New WRC 8 Gameplay Video and Analysis

wrc 7 was pretty decent once you got the handling right and so were many of the stages. i like the narrow events which dirt game dont seem to want to do much yet often many of these events are the best to drive. the sound isnt great normally on wrc games also cars seem to bottom out a lot of stages bang bang which can be frustrating. will buy it as there isnt much rally games and new ones are always welcome.

• Agree 2

On 3/28/2019 at 2:52 PM, FLAW3D said:

Looks and sounds incredible. Here's hoping its actually good. FFB is sounding great already with still 6 months to perfect it. 

FFB and physics looks very arcade, like all WRC games.

• Haha 1
  • Disagree 1

17 hours ago, doyaneedthis said:

To be fair WRC7 was a very decent game and this looks even better, as far as i am concerned you can never have enough rally games.

Decent arcade game, physics are horrible - instant brakes, under steer and you can throttle 100 % - no rear sliding at all.

39 minutes ago, virgism said:

How can you tell how the FFB "looks"? The only thing to go on regarding FFB is how the Team VVV describe it surely?

• Agree 1

38 minutes ago, virgism said:

Decent arcade game, physics are horrible - instant brakes, under steer and you can throttle 100 % - no rear sliding at all.

Did you even watch the video? He clearly slides and spins at one point due to mashing the throttle.

• Agree 2

Don't get me wrong I loved pretty much all the wrc games. I take them for what they are. But its biggest let down is always the co drivers notes. Half of the games sound like you have a second co driver in the back seat who shouts BRAKE!! I hate that 😁 Personally I loved wrc 3 more than wrc 7. Thought wrc 7 physics where odd! Think this was their first wrc game on the unreal engine. Before that they had used in house engines. I maybe wrong but this definitely was the case for Moto Gp 19.

1 hour ago, madcowie said:

Don't get me wrong I loved pretty much all the wrc games. I take them for what they are. But its biggest let down is always the co drivers notes. Half of the games sound like you have a second co driver in the back seat who shouts BRAKE!! I hate that 😁 Personally I loved wrc 3 more than wrc 7. Thought wrc 7 physics where odd! Think this was their first wrc game on the unreal engine. Before that they had used in house engines. I maybe wrong but this definitely was the case for Moto Gp 19.

Kylotonn has always used Kt Engine in his WRC games (WRC 5, 6, 7 and this one)

i like the improvments over WRC7 its still not great, but its clearly better, what i like most, its wheather, and wind effect. the shaking of trees and flying leaf in camera direction..

and the location looks stunning too

4 hours ago, FLAW3D said:

Did you even watch the video? He clearly slides and spins at one point due to mashing the throttle.

Indeed he does, but the issue is that the car loses all forward momentum when you slide. 

• Agree 1

The weather is a nice effect but a bit unrealistic. I hope it scales and isn't just zero to Cyclone within 2 minutes in every single location.

I mean Germany, a summer rally, does not get hurricanes 2 minutes after a blue sky stage start.

• Agree 2

To be honest, I didn't see anything in WRC 7 that outshone Dirt Rally games. I am not an optimist that this time WRC 8 could make any remarkable difference from its predecessor. But as a fan, I will buy it just to show support.

• Agree 1

If WRC can get the physics and ffb right, its going to be a great game.  They are claiming to be overhauling both as well as the co-driver.  For me its a must buy.  Just look at the jump from WRC-6 to what we are seeing as an alpha in WRC-8. The stages we've got to see look incredible. Instead of bashing these games guys, its more like what a great time to be alive that we will have hopefully more than one awesome rally game. I wish DR2.0 had some form of modern top tier rally car, but they dont. Heck we cant even get the 2010 class from DR1.  WRC is going to have what 14-15 locations with 100 stages?  And they are going to have historical cars in the game as well.  Not bashing codies here, but they better get the issues sorted because it looks like a worthy opponent is finally showing up. Heck their rain effects already look better than the glaucoma ridden rain in dr.  I like how they dont have the rain drops on the screen like a mid 90s sega genesis game. 

