Sign in to follow this  

Let’s talk about wheel friction

17 hours ago, Cortextual said:

I'm on a t300 and there is a massive difference. Like I said mate, check your driver and make sure you haven't followed the 0% spring and damper advice that's often recommended for other games.

You need to put Damper and Spring to 0 in DR and DR2 or RBR - they are artificial forces. You need them, if you want fake feedback or your game too old. In new games they don't make any sense. Real wheels don't have springs 🙂

• Disagree 1

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, virgism said:

You need to put Damper and Spring to 0 in DR and DR2 or RBR - they are artificial forces. You need them, if you want fake feedback or your game too old. In new games they don't make any sense. Real wheels don't have springs 🙂

I'm actually basing the use of damper on Dirt Rally since it was required in that ffb model for wheel friction to do anything, it may be that is no longer the case for all I know, I turned off wheel friction the day the updated ffb came out for Dirt Rally. Spring is irrelevant, it would indeed be an unwanted effect if it did anything, since you wouldn't want the wheel to autocenter and override ffb but having it turned up doesn't do anything in DR.

Actually that would only happen if you set autocenter by the wheel instead of game. Bah, you've confused me, how dare you.

Ok, after testing in DR2.0 I can confirm that wheel friction and tyre friction require damper to be turned up in the driver and while wheel friction is debatably useless, tyre friction is a useful effect which is actually based on output from the physics of the game so if you are playing with damper turned down you are sacrificing that aspect of the ffb.

Edited by Cortextual
  • Agree 2

On 3/30/2019 at 8:10 AM, Cortextual said:

Ok, after testing in DR2.0 I can confirm that wheel friction and tyre friction require damper to be turned up in the driver and while wheel friction is debatably useless, tyre friction is a useful effect which is actually based on output from the physics of the game so if you are playing with damper turned down you are sacrificing that aspect of the ffb.

Tried this yesterday, could not say why but seemed to have a little bit more control/intuition of what the car was doing but it's so finite I can't even describe why. I'm wary of the placebo effect when it comes to these fixes and perceiving improvements.

Posted (edited)

You are lucky you can adjust wheel and tire friction. Those options don't exist on Xbox. But it does feel like wheel friction is set to 100 or 150

Edited by Fizzlenog

4 hours ago, Fizzlenog said:

You are lucky you can adjust wheel and tire friction. Those options don't exist on Xbox. But it does feel like wheel friction is set to 100 or 150

Yea that sucks man, I personally would hate to have the friction set that high so hopefully they will do something about that when they eventually make changes to the ffb.

Here PS4 pro & T300 : the best ffb I can have (and it's not so bad, I had a blast last night) is with SAT 45, Wheel friction 0, Tyre friction 41, suspension 100, collision 65.

I agree that TF must be slighty lower than SAT. I hope so CM will improve the road feeling. For me the torque (SAT) is well done. I just miss some road texture information.

Posted (edited)
On 3/29/2019 at 12:07 PM, Cortextual said:

If you can't tell a difference between 0 and 150 you might have damper turned right down in the driver. I think it needs to be turned up or at least let games manage the settings. From what you say about not liking a light wheel though it sounds like it works, so who knows. 0 and 150 are dramatically different if set up right.

I also have it either off or nearly off but I have tire friction around the same strength as SAT.

From my steering wheel config damper is turned up to 100%.  But yeah, I definitely do not notice hardly any different between 0 and 150 assuming I really notice any difference at all.  /shrugs.

Seems the one thing that does work for me in increasing what I believe the wheel friction would do is by going out of the game and editing the device config text file, bumping the 'friction' tag over its default of 1.5 for my wheel.  Though doing that does create an odd feeling effect.  At least when it's too high.  I initially took it to 5 and yeah, no.  The slider in game wasn't doing anything though. 

Edited by lilfurbal

The Rally driver that helped Codies out seems to think theres a difference with wheel friction, He advises 30 on his TS-XW Thrustmaster wheel. 

Screenshot 2019-03-30 14.27.23.png

On 3/29/2019 at 2:25 PM, heath82 said:

Hey everybody, i played dr1 a lot and in the all guides i read to set the force feedback they advised to put wheel friction to 0% or a low rate anyway. Now, all the users who’s been posting their settings put wheel friction to 100% or a high rate anyway.. i find the wheel friction totally unrealistic and even harder to drive and countersteer. I’d wanna know your thoughts about it

Hey guys, i wanted to share with y’ll my experience with my new t300 gt edition. i was used to my little t150, where wheel friction was very invasive that i couldn’t countersteer. Now i was testing my new t300, i tried to set SAT at 40 and wheel friction ar 0, then i tried SAT ar 30 and wheel friction at 100 (default), i gotta admit that i liked the second one.. it looked so weird for me because I always thought that wheel friction was an unrealistic effect, at least about the feeling i had with my t150, but with t300 everything looks different, the weight of the wheel looks so realistic since it’s a rally game, i got surprised and i wanted to share that.