DiRTy Gossip about WRC8

Anybody else having the game stutter, freeze and then shut down their Xbox One X? Doesn't happen with any other game. 

Yes, sometimes it's feels like a boat :), however career is good (not like in Dirt, where is boring) and stages (most of them) are good, they don't feel like being generated by computer like in Dirt. Being able to drive the newest WRC cars is also something worth trying... driving all old versions of Subaru and Focus in Dirt is getting also bit boring. 

So overall, both games have + and -, however both are good.  

• Agree 1

i test wrc 8 today with controler   i no listen bad pace note  , but the square turn is announced late  ( i put the co driver timing  note in very early  ) 

-tss handbrake not work  for ps4 ( sequential and handbrake mode ) 

- the hairpin and square announced very late , 

- and AI is for for player play  with low rotation 

i wait update for this 3 problem 

OK OK OK!

I've come back to it, and spent time tweaking the input settings. I will now confess it's not as bad on tarmac as I had found initially. The test area is quite enjoyable and there is some fun to be had with this game, potentially. I'll try gravel again as well. What I can't find excusable though is the level of pop-in, given I'm on the Xbox One X, and the frame rate is so poor.

But willing to give it another go, and happy to eat humble pie and admit I was wrong. First impressions were definitely poor, and they did not refine their gamepad inputs they way Codies have done. And it is clear to me, this game is not going to dethrone DR2.0 in the core driving experience.

But if it's better than I thought, I will admit it.

Back to it I go.

Edit: Final thoughts, it's better than I stated earlier. Definitely playable and fun. Tarmac is actually not half bad at all, perhaps better than DR2.0 in some ways. But overall, on the Xbox One X, the frame rate severely hold this game back. Had they achieved 60fps, they would have been a contender. And on top of this, the physics are not as strong as DR2.0, which remains more playable, more fluid, responsive and enjoyable, and more impressive in the replays, than WRC 8.

So, I eat humble pie, I was wrong with my first impressions.

Edited by Jake Cushing
  • Agree 1

Well my copy arrived over the weekend and i've spent some time with it today. First impressions are whilst it's nowhere near as tragic as Jake initially suggested it's also nowhere near as epic as a lot of reviews are suggesting. Visuals are much improved over 7 but that's not saying they're good (because they're not), that's just saying that Kylotonn have set such low standards with previous WRC's it would have been impossible not to improve upon them. Controller handling was a bit of a struggle which after much tweaking did improve massively, but the wheel is another story and tweaks are still ongoing.

Car physics are still awful with cars wildly bouncing all over the place and performing bizarre stunts the second you drift off the beaten path onto rugged or uneven surfaces and I also found that the auto respawn frequently placed you back on track without giving an opportunity to recover from occasionally recoverable situations.

On a positive note locations and diversity are once again WRC's strong point but it wasn't too long before I was seeing familiar scenery and/or identical locations hidden behind different weather conditions/times of day and the new 'dynamic' weather system does look pretty decent, so even though you do spend a lot of time travelling over the same locations the game does create a different feel quite well.

The key (and still unresolved) issue is that of longevity and the desire to want to continue playing after career completion because the community aspect of WRC8 is still very poor and perhaps suggests, like previous games, Kylotonn are just targeting casual gamers with a 'throwaway' approach to things. Multiplayer is also a bit of a graveyard but from my experience of previous (XB1) WRC's that's not an unusual thing.

But all in all the game seems to do what it is set out to do pretty well and I can see the appeal to those who want to just pick up and play WRC8. It's not a great game (will it ever be a great game) and most definately isn't a direct replacement for Dirt Rally 2 but a lot will prefer it because it doesn't insist on the same levels of patience and practice of Dirt Rally. After all, such is the forgiving nature of WRC8, it's more than possible to win a rally without ever repairing or tuning your car...

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, _BorisTheFrog_ said:

After all, such is the forgiving nature of WRC8, it's more than possible to win a rally without ever repairing or tuning your car...

Wow, you're winning rallies already with Realistic Difficulty, Realistic Damage and Perma-death mode enabled? I am barely competitive on Hard difficulty. 

54 minutes ago, Pfei said:

Wow, you're winning rallies already with Realistic Difficulty, Realistic Damage and Perma-death mode enabled? I am barely competitive on Hard difficulty. 

Haha, no. I was just pointing out that casual gamers have been given the ability to completely dumb down settings in order to make career progression as easy as is humanly possible. It just highlights the difference between WRC and DR2 and probably explains why casual gamers prefer the easier game.

Perma death in a rally game? What on earth is this madness?

Edited by danielofifi

4 hours ago, danielofifi said:

Perma death in a rally game? What on earth is this madness?

Sorry, it's actually called Perma crash. No restarts. 

