Sign in to follow this  

Which is the best F1 game so far?

Overall I think 2013 is the best, in terms of physics, feel, and the competition. Also, the mid-session save is an awesome and essential feature for me to play 100% length races. I really miss the "live the life" features in 2010 though. I thought that added a lot to the atmosphere of the game. I expected that kind of content in 2010 was just the beginning, and it would grow more and more. But instead, that content got less and less.

World Circuit on the Commodore Amiga was the best for me.  I'm an oldie though.  Its the one that got me into F1 gaming. 

The current best is easily F1 2013.  Can't get enough of that one, but wish I could hear my own engine over the other racers (US version wasn't fixed).

2012 in many ways.
I really hoped Lee Mather and T4RG4 had made it bug free and just adjusted the handling for F1 2013.
2013 got new ideas, but I hate the handling (as much as others love it), and the rather slow (and missing) updates was dissapointing.

There have been other great F1 games (not Codemasters) like MOD RH (Ralph Hummerich) for EA Sports 99-02, and Geoff Crammond's games.

I believe in Codemasters to do a fantastic game in the future, if they only would concentrate on bug.killing much more.

It's no use really to keep inventing all sort of "extra stuff" if the basic isn't as good as possible.
I'm not even talking of improving it, but just to make what's in-game work as it should.

I'm fond of both 2010 and 2012 personally but I usually decied based on whether I want to race with Kers and DRS or whether I ju8st want straight forward racing

I for sure really enjoyed F1 2012 from Codemasters, and spent approx 80 hours of driving in that game...it sure rocks.

I haven't played F1 2013, so cannot comment on that...

It's a bit hard to compare new racing games vs. old.. as graphics wise/computer power have changed a lot the last decade... eventhough as I think years back, I had a great time with GP4 from Geoff Cramming, it sure was a great game, with great physics, and AI.

GP4 was pretty easy to customise, so mods frequently was added... this is GP4 with a 2012 mod
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lX8uG-nVTb8

F1 2013 is the most solid of the Codies games for me, though it certainly does lack a bit of the atmosphere of the earlier efforts, which makes the career mode in particular a bit more of a slog than it ought to be. And I know a lot of people consider the classic cars and tracks to be a bit of a throwaway gimmick, but I have to say I still play on those as much as I do with the modern tracks and cars, both online and offline.

All that said… I doubt anything will ever beat the feeling of elation I got the first time I played Geoff Crammond’s original Grand Prix/World Circuit game on the Amiga. It was just such a massive step up from anything else that had been available, and of course, it had features that the Codemasters games still sadly lack—most notably, the ability to do instant replays from any car’s perspective at any time, and the ability to just sit back and watch a race with all the cars under AI control. And when I finally upgraded from an A500 to an A1200 and was able to turn on all the track detail without slowing down to a couple of frames per second, it was even better :)) 

(I never really played the later Crammond games, as I wasn’t a PC guy then, and I’m still not a PC guy now.)

2012 was utter rubbish, 2013 is way better than another of the other versions.

I've been playing F1 2013 the most since it's the most recent game, has better handling imo and has more tracks than the previous games, but I wish they'd bring back all good features from previous games.

If I had to list them in order of preference:
1) F1 2010
2) F1 2012
3) F1 2013
4) F1 2011

I've put F1 2010 first probably because I remember being really hyped for the game as it was the first proper F1 game since 2006.

If I had to list them in order of preference:
1) F1 2010
2) F1 2012
3) F1 2013
4) F1 2011

I've put F1 2010 first probably because I remember being really hyped for the game as it was the first proper F1 game since 2006.

same top 2 for me but 2013 is at the bottom with 2011 in 3

1 2010

2 2012

3 2011

4 2013

Agree. 2011 was the worst but 2013 was close. Handling of 2012 was the best. 2011 and 2013 was so much dumbed down.

I think my favourite would have to be F1 2010, it was just an awesome game. Plus there was an awesome soundtrack :D I also love F1 2012.

