Sign in to follow this  

F1 community gone quiet

I'm not too sure. Seems like the lay-offs hitting Codemasters recently confirmed that they weren't doing enough for the amount of people working there, not getting a certain standard (completely missing the next-gem wave, releasing poor games like Grid Autosport and F1 2014) and the management of Codemasters released this as well and started to internally do a clean-up. But I'm not sure if that will make that F1 2015 will already be a great game. Might be, as Ferrari would say, a transition year.

Grid Autosport a poor game? I must have played a different game altogether then, the core of the game seemed solid to me. Of course it had online issues (I don't play online so I can't speak from personal experience but judging by what has been said on the forums).

I'm not sure how CM can afford to ignore F1 2015 as it is a make or break game for them or at the very least their F1 series and looking at F1 2014 it appears they ditched that to focus on it also.

Grid Autosport certainly isn't poor. It's very good, and it has a lot of work put into it, certainly more than F1 2014 seems to have got.

Andi said:
Grid Autosport a poor game? I must have played a different game altogether then, the core of the game seemed solid to me. Of course it had online issues (I don't play online so I can't speak from personal experience but judging by what has been said on the forums).

I'm not sure how CM can afford to ignore F1 2015 as it is a make or break game for them or at the very least their F1 series and looking at F1 2014 it appears they ditched that to focus on it also.
I agree I don't play online either so can't speak for that I know a lot of people do though. From a single player point of view though like you I think it's a very solid game. I'd go as far to say it's probably one of the best racers CM have produced. Sure there aer always things that need tweaking but you can say that about every game in fairness. I do think CM have learned from the disaster year of F1 2013 and Grid 2 given this years offering imo are definitely better. Yes you could say they should have done more with F1 2014 but given CM's limited resources you can see why ut does feel more like an after though t because I think all the efftime and effort I think has gone into making suer I think into making sure 2015's new engine and that does it's job straight out of the gate.

Grid Autosport would have been a good game in 2012. For a 2014 game, it already felt dated to me and absolutely unsurprising. I don't agree that Codemasters is the small game developer with limited resources. Everybodies resources are limited in time and budget. But Codemasters have a rather big license in F1, they go back a long way, they make good selling games, they are a well know name. I think they should have been a lot better in 2014 with their games. 

Grid Autosport is a good game, nice selection of cars & tracks & a custom cup mode that has all cars & tracks available from the start, but it would had been a much better game if it had simulation handling, fuel/tyre wear on all cars, pitstops, & decent cockpits on all cars.

I must have played a different grid to all you lot as I thought it was terrible! The cockpit was worse than ps2 graphics (personaly dont see the point in playing racing games with any other view but just my opinion) The tracks looked ok but the night racing was useless as it isnt dark and the handling on the wheel was just to painfull to bear. The only thing that I thought was good was some of the cars and tracks that were available from the start. Might have a different opinion if I tried it on a pad but as far as racing with a wheel goes id even take horizon over grid and what a let down that game was (handling)

I didn't like the handling at all, the races were short, there were no pitstops, the cockpit views were horrible, as a racer it hadn't in the slightest bit anything refreshing or new to the game and whilst the competition (Forza Horizon or DriveClub) is looking shining on PS4 and xBox One, Codemasters was stuck at the dark, grunge looking old-gen cartoony graphics. Like I said, in 2011 or 2012, I would have given it an ok score, but not with what I expect from a game in 2014.

Funny you mention driveclub as I bought it the other day and was supprised how good it was! Only on a pad so cant say about the handling on wheels but its good for a couple of good races, I get board on a pad very quick so havent got that far into it but the graphics when it rains are out of this world and its nice to not be racing around tracks Ive been driving for 20+ years now. Id give driveclub a good score if I was doing a review but I dont follow game development news (exept F1) so dont know what was said before release. Bk to gas I agree 100% with what you said exept id say 2010 rather then 12 but I really didnt like that game :)

FS7 said:
Grid Autosport is a good game, nice selection of cars & tracks & a custom cup mode that has all cars & tracks available from the start, but it would had been a much better game if it had simulation handling, fuel/tyre wear on all cars, pitstops, & decent cockpits on all cars.
Of course it would... but there's no way CM could have released such a game so quickly after Grid 2, or on last-gen consoles. And while the folks with Xbox Ones and PS4s might have been happy to wait, Codemasters' shareholders may not have been quite so forgiving, especially if they were aware that the upcoming F1 2014 was also essentially going to be a low sales boilerplate release.

F1 2014 is a great game. Maybe the best in the series.
Grid Autosport is a great game. have had a ton of fun racing in my league so far with the game.

