.

But F1 2010's career mode is the best. The media interviews are dull and repetitive, but it adds so much more to the live the life aspect of the game that I can look beyond getting asked if I think I'm in contention for that championship for the 5th interview in a row. Whereas 2013's email system of "Well done you won the race" was just one big MEH

If I had to list them in order of  my preference :

1) F1 2010
2) F1 2011
3) F1 2012
4) F1 2013

From the codemasters games as a league racer;

1st - F1 2010 the best. Equal cars, less connection issues and little to no online lag. Simple handling model but it still managed to be fun. Setups could be changed and improved depending on the track. You could mess around with the ballast for example to get a different balance. Since F1 2011 every F1 game has had a single best setup for every track which is a shame.

2nd - F1 2012. Pretty decent game. Solid handling and sort of but not quite equal cars, decent online apart from the lag bubbles.

3rd -  F1 2011/F1 2013. Both are in the same situation of being absolutely terrible. 2011 was borderline impossible to play online with the horrendous lag and disgusting equal cars. 2013 has tons of connection issues as well. Both games have a terrible handling model producing laptimes far faster than anything possible in reality. 

With that said all of them are still worse than F1CE on the PS3. That game had a far better sense of speed, far better engine sounds, far better handling and actually made you feel like you were in an F1 race with the tv style and admittedly bad commentary.

As someone who plays alot of career mode f1 2010 was the most immersive and i hope they can carry this over and improve the concept with next years release and the improved hardware.

F1 2010 because the career mode was better, the paddock style menu was great and I do miss racing at Instanbul it's my favourite track. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: 

doyley101 said:

Frosties grrrrrand Prix racing? No? Anyone? Just me? I'll be off then.

OMG, yes!!! I haven't thought about that game in ages, incredible! I played that when I was about 5 years old on the PC! 

I've enjoyed F1: CE for the PS3 up until F1 2010 was released. I still go back from time to time and play it. I just enjoy being able to watch other cars in the qualifying and practice sessions in TV style and the parade lap built hype for the race. Great game all around.

Going by quality now, 2013. I've tried playing older ones recently that I used to really like but none of them seem as good as I remember them. 

Thinking back when I was younger; F1 1997 on PS1 and Formula One 2001 on PS2 (The one by Sony) are the ones I have the best memories of.

Oh, and F1 Race Stars. For the laughs at parties.

I would say a mix of 2013 and 2011, I've never tried 2010 so of course 2013 is the best, less bugs, better handling and 2011 has specially FP1 and FP2, I mean the role F1 weekend and also the environmnent is nice. I really don't miss 2012, lot of bugs and is the first year without FP1 and FP2, what a disapointment!

Well my xfire says F1 2013 is the one I have played the most I would have to stick to that handling is spot on.

In F1 2012 the car grips to the track too much although I have played it a fair bit

In F1 2011 it was good racing against ai and first chance of seeing a safety car which made it interesting

F1 2010 though now this was a great game and the start for this generation series and although it didn't have the safety car the handling tyre wear and race graphics were nothing like we had ever seen for this generation.

Best F1 Rankings

1. F1 2013

2. F1 2010

3. F1 2011

4. F1 2012

The best one I'd say was 2010 the career mode had more options with the press asking questions and podium interviews and such was great. F1 2013 was a good game, was until the released a patch and changed the handling on multiplayer.

The reason that F1 2010 worked for me is because it was immersive. The live the life bit in the paddock menus and interviews worked so well, and you felt like you were the driver. The games since then haven't had that same great feel. 

1. F1 2010 (clean race, without KERS, DRS, and similar trash...)

2. F1 2011 (most balanced)

3. vacant, and all subsequent...

From what I've read, it's still Geoff Crammond's GP series, and I believe I've even seen Steve Hood mention that he hopes that he can have Codemasters games close to what that series  achieved.  I've only played GP4 briefly, so can't give a full analysis, but out of things I've played more extensively, I guess iRacing with the Williams FW31 would win, despite them not having a full F1 License - they do have Silverstone, Suzuka, Interlagos, CotA, Montreal, and Spa, plus Monza will be arriving soon, so you can replicate a good portion of modern Formula 1, and it also has lots of classic tracks like Watkins Glen, Brands Hatch, and loads more.

From what I've read, it's still Geoff Crammond's GP series, and I believe I've even seen Steve Hood mention that he hopes that he can have Codemasters games close to what that series  achieved.  I've only played GP4 briefly, so can't give a full analysis, but out of things I've played more extensively, I guess iRacing with the Williams FW31 would win, despite them not having a full F1 License - they do have Silverstone, Suzuka, Interlagos, CotA, Montreal, and Spa, plus Monza will be arriving soon, so you can replicate a good portion of modern Formula 1, and it also has lots of classic tracks like Watkins Glen, Brands Hatch, and loads more.

Codemasters are good on the graphics side but they'll never touch Geoff Crammond's games in any other department. AI, physics, realism, authenticity, mod support its all first class. GP2 is still far advanced to Codies games to this day, unfortunately DOSBOX seems unable to emulate the game at full speed without winding the graphics down completely, meaning in time the legendary game will probably die a slow death.

Luckily mods are still being made for GP4, hopefully the community can keep that game alive.. could be the last proper F1 game we ever have

MUZZARIOL said:

Codemasters are good on the graphics side but they'll never touch Geoff Crammond's games in any other department. AI, physics, realism, authenticity, mod support its all first class. GP2 is still far advanced to Codies games to this day, unfortunately DOSBOX seems unable to emulate the game at full speed without winding the graphics down completely, meaning in time the legendary game will probably die a slow death.

Luckily mods are still being made for GP4, hopefully the community can keep that game alive.. could be the last proper F1 game we ever have

I think Codemasters are more than capable of smashing the GP series, but they won't. That's what annoys me about Codies, their games have so much potential to be amazing, but that potential is massively unfulfilled. Steve's being doing F1 games for at least 14 years, I'm sure he's capable of better. As I've said before, it's their flawed design logic, ethic and philosophy that's holding them back, not their ability.

F1CE on PS3. All sessions, formation lap, decent AI, ability to be a test driver, testing for a team to get a seat. Sure the handling was a bit arcade, but it was great fun. Spent a lot of ours on that. I've yet to see a CM F1 game to deliver the same authentic gameplay.