AI Times Are Completely Off

I lost my faith on career mode when i set all sectors Green everywhere in Poland, then i was able to finish 23rd only over all!!!
How that is possible? nonsense.
Only occoured in Poland

• Disagree 2

In my opinion, and for what I saw in other forums, AI is totally out of reality. I’m a totally experienced rally player, I have tones of hundreds of hours playing rally games in my life, and of course, DiRT Rally is one of my favorites (and maybe the best one). I totally love DiRT Rally 2.0, they improved all areas, and Monte Carlo is spectacular. But I really don’t understand how AI times are so much unreal. I’m stuck in Elite level with the Skoda Fabia, setting times that almost always are out of the TOP 10 even doing a good job (going very fast with no errors). If what I have to do is totally memorize every stage to make a TOP 3 then this is not Rally, is another thing, but not Rally. This is not a racing circuit. For what I have seen, AI stage times sometimes are even better or closer to the world record times, those that of course, are made for people that repeat the same stage again and again just to set the fastest time as possible. But as I said, that is not rally.

Codemasters should adjust as soon as possible this issue, because stage times are totally out of reality. DiRT Rally was an incredible game with AI stage times well balanced, to be a great challenge. DiRT Rally 2.0 is even better in all aspects, but this horrible AI makes this game a lot less enjoyable.

Edited by CarlesWRC
  • Agree 3

38 minutes ago, RallyLover19 said:

I lost my faith on career mode when i set all sectors Green everywhere in Poland, then i was able to finish 23rd only over all!!!
How that is possible? nonsense.
Only occoured in Poland

This is normal since maybe you aren't the last runner of your class. What is not normal (in my opinion) is the times that AI is able to set. Stage times are not well balanced.

• Like 1
  • Agree 4

21 hours ago, CarlesWRC said:

This is normal since maybe you aren't the last runner of your class. What is not normal (in my opinion) is the times that AI is able to set. Stage times are not well balanced.

But it was occoured in Poland only. My times always set in the Top 1/3 of world rankings.

Mettet rallycross, seems that differs from other tracks what comes to AI.
With FIA RX if I set level to medium (61) I win everything else but at Mettet I don´t even get to semi-finals.

• Agree 2

56 minutes ago, RallyLover19 said:

But it was occoured in Poland only. My times always set in the Top 1/3 of world rankings.

In my opinion, Poland is the rally where AI is even more broken. I can set really fast stage times too if I practice with one stage until I memorize it. But even when I don’t know how is the stage I can set very fast stages too, always in the first quartile, for example. Clearly, AI does not work properly on this game, where AI set times only can be achieved if you know exactly how is the stage, and even with that, it’s still difficult (and unrealistic, in rally the driver never goes 110% flat out all the time).

Edited by CarlesWRC
  • Agree 2

2 minutes ago, CarlesWRC said:

In my opinion, Poland is the rally where AI is even more broken. I can set really fast stage times too if I practice with one stage until I memorize it. But even when I don’t know how is the stage I can set very fast stages too, always in the first quartile, for example. Clearly, AI does not work properly on this game, where AI set times that only can be achieved if you know exactly how is the stage, and even with that, it’s still difficult (and unrealistic, in rally the driver never goes 110% flat out all the time).

From what I have found is that there is a huge amount of time that can be gained or lost with setup changes. 

I had thought previously that I had a good setup, coming third most stages on Master. I did a few time trials and noted that I was way off the pace with global times.

It took and an evening to get a new setup sorted, but after doing so I started posting top 20 global times.

I used this setup in my career and, putting in 95% effort, I was winning stages regularly.  

My advice would be to experiment with the setup because in some peoples eyes, mine included, the AI is actually a little on the weak side. And by no means am I great player- I use a pad on ps4, not a full sim setup so I will never be all that fast.

Of course, this is my personal experience and thoughts, I am well aware that you may disagree with me here. But, hopefully, my advice might help you enjoy the game a little better. 🙂

3 minutes ago, Sammoo said:

From what I have found is that there is a huge amount of time that can be gained or lost with setup changes. 

I had thought previously that I had a good setup, coming third most stages on Master. I did a few time trials and noted that I was way off the pace with global times.

It took and an evening to get a new setup sorted, but after doing so I started posting top 20 global times.

I used this setup in my career and, putting in 95% effort, I was winning stages regularly.  

My advice would be to experiment with the setup because in some peoples eyes, mine included, the AI is actually a little on the weak side. And by no means am I great player- I use a pad on ps4, not a full sim setup so I will never be all that fast.

Of course, this is my personal experience and thoughts, I am well aware that you may disagree with me here. But, hopefully, my advice might help you enjoy the game a little better. 🙂

Thank you for your advice, I really appreciate it. The truth is that I just make minor adjustments in career mode in the Shakedown, just to set the car more in my driving style. But you are right, I should take a break and try to make a good setup for the car for every rally. Maybe with that I would have a better experience in Career mode. I play with a wheel, but like in a pad, car set up can make an important difference. Greetings! 🙂

6 minutes ago, CarlesWRC said:

Thank you for your advice, I really appreciate it. The truth is that I just make minor adjustments in career mode in the Shakedown, just to set the car more in my driving style. But you are right, I should take a break and try to make a good setup for the car for every rally. Maybe with that I would have a better experience in Career mode. I play with a wheel, but like in a pad, car set up can make an important difference. Greetings! 🙂

No worries. I hope it helps.

You should check out GTR technical on youtube, He has some brilliant setups. 

9 hours ago, RallyLover19 said:

I don't know... I've had this happen in every location where you are second (or whatever) the whole way, and then at the end there are three new drivers between you and first place. I think it's due to start order but am not sure.

