DiRTy Gossip about WRC8

That looks really cool! Hope that the handling is as good as the visuals. When is the release? September or October?

15 hours ago, FLAW3D said:

Wow, So much atmosphere graphically. Kinda looks like a step up in gen compared to Dirt.  

Although it won't look anything like that on the consoles. And it'll be running at 30fps. 

• Disagree 1

2 hours ago, masa90 said:

That looks really cool! Hope that the handling is as good as the visuals. When is the release? September or October?

8 September

5 hours ago, masa90 said:

That looks really cool! Hope that the handling is as good as the visuals. 

hahahahaha, no.

these are straight arcade games. I like arcade games very much, but the handling model of the WRC games isn't even great for an arcade game, in my experience.

• Disagree 1

3 hours ago, Decks said:

Although it won't look anything like that on the consoles. And it'll be running at 30fps. 

60fps on the Pro & X or aiming for right now. 

10 hours ago, Jake Cushing said:

...all ruined by that unbelievably bad co-driver voicing.

Is it possible thats just a place holder right now? I hope so. 

pic29_lancaster_crew.jpg

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

cheeky that they released their gameplay footage of Wales just before it's about to drop for DR2.0 haha, wonder if it was intentional.

unfortunately i don't think it's a placeholder voice as it sounds like a different guy from WRC7. so the re-recorded the calls with a different guy and it still sounds pretty bad 🤯

at least the co-driver says the calls at a proper speed, unlike in DR2.0.

3 hours ago, FLAW3D said:

Is it possible thats just a place holder right now? I hope so. 

Unfortunately it’s very unlikely. The voice was bad in WRC 7 too – and the new one is already an improvement. 

On 7/12/2019 at 9:21 AM, Tranzitive said:

cheeky that they released their gameplay footage of Wales just before it's about to drop for DR2.0 haha, wonder if it was intentional.

agreed, it seems intentional. that's too much of a coincidence.

New TeamVVV gameplay at Wales Rally

• Thanks 1

Current word on the street from Rally Estonia was that the FFB in WRC8 absolutely destroys DR2.0 right now on TM wheels. That and they brought their surface physics up a ton and you can feel the differences when sliding from gravel -> sand and it feels amazing.

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

I wouldn't count too much on any 'word on the street' to be fair, but graphics look insane, the game looks amazing. Plus, triple screens always looks more immersive. Pretty sure the game is an improvement to the previous iteration, but watching the footage to me it's clear that it's no competition in terms of handling and physics. I can't see much chassis movement and weight transfer. It'll be fun, no doubt, but it's pretty hard to beat DR2.0 handling in my view.  

Edited by richie
  • Agree 1

Yeah looking at the way the wheel is moving there I'd be amazed if the FFB "destroys" DR2.0.

37 minutes ago, richie said:

graphics look insane

I dunno about that. The lighting looks kinda primitive, and the surface and trackside objects not very detailed.

The environments are well-designed and have quite a lot of variety, which is indeed a good thing, and possibly better than DR2 in that regard, but they don't really hold up to close inspection from what I've seen.

Posted (edited)

their FFB is junk and will be ..................cars handle like barges ,and in the visual feedback you can tell, that there is no "small" rattling bumps simulated, its all just "sweeping" undulating terrain elevations are mimicked .Besides that , no momentum and handbrake turns are like a joke.The lighting does look good and overall the graphics,though not as detailed as Dirt 2.0 look alright.

Sounds are also stone age,including riduciulous arcade  sounding codriver

Edited by Madhun1967

It is bit weird when people say handling is bad without even trying it.

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, caerphoto said:

I dunno about that. The lighting looks kinda primitive, and the surface and trackside objects not very detailed.

The environments are well-designed and have quite a lot of variety, which is indeed a good thing, and possibly better than DR2 in that regard, but they don't really hold up to close inspection from what I've seen.

Maybe 'insane' is a bit exaggerated and I must say I haven't had a closer look at all but from the footage I've seen so far I think it looks really nice. 

1 hour ago, richie said:

I wouldn't count too much on any 'word on the street' to be fair, but graphics look insane, the game looks amazing. Plus, triple screens always looks more immersive. Pretty sure the game is an improvement to the previous iteration, but watching the footage to me it's clear that it's no competition in terms of handling and physics. I can't see much chassis movement and weight transfer. It'll be fun, no doubt, but it's pretty hard to beat DR2.0 handling in my view.  

They had the WRC8 truck at Rally Estonia and they held a little tournament on a demo build with the fans + drivers. A few of them are in clubs and Discords I hang around in, and one of them made it to the finals to race with 3 RX/Rally pros. I'll trust their judgement when they tell me the FFB blew them away and completely did a 180° on what you'd expect from a WRC game.

With how much they talked it up, with as many hours as they have in DR1/2, I'll take them at their word when they say they are seriously excited for WRC8 and will be buying it day one.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

And I'll just reiterate what I said on the other discord too - this is not a bad thing! This is fantastic, it means we have more competition in the rally game world, which will make all future games better for everyone. 

• Agree 5

6 minutes ago, Mike Dee said:

They had the WRC8 truck at Rally Estonia and they held a little tournament on a demo build with the fans + drivers. A few of them are in clubs and Discords I hang around in, and one of them made it to the finals to race with 3 RX/Rally pros. I'll trust their judgement when they tell me the FFB blew them away and completely did a 180° on what you'd expect from a WRC game.

With how much they talked it up, with as many hours as they have in DR1/2, I'll take them at their word when they say they are seriously excited for WRC8 and will be buying it day one.

Kylotonn had to step up their game in terms of handling, physics and FFB. I remember when WRC6 was free to download on Xbox, I deinstalled it after a few minutes. As I said, no doubt people are excited about this game to be released and no doubt it'll be fun. If they succeed in creating more credible (surface) physics, we as customers can only benefit from it, but the videos are there to watch and re-watch, they're still miles away from DR2.0 imo. 

Their lighting at night looks superior to DR2.0.

As for the handling, who can tell? But if the game is less than 60fps on consoles like the last three, then forget about it, it's a non-starter.

At any rate, in keeping with that co-driver audio, it would be great to have a proper WW1 rally game sometime. This is what we all want, let's face it:

https://www.wired.com/2014/07/world-war-one-automobile/

Posted (edited)
37 minutes ago, richie said:

Kylotonn had to step up their game in terms of handling, physics and FFB. I remember when WRC6 was free to download on Xbox, I deinstalled it after a few minutes. As I said, no doubt people are excited about this game to be released and no doubt it'll be fun. If they succeed in creating more credible (surface) physics, we as customers can only benefit from it, but the videos are there to watch and re-watch, they're still miles away from DR2.0 imo. 

And you're correct there, they did fault the physics a bit but they weren't 100% sure if it was that or if they had put assists on for everyone. They also were forced to run the cars in semi-auto or automatic (assumed for quick accessibility for the 150+ players that weekend) so that definitely threw a few of them off. But one thing was very clear and that was that a lot of time was put into the FFB at least and that it was vastly improved from before. With one of the biggest gripes in DR2 at launch being FFB, it honestly doesn't surprise me at all if they put some extra resources in there to try and use that angle to "authenticate" their experience. 

The other word was that WRC8 is finally leaning more towards sim than arcade. Not full sim yet, but they are leaning into their licensing deal a lot harder and focusing on the sim crowd more this time around.

Edited by Mike Dee
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

ya, this looks like fun. we'll see about the handling. I sure as hell won't be buying it full price though.

I'm looking around for a cheap copy of WRC 7 now (for PS4), mostly because it's got splitscreen. I don't care if it looks like sheep butt - I just like that kind of stuff.