Same method to use custom liveries for DLC cars

Hello everyone !! I also want to make skin for the DLC car it would be super simpas, I have already full in stock

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

Hey @PJTierney - we'd massively appreciate word on whether the folder method for liveries can be patched in for DLC cars. Even if DLC .nefs stay encrypted, there is a wealth of liveries for models we've seen before in DiRT 4 / DR which we could use if the folder method would work.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

Had a few comments about that; I'll bring it up in the next community feedback session 🙂 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

On 6/6/2019 at 4:26 PM, PJTierney said:

Had a few comments about that; I'll bring it up in the next community feedback session 🙂 

Thanks a Lot!

Hello everyone, just thought I’d drop in a note regarding the DLC car files and the inability to edit liveries.

These cars are encrypted for a number of reasons, the main one being that if left unencrypted, players without the DLC content could freely access them.

In order to edit the livery files of these cars and produce livery mods, the car files are required to be unencrypted, however this is not something we are willing to do I’m afraid.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but I felt it best we give you a heads up as to why you can’t create livery mods for these cars.

Posted (edited)
On 6/19/2019 at 4:03 PM, PJTierney said:

Hello everyone, just thought I’d drop in a note regarding the DLC car files and the inability to edit liveries.

These cars are encrypted for a number of reasons, the main one being that if left unencrypted, players without the DLC content could freely access them.

In order to edit the livery files of these cars and produce livery mods, the car files are required to be unencrypted, however this is not something we are willing to do I’m afraid.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but I felt it best we give you a heads up as to why you can’t create livery mods for these cars.

Thanks for your answer @PJTierney !

This is a really bad news 😢

- You should protect by another way to not let people use DLC cars who not paid for them
- At least use the same methode to let use custom liveries from sub-folders as you did the same for all other car - we don't need to unencrypted .NEFS files...

Edited by mesa
  • Agree 1

On 6/19/2019 at 3:03 PM, PJTierney said:

Other games have locked car files but offer a "custom livery" folder outside the main car folder.... if other companys can do it that way... why can't codies do it

• Agree 1

Posted (edited)
On 6/23/2019 at 12:05 PM, grancab said:

Other games have locked car files but offer a "custom livery" folder outside the main car folder.... if other companys can do it that way... why can't codies do it

CM can't be seen to be helping people create real-life liveries that they don't have the rights to. it gives the people who own those liveries grounds to sue them. 

if it's just players essentially "hacking" the game, CM is ok. but if they put in things that make the "hacking" easier, they open themselves up to legal trouble, the costs of which far exceed the benefits of making players like us happier

Edited by ianism
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, ianism said:

CM can't be seen to be helping people create real-life liveries that they don't have the rights to. it gives the people who own those liveries grounds to sue them. 

if it's just players essentially "hacking" the game, CM is ok. but if they put in things that make the "hacking" easier, they open themselves up to legal trouble, the costs of which far exceed the benefits of making players like us happier

I see your point but, doesn't both Project CARS games had a very "user livery-friendly" policy? It wasn't just them putting a white livery to replace it with yours, they even released the templates in their forums. And the same goes for Assetto Corsa and rFactor 2. I don't see no one suing those companies for that.

Not trying to be harsh or anything, I'm just stating that there has to be something else... And it's strange that they only are locking DLC cars and not the base game ones.

On 6/26/2019 at 1:08 PM, AyrtJ97 said:

I see your point but, doesn't both Project CARS games had a very "user livery-friendly" policy? It wasn't just them putting a white livery to replace it with yours, they even released the templates in their forums. And the same goes for Assetto Corsa and rFactor 2. I don't see no one suing those companies for that.

Not trying to be harsh or anything, I'm just stating that there has to be something else... And it's strange that they only are locking DLC cars and not the base game ones.

educated guess here. the WRC is the kind of business that would go after any possible infringement very aggressively. they've done this before with the Dirt franchise, trying to block codies from using roads present in their championship. that's why famous stages like col de turini are broken up in DR1 and 2. and that's why there are no modern WRC cars in Dirt 4 or Rally 2.0.

look at what you have to do just to watch WRC events online. behind a monthly subscription paywall! in comparison the World RX championship is free on YouTube.

as for codies blocking liveries for DLC cars, PJ told us a couple weeks ago that it's not possible because unlocking the liveries would make the cars themselves available to all players. yeah I don't get it either lol

