Motorsport Games, Codemasters and FIA World Rallycross Championship presented by Monster Energy partner to create the World RX Esports Invitational Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  

F1 community gone quiet

I've been browsing the forums since 2010, occasionally reacting, giving feedback to current games and posting suggestions about games to come. And in the period 2009 - 2012, this was a rather active community with nice people and the occasional troll. But more important, the forums was not only kept alive by the posting members, but also from within Codemasters, with Steve Hood and Andy Grey popping up, giving some insights in the development cycle. 

But for well over a year (maybe even 2) now, it's gone quiet. The F1 series started so well with developer diary movies, interviews with some of the members of the Codemasters team (Steve Hood, Paul Jeal, Anthony Davidson, remember?), messages on the forum. All very interactive and popular with both F1 and gaming fans. And in 2015 now, there is nothing left of this vibe. A month before a game release, Codemasters posts a press release on their website announcing a game, 2 paragraphs of text and a release date. And then they go quiet for another year. 

And ofcourse, there is no unwritten or written rule in the world of gaming that developers should interact with their fans, and ofcourse, even with no information, I will still be in the store somewhere this year, buying the game and having a good time with it, like I did with the previous games. But I miss that little extra: that extra thing that made F1 2010 more than just a game. I miss that F1 was about Formula 1 enthousiasts in the group of developers and in the group of gamers, and they all coming together online on this platform.

I don't know who the Steve Hood, Paul Jeals or Andy Gray's are right now in the team. But I felt like writing this little post here to let you know how much I enjoyed not only the games, but especially the road towards these first games as well.  

I think (unfortunately) most of the community (from what I have read) has pretty much given up with the games progression (or lack of it!) and the developers seem to have given up with the forum since they just continue to get bashed at every turn...I check in every so often but for me the F1 games have gotten really stale (same tracks, presentation, last gen etc). I'm playing Drive Club a lot at the moment ( more arcade, I know, but I'm finding it good fun and that is why I play these games). I will pick up F1 2015 forsure but I will also pick up Project Cars so who knows how much time I will actually spend with it... I hope with all hope that CM nails it this time and the rain effects look as good as Drive Club (they are simply amazing...!) Maybe once CM starts talking about F1 2015 this forum will light up again, hopefully that will start sooner than later... peace.

I'm surprised it seems they gave GAS a big build up it deserved it as it's a great game and I thoroughly enjoy playing it. The only thing with 2014 is I think they're moer focused on bigging up 2015 given it'll be the first next gen game. Which is why they made very few changes for 2014 other than changing what needed to be changed. Hopefully this'll change going into next gen I'm not holding my breath on it but the next move is of course CM's not ours on that sense.

I feel almost identical to the OP. I was a very active and frequent poster in the first guise of CM's forums, and in the same way as the OP I was also getting an extra buzz from the forum activity in the lead up to F1 2010. In fact, I was experiencing this buzz on the forums when the biggest F1 game at the time was still F1 CE. 

There were a lot of great characters on the old forum, and new posts were so much more frequent than they are nowadays. Only the other day I made my first post here in about a year, despite visiting regularly, in a bid to try and recapture that buzz surrounding the community nature, but it really is flat. I think this could be for multiple reasons.

Firstly, as has already been said there has been a shift in management at CM. Also, when CM first got the license and announced that F1 2010 was going to be released on PS3 & XBox 360, it was a big deal because the latest F1 game on the market was based on the 2006 season, so it gained a lot of attraction. You also sense there was that fresh motivation amongst the CM staff, which may have been lost over time if you look at the lack of enthusiasm which goes into their current advertisement campaigns. 

Another factor contributing to the quieter forums is probably due to the formation of many racing leagues. Many, if not all, racing leagues have their own forums and posting on private sites helps develop their own sense of community. Having been part of a few racing leagues I can say that once I became comfortable with the people on those forums my posting certainly shifted more heavily towards them, and further from the CM forums. 

It would be nice to experience that extra bit of excitement the forums could once offer, but I don't feel it will happen based on the development of private racing leagues and the hole CM have dug themselves through lack of marketing.

Codemasters newer games started to suck aswell. F1 2011 to 2014, Grid 2 and Grid AS,  DiRT 3 and DiRT Showdown are not even as good as their predecessors. 

