AI Times Are Completely Off

Posted (edited)

I know this has been discussed before but yesterday I played more Career mode and I found something completely off. I hope you can see the attached photo. It is the end result of the New Zealand rally in "Clubman" tier. Yes, I'm the Hungarian dude in second place. But there is something absolutely incredible going on there if you look at the final times.

How come there is one AI that completes the rally (6 stages) 1 minute 20 seconds faster than any other AI cars? How can it be so much faster when it's only "Clubman" difficulty? I would agree I must be a noob if every AI was faster than me but you can see I completed the rally quite well, I beat all of them (I won 3 stages out of 6) but yet that one AI is ridiculously faster than all the others. Like that S. Bernard was from another tier completely. This is what makes Career mode so hard to enjoy. You go extremely well, in the green, you win stages but then the game decides that one AI is 1:20 faster than the rest, and 0:36 faster than you. How does the game simulate these times? And why does this happen at even the second difficulty level?

On a different note, I was playing in Free Play as well and it is ridiculous. I put the AI difficulty down to minimum (1/100)! When I drove the R5 VW Golf, I could win any stage with huge amounts of time, I mean even more than a minute. Obviously not a challenge. However, at the same difficulty I switched to the H2 FWD class (VW Golf) and I lost every stage, the AI was way too fast, even on the minimum difficulty setting. Something must be glitched in this game because there's no way there's so much difference in my driving between different classes. This makes the game completely unpredictable, random and very hard to enjoy.

DiRT Rally 2.0.png

Edited by dreampage
  • Agree 5

1 hour ago, dreampage said:

I know this has been discussed before but yesterday I played more Career mode and I found something completely off. I hope you can see the attached photo. It is the end result of the New Zealand rally in "Clubman" tier. Yes, I'm the Hungarian dude in second place. But there is something absolutely incredible going on there if you look at the final times.

How come there is one AI that completes the rally (6 stages) 1 minute 20 seconds faster than any other AI cars? How can it be so much faster when it's only "Clubman" difficulty? I would agree I must be a noob if every AI was faster than me but you can see I completed the rally quite well, I beat all of them (I won 3 stages out of 6) but yet that one AI is ridiculously faster than all the others. Like that S. Bernard was from another tier completely. This is what makes Career mode so hard to enjoy. You go extremely well, in the green, you win stages but then the game decides that one AI is 1:20 faster than the rest, and 0:36 faster than you. How does the game simulate these times? And why does this happen at even the second difficulty level?

On a different note, I was playing in Free Play as well and it is ridiculous. I put the AI difficulty down to minimum (1/100)! When I drove the R5 VW Golf, I could win any stage with huge amounts of time, I mean even more than a minute. Obviously not a challenge. However, at the same difficulty I switched to the H2 FWD class (VW Golf) and I lost every stage, the AI was way too fast, even on the minimum difficulty setting. Something must be glitched in this game because there's no way there's so much difference in my driving between different classes. This makes the game completely unpredictable, random and very hard to enjoy.

DiRT Rally 2.0.png

Have to admit i was struggling on Clubman last night although very tired. It seems to ramp up very aggressively compared to the first season. God only knows how the other seasons will be. 

Won the Pro division. Did my first elite in NZ and finished 22nd. Without any minor offs I might have scraped a top 10....

Got a lot of learning and setup changes to do!!

22 minutes ago, SquadBruce said:

Won the Pro division. Did my first elite in NZ and finished 22nd. Without any minor offs I might have scraped a top 10....

Got a lot of learning and setup changes to do!!

Congrats bud. I hit the same learning curve when jumping to master. I found myself dwelling in the mid table initially, then progressing to a steady lower top ten. I am finally winning now with the aid of some setups from a youtube channel called GTR technical. His advice is pretty good- I did have to make a few changes to adjust for my driving style and preferences, but if you want a good base to work from then you wont go far wrong with using his setups as a jumping off point. (I should add that I use his exact setup for NZ as it is spectacularly good for C4).

He does only have a few cars up atm but well worth a look.

• Agree 1

Cool I will check it out. I've just switched to running in car so think I've dropped a bit of pace compared to my old bonnet cam. Not sure if R5 is the way to go or not? 

Just now, SquadBruce said:

Cool I will check it out. I've just switched to running in car so think I've dropped a bit of pace compared to my old bonnet cam. Not sure if R5 is the way to go or not? 