• Agree 4

Posted (edited)

4 hours ago, wfwr26 said:

If WRC can get the physics and ffb right, its going to be a great game.  They are claiming to be overhauling both as well as the co-driver.  For me its a must buy.  Just look at the jump from WRC-6 to what we are seeing as an alpha in WRC-8. The stages we've got to see look incredible. Instead of bashing these games guys, its more like what a great time to be alive that we will have hopefully more than one awesome rally game. I wish DR2.0 had some form of modern top tier rally car, but they dont. Heck we cant even get the 2010 class from DR1.  WRC is going to have what 14-15 locations with 100 stages?  And they are going to have historical cars in the game as well.  Not bashing codies here, but they better get the issues sorted because it looks like a worthy opponent is finally showing up. Heck their rain effects already look better than the glaucoma ridden rain in dr.  I like how they dont have the rain drops on the screen like a mid 90s sega genesis game. 

Well considering what handling WRC 7 had (i remember you could barely slide with the handbrake) , and how this video looks.. yeah doesnt look like it got better. still looks super arcady, like DiRT 4 on crack. Just no sliding, except on 90 degree turns or hairpins, and then with total momentum loss. And the only Reason why DR2.0 doesnt have 2010´s nor current WRC cars are Licensing. Kylotonn has the monopoly. and to be honest.. this looks like a non competitor to DR2.0. Wont even come close. and you can have all the cars and stages in the world, if it feels like midnight club 2 handling engine its no fun. and btw.. when rain falls there are drops on your windshield.

Edited by paint21
  • Disagree 1

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, wfwr26 said:

Just look at the jump from WRC-6 to what we are seeing as an alpha in WRC-8.

The stages we've got to see look incredible. Instead of bashing these games guys, its more like what a great time to be alive that we will have hopefully more than one awesome rally game. I wish DR2.0 had some form of modern top tier rally car, but they dont. Heck we cant even get the 2010 class from DR1.  WRC is going to have what 14-15 locations with 100 stages?  And they are going to have historical cars in the game as well.  Not bashing codies here, but they better get the issues sorted because it looks like a worthy opponent is finally showing up. Heck their rain effects already look better than the glaucoma ridden rain in dr.  I like how they dont have the rain drops on the screen like a mid 90s sega genesis game. 

jump from WRC 6 to 8? yeah, it only took 3 years for them to make a game that looks like it might be good. wow, that's a very low bar you're setting. o.O

honestly, I'm a fan of not buying the WRC games, because their franchise exists because WRC wants total control over their product. they don't let Codemasters use their licensed cars! look at how you have to pay them directly to watch their competitions! in comparison, World RX puts everything on youtube for free - they've even uploaded all the past events from 2014-2015 too now!

just kill the WRC games so the WRC can do a deal with Codemasters to include their content in the Dirt games. they're just on another level. even if you're comparing just the arcade-oriented ones like Dirt 2-4, they are way more fun to drive than WRC 7.

15 minutes ago, paint21 said:

if it feels like midnight club 2 handling engine its no fun.

thanks for mentioning my favourite arcade racing game of all time 😄

Edited by ianism
  • Disagree 2

26 minutes ago, ianism said:

jump from WRC 6 to 8? yeah, it only took 3 years for them to make a game that looks like it might be good. wow, that's a very low bar you're setting. o.O

honestly, I'm a fan of not buying the WRC games, because their franchise exists because WRC wants total control over their product. they don't let Codemasters use their licensed cars! look at how you have to pay them directly to watch their competitions! in comparison, World RX puts everything on youtube for free - they've even uploaded all the past events from 2014-2015 too now!

just kill the WRC games so the WRC can do a deal with Codemasters to include their content in the Dirt games. they're just on another level. even if you're comparing just the arcade-oriented ones like Dirt 2-4, they are way more fun to drive than WRC 7.

thanks for mentioning my favourite arcade racing game of all time 😄

Having 2 companies produce two separate rally games in my opinion is far more optimal, WRC 7 was a big leap forward if that leap is replicated in WRC 8 then it will be a great title.

