New WRC 8 Gameplay Video and Analysis

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, FLAW3D said:

Thats not how licenses work in gaming. Licenses are there to be bid on with the highest bidder winning the licence. 

Id be amazed if WRC give the licence away for nothing to Milestone and then they recieve most of the profits thats just not how todays business works.

I seem to remember long ago Codies wanted to "Americanise" their games and wanted a new direction in which they would no longer licence the name McCrae and move away from their UK roots of Rallying. I also seem to remember when they were Americanising their game they worked with Ken Block, Dave Mirra and Travis Pastrana. 

Codies have no interest in the WRC license im afraid.

clearly you didn't read my post very carefully. I'm pointing out that the WRC clearly has a very different way of doing business from others. look at their live stream deal on their own site. what other sport has that?

as for Americanizing their games, yes sure they did with Dirt 2-3, but that a) was quite a long time ago and b) resulted in some great games and c) Dirt 3 had WRC cars, remember? so even when the games were at their most "Americanized", CM still wanted those licenses.

I think it is important to highlight the fact that the full title of Dirt 2 was Colin McRae Dirt 2. they only removed it with 3,

Edited by ianism

19 hours ago, ianism said:

jump from WRC 6 to 8? yeah, it only took 3 years for them to make a game that looks like it might be good. wow, that's a very low bar you're setting. o.O

honestly, I'm a fan of not buying the WRC games, because their franchise exists because WRC wants total control over their product. they don't let Codemasters use their licensed cars! look at how you have to pay them directly to watch their competitions! in comparison, World RX puts everything on youtube for free - they've even uploaded all the past events from 2014-2015 too now!

just kill the WRC games so the WRC can do a deal with Codemasters to include their content in the Dirt games. they're just on another level. even if you're comparing just the arcade-oriented ones like Dirt 2-4, they are way more fun to drive than WRC 7.

thanks for mentioning my favourite arcade racing game of all time 😄

Very low bar...ha...Dirt Rally came out in in 2015. DR2.0 4 years later. The ffb detail from surfaces is completely missing.  The graphical issues with darkness, motion blur, and bouncing are sickening.  The no grip/beached whale glitch is a thing.  The co-driver missing calls is a thing.  The entire career mode needs online service to be playable. Its a laughable joke.  So its taken codies 4 years and honestly other than some eye-candy on the side of the road, and some stupid god ray blinding sun effects their game arguably has gotten worse.  WRC 6 released in 2016 and 8's coming in 2019.  So in 3 years, they are overhauling physics/graphics/dynamic weather/co-driver/stage design.  Time to take the blinders off.  My post wasnt bashing DR2.0, but you seemed to take it that way. At the end of the day we are lucky to be able to have two rally games out in 2019 instead of none.  If codemasters made the WRC game, it wouldnt get half the justice Kylotonn is giving it now.   

• Agree 5

I like the way how Kylotonn is making their games better.
They listen to their customers / players and change things to the right direction immedietely

• Agree 5

22 hours ago, ianism said:

thanks for mentioning my favourite arcade racing game of all time 😄

No offense mate, loved it as a kid as well, but that handling in a sim ? 😛 isnt a sim.

6 hours ago, FLAW3D said:

I seem to remember long ago Codies wanted to "Americanise" their games and wanted a new direction in which they would no longer licence the name McCrae and move away from their UK roots of Rallying. I also seem to remember when they were Americanising their game they worked with Ken Block, Dave Mirra and Travis Pastrana.

When the company that now owns Codemasters bought the company, they brought in a man to increase the companies marketshare. The person who wanted to "Americanise" Codies left before DiRT Rally started. Ken Block, Travis Pastrana + Dave Mirra, all of whom were taught how to rally by Colin McRae, offered to help with DiRT 2 after Colins death to help save the franchise. Codies removed Colins name from the games at the request of his wife and family.

1 hour ago, RallyLover19 said:

They listen to their customers / players and change things to the right direction immedietely

Dunno if 2 years can be called immediate. And we should be cautious as we haven't seen much of the game yet. They say they are now tailoring it for wheel users from the ground up which sounds great, but the handling still looks ......friendly. 

If it's better than wrc 7 I'll enjoy it a bunch as I liked that game. I can't compare it to dr2 though as the two are miles apart

1 hour ago, RallyLover19 said:

I guess those customers used DiRT Rally as the example of what they wanted then.

• Agree 1

Yea I'd say that's bang on. Dirt rally was the leap forward and other games must catch up to the standard (bugs aside)

I would say my perfect game would be dirt rally with wrc license, as I imagine many others would be too.