I run in internal as well.

R5 cars are great fun. I like them and the 2000cc class the best.

The one bit of advice I will give is get plenty of practise in the R5's before you buy one and make sure you are comfortable with the view out of the cars- I found the Citroen pretty restrictive, as well as the pug. I ended up choosing the pug, despite the restrictive view, because it suited my driving style the best and has a very clear view of the gear indicator, which is essential in my opinion. But, to my recollection, the only R5 GTR has setups for is the Mitsubishi.

You should check out the 'Whats the best R5 car?' thread as it has a good amount of info and opinions in there.

I've always been a bit of a Fabia fan so sat in that at the moment. I might try a few different classes to compare times against AI. Except H2 fwd 😂

1 hour ago, FLAW3D said:

Have to admit i was struggling on Clubman last night although very tired. It seems to ramp up very aggressively compared to the first season. God only knows how the other seasons will be. 

I don't really have a major problem with the field (as you can see from the times) but one AI car has an unrealistic time. It can't be so much faster than the rest while the whole field is more or less on the same level. This is what bugs me about this. Is it so different between classes? Maybe I should try a different car class which has more realistic AI times?

• Agree 1

8 minutes ago, SquadBruce said:

I've always been a bit of a Fabia fan so sat in that at the moment. I might try a few different classes to compare times against AI. Except H2 fwd 😂

Well it is a fab car...

Have you tried the 2000cc class yet?

Or the NR4 class. I love the Subaru.

Just now, Sammoo said:

Well it is a fab car...

Have you tried the 2000cc class yet?

Or the NR4 class. I love the Subaru.

Not tried either in Career but have outside of it.

I love the Subaru too even if other people I've played against think it handles like a bus. It must be a driving style thing!

2 minutes ago, dreampage said:

I don't really have a major problem with the field (as you can see from the times) but one AI car has an unrealistic time. It can't be so much faster than the rest while the whole field is more or less on the same level. This is what bugs me about this. Is it so different between classes? Maybe I should try a different car class which has more realistic AI times?

It could be that the winner was French...

Loeb and Ogier dominated in the lower levels...this game could be realistic in surprising details??

1 minute ago, Sammoo said:

It could be that the winner was French...

Loeb and Ogier dominated in the lower levels...this game could be realistic in surprising details??

I would call this many things but realistic. 🙂

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, SquadBruce said:

Not tried either in Career but have outside of it.

I love the Subaru too even if other people I've played against think it handles like a bus. It must be a driving style thing!

I think it is a very front endy car. It likes to understeer, so it suited me down to the ground.

Alot of people say that understeer is a rally drivers worst nightmare but I find it easier to handle and dial out when adjusting set ups. It gives me much more confidence in the car as I hate an overly loose rear end (Which is why I rarely eat curry). 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

25 minutes ago, dreampage said:

I would call this many things but realistic. 🙂

I dunno.

Rally mexico 2007 (I think), Loeb beat Gronholm to the win by almost a minute (Again, if I recall correctly).

Has Codemasters ever responded to these AI-"problems", especially the H2 FWD-Class (but many other discrapencies as well ) ? If these times are intentional, or if some classes are bugged, and if Codemasters has a plan to change anything regarding this ? 

I mean this topic came up early during the release-period. Some info regarding this would be hugely appreciated. I can only say that fair and especially plausible AI-Times are VERY important; but in my opinion there is a lack of both at the moment in the game.

• Agree 2

7 minutes ago, Civarello said:

Has Codemasters ever responded to these AI-"problems", especially the H2 FWD-Class (but many other discrapencies as well ) ? If these times are intentional, or if some classes are bugged, and if Codemasters has a plan to change anything regarding this ? 

I mean this topic came up early during the release-period. Some info regarding this would be hugely appreciated. I can only say that fair and especially plausible AI-Times are VERY important; but in my opinion there is a lack of both at the moment in the game.

Good question.

There have been a fair few bug reports about all aspects and, from what I have seen posted by codemasters, they are working through them in a prioritised manner. The last post before the patch dropped acknowledged alot of the bugs but not all. I would take this to mean that they have heard all that has been said/ hearing all that is being said and are trying to fix as quickly as possible. So not hearing anything at this point should not be much of a worry.