• Thanks 1

to be honest i cant stop playing wrc8, did quick try Greece and liveries on DR2.0 , but did come back to WRC8, i like the new feeling of unseen tracks, that look so incredible

• Like 1

On 9/9/2019 at 1:02 PM, gk9147 said:

-tss handbrake not work  for ps4 ( sequential and handbrake mode ) 

same for xbox, patch this week i believe

• Like 1

3 hours ago, dani211212 said:

to be honest i cant stop playing wrc8, did quick try Greece and liveries on DR2.0 , but did come back to WRC8, i like the new feeling of unseen tracks, that look so incredible

it is addictive, had a quick go on training earlier.

ignore what Jake says he's a bit of a troll

• Agree 4

I finally received the game, playing it on standard PS4. My impressions after 2-3 hours of play:

PROS

- On my plain vanilla PS4, the graphics are way better than DR2. Maybe it's different on other platforms but on my machine, DR2 often looked blurry.

- The ambiance is very addictive, things like roadside crowd noise, helicopter above, etc. Better immersion generally.

- It's a more complete game altogether: training, split screen play, a proper career mode (though I have barely had time to look at it so far)

- The weather effects are great

CONS

- I still have not been able to find the great driving feel of DR2. It's not bad to any degree, but it's different, and generally I have preferred DR2 so far.

- I find that the cars tend to fly off much easier than in DR2 when you start touching the side of the track (is that what some call the "Apollo effect"?). Kind of annoying.

- The better graphics come at the price of lower framerate. I found it bothering for the first 15 minutes, not anymore.

STILL TO BE DECIDED

- Difficulty: it's a more inviting game for beginners, if only because of the training tracks. But so far I haven't found it easier than DR2, though maybe that's because I haven't properly set my T300 yet.

- Probably a lot more...

What is certain is that I do not find it obviously worse (or better) than DR. I'd say that WRC 8 is a great thing for rally games: competition will push CM to do craft an even better DR3, and maybe get them to fix the annoyances of DR2 faster (hello crazy AI times in some classes...)

• Like 1

13 hours ago, watzcoc said:

it is addictive, had a quick go on training earlier.

ignore what Jake says he's a bit of a troll

It's only addictive through the novelty period and once you've put in 10-15 hours (as I now have) the enthusiasm to want to complete more than one rally at a time isn't really there. Interesting how nobody has spotted the same glaring oversight with the AI difficuly that was present in WRC7... It's not game breaking but it can be pretty annoying.

Answers on a postcard 🙂

On 9/10/2019 at 11:06 AM, Pfei said:

Sorry, it's actually called Perma crash. No restarts. 

I've been continuing to make videos of every rally game on PC on YouTube. Xpand Rally had a driver injury system where you could (apparently) die, and you'd lose your saved profile if you did!

• Like 1

18 hours ago, VirtuaIceMan said:

I've been continuing to make videos of every rally game on PC on YouTube. Xpand Rally had a driver injury system where you could (apparently) die, and you'd lose your saved profile if you did!

Nice, I like that.

So guys, how is damage in WRC8? Do you have to drive carefully? Is it easy to get a terminal crash?

On 9/11/2019 at 9:52 AM, _BorisTheFrog_ said:

It's only addictive through the novelty period and once you've put in 10-15 hours (as I now have) the enthusiasm to want to complete more than one rally at a time isn't really there. Interesting how nobody has spotted the same glaring oversight with the AI difficuly that was present in WRC7... It's not game breaking but it can be pretty annoying.

Answers on a postcard 🙂

What is the AI problem you refer to? I’m finding it to be quite consistent and better than Dirt Rally 2 AI which seems all over the place depending on vehicle driven.

Has anyone reached the WRC in their career yet. I hope it has more stages per rally than the 4 that are in Junior and WRC2

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, Voidhawk said:

What is the AI problem you refer to? I’m finding it to be quite consistent and better than Dirt Rally 2 AI which seems all over the place depending on vehicle driven.

Has anyone reached the WRC in their career yet. I hope it has more stages per rally than the 4 that are in Junior and WRC2

WRC events have six stages, two of which are Epics. So you're looking at roughly half an hour per rally for the longer ones, and maybe 20-25' the shorter ones. 

No AI problems for me. A big challenge on Hard. Way beyond my ability on Authentic. Especially with Authentic damage and Perma crash. 

Edited by Pfei
AI info
  • Agree 1

36 minutes ago, Pfei said:

WRC events have six stages, two of which are Epics. So you're looking at roughly half an hour per rally for the longer ones, and maybe 20-25' the shorter ones. 

No AI problems for me. A big challenge on Hard. Way beyond my ability on Authentic. Especially with Authentic damage and Perma crash. 

Thanks for the info. I would have preferred 8 but can live with 6.

My only huge disappointment is the lack of custom championship, or even custom rally. I really hope they rectify this but I’m not sure they are as hot on after sale support as codies.

• Agree 1

tss handbrake work   and the tarmac is not the best but is better than DR 2.0 sorry for annoying sound  playseat sound  13:07 lancia 037 i choose part  with hairpin and square turn for testing slide , drift , and use handbrake 

On 9/13/2019 at 5:13 AM, MJV1973 said:

Is there support for HDR ?

Bought this one today and sadly there´s not HDR.
Compared to DR2 it´s graphically worse but most important thing, car handling/physics are pretty good.
If you don´t like arcade games you can buy this game, it´s more like DR2 than pure arcade.

edit:
Actually behaving of car is so weird that I sold game after playing it 6 hours, DiRT Rally 2.0 is still no:1 and I´ll continue with it.

Edited by MJV1973
  • Agree 1