It's the lack of communication about a patch, and lack of a patch to fix the glaring problems with F1 2014 that is the issue. The pad vs wheel difference has killed most of the league racing this year. The frequency of rain has made those surviving league either run with dry conditions all the time or create their own way of predicting when to use dynamic weather. 

There still hasn't been official word that there will not be a patch... last mention was there were still deciding.... lol

I've pre-ordered this game and paid full price for it every year since F1 2010. But, after the lack of support from the game producers this year, i will not be buying F1 2015.  My faith in CM has been broken this year. I'm done.

niblips said:
Grid Autosport is a great game. have had a ton of fun racing in my league so far with the game.

It's the lack of communication about a patch, and lack of a patch to fix the glaring problems with F1 2014 that is the issue. The pad vs wheel difference has killed most of the league racing this year. The frequency of rain has made those surviving league either run with dry conditions all the time or create their own way of predicting when to use dynamic weather. 

There still hasn't been official word that there will not be a patch... last mention was there were still deciding.... lol

I've pre-ordered this game and paid full price for it every year since F1 2010. But, after the lack of support from the game producers this year, i will not be buying F1 2015.  My faith in CM has been broken this year. I'm done.

I think it's the financial troubles that CM aer in at the moment that's causing the problems not so much the fact they don't want to release a patch for the game bu the upheaval at CM is throwing all their plans out the window at the moment.

niblips said:

I think it's the financial troubles that CM aer in at the moment that's causing the problems not so much the fact they don't want to release a patch for the game bu the upheaval at CM is throwing all their plans out the window at the moment.

Doubt its just that tbh as pc doesnt cost anything to patch (submit) and im pretty sure ms and sony dont charge anymore? Sure you have to pay staff but surely they dont hire devs just for a patch so should already be paying the wages of the F1 dev team anyway (from what ive seen they havent been affected yet) Ive never been a fan of the way cm treat the F1 series as each year the game has had something seriously wrong and cm have washed there hands with those so why would it be any different with 14 (even tho we didnt get 1 patch this time) 10 you would be held in your pit box for a age if others were pitting, 11 after the patch the top 6 would always dnf just as they were due to pit (100% races) 12 had such messed up weather (the big selling point of 12) it was impossible to drive if on the wrong tyre (one corner it would be fine the next it like driving on ice) From what I remember 13 was a pretty solid game as far as game breaking bugs goes but cm were patching that game alot after release, Possibly thinking 14 would be nxt gen and ppl would be put off if they didnt support it after release. Imo not even saying there isnt going to be a patch will put ppl off as unless its a ground breaking new F1 game why would ppl want to buy a broken half arsed game when pcars and forza6 are coming out shortly.

I for one have not been on this site for months, its the same old s*** everyday. i remember asking a question about a dlc i downloaded which caused me no end of problems and it took over a month to get a reply from codies staff by which time i just deleted the whole mess of a game  from my console, really a month? the games are a bug fest, constant save game corruptions which have been happening for 4 years lol and people wonder why the f1 community is deserting codefailures? the whole debacle about the old forums still annoys me, its shows how they react when under pressure, they just pulled the plug to silence everyone. if they were coming to the end of the forum contract you'd at least think they would warn the forum regulars  with a thread stating what was about to happen. anyway who cares? its only codemasters. if you want to join a real close f1 community there are many others.

I gave up with Codemasters ages ago. Their games have so many, many bugs that they don't bother to fix. 2013 seemed fine though, but I barely played for two reasons, by that time I was bored of the game franchise (2010 and 2011 were pretty much the same as 2013. Remember 2010 was broken and 2011 was a lot better) and secondly hardly anyone online. I don't buy Codemasters Racing games anymore, because if YouTube is anything to go by the game is still bugged and broken, some of these bugs going back as far as 2011

EDIT: And I'm playing Driveclub these days. Awesome online, don't think I've found one bug yet, but the AI is so bad

Best post on this forum. Couldn't agree more..
There was some terrific hype and anticipation for the game created in the build up to 2010 & 2011. Especially with the screen shots, Dev Diaries and Teaser videos and tweets from Codemasters.
we genuinely felt that the game was being made by F1 enthusiasts and it gave us confidence in what they were producing.

In recent years there has been no Dev diaries. No information. No creative promotion. No enthusiasm from Codemasters. 
This is fully reflected in the final games themselves. The features have dried up. There's nothing innovative. Nothing new.
Its abundantly clear they have run out of ideas and direction.
You only have to look at the awful box art to see how lacking in creativity they are...