5 hours ago, ianism said:

educated guess here. the WRC is the kind of business that would go after any possible infringement very aggressively. they've done this before with the Dirt franchise, trying to block codies from using roads present in their championship. that's why famous stages like col de turini are broken up in DR1 and 2. and that's why there are no modern WRC cars in Dirt 4 or Rally 2.0.

look at what you have to do just to watch WRC events online. behind a monthly subscription paywall! in comparison the World RX championship is free on YouTube.

as for codies blocking liveries for DLC cars, PJ told us a couple weeks ago that it's not possible because unlocking the liveries would make the cars themselves available to all players. yeah I don't get it either lol

Well, the problem with what you said in the first paragraph was because licensing, yes, we all know it (those problems apparently were just with 2017+ cars and stages of current WRC events). But then again, every WRC class car was up for modding in DiRT Rally and DiRT 4, and I don't see the WRC going against those of us who created liveries for those games, nor against rally cars mods made by the community, which is what we are talking about here. Look at it this way, the FOM is very itchy about who and how uses F1 footage, present or not, but they don't go deleting every F1 related mod out there. So IMHO bringing the WRC licensing issues up here doesn't make much sense (even less when some of the DLC cars aren't WRC class cars).

As for your last paragraph, well, people here have brought up other solutions to make everyone happy, like releasing a template and letting us use the folder method, like others companies do, which is what I was talking about in the first place. I can fully understand the reasons behind locking the full files of the cars though.

• Agree 1

Please find another way to protect DLC cars.
Or let use the folder methode as you did for other cars.

We badly need more liveries for example this one:

37386415_1022728504551778_827157933241401344_o.jpg

• Like 2

Tbf this would be less of an issue if most vehicles in the game had 3-4 good looking liveries. Most rally cars only have one, two is a blessing and nearly none have three. The Focus 2007 has zero!

The rest of the liveries were blatantly created by using the livery editor from dirt 4. They rarely look good on any of the cars and are always outclassed by the real life liveries.

The deluxe liveries certainly look higher in production value but the Deluxe sponsorship is insane! Why are they like this, you're only advertising the DLC to me and I already bought it!

• Like 1

This game required online accounts. Every user account should have a database which DLC is paid by them
Not a hard job to check which player can drive a DLC car - sg like as Rockstar games handles it. 

The way as CM now encrypted only DLC cars is ridicule

• Agree 1

@PJTierney

Are they going to find a way to give us the chance to change the livery of DLC cars?

Like everyone suggested.. 
By use the same method to let use custom livery from sub-folders like they did the same for all other cars - we don't need to unencrypt the .NEFS files ...Only the chance to replace a livery. Or as RallyLover posted above, there must certainly be a way.

Please make another effort to check this and inform us if they are looking for a solution for this.

• Like 1

UP

Codemasters NEED to re-thnk their policy. I will no pay for any DLC car if i can use the only one livery. Sorry.
I work for FREE at least let me do my job if you have no time/money for licences to make more REAL livery

Posted (edited)

OK there's no need to unlock anything, just use the same method to let use custom livery from sub-folders like you did the same for all other cars

What you give us with DLCs are pretty bad. Especially the 2001 Ford Focus Rally comes with boring, poor looking liveries.

Edited by RallyLover19
More
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

On 6/19/2019 at 4:03 PM, PJTierney said:

Sorry @PJTierney But that's not true.
Let's take a look at Focus 2001. The car was part of previous Dirt games and people already made some really nice liveries for that car... For example here's mine:

We don't need to decrypt Dirt Rally 2.0 .NEFS file, cause We can make our .DDS graphics files and load them into a compressed .PSSG file as we used to ...
So you don't need to change anything, just let the game pick up our previously made .PSSG files from "fow" folder.
Same for the C4, Manta etc. Please!

praying-hands.jpg?fit=800,450&ssl=1

Edited by mesa
  • Like 4

I'm guessing that for some reason the nefs need to be unencrypted in order to pick up the PSSG files, which is why Codies have said no to that method 😭

Nothing new here? I've just bought an Oculus and want to buy the Season 3 & 4 DLC to go along with the latest update but I just can't stand the liveries included. Please fix this guys!

• Like 1

If they won't open the cars for modding they could at least release some half decent liveries as official content. Focus 2007 is just sad as it is.

What's with all these plain skin with only a few decals and Dirt 4 livery generator stuff anyway? In Dirt Rally 1 most cars had several good looking fantasy liveries, what happened to that?

• Like 1

This needs to happen.  The liveries for the Focus 2001 are really poor as well.

• Like 1