DiRTy Gossip about WRC8

Sorry for my bad English: I have both games (Dirt Rally 2.0 and WRC 8 ) and loving both of them. The stages and weather effects are very good in WRC 8. At the framerate: i thought i was going to have a bad time with the framemate, but it is not effecting me. 60 fps would be better (like Dirt Rally 2.0), but the framerate is steady and graphics are good. Overall: a solid 9 out of 10 for me. Will continue too play both of them, but overall will put more hours into the WRC 8 career mode.

Edited by MrStef85
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2

On 9/8/2019 at 7:41 AM, Bosthian said:

Yes, sometimes it's feels like a boat :), however career is good (not like in Dirt, where is boring) and stages (most of them) are good, they don't feel like being generated by computer like in Dirt. Being able to drive the newest WRC cars is also something worth trying... driving all old versions of Subaru and Focus in Dirt is getting also bit boring. 

um, do you know that the stages (even the short ones) in WRC8 are sections of real roads stuck together, while the stages in Dirt Rally 2 are replicas of real roads?

Dirt 4 had procedural generation of stages. WRC 8 has fake stages. DR2 does not.

and you think that having the WRC class (4 vehicles) is better than having ALL 40+ historic cars, plus RGT in DR2? because the other classes in WRC 8 (R5 and R2) are in Dirt as well...

Edited by ianism

Well, i now play both wrc8 and Dirt 2. Both games have their have their plus and minus. So for me, good times as a rally fan. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 3

42 minutes ago, Hitmanvega said:

Well, i now play both wrc8 and Dirt 2. Both games have their have their plus and minus. So for me, good times as a rally fan. 

agreed, but i am swaying more to WRC 8 as i feel it's alot more in depth and intuitive. Going back to DR 2.0 does not feel strange, neither does going back to WRC 8.

• Agree 1

Does anybody have some good controller settings for WRC 8? Sometimes the default setup is a little bit twitchy when driving.

I'm still waiting to play it; CDkeys bumped the release date back to the 19th, I just checked and they've sent me a Steam key?! But the Steam version isn't released until Sep 2020!

Either I have a long time to wait or they've somehow got access to the Steam version early, I dunno. Am asking them, as they say it's an Epic Games Store key on their site...

So guys, how is damage in WRC8? Do you have to drive carefully? Is it easy to get a terminal crash?

cant attest to the extent of damage to cars that happen, but i can tell you that cars do some "funky" weird stuff on impact with certain objects.Not realistic i may say .

5 hours ago, danielofifi said:

So guys, how is damage in WRC8? Do you have to drive carefully? Is it easy to get a terminal crash?

Yes you have to drive carefully. Terminal damage or permacrash is a option in the game. Haven't tried it yet.

• Thanks 1

On 9/18/2019 at 10:47 AM, MrStef85 said:

Does anybody have some good controller settings for WRC 8? Sometimes the default setup is a little bit twitchy when driving.

I have increased the deadzone setting. It's a bit better now.

I would say damage is quite punishing on max settings. You can definitely notice the decrease in performance of your car through a rally, even just from driving hard without any crashes.

WRC 8 may not be perfect in damage but neither is DR 2.0. A step backwards actually I think. Really I don’t feel DR 2.0 damage is great compared to DR or even past games in the DIrt series. Cosmetic damage only seems to get a point and nothing further happens. No more ripping a tyre off and driving a stage on three wheels, hitting something and flipping 10 times in the air. Why can’t I destroy the car down to the roll cage. Also in DR you really had to manage the car if you had radiator damage, brakes etc. Seems the cars can take more damage in this area now. 

Edited by Kiwiazbro
Update text

6 hours ago, Kiwiazbro said:

WRC 8 may not be perfect in damage but neither is DR 2.0. A step backwards actually I think. Really I don’t feel DR 2.0 damage is great compared to DR or even past games in the DIrt series. Cosmetic damage only seems to get a point and nothing further happens. No more ripping a tyre off and driving a stage on three wheels, hitting something and flipping 10 times in the air. Why can’t I destroy the car down to the roll cage. Also in DR you really had to manage the car if you had radiator damage, brakes etc. Seems the cars can take more damage in this area now. 

I wouldn't agree. With hardcore damage on it's much easier to break the radiator or get a terminal damage in DR2 than in DR1. 

