Sign in to follow this  

Let’s talk about wheel friction

Hey everybody, i played dr1 a lot and in the all guides i read to set the force feedback they advised to put wheel friction to 0% or a low rate anyway. Now, all the users who’s been posting their settings put wheel friction to 100% or a high rate anyway.. i find the wheel friction totally unrealistic and even harder to drive and countersteer. I’d wanna know your thoughts about it

Posted (edited)

I set mine to 0, because otherwise I can't turn my wheel and it's not realistic (unless you drive a 2001 Renault Clio, those b****** are hard to turn).

Keep the tyre friction though.

Edited by Riggs
  • Agree 1

25 minutes ago, Riggs said:

I set mine to 0, because otherwise I can't turn my wheel and it's not realistic (unless you drive a 2001 Renault Clio, those b****** are hard to turn).

Keep the tyre friction though.

Me too!! I can’t get why Codemasters put wheel friction settings in dr2 when Codemasters itself advised to set it 0% in dr1!! 

I don't find the wheel friction or tyre friction settings to have particularly strong effects, can't barely tell any difference between 0 and 150%.  That said, I actually have both wheel and tyre friction at 125%, I don't know how people play with it at 0 as that is too loose, doesn't feel like driving a real car and it causes me to not have proper control.  I like some weight, helps me be much more accurate in my steering and causes other effects, such as the SAT, to not be quite as jolting.  

1 minute ago, lilfurbal said:

I don't find the wheel friction or tyre friction settings to have particularly strong effects, can't barely tell any difference between 0 and 150%.  That said, I actually have both wheel and tyre friction at 125%, I don't know how people play with it at 0 as that is too loose, doesn't feel like driving a real car and it causes me to not have proper control.  I like some weight, helps me be much more accurate in my steering and causes other effects, such as the SAT, to not be quite as jolting.  

I’m not talking about tyre friction, wheel friction is totally unrealistic effect, if you want more weight you should increase torque!! 

1 minute ago, heath82 said:

I’m not talking about tyre friction, wheel friction is totally unrealistic effect, if you want more weight you should increase torque!! 

I don't see how increasing wheel friction is unrealistic, feels more realistic to me.  My real car doesn't steer that loosely.  Torque doesn't increase the weight either, just has the wheel pull left or right depending on what is going on.  Technically all the FFB effects are 'fake' because the steering wheel itself is fake, but there is a difference between having the wheel feel like a game controller vs having it feel like a real steering wheel.  I prefer the more realistic feeling as it's more immersive.  Basically I find having no wheel weight to feel very unrealistic, but maybe it does depending on the car you're comparing it to.  

Just now, lilfurbal said:

I don't see how increasing wheel friction is unrealistic, feels more realistic to me.  My real car doesn't steer that loosely.  Torque doesn't increase the weight either, just has the wheel pull left or right depending on what is going on.  Technically all the FFB effects are 'fake' because the steering wheel itself is fake, but there is a difference between having the wheel feel like a game controller vs having it feel like a real steering wheel.  I prefer the more realistic feeling as it's more immersive.  Basically I find having no wheel weight to feel very unrealistic, but maybe it does depending on the car you're comparing it to.  

I got your point but that kind of weight is really weird!! If you play assetto corsa (that has a very good ff), you don’t have that kind of weight on the wheel, it’s totally different.. maybe it depends of the wheel, but if you check on internet, Codemasters itself in its dr1’s guide, said to set wheel friction to 0% at least for thrusmaster’s owners

I play with I think 5% wheel friction? Just a tiny bit of added turn resistance. I used to run a much heavier wheel setup in DR1, but I run a very light/loose one now in 2.0 and the added resistance just helped me adjust to the new settings. 2.0 feels great with a lighter wheel FFB setup, it just takes a bit of getting used to if you didn't run it that way back in DR1

• Agree 1

I'm using a thrustmaster wheel, I haven't really played much assetto corsa so probably my best comparison is with project cars 2.  and project cars 2 FFB effects are actually a good deal more impressive than dr2, so I am probably trying to compensate the best way I figure with what dr2 allows me to do.  