That lack of enthusiasm rubs off on the community who have become increasingly frustrated and fed up with the games.
When we saw F1 2010 and imagined what F1 2014 would be like, it's fair to say it's fallen a long way short of expectations.
You can't blame people for filling a forum up with complaints and frustrations. These people care enough about the series to voice their opinions. It's evident that the community is not listened to. You only have to look at the 'wish list' of features that are almost copy & pasted from year to year which never get implemented.

I really hope someone from Codemasters sees this, because it is the root of all the problems on here and it could be resolved so easily! Just bring back that enthusiasm that was there in 2010!
And yet I can bet there's still no parade lap, no cool down lap to drive to parc ferme, no trophies sequence, no driving to the grid, no on the grid interviews, no grid walk, no position rundown before the race, no jumpstarts, manual starts, no changing strategy mid race by the pit crew or player or even use Kinect to code some player to pit radio voice controls. And bugs going back to the beginning of time are still there. See, I thought of that in five minutes, what's Codemasters' excuse?

Mostly bugs and nothing new is why I don't buy or talk about the game anymore. I don't buy any Codemasters game actually. I'm actually back on the forum again because of watching a bug video on YouTube

EDIT: Didn't even know these forums existed, because the last I heard, they closed

vtidixon said:
niblips said:

Doubt its just that tbh as pc doesnt cost anything to patch (submit) and im pretty sure ms and sony dont charge anymore? Sure you have to pay staff but surely they dont hire devs just for a patch so should already be paying the wages of the F1 dev team anyway (from what ive seen they havent been affected yet) Ive never been a fan of the way cm treat the F1 series as each year the game has had something seriously wrong and cm have washed there hands with those so why would it be any different with 14 (even tho we didnt get 1 patch this time) 10 you would be held in your pit box for a age if others were pitting, 11 after the patch the top 6 would always dnf just as they were due to pit (100% races) 12 had such messed up weather (the big selling point of 12) it was impossible to drive if on the wrong tyre (one corner it would be fine the next it like driving on ice) From what I remember 13 was a pretty solid game as far as game breaking bugs goes but cm were patching that game alot after release, Possibly thinking 14 would be nxt gen and ppl would be put off if they didnt support it after release. Imo not even saying there isnt going to be a patch will put ppl off as unless its a ground breaking new F1 game why would ppl want to buy a broken half arsed game when pcars and forza6 are coming out shortly.
I agree I was just saying I think that is one of the reasons though atm. I didn't say it was necessarily the only problem. We do know that CM are going through a bit of a turbulent time and that is bound to have some effect whether they or we want it to or not. Still I hope they can steer themselves out of this storm and get things back on track

In a way id like to see them come out the other end also and start making great games again but after the no patch for 14 a bigger part of me wants them to fail as imo cm have only themselfs to blame when you look at all the games they released on last gen! I own all the F1 games and I did enjoy all of them (exept 11) they are great for having a long race where strategy can make the difference but where they have become so stale you pretty much know what the AI will do and even online hasnt changed in 5 years. There have been many good suggestions put forward by ppl yet not 1 has been added over the 5 games and nothing by cm to really make ppl come back for more (unless love F1) Operation flashpoint is another game I really enjoyed playing but the bugs that were in both games was even worse than the F1 series combined :) Dirt was another game that was fun to play and the wheel effects in 3 always put a smile on my face so imo cm can and do make good fun games the problem is they seem happy with a half arsed job and then expect ppl to just axept 1 or no patch. All the games I mentiond were made with there ego engine so fingers crossed they can start releasing what most would call a finished game with there new engine and actually listen to what ppl want in there games. If 15 doesnt feature 75% of the features asked for over the last 5 years I honestly cant see it being a big seller for them. 

Indeed, they need this next game to surprise us much like 2010 did. I've started playthroughs of all the previous games and it surprised me how good the career mode in 2010 was in comparison to 13 and 14 especially. (Although I didn't do many races as the racing part of the game was nowhere near as good and far too easy). It was the initial feeling of starting the career that really got me the most and although the interviews were bland and the driver manager was a bit of a wet fish it was something new for an F1 game and much more immersive and it's probably what makes 2010 stand out as the strongest F1 game they have done for many people.
They need to take a few steps back while at the same time holding on to the aspects they have improved. They could bring back the young drivers test but instead of making it a tutorial they could make it a proper test (like in Studio Liverpools career modes) and how well you do will determine which teams offer you a position. If you do the test in a Ferrari for example, you'd then be affiliated with them for your career and they would evaluate how you're doing and if you impress them enough they would then offer you a drive later on. Then upon accepting an offer you would go to a winter test and help develop the car, choosing which areas you feel need improved and so on. (In this way, even season one of career mode wouldn't be the same as GP mode if you develop the car well enough).
The whole of career should have a much heavier focus on R&D so that every race is different rather than getting the same results. It would be a huge improvement on what it currently is and will give us something new to do. That's just my personal opinion and one example of what they could do.

