Jump to content

DR2.0 really is a Graphically Stunning Racing Game

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

Setting aside the issues, especially on consoles, this really is a stunning looking title. The sheer amount of forest and grass in Poland that is being pushed past you at 60fps, and the overall effect during for example sunset, is just miles ahead of Dirt 4. Yes the heavy rain needs to be changed drastically, and yes there's too much bloom (the biggest flaw imho) in daytime.

But switching on the Xbox One X between Dirt 1, D4, and this - there is no arguing with how sophisticated the graphics have now become. I actually really like how moody Poland is during the sunset under tree canopy cover. And I love the changing darkness over some stages. Going back to Dirt 4, it all looks too simplistic for me.

There's a bit of a 'drawn' element to some the overall design, which I think is in keeping with gaming tastes now, and it's a bit more saturated in colour than I'd prefer, but it's easy enough to turn down the TV colour setting.

I think they've done a great job steering the graphic design between realistic and necessarily appealing to market tastes. And I think it is going to be AMAZING in a few months time with some more updates.

Anyone with any thoughts on specific elements of the graphics, please do share!

 

 

Edited by Jake Cushing
  • Agree 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Completely agree, Im on the One X. I think it looks stunning overall and the gameplay and physics especially on a pad is the best yet! Despite its few flaws which like you say hopefully they continue to update, Its a modern rally classic as far as im concerned. 

Edited by HAMW05WC2014
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree, even a 'standard' Xbox One. I think the graphics are a bit sharper since the latest patch and it handles much better than Dirt 4 (which was either too simplistic in arcade or too twitchy in sim). Rwd cars need more care and Group B are obviously wilder than Group N, but thats as it should be. Some bugs are still there yes and hopefully will be ironed out. It has its faults but overall I am impressed with the game so far.

  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Dreadful looking title on the PS4 Pro. Digital Foundry is their comparision video came straight out and said the Pro version looks no where near good enough. The game is just a blur on both PS consoles.

 

Normally X n Pro games the difference is minimal but as DF vid showed the difference is huge.

Edited by FLAW3D
  • Agree 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am on the XB1X, and yes - it does look amazing. I totally am having a love/hate with DR2.0

As you eluded too - in some ways they did an amazing job, in other ways  no. That said, you can tell (for what it’s worth), they really focused on graphical fidelity. I really don’t understand the PS4 Pro implmentation though, seems so completely counterintuitive based on what we got for Xbox and PC.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Jake Cushing said:

Setting aside the issues, especially on consoles, this really is a stunning looking title. The sheer amount of forest and grass in Poland that is being pushed past you at 60fps, and the overall effect during for example sunset, is just miles ahead of Dirt 4. Yes the heavy rain needs to be changed drastically, and yes there's too much bloom (the biggest flaw imho) in daytime.

But switching on the Xbox One X between Dirt 1, D4, and this - there is no arguing with how sophisticated the graphics have now become. I actually really like how moody Poland is during the sunset under tree canopy cover. And I love the changing darkness over some stages. Going back to Dirt 4, it all looks too simplistic for me.

There's a bit of a 'drawn' element to some the overall design, which I think is in keeping with gaming tastes now, and it's a bit more saturated in colour than I'd prefer, but it's easy enough to turn down the TV colour setting.

I think they've done a great job steering the graphic design between realistic and necessarily appealing to market tastes. And I think it is going to be AMAZING in a few months time with some more updates.

Anyone with any thoughts on specific elements of the graphics, please do share!

 

 

Stunning is in my opinion overrated, yes it looks good!  on PC better, but to be honest, in my case on PS4, for example is no near of GT sport graphic quality ..

  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

With PS4 it´s more like aquarelle than sharp real life imitation. 
Also those glare and dark shadow effects are way too extravagant. 
Tried both HDR and SDR, with calibrated OLED-TV.

 

Edited by SimFunny
  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

"Stunning" is a bit exaggerated in my opinion. In some places I even think it looks worse than DR1 (for example the texture resolution in certain parts). It doesn´t look bad of course, but it´s not really a mouth-opener on PC. Especially regarding other Racing games, which look WAY better and at the same time RUN better than DR 2.0. It does have some awesome vistas; but in my opinion the ones in DR 1 were even more stunning. In Greece for example, and the vistas when racing down the Mountain. But of course it´s all purely subjective.

Edited by Civarello
  • Agree 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I'm playing on a mid/high-end laptop and it's pretty damn great. my main issue is that at some times of day and locations it runs at 60fps no problem and then in Poland and certain parts of NE and NZ it drops to lie 25, which is really jarring. I'd like more options like a framerate cap, preview images that show you visually how each graphical option changes the visuals (AC Origins had this and it's great), and a bar which gives you and idea of how much vram the game will likely use with the current graphical options.

also, I turned off the lens flare and bloom and I much prefer it now. the trees in New England don't look all the same colour anymore, which is more accurate to how they change colour in the region in autumn and far, far prettier.