1. 2010
  2. 2013
  3. 2012
  4. 2011
I enjoy 2013 but have only played it 20 hrs compared to 100+ for the rest (even 2011).

Difficult choice.

The game I've spent the most hours on was F1 2003, when I was a young'un. It was just fun, and captured my attention endlessly. Out of all the career modes, I've prolly spent most time on F1 2005. Back then, it felt real, with the test drivers and mid season testing, and moving up the ranks. Also having an actual difference between 1st and 2nd driver. And I can't not mention F1 1998, the game that started it all for me. Being able to race with only 3 wheels was defiantly a highlight back then ;)

Then there was F1 2001. Best. Physics. Engine. Ever. The crashes were amazing. Stupid, but amazing. The way the cars took flight after even the most minor of crashes really entertained me. Onto more modern times, F1 CE, is still to me one of the best. It's difficult to compare the visuals to Codies' games, since they take a different sort of approach, but by gum did it look good. The time trials hosted when the sun was on the horizon, was stunning.

And now, to Codies' era. Say what you want, but I very much enjoyed F1 2009 on the Wii. It was so fun, and while the career was very basic, I spent hundreds of hours into this game. I defiantly spent the most amount of full seasons on this. F1 2010 was when it got real. The first taste of the online was amazing, and the realistic damage model spring to mind. F1 2011 was totally superior, visually and in game-play. Personally, I felt much happier on '11 than '10.

F1 2012 for me was and is the best experience. Partly influenced by this being my first proper chance of using a wheel on a F1 game, but also because of the active online users. I know I spent a lot of hours online, with and without friends, it just never got boring. F1 2013 has yet to capture this for me, but that is partly because I am yet to get a perfect wheel setup for myself and partly due to the matchmaking issues. The classic content was seriously nice, far more practical than the timetrial-able only ones in '04/'05/CE. 

So. It's hard to chose the 'best' F1 game. Almost every single one (bar 2004, sorry, I didn't like you, the handling wasn't good :P ) I have poured in hours over the years. They all have their advantages and negatives, so it's very difficult to simply chose the best. Although for me, '05/CE and '12 are right up there.

And don't get me started on rFactor mods :D

I know it's not a CodeMasters game, but I really enjoyed the 'realisticness' of F1 Championship Edition. My favourite CodeMasters F1 game is definitely 2013.

F1 2013 is the best so far, balanced between realism of simulation and fun to play. Handling is progressively better from previous titles. Cars do spin more than 2012 but still react to drivers input making it feasible for correction. Force feedback when lowered till there are no dead zone felt on my g27 is one of the best I've felt so far.

F1 2012 or F1 2010 is better as arcade racer using gamepad. F1 2012 is though better.

F1 2011 is worst of all, sliding, floating car with no grip. A wastage of time spent with false notion of "Difficult = Realistic". No fun at all.

I strongly hope that for F1 2014, mistake should not be made to make cars slippery just to achieve low down force changes this season. It is not a real car after all but a game. Icy handling of GRID 2 with no LAN gave it so short lifespan. Same shouldn't happen to F1 titles. 

Also plz never ever drop the LAN mode. It makes the life of a title much more that online version only.

Of all the games, F1 2013 is the one I always keep coming back to. Pure racing enjoyment my brother and tough AI on LAN. If you are used to F1 2013, previous titles feel like as they are work in progress. 

I judge a game in a few ways

time spent playing the game-2010

gameplay-2010

graphics-2013

online-2010

physics-2012 (before patch)

all in all I think 2010 was codemasters best F1 game, its hard to compare games from different era's like 1992 on super nes or 2001 (ea) -2006 (Sony) ps2 then the xbox 360 and ps3. All were good games at the time

I've played every Formula 1 game since 99 except 04/05 and CE (I played 06).

The best one for me was F1 Challenge 99-02, from EA. But it was unplayable with a controller, so I buyed a wheel and had the greatest fun I could have in a formula 1.

And I miss old Hockenheim