I would say to keep up the comments but also urge patience as I imagine they have a hell of a job right now and will get to the AI as per their priorities dictate. Easy for me to say, I know, but things will be sorted soon enough, I am sure.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Sammoo said:

I dunno.

Rally mexico 2007 (I think), Loeb beat Gronholm to the win by almost a minute (Again, if I recall correctly).

National Tarmac on Epynt a few weeks back and 1st place beat 2nd place by 2 minutes

1 hour ago, Sammoo said:

I think it is a very front endy car. It likes to understeer, so it suited me down to the ground.

Alot of people say that understeer is a rally drivers worst nightmare but I find it easier to handle and dial out when adjusting set ups. It gives me much more confidence in the car as I hate an overly loose rear end (Which is why I rarely eat curry). 

Always use the brakes to help with steering so understeer is fine with me too especially as you can pre empt it in the Scooby.

As for difficulty I have no problems with how difficult it is, just more consistency is required. It seems that Elite is my current level and I'm happy with that and don't want it to be made easier.

• Agree 1

Well, you should try completing the Career in Elite using R2 FWD class then... 😛 and make sure it rains a lot to top it off.  I feel like I am qualifying for the e sports championship or something doing that. lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Agree 1

Rain AI times need to be looked at for both rally & rallycross.

I'm doing a Career rallycross on elite atm. My last 2 events have been in heavy rain and the AI times have been hilarious.

The leaders in each qualifier (not in my heat) are avg. 7secs faster than my times. 

When those same AI appear in my heat they're avg. 5-7secs slower than my times.

Semi & final the margin is even bigger.

I love fighting so hard to grab an 11th or 12th qualifying spot on some tracks, but then it's really anti climactic when they're so slow when they're actually on the track with you in the semi & final.

• Agree 5

Good.. Im not going crazy! 
This needs some antention by the devs. I have stopped playing career because of it. 

Posted (edited)

I am resorting to restarting my wet stages until I can minimize the time loss in R2 FWD career.  It's really not a good experience as I am pretty hardcore (tm) and would prefer to do no restarts as I was able to do until I got into elite.   Frankly without restarts with these AI times especially in the wet, I'd probably struggle for 2 years to get into Masters. 😄

Edited by bn880

On 3/28/2019 at 5:09 AM, dreampage said:

it doesn't matter, since you only need to be top 3 to get to the next tier. I suspect it is done deliberately, so that if you want 1st, it's a real challenge, but then getting top 3 shouldn't be too ridiculous. 

can't speak on the Free play stuff - only done a couple of custom events and I've found that 40 is too easy for RX, but about right for Rally (did I mention I am bad at this game? I am quite bad). I tried the new Monte Carlo location with a few different classes (R5, R2, RGT, H1 FWD) at around 25-30 difficulty and they seemed well-balanced and too easy, (except RGT which is super hard for me because I play on keyboard). H2 FWD I have only used in community events so far.

On 3/28/2019 at 9:09 AM, dreampage said:

How come there is one AI that completes the rally (6 stages) 1 minute 20 seconds faster than any other AI cars? How can it be so much faster when it's only "Clubman" difficulty? I would agree I must be a noob if every AI was faster than me but you can see I completed the rally quite well, I beat all of them (I won 3 stages out of 6) but yet that one AI is ridiculously faster than all the others.

16 hours ago, ianism said:

I suspect it is done deliberately, so that if you want 1st, it's a real challenge, but then getting top 3 shouldn't be too ridiculous.

It was the same way in DiRT Rally. In DiRT Rally the top times were based on test drivers times, so I'm guessing they are this time as well. 1 driver is always running at what at first seems like an impossible pace, but is actually beatable once you've been playing for a while.

On 3/28/2019 at 5:09 AM, dreampage said:

How come there is one AI that completes the rally (6 stages) 1 minute 20 seconds faster than any other AI cars? How can it be so much faster when it's only "Clubman" difficulty? I would agree I must be a noob if every AI was faster than me but you can see I completed the rally quite well, I beat all of them (I won 3 stages out of 6) but yet that one AI is ridiculously faster than all the others. Like that S. Bernard was from another tier completely. This is what makes Career mode so hard to enjoy.

Oh, I think they did pretty well on that aspect; because often you're in lower levels up against "up and coming talent", and yeah they're fast but next season they usually are already in a higher level and not there to challenge you anymore.  This can happen in real life too where a driver is just so much better but he won't stay there long.