We had that discussion in the old forum when we used to dream of a rally sim. General belief was that it was it better to be independent and free to do what Codies wanted to do, rather than go for the big bucks and do what they told Codies to do., and hope that the WRC games company would be forced to follow suit.

You have no idea how much this thread has made me smile.

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)

I'll be buying WRC8 purely on the grounds that it's 100 stages of nothing but rally spanning 14 unique locations and If the handling is good, the AI feels balanced and the co-driver doesn't utter the words "donut" or "a bon" (or whatever it was) then there's going to be more enough for the level of immersion i'm looking for in a rally game.

My feeling with DR2 is that it's strengths probably lie at a time when the season passes have expired and all DLC's are fully integrated because whilst playing the game through it's various stages of evolution has it's merits it will never have the same level of impact as it would playing it as a complete package further down the road. 

I've sampled DR2 and the benefits of not me being saddled with a digital copy means that can happily walk away from my current rally fix, sample a new fix in September and look forward to the main course in all it's splendor towards the end of the year.

My only hope now is that Codemasters decide on a season three and ultimately bundle a GOTY edition for the festive season  

Edited by _BorisTheFrog_

The more I see of this game the more impressed I become. Had the pleasure of watching a night stage, and it was truly impressive. Good throw from the lights, the way the beams lit up the environment and moved along the tree line in concert with the motion of the vehicle, looked insanely real and immersive. I have never played the WRC series, so I have no baggage going in. Unlike others who seem to believe it will not live up the hype - I on the other hand think it will be a home run. The environments, the graphics, the stages, the official cars, the fact they have stressed repeatedly that they are focusing heavily on the wheel use and modelling FFB to be much better than games of the past...

Call me excessively optimistic, but I really feel like this will their coming out party, and I am super stoked to welcome in another pure bred rally game. To say DR2.0 has been a bit of a let down is some respects would be understating it...so with high hopes they patch the daylights (and headlights) out of it - I will look forward to having two amazing games in honour of the best and most challenging driving discipline in the world.

Long live Rally, and I hope WRC8 is a world beater!

• Like 1
  • Agree 6

I don' t wanna make a new thread so I just put it here. Could there be small chance that Paul Rustchynsky/Slightly Mad Studios are doing a rally game? Could it be exclusive for the new console if that ever happens.

https://twitter.com/rushy33

Well they've already confirmed PC3 is in the works, but apparently the focus will be more........need for speedish

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, Rallystu2 said:

Well they've already confirmed PC3 is in the works, but apparently the focus will be more........need for speedish

Not quite it will be a full on sim but they will structure the game to be more fun rather than a sandbox game.

• Agree 3

On 3/29/2019 at 7:20 AM, McRoessler said:

well with all the bugs and missing ffb in DR2, i think we need to have a right to look at a good alternative...although I really DO hope that codies are addressing the major issues in time! 
(this coming from someone who is a fan of the DR series since Collin Mc Rae Rally!)

The good alternative for alot of ppl has been RBR and still is.  Its just alot of effort needed to get running properly.

I played RBR (vanilla) a few days ago to compare it to DR2.0 and apart from tarmac physics and mechanical damage, Dirt Rally 2.0 is miles ahead in terms of handling simulation in my opinion.

• Agree 1

25 minutes ago, danielofifi said:

I played RBR (vanilla) a few days ago to compare it to DR2.0 and apart from tarmac physics and mechanical damage, Dirt Rally 2.0 is miles ahead in terms of handling simulation in my opinion.

Yea vanilla RBR absolutely i agree. NGP 6 however i prefer over DR2.0 anyday if only from how predictable the handling is. Ends up being a much more positive experience overall for me personally which is the ultimate goal for myself.  The rally school is imo the best tutorial of any racing title across the sub genres I've ever seen.

On 4/15/2019 at 10:41 AM, FLAW3D said:

but they will structure the game to be more fun.

....which roughly translates as "Ian Bell will be be appearing as an ingame character telling humourous anecdotes to while away the time whilst it goes thru a 12 month patching process"

The handling doesn't look bad at all in those replays. Starting to think this may actually be decent. 

Why Did they get the BBC war correspondent from 1939 to do the pacenotes?

• Haha 3

Yeah the sound in general is pretty awful. 

• Agree 2

4 minutes ago, gleylancer571 said:

I like argentina better than dirt

Oh yea? How does it feel compared to dr2?