Thanks for the Monte Carlo Rally stage(s) CM

Monte Carlo was my least favorite stage in DR1, Germany being second to last.  I thought the tarmac driving felt weird and actively avoided playing these.  However now that Monte Carlo has been re-released in DR2, I actually voluntarily spent all of last night playing on it in freeplay.  The tarmac and ice are fantastic now.  Very nice, very fun.  And since I played it so rarely in DR1, it's about the newest feeling old track I could get.  Looking forward to revisiting Germany at this point, should be very interesting. 

• Like 5

Wow, this is a whole new experience!! I binned it on the daily because I’m not use to it being this slippy! But after a few time trials I’m getting the hang of it. I’ve never watched the road so much as now in MC!😬 Every ice patch changes your braking point and entry to a corner, VERY technical!

Big 👍!!

• Like 3
  • Agree 5

Had to post to say how much im enjoying the Monte Carlo stages, I liked them in DR but in this game I love them! The constant fighting with the drift of the car to find grip, Gliding along the ice and the snow all feels amazing! Top job Codies 👍

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

Posted (edited)

This afternoon I've run some quick test drives in Monte with the Delta Integrale and the 208 R5.

What a challenge! A really big improvement on the original DR1 Monte. Surface conditions and grip are very different now even within a single stage. Ice patches are really dangerous now, requires caution. 

Until today Argentina was the hardest location in DR 2.0 but Monte Carlo is two times more difficult. 

Now it's time to set up my fav cars for Monte. What's the good setup for the diffs here? I try to reduce corner entry understeer but don't want to make the car too nerveous and twitchy. Low decel. lock and medium preload maybe?

Edited by redriot77
  • Agree 1

I would like to thanks Codemasters for making all stage long TV coverage tsyle replay cameras for Monte Carlo tracks.
Great job.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Monte is seriously intense! I just finished the Monte Weekly and though I’m currently 15th I’m 2 1/2 minutes behind the leader?!! On the dryer stages I was usually within 10 seconds but the snow ones I was losing time! How anyone is finding more traction is beyond me! Kudos to those can crack the top 10!👍😬

Is it me but when you go from tarmac to ice or snow it's like the traction control gets switched on? And you go slower.

Actually if i stop being a lightweight and use a manual box its great (albeit very challenging). Auto box just wants to change up as quick as poss in the snow.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Maybe they could make a no ice version for dry surface and keep the ice version as wet surface.

But the full ice parts in the top probably would need a complete remake because I don't think there's tarmac underneath the ice there in the game. Could be cool though if it was really low quality tarmac with holes because of it being under ice most the time.

Edited by chukonu
  • Confused 1
  • Agree 2

On 3/26/2019 at 8:43 AM, magpieracer48 said:

Couldn't disagree more with this post. You obviously haven't played Monte and have a chip on your shoulder. This is a very good game and this is a very good addition that for non pass holders costs a mere 3 quid. 3 quid for the amount of work that has gone into upgrading this route is a bargain.

I have supported Codies for years and have bought many of their games  (and thoroughly enjoyed most of them). In fact, DR1 is probably my favourite racing title of all time. So, ease up a little. I can (just like the other few hundred on this forum, Reddit, Steam etc.), express my displeasure if I so choose. I didn’t do it rudely, or lambaste Codies in any manner. The price is not the issue, and no I don’t have a chip on my shoulder. There are plenty of folks who have expressed sentiments akin, or far worse for that matter...and I have contended on multiple occasions in other threads that this game has the ‘bones’ to be a phenomenal title once the issues are remedied. All that said, I feel the game was released in a state that warranted more dev time to ensure all the issues were fleshed out...sorry if you disagree, to each their own 😉

Posted (edited)

+1 from me on how nice Monte is, really enjoying it, both the road feel on ice and the updated scenery. Also, the combination with the RGT class is a LOT of fun.

However, it further emphasises the need for more time of day options please; there's only one weather option for daytime and only one for dusk - please give us more options during daytime - would love to see these stages in early morning light.

Edited by RodgerDavies

Had my first crack at Monte last night and whoever changed the grip model from DR1 to DR2 is an absolute genius!

I finished about 3 mins off the Pace on the weekly but it was so much fun!

• Like 1

+1 I'm really enjoying the new Monte Carlo, very nice work, thanks Codemasters!

The feel of the grip changing through the wheel on the icy bits is very well done and the lighting and general presentation of the stages is a definite improvement over DR1.

BTW I'm enjoying the Citroen C4 Rally as well, and looking forward to the release of the Sweden Rally! 

I could not agree more!

I finally had the chance to have a go on the Monte Carlo stages, my first go since downloading it on Tuesday- One does not simply rally. One must prepare...

Actually, I had to wait for the missus to have a night out- offering her my credit card as an incentive- before I could devote a decent amount of time to setups etc because otherwise she will get in the way by showing me affection and love...Pah, I don't need that- especially when I am heading into a tight 4 right on a narrow icy road towards the end of a very fast section. No thanks, love. Leave me to it please... I bet Loeb didn't have to put up with that rubbish.

I digress...

The change in the stages between DR1 and DR2.0 is indescribable, but, ever the one to test my vocabulary, I will give it a go.

My first stage went like this...

'Ok, let's do this.... Oh, this is pretty.... Whoops, that was a bit tighter than I thought.... Wow, I just nailed that corner.... My God, I am rocking this stage.... Ice, bugger.... What? Where did my grip go?... Eeeek....Aghhhh... That was close.....Oh....Ha ha! Yes!..... I am gonna win this one.... Agh! Bugger! (Headbutted the outside wall on a narrow road. Now attempting an Austin Powers multi point turn around)... Wait, I was that close to finish line. For **** sake'.

Compare that to the DR1 version...

'Oh. So when did I start driving on this ice?'

So, what you may have learned from the above is that this event builds you up just to knock you down. As I consider myself a little on the masochistic side, I love it. The changes to the physics of the game coupled with the more immersive grip conditions and conducive to a much more immersive experience. This DLC is well worth the price tag... and that includes the bar bill I woke upto this morning.

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

I have a dream that base game is come kind rally school and dlc will be the true challenging content

2 minutes ago, tea3k said:

I have a dream that base game is come kind rally school and dlc will be the true challenging content

Not quite as eloquent as Martin Luther King but I get what you mean.

• Haha 4

I took a drive at the Monte now as well. It really is awesome. I even think it´s somewhat easier to drive because I feel I have way more control over the car.

If all the future Rally locations have this kind of quality-makeover: Keep ´em coming !

• Agree 2