The AI times in R2 ARE quite messed up,  Marynka. I can do a 4:15 with a few tiny errors in the dry, that's 11th world time. but that's not good for Masters Career AI, they do the same time in the wet, with full degradation:

Humans Dry no deg

1548459417_DirtRally2Screenshot2019_04.03-15_19_32_41.thumb.png.e22abadbc11443d20c17f81ba4d30911.png

AI Wet full deg back of field

460293120_DirtRally2Screenshot2019_04.03-15_32_07_26.thumb.png.f6d3ab5a0e9e7e16deaeb608aecc1ff4.png

Video of the Dry stage for reference

Edited by bn880
  • Agree 5

Yet in Spain the AI is considerably less competitive, this was the same in dirt rally 1 with Germany. It seems the ai behaves differently on tarmac compared to all other surfaces.

Someone once posted that the game engine can’t do AI properly hence why it is poor in both games. But I don’t know whether that is just speculation or whether there is actually some truth in it.

it’s certainly an odd trend and you’d think if it was an easy fix codies would have done something about it by now...

It's just going to be an algorithm with some inputs like Level, Class, Conditions, ideal time, etc.  Obviously the algorithm is a bit mis configured.

• Agree 1

Done my first 2 events in Elite and I've finished 21st and 22nd whilst setting the occasional top 10 time. 

Debating whether dropping down to Pro is a better choice on a credits gained vs time basis! 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, SquadBruce said:

Done my first 2 events in Elite and I've finished 21st and 22nd whilst setting the occasional top 10 time. 

Debating whether dropping down to Pro is a better choice on a credits gained vs time basis! 

I don't think there is a relegation system in DR2 to allow this.

1 minute ago, Sammoo said:

I don't think there is a relegation system in DR2 to allow this.

Oh balls..

Do bottom 3 not get dropped?

Looking at a lifetime of disappointment now 🤣

7 minutes ago, SquadBruce said:

Oh balls..

Not that I am aware of. I abandoned a championship after only progressing through a couple of stages- I hated the car I had chosen. I did not get relegated.

Advice for the elite is to concentrate on setups and do some time trails to learn the setup and car better. It will improve your times no end.

I finished 7th, 3th and 1st on the first three rallyes in Elite, so ‘I’m struggling a lot to do it better. If this is so difficult, I can’t imagine how difficult Masters can be. It’s too much. I’m driving the Skoda Fabia WRC.

18 minutes ago, CarlesWRC said:

I finished 7th, 3th and 1st on the first three rallyes in Elite, so ‘I’m struggling a lot to do it better. If this is so difficult, I can’t imagine how difficult Masters can be. It’s too much. I’m driving the Skoda Fabia WRC.

It's certainly an eye opener when you get to masters, I actually fell out of my chair after my first stage; finishing a horrendous 25th.

Keep at it though, mate. With practise comes speed- I never thought I would beat Master, as I struggled with it on DR1, but miracles do happen as evident by my success. 

I keep banging on about it but setups are the key. The top players beat the AI on base setups- I have no idea how!- but speed comes with a good setup. Personally, I concentrate on a setup that makes the car easy to drive, prioritising that over speed.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, bn880 said:

AI, they do the same time in the wet, with full degradation:

Ai don't care about physics, weather, track degradation.
Good racing game... almost sim. 😄

• Agree 1
  • Disagree 1

5 hours ago, SquadBruce said:

Oh balls..

Yes you will get dropped eventually if you keep finishing at the bottom or Abandon a championship a few times.

I'm kind of hoping CM will fix the AI times, it's a bit scary in the R2's on some events.

• Agree 1

So I need to chime in here about the AI times specifically about the 2000cc class (C4). I’m currently in Masters and I have raced Spain, Aussie, NZ, Monte and Argentina and though I didn’t’ win, I’m close! So with a bit of practice I can see me having a chance to win.

But Poland! Codemasters are you kidding me!? After 4 stages of pushing as hard as I can without risking a serious crash I was down nearly a minute! I’m at times losing 3-5 seconds a split! I’m convinced that there are splits where the times are literally not possible to achieve! Also, there are stages where the sun is in your eyes nearly the entire time (even though the start time was 1615 hours in Poland in the summer?!?) and I don’t believe they adjusted the times at all to reflect this.

There seems to be a rash of problems with AI as this thread clearly suggests so I’m hoping it creates change. If codemasters does not adjust this I will continue to do what I did today, I kept abandoning the championship until Poland was not included. Problem solved but not one I wish to continue because I love the Polish stages!

Just curious though, has anyone here won in Poland (2000cc class, Masters level)? If so, by how much or after how many attempts? Maybe it is just me if a whole slew of people have beaten it...😬

• Agree 2

Poland in general the AI seem super-fast.

Also a Poland specific bug is on the stage with the cobbles section, the AI gain massive amounts of time through that section. it's the same even in Historic championship with the AI difficulty set way down so it's not even specific to the career mode difficulty levels.

• Agree 1

Another example of crazy R2 AI times, this is Masters level.

masters AI dry, ~130th on the road  (degraded)

1617095294_DirtRally2Screenshot2019_04.07-10_11_36_26.thumb.png.01fefa62a727f078d96562d3260f895b.png

Humans, dry, ideal degradation

1128106074_DirtRally2Screenshot2019_04.07-10_37_05_38.thumb.png.b259c419473785318a4dea709743d88f.png

So they are beating the Human world record done in ideal conditions by 7 seconds in Australia.  And they do this with degradation, and worn tyres.

• Agree 4

Seems Codies want this game to be the Dark Souls of racing games infact even Dark Souls seems easy compared to this.

• Agree 1