If they start the game the same way they have in the last few games then it is highly likely the game will struggle. They need a fresh start and hopefully developing the next game with their new engine will give them this chance. Since it's also had extra development time compared to the other games (like 2010 did) then hopefully we will finally get the game we've been hoping for. It's definitely a make or break game for them this time.

Indeed, they need this next game to surprise us much like 2010 did. I've started playthroughs of all the previous games and it surprised me how good the career mode in 2010 was in comparison to 13 and 14 especially. (Although I didn't do many races as the racing part of the game was nowhere near as good and far too easy). It was the initial feeling of starting the career that really got me the most and although the interviews were bland and the driver manager was a bit of a wet fish it was something new for an F1 game and much more immersive and it's probably what makes 2010 stand out as the strongest F1 game they have done for many people.
They need to take a few steps back while at the same time holding on to the aspects they have improved. They could bring back the young drivers test but instead of making it a tutorial they could make it a proper test (like in Studio Liverpools career modes) and how well you do will determine which teams offer you a position. If you do the test in a Ferrari for example, you'd then be affiliated with them for your career and they would evaluate how you're doing and if you impress them enough they would then offer you a drive later on. Then upon accepting an offer you would go to a winter test and help develop the car, choosing which areas you feel need improved and so on. (In this way, even season one of career mode wouldn't be the same as GP mode if you develop the car well enough).
The whole of career should have a much heavier focus on R&D so that every race is different rather than getting the same results. It would be a huge improvement on what it currently is and will give us something new to do. That's just my personal opinion and one example of what they could do.

If they start the game the same way they have in the last few games then it is highly likely the game will struggle. They need a fresh start and hopefully developing the next game with their new engine will give them this chance. Since it's also had extra development time compared to the other games (like 2010 did) then hopefully we will finally get the game we've been hoping for. It's definitely a make or break game for them this time.

but it hasn't had EXTRA development time, they've had LESS time.... they initially said they wanted to release it for the start of the real F1 2015 season with DLC throughout the season. That would be March 14th 2015, seven full months earlier than it would be released (Oct 2015) if they followed the regular release schedule from the past 5 releases.

Your suggestions would be great additions to the game. A deeper Career development scenario would be fun. But with Steve Hood leaving, the lack of development time, a new game engine, and countless other challenges facing CM, I wouldn't hold my breath for a great game. Instead, i'd just be surprised if it makes it to the shelf of the stores.

Hey nibs - I'm sure they did have extra development time because they probably started it a couple of years ago.  They said "early season release", so I've recently taken that to mean anytime in the first half of the season :)  Codemasters.... pffft.

Yeah as far as I know they had initially started developing 2014 for new gen. I remember reading an article about it shortly after 2013 was released. I'm guessing time constraints made them abandon that and keep 2014 on the old gen. I'm only going by assumption here but that to me sounds like they've been developing both games parallel to eachother which would mean 2015 would have had an extra half year development. It could also explain why 2014 isn't getting any post-release support with patches and such and why there was next to nothing new in the game.
I could be wrong though.

Who knows, they could surprise everyone.

niblips said:

GRID A/S is a good game.....Know why? It works. It's fair and problems were fixed (took a while but they were fixed)

I am not boycotting Codemasters as a whole......But I am boycotting Codemasters Birmingham. The people there are clearly not up to the job. 

It's obvious really. I mean where does the real talent go? To the big companies. Microsoft, Ubisoft, EA and Activision and affiliated studio's. And all the irrelevant companies (and in the grand scheme of things, Codemasters are now irrelevant to the gaming world, they could disappear and no one would notice, someone would pick up the license and that would be that) get the interns......The young guys just starting their career, or the sub par developers and programmers that couldn't get a better paid job at a bigger company.

There has  not been one single iteration of F1 from Codemasters (7th gen) that hasnt had stupid, avoidable problems. Invisible Walls, floating bollards, worn tyres put on in pit stops, crazy lapped cars that try and take you out,  lag, disconnects, pad v wheel issue, every dynamic race is wet, and on and on and on.........

I'm not even bothered at this point. Not even angry anymore. I actually feel now like it's a good riddance, you won't be getting my money, I will forget about you, wait for you to go under (And if anyone is under any illusions that Codemasters isn't going under then they are in some vehement denial)  and then wait for a proper developer with proper staff to pick up the license./

And their customer service! Oh Lord their customer service  :D