I'd say Grid AS is a great game and is comparable to the original in terms of quality (may be even better, it just doesn't have the wow factor that the original had at the time), some people don't like the online in the game but I'm purely an offline player.

https://www.change.org/p/codemasters-give-the-f1-game-license-to-slightly-mad-studios-or-make-a-better-f1-game/share?after_sign_exp=default&just_signed=true

Andi said:
I'd say Grid AS is a great game and is comparable to the original in terms of quality (may be even better, it just doesn't have the wow factor that the original had at the time), some people don't like the online in the game but I'm purely an offline player.
As am I which is why I probably enjoy it more than most too.

Totally agree with the op! I come on bout once/twice a week to see what is happening and 9 times out of 10 only bout 10 new posts have been made :( I think you all hit the nail on the head with cm running out of ideas themselfs and simply not willing to take into account what the player might want instead. Says it all to me when they hype up season challenge (who likes a 5 lap race ffs) shorter seasons and it being more accesible on a pad, BIG LOL! Imo this is not nfs so why try and target that kind of customer when most wont understand F1 yet alone play it for anything else but sprint racing online (badly most of the time) I love the new handling model and the speed of the AI but everything else has just got very boring or I get a stupid bug that wrecks a hours racing and feel like throwing my toys out of the pram :) I guess the biggest problem on here is whats left to talk about? Hatta is about as much use as a handbrake on a canoe when it comes to anything! Im sure all he can type is ive given feedback to the team or im sorry cant answer that. Not having pop at him directly just saying if he cant tell us nothing and there hasnt been anything ground breaking since the first release in 2010 then ppl wont come on here just to keep reporting bugs as again cm refuse to do anything about any of them (esp this year) I said I wouldnt buy 14 but did and I do/did enjoy it (handling) but if 15 doesnt blow us all away with a totally new game then I fear even the most diehard fans (me) would just forget cm when it comes to racing games in the future! GAS guys really? I hate that game so much on my wheel! Id even say horizon was a more enjoyable game than that game (touring was ok ish tho)

THE COMMUNITY REFLECTS  the lack of impact the F1 series has made ...... declining every year ..

CM sure hurt things my vaporizing the old forum, too ... what a stupid move .

FIRST EMAIL. they gave no answer.

Posted on: Tuesday, 21 October 2014 03:39
To: custservice@codemasters.com
Subject: F1 2014

I bought F1 2014 (PC)

Control: Logitech G27

Difficulty: Legends

I saw a video of a person playing f1 2014 on XBOX and the mercedes team and doing 1: 25:100 in Melbourne in Q3, I've tried everything, I can not even get close.

When the V-SYNC is off my G27 is runaway.

I can not keep up with the rhythm Hamilton, Vettel and others. They are always doing much better laps.

Hamilton (IA) did in Melboune 1: 25: 200 in Q3, impossible to get close, I've got 20 hours trying everything, reading, everything that ever came out, trying to improve my best mark. 1: 25: 900 in TIME TRIAL

From what I see the Xbox and PS3 people are getting very fastest laps for some reason, do not know if it's connected by VSYNC or problems between platforms. But there's something wrong, we are not all doing the same times.

You already know this problem?

SECOND E-MAIL.

From: Rafael Perucchi [mailto: rafaelperucchi@uol.com.br]
Posted on: Sunday, January 4, 2015 05:17
To: 'admin@formula1.com'; 'customercare@formula1.com'; 'business@formula1.com'
Cc: 'business@formula1.com'

Please !!!
The F1 2014 game is full of bugs. The producer codiemasters does nothing about it.
Please do something about it.

see:
http://forums.codemasters.com/discussion/4291/patch-confirmation#latest
http://forums.codemasters.com/discussion/comment/67016#Comment_67016

CHANGE.ORG
https://www.change.org/p/codemasters-give-the-f1-game-license-to-slightly-mad-studios-or-make-a-better-f1-game/share?after_sign_exp=default&just_signed=true

ANSWER

----- Original Message -----
From: Customer Service mailbox [mailto: custservice@codemasters.com]
Posted on: Tuesday, January 6, 2015 05:44
To: 'rafaelperucchi@uol.com.br'
Subject: Reply from Codemasters ref: 02523728

Thank you for submitting your recent request to Codemasters Customer Services concerning F1 2014.