8 minutes ago, Civarello said:

"Stunning" is a bit exaggerated in my opinion. In some places I even think it looks worse than DR1 (for example the texture resolution in certain parts). It doesn´t look bad of course, but it´s not really a mouth-opener on PC. Especially regarding other Racing games, which look WAY better and at the same time RUN better than DR 2.0. It does have some awesome vistas; but in my opinion the ones in DR 1 were even more stunning. In Greece for example, and the vistas when racing down the Mountain. But of course it´s all purely subjective.

anyone else wish we were getting Greece instead of Germany in May?

Edited by ianism
  • Agree 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's not as good as say Forza Horizon 4 or Forza 7 on Xbox One and GT Motorsport on PS4 but I don't think it needs to be. It's up there though. Project Cars 2 has rallycross but the gameplay is far too twitchy and unstable to be enjoyable. I'm loving Dirt 2.0 and it will get better too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Anyone seen this? After a collision instead of the windscreen just going straight from clear to cracked, a crack actually developed across the screen. Nice touch. And if you also need to use the wipers if you get it caked in mud. Especially after being upside down  ☺

  • Haha 1
  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

At gravel when you turn wipers off (by holding that button few seconds), there is dust at windscreen but not area where wipers move.
So those wipers work even you don´t use them.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, ianism said:

also, I turned off the lens flare and bloom and I much prefer it now. the trees in New England don't look all the same colour anymore, which is more accurate to how they change colour in the region in autumn and far, far prettier.

Wish we could do this on the Xbox! :classic_mellow:

  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am on the ps4 pro and "stunning" is a stretch, but I do love the clouds and sky (especially distant flashes of lightning) as well as the reflections on the puddles.  The grass and trees are definitely more realistic than DR1 and D4.  It isn't the sharpest environmental rendering for ps4, but it is very immersive when driving on stage.  

  • Like 1
  • Agree 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On the PS4 Pro I feel the visuals could be improved by removing some of the glare, that gives everything in sunlight a murky look. Then it can be a bit overly dark at some parts under trees. These may be for realism and difficulty, but you can't use one hand to block the glare like Ari Vartenen on a Sim. When the lighting is right though, it's stunning and well rendered. The rain has been heaps better since the update in bonnet cam, without any white streaking too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Im on ps4 pro and to be honest I think its very disapointing, game play visualy looks better at times but the replays look a big step backwards to me, to have 4k on the xbox one x and not the ps4 pro is annoying me ha ha ha!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Kdtomcat said:

Im on ps4 pro and to be honest I think its very disapointing, game play visualy looks better at times but the replays look a big step backwards to me, to have 4k on the xbox one x and not the ps4 pro is annoying me ha ha ha!!!

With it hitting 4k on Xbox X we should of been seeing dynamic 1400-1800p res or even 1800p checkerboard on the Pro. Lets face it we got a very lazy port on the Pro. 😞

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

xbox one s is the same, you see everything blurry, without even seeing where you're going.:classic_dry:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Despite waiting for the next patch (hoping madly there will be a FOV adjustment for Xbox), I had to play it some more tonight. And after the 12km Australia stage in sunset, I can safely say for me personally, this is the best looking racing game I have ever played. The lighting is superb, the stage looks realistic but vivid, and combined with the sublimely excellent handling, this is simply rally heaven.

Now I shall just pray for my FOV option to come...

🙏🙏

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

30fps replays with PS4 Pro are disappointing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

PC performance is inconsistent across rally locations and I can't find out what causes this. Also certain settings I used to think would eat performance (ground cover, advanced blending, reflections, trees) can now be turned up with little to lose while setting like shadows and crowd give a huge performance hit.

Also a lot of the settings I'm not even sure it does anything. I don't have time to investigate so maybe CM can clarify or give us a performance test tool like in DR1 & D4?

  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Jake Cushing said:

Despite waiting for the next patch (hoping madly there will be a FOV adjustment for Xbox), I had to play it some more tonight. And after the 12km Australia stage in sunset, I can safely say for me personally, this is the best looking racing game I have ever played. The lighting is superb, the stage looks realistic but vivid, and combined with the sublimely excellent handling, this is simply rally heaven.

Now I shall just pray for my FOV option to come...

🙏🙏

The HDR skyboxes are glorious. 

Fov slider would be good and a return of the dashcam.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/24/2019 at 6:18 PM, cafe5150 said:

Anyone seen this? After a collision instead of the windscreen just going straight from clear to cracked, a crack actually developed across the screen. Nice touch. And if you also need to use the wipers if you get it caked in mud. Especially after being upside down  ☺

Yeah,  just bumping the bodywork slightly lets the crack grow really great 😄

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×