Hi

I've been enjoying your game so far but there is something that I find odd. I've got hardcore damage turned on, but the car never seems to develop mechanical damage. Things like engine overheating, steering damage, brake failures o.s.v. things that would become a nuisance for completing a stage. When you return to the service park, the game will often tell you that you have a borked radiator, broken suspension, engine damage, but this never seems to have an effect during the stage. The only mechanical damage that happens as far as I can tell is headlights breaking and punctures, other mechanical damage never seems to happen to my car or to the ai cars.

is this an oversight from you guys, or do I have something in my game settings that are stopping this from happening?

• Agree 1

I had what I thought was mechanical damage with the C4 on a New Zealand stage. I'd crashed and the middle light on the instruments was orange (in chase cam), then the car was labouting and not quick. I'm hoping it was damage and not a sticky/gravity bug that some have had.

• Agree 1

well, that does sound like mechanical damage. I've never had that happen to me, maybe something in the settings of my game that's keeping me from getting mechanical damage, but I've looked all around the options menus and I've never come across any option to turn that on or off, so I don't know. 

It's not your settings.  There are no further settings.

I think it still gives them. The problem is that they are way too durable. And the career modes 2 stages between service doesn't help the fact either. You'll see them eventually, but you really need to beat up the car over a longer time for them to actually come.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

ok, but then the durability on the cars is way to high. in real world damage like radiators borking and steering alignment damage can happen in one crash like it did in Dirt Rally 1. I agree that there should be more of a gap between the Services.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

So far I've experienced lost coolant and lowered engine output only. The suspension is tank-like, springs never snap and dampers take a lot of punishment to start leaking (got that once, but, along with wobbling wheel, it wasn't easy to feel). Seems like the hard damage effects are either not implemented or set to happen when part 'lifebar' is really close to critical failure which brings automated DNF.

Oh, and those rims are made of eternium, obviously.

I had a case when I played online one time where I smashed the car so much I could not go off the start line. So it is possible.

And DiRT4 had the same problem really, but you started with a car with worse reliability. DR2 seems to be like DIRT4 but with all the reliability upgrades installed. 

Posted (edited)

I would love the hardcore damage setting to be actually hardcore, and not just a notch above cosmetic.

It would be awesome if drifting slightly wide into the rough, or bumping an embankment etc could destroy/damage suspension. Constant high revs through a stage that would melt your gears.

Dealing with loss of engine power, or turbo, or electrical problems that would cause intermittent co-driver calls if they could be implemented to occur rarely & random would be cool. (An on/off option)

7 barrel rolls that only cracks the windshield, or hitting a tree head on at 100mph that only slightly knocks the steering alignment off isn't hardcore.

The only thing really effected seems to be bodywork.

Edited by Dscru
  • Agree 7

I agree with you guys. Basically I think the damage system needs to be overhauled in a general sense.

• Agree 3

3 hours ago, ShodanCat said:

I agree with you guys. Basically I think the damage system needs to be overhauled in a general sense.

I'm kinda on the fence about that. Personally, I do want a detailed damage system with individual components tracking and failures like individual drive axles failings, losing gears etc., but I also feel like that is actually a fluff like team management. Why? Because such damage makes sense in long rallies only, no less than 10-12 stages... and if you do clean runs -- it won't matter at all, unless the wear speed is increased and random failures appear due to bad maintenance, which IMO would annoy most players.

I'm going to try a full rally without repairing anything at the service intervals and see what happens.

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

Posted (edited)

I did New Zealand. 5 stages and by the last stage I had damage to almost everything and worn tyres. The stage was heavy rain and there seemed to be no difference to how it handled. Now I'll see the diffrrence with hardcore damage switched on.

Edited by cafe5150
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Doing New Zealand again in the Evo 6. Hardcore damage is on and I didn't repair anything at the service. Just completed stage 3 Waimarama and crashed. Engine light and the middle one are on. Co driver telling me there's an engine issue. The car is sluggish, sounds terrible, pulling to the left, steam coming out of the engine bay and vibration more than normal. I reckon it'll more than likely fail on the next stage. I would say the mechanical damage is working.

Edited by cafe5150
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3
  • Agree 1

hmm, seems like there is mechanical damage is working then. I personally think that durability is a bit high on the car after crashes, and those part failures should occur after one or two crashes, and not after what I assume is many crashes across multiple stages. But I dunno, maybe I'm just to good at keeping my car in running order at the service areas to notice any part failures.

4 hours ago, cafe5150 said:

Hardcore damage is on

The car is sluggish, sounds terrible, pulling to the left

I would say the mechanical damage is working.

So I wonder... does 'hardcore damage' just makes part lifebars shorter, or it needs to be turned on to feel pronounced effects on handling -- effectively making those effects non-present in career and community events? Maybe it's time to ask @ChristinaMc about whether we have hardcore damage actually enabled anywhere besides custom events.

Finished the last stage. Critical damage on most pats. Smoke coming out, wouldnt get more than 40mph and the right steering broke. Damage works. But like you say is it just for custom events.

• Thanks 2

Posted (edited)
18 hours ago, TheNorwegianPhantom said:

hmm, seems like there is mechanical damage is working then. I personally think that durability is a bit high on the car after crashes, and those part failures should occur after one or two crashes, and not after what I assume is many crashes across multiple stages. But I dunno, maybe I'm just to good at keeping my car in running order at the service areas to notice any part failures.

A BIT high?  It's about 10x too high in Career mode. 🙂  And yes, this has been complained about several times but it's some kind of messed up logic that Codemasters has for forcing this.   Every developer/programmer in the world, no matter how otherwise competent and brilliant has a few really stupid points of view, and this seems to be one of theirs.  limit damage heavily.

Edited by bn880
  • Agree 2

On 3/23/2019 at 8:23 PM, Dscru said:

Dealing with loss of engine power, or turbo, or electrical problems that would cause intermittent co-driver calls if they could be implemented to occur rarely & random would be cool. (An on/off option)

Well, the codriver calls are already in electrical failure lol

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, cafe5150 said:

Damage works. But like you say is it just for custom events.

it's in the My Team section as well. I've played pretty much exclusively in the community/AI challenges since release. 

I've given myself massive engine damage by not having enough time to repair the radiator at a service area. their mechanical damage system is one of the most advanced in the industry. it's just robust, as many people here have noted.

I'm an expert at tree hugging and car-assisted cliff jumping, so if they introduce a hardcore damage option into My Team I'll not switch to it, but it would be nice to at least have the choice.

5 minutes ago, ianism said:

I've given myself massive engine damage by not having enough time to repair the radiator at a service area. their mechanical damage system is one of the most advanced in the industry. it's just robust, as many people here have noted.

Thing is, I have quite a bit of experience driving damaged cars, especially ones with suspension damage. And a wobbling wheel, bent rim or leaking damper effects should be much more substantial than they're now.

4 minutes ago, BloodCat said:

Thing is, I have quite a bit of experience driving damaged cars, especially ones with suspension damage. And a wobbling wheel, bent rim or leaking damper effects should be much more substantial than they're now.

oh of course, but I'm not aware of any game developers who are able to (or bother to?) do that. I'm not sure it's reasonable to demand that of CM

2 minutes ago, ianism said:

oh of course, but I'm not aware of any game developers who are able to (or bother to?) do that.

BeamNG? :classic_cool: