Wheelspin Gearing in Auto?

Hi 

There seems to be a problem with the Automatic Transmission in Monte Carlo. When spinning your wheels trying to get traction on the snow the auto transmission will start changing up through the gears like crazy, also when entering a corner on the snow the auto transmission doesn't want to change down, what's that all about? This is also a problem when hitting a patch of snow further down the stage, where the Auto Transmission will suddenly chang up for no reason. It seems like the Auto Gears want to change gears when the car is spinning its wheels resulting in the car being in the wrong gear all the time on snow.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, TheNorwegianPhantom said:

Hi 

There seems to be a problem with the Automatic Transmission in Monte Carlo. When spinning your wheels trying to get traction on the snow the auto transmission will start changing up through the gears like crazy, also when entering a corner on the snow the auto transmission doesn't want to change down, what's that all about? This is also a problem when hitting a patch of snow further down the stage, where the Auto Transmission will suddenly chang up for no reason. It seems like the Auto Gears want to change gears when the car is spinning its wheels resulting in the car being in the wrong gear all the time on snow.

Sounds like it's doing what a real car would do. If the tires are spinning the car thinks it's going faster and therefore needs to change up a gear.

yes, but it's not a real automatic gearbox is it. it's a Manual Gearbox and you tell the game to change the gears for you, that's what automatic transmission means in a game. 

Even if that's the case the wheels are spinning so the car still thinks it needs to change up a gear. My advice is just go lighter on the throttle so the wheels aren't spinning as much and it should stay in a lower gear.

problem is tho if you want to drift on the snow to get around corners more efficiently, you need to spin your wheels to create traction on the snow, it's not a problem with how I drive. in real life you would stay in a low gear while cornering, and only change up when you are leaving or have left the corner. also, the fact that the auto box changes gears when you hit a patch of snow or ice will throw off the balance of the car in an unnatural way, and in worst case throw you into the wall.

• Agree 1

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Rigle said:

Sounds like it's doing what a real car would do. If the tires are spinning the car thinks it's going faster and therefore needs to change up a gear.

EDIT! My post was a massive brain fart.

check bn880's post below.

Edited by Murikka
  • Agree 1
  • Disagree 1

3 hours ago, TheNorwegianPhantom said:

Hi 

That's the point I was trying to make in a post from yesterday but you did it so much better.

The problem can be sorted by using a manual box but you can still spin the wheels and drift on wet gravel with the auto box so it seems it could be a bug on Monte maybe?

• Agree 1

yea I would say it a bug. it might relate to the way Codemasters program the gear changing in the Auto box (I'm not a programmer, so I can't tell how exactly it works.) but oddly enough it doesn't change the gear ratio of the transmission when the wheels are spinning. it only reacts like this on Snow/Ice as far as I know (Monte Carlo is the only example of this type of surface so far.) the auto box seems to behave normally on all other types of surfaces, staying in gear until the car is actually moving forward. I do hope somebody at Codemasters sees this, as the random gearing makes the already challenging task of racing on snow, or under constantly changing grip levels needlessly complicated.

Of course, I know I can swap to the Manual Gearbox, but I'm currently using a PS4 controller which doesn't make it intuitive to be changing gears. For that reason, I prefer to use the Auto box.

I'd need to see a video of exactly what you mean, most importantly including your inputs, but it sounds like it's acting reasonably correct. My guess is that it does so specifically on Monte and not the others because of how quickly the wheels go from minimal spin to full spin compared to something like NZ.

Side note - you should totally just be running manual sequential instead 😉 I think it's safe to say everyone who has a dozen hours in this game know the sound of the shift points almost perfectly, you just need to train yourself to hit the shift button/paddle when you hear it. Takes a day or so to get it beat into muscle memory but after that it will make you a much much much better driver.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Posted (edited)

Auto transmissions will upshift like this in real life.  It's a matter of RPM and load.  If you are at a high enough rpm and there isn't sufficient load there is nothing to tell the transmission (be it  hydraulic only or electronic) that it should NOT shift. So.. .there you have it.  IRL you have to install manual modifications to automatics or use them in manual mode (if available and without nanny) to do such things.

Edited by bn880
  • Agree 1

Funny thing is I always use manual gears in Forza 7 but have resisted it in Rally. Maybe cos the corners come thick and fast in Dirt. You ought to be able to use auto box though on ice.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, bn880 said:

Auto transmissions will upshift like this in real life.  It's a matter of RPM and load.  If you are at a high enough rpm and there isn't sufficient load there is nothing to tell the transmission (be it  hydraulic only or electronic) that it should NOT shift. So.. .there you have it.  IRL you have to install manual modifications to automatics or use them in manual mode (if available and without nanny) to do such things.

Yea you are right. My brain fart didn't quite come out as I meant it and I was thinking way too much how my own car with th350 works. It likes to keep it in low gear until you reach stupidly high rpm when in WOT. But it's built transmission with adjustable vacuum modulator and I keep the shiftpoint quite high. Still need to find the sweet spot as it sometimes keeps it in 1st when flooring it, untill I lift the throttle little bit. That ain't too fancy feature when you dont have rev limiter. :classic_laugh:

• Agree 2

Posted (edited)

I think I'll rest my case. Driving with a manual gearbox in Dirt Rally 2.0 turns out to be much more fun I thought it was. It will take some getting use to tho, I'm currently all over the place trying gear manually XD

Edited by TheNorwegianPhantom
  • Like 1

The main thing I find that takes time is that there's no gear indicator on the HUD for cockpit cam. There is for dash but I like to see the wheel. 

1 minute ago, cafe5150 said:

The main thing I find that takes time is that there's no gear indicator on the HUD for cockpit cam. There is for dash but I like to see the wheel. 

You can enable the tach/gear HUD for cockpit cam now, as of patch 1.2.

Posted (edited)

Odd. Just been on Col de Turini in the C4. Nowhere as stuggish as yesterday. No grip bug?

Not as bad with C4 but all the others have the issue.

Edited by cafe5150
  • Haha 1

Just shift when you hear it bouncing off the rev limiter haha. 

Or do what I do and have like 6 things telling you its time lol.0201191745.thumb.jpg.b8d9e63097122ae356d5e3673412749e.jpg

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, Rigle said:

Just shift when you hear it bouncing off the rev limiter haha. 

Or do what I do and have like 6 things telling you its time lol.0201191745.thumb.jpg.b8d9e63097122ae356d5e3673412749e.jpg

Pretty sure 2 steering wheels is cheating.

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

I noticed this when I was doing my first few runs through Monte stages with automatic gears before reverting back to manual. I kept dipping the clutch to stop it from doing it. 

19 hours ago, cafe5150 said:

Funny thing is I always use manual gears in Forza 7 but have resisted it in Rally. Maybe cos the corners come thick and fast in Dirt. You ought to be able to use auto box though on ice.

You should switch to manual, Once you have the hang of it you will wonder why you didnt switch sooner. 

• Agree 2

Tried Manual on driving games before with my xbox gamepad and it just annoys me, just a reason for me to use Automatic instead.

But yeah this is a issue that should be solved in my opinion, having to play Monte this way just takes the fun out of it rather quick to the point of just skipping Monte entirely.

Now I'm on manual transmission. Yes I should havd done it sooner cos its better, specially on Monte Carlo. More control and being able to hold a gear rather than getting bogged down. D'oh. (Manual on something like Forza 7 is obvious cos you know where the corners are.)

• Like 1

Something satisfying getting a snowy tight hairpin right. Nice.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1