• Agree 1

Posted (edited)

Keep on dreaming folks 😄

The true rally game is here in front of you, and you're worried about WRC 8

Edited by Riggs
  • Agree 3
  • Disagree 1

1 hour ago, Riggs said:

Keep on dreaming folks 😄

The true rally game is here in front of you, and you're worried about WRC 8

i dont get it, why so much Hate, and focus on just one game? We can play both games.. 

Dirt rally 2 is better for driving , has great Cars,  location are visual superb..

WRC 8 has the new Cars, authentic teams, Great 15 location , and better weather system..

• Agree 4

3 hours ago, dani211212 said:

i dont get it, why so much Hate, and focus on just one game? We can play both games.. 

Dirt rally 2 is better for driving , has great Cars,  location are visual superb..

WRC 8 has the new Cars, authentic teams, Great 15 location , and better weather system..

Yea I like the wrc games. They are great for game pads. I don't compare wrc with dirt because for me they're different animals. And that spares me disappointment both ways.

On 3/30/2019 at 9:42 AM, virgism said:

I have not played a WRC game properly since Evo/Sony used to make them and they were brilliant. Played a demo of WRC 5 maybe and thought it was awful and not looked at it since. Having a look on Metacritic and WRC 7 has a better user rating than 2.0. Worth checking out?

6 hours ago, doyaneedthis said:

Having 2 companies produce two separate rally games in my opinion is far more optimal, WRC 7 was a big leap forward if that leap is replicated in WRC 8 then it will be a great title.

sure, but having one of them blocking the other from licencing the premier racing championship for that kind of motorsport is mean (I would use a stronger word but it will get censored) business practice

EA did the same by acquiring exclusive licenses for several sports leagues, killing its competitors like the 2K games.

I'm not saying the WRC devs are as bad as EA, it's the WRC itself that is the problem here. this is their styles of business.

• Agree 1
  • Disagree 1

9 minutes ago, ianism said:

sure, but having one of them blocking the other from licencing the premier racing championship for that kind of motorsport is mean (I would use a stronger word but it will get censored) business practice

EA did the same by acquiring exclusive licenses for several sports leagues, killing its competitors like the 2K games.

I'm not saying the WRC devs are as bad as EA, it's the WRC itself that is the problem here. this is their styles of business.

Codies are a much bigger company than Milestone with far greater resources to out  bid Milestone for the license id imagine. Surely the reason Codies dont have the WRC license is they have no interest in it? 

4 hours ago, FLAW3D said:

Codies are a much bigger company than Milestone with far greater resources to out  bid Milestone for the license id imagine. Surely the reason Codies dont have the WRC license is they have no interest in it? 

they had WRC cars in Dirt 3 and DR, but then they vanished. do you genuinely think they are not getting the license for the highest-level and biggest motorsport championship that a huge percentage of their user base - and the devs themselves - are interested in..... by choice?

the license just wasn't worth the effort or something?

meanwhile, that motorsport championship is backing their direct competitor in the video game market? 

how naïve are you? (I mean this rhetorically, I don't think you are actually naïve 😉)

I don't see Milestone as the senior partner in this. I see it as the WRC picking a small dev they can sell the license to cheaply and then take most of the game's profits from. this might be better financially for the WRC in the medium term, which is a good thing, but they have yet to put out a legitimately good game and the good sales that come with it.

I'm ready to be wrong with WRC 8, but so far it's felt like the WRC games have been by reading a textbook. they have the building blocks, but none of the ingenuity and fun. the Dirt games are, and that's why we're having this conversation on this site lol

Posted (edited)

Thats not how licenses work in gaming. Licenses are there to be bid on with the highest bidder winning the licence. 

Id be amazed if WRC give the licence away for nothing to Milestone and then they recieve most of the profits thats just not how todays business works.

I seem to remember long ago Codies wanted to "Americanise" their games and wanted a new direction in which they would no longer licence the name McCrae and move away from their UK roots of Rallying. I also seem to remember when they were Americanising their game they worked with Ken Block, Dave Mirra and Travis Pastrana. 

Codies have no interest in the WRC license im afraid.

Edited by FLAW3D

What's all this talk about Milestone? Kylotonn did WRC 5/6/7 and is also doing 8.