I am afraid that gameplay assistance is not available from this email address. Codemasters' Customer Services provide predominantly technical assistance, as well as problems with game media and information on forthcoming releases.

We would recommend that you do a search on the internet for assistance with F1 2014. The following website normally has good information: www.gamefaqs.com
Alternatively visit our forums at www.codemasters.com - as other users will probably be able to assist you.

Kind regards
Rob
Codemasters Customer Services
----------------------------------------------

If you need further assistance, please reply or send a further email with the following subject line:-

Reply to Codemasters ref:02523728
or click on the following link...
MAILTO:custservice@codemasters.com?SUBJECT=CodemastersUPDATE:02523728

Has this email helped? Let us know at

http://csfeedback.codemasters.com

Your feedback is important to us – particularly if it can help other customers - and we welcome any comments that you might have. NOTE that this form cannot be used to obtain further assistance.

Colin McRae Rally game on iOS and Android...
https://itunes.apple.com/app/id566286915
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.codemasters.cmrally

F1 Racestars OUT NOW on iOS...
https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/f1-race-stars/id609011789?mt=8

THIRD E-MAIL

----- Original Message -----
Posted on: Tuesday, January 6, 2015 22:38
To: 'Customer Service mailbox'
Cc: 'custservice@codemasters.com'; 'fodm@fomltd.com'; 'customercare@formula1.com'; 'business@formula1.com'; 'admin@formula1.com'; 'customercare@formula1.com'; 'business@formula1.com'
Subject: Reply from Codemasters ref: 02523728

I will send to all emails FIA and FON I find, to let everyone know that disregard with of you to the people who paid for a terrible game.

You should lose the right to produce this game. A game with millions fans and we treat you out too disrespect.

The game is full of BUGS and you do nothing.

SECOND E-MAIL.

Posted on: Sunday, January 4, 2015 05:17
To: 'admin@formula1.com'; 'customercare@formula1.com'; 'business@formula1.com'
Cc: 'business@formula1.com'

As a massive Formula One fan and a massive racing game supporter, I feel CM are the best people for the job of producing an accessible and fun racing expereince, however a few vital features/actions are really putting their licence and Formula One games at risk;

Something that was keen and proactive in pervious CM/SL titles have been discarded and leaves the game with less less and less features each year. Paddock, interviews, FP1/2 all that stuff. 

The EGO engine is old and out of date and has been since about 2012, since then the features have stopped and so has the train on which keeps the fanwagon going. Its good that F1 is on next gen but I feel its 1-2 titles too late for that. Every PS console has had a F1 title at launch, 2014 should of been on next gen, there's no lies there. 

2015 is a big year for CM and F1 video games. If this fails there's no turning back. A lack of updates for previois titles and not much community interaction with CM devs has really stopped and we should be having screens and even information about the 2015 game by now if its due after the first couple of rounds. 

2014 is going in the right direction but we can't determine how good CM is by the fact that a game is released on a old console with far less capability for more features/calculations. 

It'll come together, but hopefully it's not too late. 

Cmon CM pull your finger out and surprise us with a damn good game!

I bought F1 2014 (PC)

I saw a video of a person playing f1 2014 on XBOX and the mercedes team and doing 1: 25:100 in Melbourne in Q3, I've tried everything, I can not even get close.

I can not keep up with the rhythm Hamilton, Vettel and others. They are always doing much better laps.

Hamilton (IA) did in Melboune 1: 25: 200 in Q3, impossible to get close, I've got 20 hours trying everything, reading, everything that ever came out, trying to improve my best mark. 1: 25: 900 in TIME TRIAL

From what I see the Xbox and PS3 people are getting very fastest laps for some reason, do not know if it's connected by VSYNC or problems between platforms. But there's something wrong, we are not all doing the same times.

Did you really emailed them to cry about your lack of skill?

aktisti said:

I bought F1 2014 (PC)

Did you really emailed them to cry about your lack of skill?
No, I cried for your lack of intelligence and knowledge about the BUGS game.

It has been said by several members of the G27 FORUM without VSYNC connected the car is totally out of control ... and, with the "FPS" limited the difference between the lap times, it has even been confirmed by the CM in F12013 and F12014 happens again in.