This game is so addictive, i cant stop playing.. especially the tarmack feel, it feels much better then DR 2.0!

for next years game, the wrc studio  said it will have more legendary cars, which is great addition to core of WRC game.

I do hope CM will continue to support DR 2.0 after season 4, (there are much more content that can be added) so we have two great games for us Rally Fans :)

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

I was trying my new G920 wheel on a fwe games last night and thought Dirt Rally 2.0 looks way more realistic than WRC 8, which looks a bit plasticky. Also the sharpen graphics filter always seems to be on, to some degree. I've still not got a wheel dialed in for V-Rally 4 or WRC 8 yet...

23 hours ago, dani211212 said:

This game is so addictive, i cant stop playing.. especially the tarmack feel, it feels much better then DR 2.0!

for next years game, the wrc studio  said it will have more legendary cars, which is great addition to core of WRC game.

I do hope CM will continue to support DR 2.0 after season 4, (there are much more content that can be added) so we have two great games for us Rally Fans 🙂

Have to agree in the tarmac physics. 

• Like 1

i aggre too for the  tarmac @dani211212    and where you have info for dlc in wrc 8 ?

Edited by gk9147

1 hour ago, gk9147 said:

i aggre too for the  tarmac @dani211212    and where you have info for dlc in wrc 8 ?

Sorry you did miss-read, (my bad, maybe did wrong put words, English is my 3th language) i did said 

"for next years game, the wrc studio said it will have more legendary cars, which is great addition to core of WRC game."

so that means for next game, as WRC9 

I did heard that from interview with devs, cant remember now, but when i find, i'll put link to that video.

• Like 2

One more question guys: how is the rwd handling? I love the Porsche in Dirt Rally 2. Is it any good in WRC8?

31 minutes ago, danielofifi said:

One more question guys: how is the rwd handling? I love the Porsche in Dirt Rally 2. Is it any good in WRC8?

honestly i test lancia 037 in wrc 8 and is possible to drift and slide on tarmac same than reality 

• Like 1

Okay, so I decided to support the market of rally games and bought the game to give it a chance. Here are my thoughts.

It's really good! It's now actually a competitor to Dirt Rally 2. Things that I really like in WRC8:

- career mode. This is what a career mode should look like in my opinion. I love the management bits, the training stages, everything about it is really, really immersive. 

- dynamic weather is awesome. Also, you can never be sure what the weather will be like on the stage. You can hire metorologists to boost the accuracy of your predictions, but there is always an element of chance, just like in reality.

- the game is HARD. Feeling confident after Dirt Rally 2 I went straight for the WRC2 category on hard difficulty and... well, suffice it to say my team account balance after four or so rallies was ~ 50 000 in debt, so Skoda cancelled my contract and I had to find a small Junior WRC team to start from scratch.

- it's easier to seriously damage your car on realistic settings than in DR2. You really have to be very careful because one mistake can cost you the whole rally. Repairs are costly and take much more time.

- vast sandbox-like training area

- stages: fast, long, diverse and crazy narrow

- tyre choice which seems to be meaningful

- really advanced tuning options.

- watersplashes and potholes filled with water can completely destabilize the car, you have to be extra cautious on uneven terrain.

- windshield gets dirty and you have to use wipers to clean it. Car lights are also much more effective than in Codemasters' product.

Things that I don't like are the graphics (not bad, but definitely worse than DR2.0), some small bugs and the fact that there is no manual driving to the marshall after the finish line. Also, the driver's hands movement is unnatural, so dashboard is the only viable camera option for me.

Now, for the most important aspect, which is the handling. It's hard to describe. Sometimes it feels really good, and I feel like I'm getting SLRE vibes. Especially tarmac handling is good, definitely better than DR2.0. This time you can even enjoy driving R2 cars, understeer and all. I expected much worse and I'm pleasantly surprised.

On the other hand, it takes A LOT of tweaking to get force feedback to feel right. And even then I find myself making adjustments from car class to car class, from rally to rally. Sometimes the car feels slightly sluggish or twitchy and I have to play around with settings to find the sweet spot again. Sometimes cars can be a little unpredictable. In Dirt Rally I feel more in control, so I can push harder with more confidence. Definitely something to get used to.

All in all it's a big improvement over WRC7 and a worthy competitor to DR2.  

• Agree 2

It's sad it has 30 FPS only on consoles because your feedback sounds very good.