I have wheel friction always at 0, every race game. The only thing wheel friction does is add weight without giving you useful info. In most cases it even masks the real ffb.

• Agree 3

3 hours ago, lilfurbal said:

If you can't tell a difference between 0 and 150 you might have damper turned right down in the driver. I think it needs to be turned up or at least let games manage the settings. From what you say about not liking a light wheel though it sounds like it works, so who knows. 0 and 150 are dramatically different if set up right.

I also have it either off or nearly off but I have tire friction around the same strength as SAT.

• Agree 3

9 minutes ago, Cortextual said:

If you can't tell a difference between 0 and 150 you might have damper turned right down in the driver. I think it needs to be turned up or at least let games manage the settings. From what you say about not liking a light wheel though it sounds like it works, so who knows. 0 and 150 are dramatically different if set up right.

I also have it either off or nearly off but I have tire friction around the same strength as SAT.

+1 to this.

Wheel friction is noticeable from 0-5 increments, let alone setting at 150!!!

Adds a lot of unrealistic weight/damper. TM wheels inherently have a lot of damping, so the wheel friction should be 0.

Tyre friction on the other hand, is good - but set to moderate levels and should never exceeed SAT value, but be close to it instead (usually 5-10% below).

• Agree 2

Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, Buckwilder said:

Tyre friction on the other hand, is good - but set to moderate levels and should never exceeed SAT value, but be close to it instead (usually 5-10% below).

Didn't know about this. I have mine on 100 since it gives me some more FFB, at least until the vibrations are back. I have SAT on 50 though. Need to try it with the tyre friction lower.

Edited by Riggs

No difference between 0 and a maximum value of 150 on the steering wheel T300.

5 minutes ago, PetSild said:

No difference between 0 and a maximum value of 150 on the steering wheel T300.

I'm on a t300 and there is a massive difference. Like I said mate, check your driver and make sure you haven't followed the 0% spring and damper advice that's often recommended for other games.

• Agree 1

My understanding is Wheel Friction counters the physical dead weight of your wheel/rim and then introduces more drag or resistance to input. In other games and this one I put this setting low otherwise, it drowns out road/suspension detail. In this one, I have my t300 at 05 percent.

8 minutes ago, PetSild said:

Put all values FFB at 0 except the friction wheels.

pml0w1k.png

I'm talking about these settings. If damper is 0 in here that may be the reason it makes no difference in game. It probably affects tire friction too which is actually useful.

Posted (edited)

Ok, I wouldn't say it has no effect though. It has a detrimental effect in most cases but you can certainly feel it. Unless you mean it still has no effect even with those settings, in which case I'm out of ideas.

Edited by Cortextual

The only thing that has an effect on the strength of the wheel is of the Self Aligning Torque.

Just messing with it now my wheel is much heavier and slower with the two friction settings turned up, but I actually must admit it isn't as strong as it used to be.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Riggs said:

Didn't know about this. I have mine on 100 since it gives me some more FFB, at least until the vibrations are back. I have SAT on 50 though. Need to try it with the tyre friction lower.

Yeah Trye friction is more noticeable at low speed than high speed, but setting higher than SAT falsifies or tends to ‘clip’ the mechanical trail with overpowering pneumatic trail. One should never exceed the other by too much.

Of course this assumes a fully functional FFB model - like as in DR1. We don’t have that with DR2.

I cannot speak to DR2 as Tyre friction is a non adjustable parameter on my TX right now (greyed out).

Edited by Buckwilder

3 hours ago, Buckwilder said:

I cannot speak to DR2 as Tyre friction is a non adjustable parameter on my TX right now (greyed out).

That's really weird man cos T300 is basically the same wheel. Have you tried loading the preset for it or calibrating it? Some weird things going on with wheels and ffb atm it seems.

1 hour ago, Cortextual said:

That's really weird man cos T300 is basically the same wheel. Have you tried loading the preset for it or calibrating it? Some weird things going on with wheels and ffb atm it seems.

Yeah man, tried it all - not adjustable.

Bummer cause it is a big deal, and not being able to adjust it sucks 😕