Before coming criticize me do a great favor to yourself, read more on the subject.

http://forums.codemasters.com/discussion/4389/f1-2014-pc-fps-bug-2-0
http://forums.codemasters.com/discussion/4370/f1-2014-weird-ffb-career-austria-unplayable-with-g27
http://forums.codemasters.com/discussion/4174/f1-2014-g27-force-feedback-problem
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FuwdfCWJo6E

I think part of the problem has been the fact we've changed forums so quickly and without warning, it's killed off a lot of the members.

The start of the Forum demise was when the Forums went down for several months because Codemasters let their Contract run out with no backup in place.  Things have never been the same since then, but a disappointing F1 2014 release, and basically the same game for 5 years in a row with little improvements in terms of the ones the community was asking for, obviously contributed a lot too.  Dev posts help spur conversation, but those are non existent these days.

Cannot blame people for losing interest in the F1-games. To be honest, there have been way too small changes in the game and CM have never listened to the audience.

What happened to:
* creating your own helmet-design?
* having your own name on the driver suit?
* having your own name on the car?
* manager-mode with your own team (and livery)?
* game face?

I'm just bying F1 2015 because I need a F1-game for my PS4. Not because I have high hopes for a brilliant game.

in my opinion the game had few graphical improvements, but not on the tracks, added cool items as return the position to the opponent, safety car, but lost focus of the game to reduce climate effects was the postcard of the game! this serving idiots requests!
in the middle of these five years we had productions as Project Cars and Assetto Corsa, and if Codemasters wants to continue to sell the F1 series should do a fantastic job of details on the track as seen in Project Cars and Assetto Corsa, return of the car physics, seen in F1 2010 when it leaves the track, the behavior was very real, full of jumps, the game over the years was too arcade.
should return with Anthony Davidson, or other F1 driver to return the sense of direction! spite of everything! like to play F1, even against titles like Project and Assetto (as mods) but it is necessary take it to the level of these competitors and bring your audience back, and how to do? elaborate carefully the simulation detail and bring the track, while maintaining the physical F1 found in 2014 as the tire, releasing the rubber during the race, fumes, etc.!

(History)
before i say my opinion i want you folks to know that i returned to the f1 games from Cm during the release of f1 2013, i had f1 2011, i bought it for 4 pounds second hand and i loved it, 2012 was not really interesting because i did not have offline multiplayer which was the main reason for buying a racing game, 2013 had many improvements ( at least that was my feeling) in terms of driving, realism, competition, and difficulty, honestly 2013 nearly caused me to destroy my controllers :PP i also liked the idea of career mode, (comming from the bottom now we here) the classical content was also interesting although it was an unfinished idea in my opinion. either you have everything in order to simulate an 1970 championship or you dont give us nothing.
(Critic)
2014 was even better, but with 2014 i also started to realise the flaws of this franchise, scripted tyre wear, scripted A,I behaviour etc. owww and defo 2014 was not worth full price. i think CM is doing a great job and i understand that licensing can be a b****h (Sorry), but online servers where bad overall, (unacceptable) same bugs in 2013, 2014, (unnacceptable), what i desire most is the return of offline multiplayer championships,  and more support towards the community. but i also desire the community to become more understandable,  i remember in 2014 people complaint about the martini logo on the william cars, f1 is more like FIFA rather than the GT franshise,  year after year things like tracks will remain the same so we cant really complain about tracks are getting boring, i doubt we would like it if they would give us some fantasy tracks (unless they would give us a track editor :wink:  ) no doubt that codemasters has become stale in terms of innovating within a stale championship but honestly i prefer a cm f1 game rather than an EA sports f1 game, who ever was a gamer during the ps1 era will remember what i mean.

I dont think there will be much of a market for F1 2015.  And, just like this year, dont expect it to have any patch support. save your money.

Niblips, honestly i dont think that CM will neglect f1 2015 as they did with previous titles. and this based on how much they emphasized on not caring about f1 2014 just to work on 2015, not a strong argument i know it is just a feeling. might be fooled but i quess we will se when they finally release the game, or at least announce the game and start to advertizing the game a bit so that we can see gameplay footage, and the praizing of new included mechanics.