DiRTy Gossip about WRC8

played today, not bad. Alot better than i thought it would be and handles pretty well with the wheel. 

A different game when you want a break from DR 2.0, as it's own challenges and the practice section is immersive, couldn't get off it.

Played DR 2.0 after and found the wheel to be more intuitive, but when playing WRC 8 it does feel ok with lots of settings for the wheel and other parts of the game.

Give it a try i don't think you'll be disappointed. 

Although WRC 7 was terrible with the wheel, a huge leap coming to WRC 8.

https://www.gamingboulevard.com/2019/09/review-wrc-8/

• Agree 1

Wait, what's going on, I've got a cognitive dissonance. I read here on this forum that some true pro simracers were praising this game's improvements in handling model and now I read that it's rubbish. Reviews on metacritic say that it's not on par with DR2.0, but still good. Where is the truth?

14 minutes ago, watzcoc said:

This guy openly admits that he doesn't like racing games and doesn't know much about racing, then proceeds to write the review. Wonderful.

Edited by danielofifi
  • Haha 2

Well I've played it on the Xbox One with a controller. And those physics and graphics are not going to improve with a wheel 😂

• Haha 1

some reviewers advise to adjust control settings, especially dead zone, then is much better. 

Edited by Bosthian

Well...I had preordered a few weeks back and then cancelled.

Thank goodness.

The frame rate at 30 was enough to turn me off - the rest of the noted inadequacies just cemented my decision... 

Enough is enough with Kylotonn then - WRC ought to give the licence to CM, and let them knock it out of the park on next Gen consoles with the release of DR3.0

• Agree 1

This guy drives well, I think the game looks like it will be really fun to drive with a wheel. Keen to see some footage with the classic cars!

First impressioons by this guy are good

Edited by Rygar86
  • Agree 1

Man so disappointed to hear some reviews. I really wanted to buy it, but will not untill I can try it myself.
I read many praising the visuals before an now they are supposed to be ****?? What happened???

Eurogamer gave it recommended. And I value their reviews. 

However maybe it's good to wait for first sale. 

Did Eurogamer review the PC or console version? 

I can't speak to the PC version, but can say without qualm the Xbox version is D-grade junk. 

• Haha 2

14 hours ago, Buckwilder said:

Enough is enough with Kylotonn then - WRC ought to give the licence to CM, and let them knock it out of the park on next Gen consoles with the release of DR3.0

ha, I said this back in April (on these forums) and people downvoted the poop out of my post. glad to see someone agrees.

My main disappointment is now Kylotonn have been snapped up by Bigben they didn't (or don't appear to have) take advantage of the extra resources available to them to create a better game. Milestone sit within Bigben and with the likes of Ride, Motogp and the hopelessly underrated Gravel in their portfolio, not only does it clearly show how far they've come since the original WRC's, it also demonstrates their ability to create a solid game with limited resources. You can say what you like about Milestone but i've yet to play one of their games that I truly dislike.

Milestone's Sebastien Loeb was better than any of Kylotonn's efforts, this year's included. It hadn't been refined enough for a gamepad the way DR2.0 has been, but by all accounts it was very good with a wheel. 

But overall, I think we are simply lucky to have Codemasters in its current in(car)nation. The right individuals like Paul Coleman, Ross Gowing, Mike Robson and all the others, got there with a very high standard in mind. 

Despite having no official backing, they have blown everything else out of the water. WRC 8 has made me appreciate DR 2.0 like never before. 

Milestone are able to produce a very good game from time to time (SLRE, Gravel), but their games are usually "raw", in a bad sense. They lack the passion that's clearly visible in Codemasters' products. And Kylotonn disappointed me very much, I had such high hopes for this team after the promising WRC7.

• Like 1

Gravel was fun (plus it had like 9 RX tracks, most of which had never been in a game until DR2 came out - and some aren't in the WRX calendar any more so they're not in DR2 either), but I was done with it after 2 weeks. it's a low- to mid-range title.

I'd say the WRC games are in the mid-range and then the Dirt series is mid- to high- in terms of quality and apparent effort. 

ultimately, these are all small to medium-sized teams of developers. they're probably not ever going to compete with the likes of Forza, but they're not trying to either.

2 hours ago, ianism said:

ha, I said this back in April (on these forums) and people downvoted the poop out of my post. glad to see someone agrees.

Yeah would be cool. That said, it would remove some of the creative liberties that CM enjoys and hold them hostage to WRC licensing etc. Maybe we leave well enough alone? 🤔

Edited by Buckwilder
  • Agree 1

well i guess ill wait for a review on wheel .............................btw where to buy PC version ? Cant find it ?

The discussion here involves a lot of criticism of WRC 8 and Kylotonn, but it's not clear to me whether it's coming from people who have actually played the game, except Jake. So... who has actually played the game so far? PC or console? Wheel or gamepad? What are your thoughts?

So far I find that the reviews are not very informative, except the one from Eurogamer (they played it on Xbox One, with a wheel). 

And by the way, here in Canada the game release is Sept 10 on PS4. Where did people buy it?

It's actually a really immersive experience, I too was worried about the handling but once I started playing and tweaked the wheel settings the game is really good. All cars handle great and there is no input lag or issues graphically on Xbox one x. 

Go and get it, you will be pleasantly surprised. A huge improvement over wrc 7 and other past iterations. 

• Like 1

My main concern is that it has to be nothing like WRC 7 as far as physics / feeback.....................that was unplayable after Dirt 

1 hour ago, Madhun1967 said:

My main concern is that it has to be nothing like WRC 7 as far as physics / feeback.....................that was unplayable after Dirt 

WRC 8 is totally different in handling

From that Eurogamer review 

"There's beauty, then, but not quite the performance as some of its peers, with it failing to hit 60fps as smoothly as Dirt Rally 2.0. That means an obvious knock-on effect with the feel of the thing - though it's not as if it ever feels bad." 

😂😂😂 The game fails to ever hit 31 fps, let alone 60. 

Trust that review at your peril! 

Edited by Jake Cushing