DR 2.0 - One Month Later

I am rapidly losing hope 😞

I also read the 1.2 changelist with disbelief. There are some really, really obvious issues that need to be addressed and they just... aren't.

Now combine that with the DLC model and it feels like a really bad PR deal all 'round. They maybe could have got away with the DLC if they had good will - it is, after all, cheap. But this kind of community engagement (or rather, the lack of it) isn't winning anyone over.

• Agree 3

9 hours ago, danielofifi said:

Naprawdę? Chodź, to śmieszne.

Zgadzam się z tym, notatki są w porządku, ale chciałbym, żeby się uspokoił, jego podniecenie mnie stresuje : ]

So physics is mediocre to me, and the only advantage is that cars seem to be heavy. Of course, everyone can judge in their own way. There are probably those who will give 10/10 and i respect that.

3 hours ago, DieselPoweredJo said:

It was nice of them to fix the sound cutting out by the way /s

That is, when they do fix that bug...

Posted (edited)

I think game came out unpolished, like many games this days. I blame that to internet because all games nowdays are connected to internet, and then patch after patch is coming out. Overall driving experience I find a bit unrealistic. AI in career mode is sometimes lunatic, dosen't take in consideration road conditions. Water textures on cars and cabin looked better in Dirt 1.0. FWD cars are powersliding with all four wheels on taramc? Sometimes on mud i feel like cars are just floating..!? ..don't know.
Other thing that I don't like is there isn't much stages, without "Deluxe" you kind of only get skeleton without meat; and for now I find price of Deluxe a bit steep to upgrade, considering all this child illnesses game have.

Edited by Wellwh0
  • Agree 1

Whilst I love the game, I will say that the lack of open and honest communication about its issues, in conjunction with the way Dirt 4 was handled post launch, is becoming a larger and larger issue for me.

There’s a great game in here and I really hope to keep seeing content being added to it, but a few issues preventing it living up to expectations for some players. I think most noticeably the FFB and the weather and time conditions.

But aside from the odd comment as a social media post or reply when community momentum demands it, there’s nothing forthcoming discussing the reasons for some of the changes, some of the things that might take longer and admitting some of the things we are asking for may not be possible.

For a start; why is FFB lacking in the areas that people are asking about? There must be a logical reason, either a choice or change in the physics late in development affecting it. What’s the plan with it? Trying older versions? Getting in an expert like with DR1?

Same with weather and time. How is it generated? Can we have any hope for new times (morning or afternoon) and changes to the way weather is assigned? Why are there certain times of day with only a single weather condition and others with four and why was the Dirt 4 system discarded? A choice for online play leaderboards? Using an earlier branch and Dirt 4 conditions weren’t compatible?

What was the thinking behind the ‘iris effect’ making the shadows unreasonably dark in daytime? Is it something that could be toggleable or changed or is it a fundamental part of the engine version that can’t be addressed in this version?

I don’t honestly mind the answers, it’s the lack of communication that bothers me.

Assetto Corsa questions about night and rain: “it’s not possible, the engine only supports one light source”. OK then.

Raceroom requests for offline multi class: “we can do the code for in game no problem (here are some screens) but we don’t have anyone to do the UI changes at the moment”. OK then.

Il2 people wanting heavy bombers: “we have to model each crew position, a new flight model and for the same work we can do 4-6 regular aircraft. Limitations to maps and the draw distance means we couldn’t do it as well as we’d like to”. OK then.

Now I admit, Codemasters seems to court players that wouldn’t read this level of depth, but there are plenty of us who will do. Heck, even DR1 had much better comms and was open about what couldn’t be changed within the engine.

• Agree 20

It's all starting to feel very Dirt 4. I'm starting to doubt that a lot of this stuff will ever be fixed, especially given the apparently poor sales. 

• Agree 3

23 minutes ago, Decks said:

It's all starting to feel very Dirt 4. I'm starting to doubt that a lot of this stuff will ever be fixed, especially given the apparently poor sales. 

VR addition will give them another “launch” shot at the game IMO and there’s nothing that shouldn’t be solvable before that IMO, but for those of us who already bought the game and bought into the “6 months of support” (of which one has already gone) I want to see a bit more comms about.

• Agree 2

For me personally, the game on the Xbox One X is so close to being perfect. All I am hoping for is a FOV slider, because the current default feels like almost a chase-cam, and is seriously lacking immersion (not to mention the road ahead is too small to see properly from about medium distance). Career AI is the other only real issue for me, and I hope we get a simple 'easy, medium, hard' toggle for career difficulty.

Apart from that, the 'too many night stages' issue is no longer there, and the rain isn't too frequent for me now, either. Night-time and heavy rain is still terrible, they definitely need to fix the 'cloud of giant nails' effect.

The haziness is now OK, it's only a fleeting issue in Poland during a sunny day, and changing the Xbox output settings to RGB reduced a lot of brightness/haziness. A bloom slider would be welcome though.

The thing is, DR1 was fundamentally flawed, in that the handling was floaty and finicky. This game handles like a dream. So we are so, so close.

I hope Christina hasn't taken another holiday, but whatever the reason, an update as Rodger has suggested, simply telling us what is being worked on, would do epic wonders for the morale on this forum I think.

• Agree 6

Surely they've passed the point where they are no longer "looking into it" with some of the major issues. We should have an update that says something like.

• We've identified the cause and investing time to resolve.
  • Apologise and state they cant identify the problems and so have turned attention onto other areas.
  • We havent found a workable solution.
  • we're experiementing with different solutions.

I dont like silence...

• Agree 7

Posted (edited)

I too think that this type of communication is one of Codemasters bigger mistakes. All the negativity after release could ONLY build up because there was no communication to calm it down. ESPECIALLY after what happened with DiRt 4 and its lack of communication. If this part of the industry was handled better I´m convinced it would have helped big time. I´m a bit dumbfounded anyway that the Community Manager goes on vacation during the week of release; the most important time for the game. Don´t get me wrong, I´m sure the pre-release-time was stressful (for everybody), and the vacation well deserved. But maybe Codemasters could have taken somebody else during the Community Managers absence to talk to the community ? 

Just one experience I had with another game in the last week: Grim Dawn released it´s newest Add On, Forgotten Gods. And sadly the patch that came with the Add On released with a bug that led to crashes. The designer of Grim Dawn was VERY quick to respond on the Steam Forums and their official Forum. He said they needed feedback regarding those crashes. After a couple of hours feedback came from the devs that they identified the issue. Some time later feedback they´re testing a fix. And again later that the fix will release post-haste (together with additional improvements). It was I think one day from the first crash-reports to a fix. 

I write this because there are many people who always write that "people will ALWAYS complain". That people nowadays are entitled and stuff like that. But during all that time in that crash-thread in Grim Dawn there was ZERO negativity towards the game or the devs. There was frustration that people couldn´t play, but not ONCE has anyone written "This is the last game I buy from you......" or "This game sucks......". And Grim Dawn has no small community; it has sold way over 1 Million copies at this point (and it´s only available on PC). So no, people don´t always complain. And I´m convinced that it would have been different if Crate (the developer of Grim Dawn) would have stayed silent or only written one sentence on Twitter "We acknowledge this bug".

I know this more personal communication isn´t always possible; and I don´t expect a status report every couple of hours. But regular communication that comes from the devs themselves, and not only as part of an answer goes a long way to built goodwill towards your company. Goodwill that would come in VERY handy in more difficult times.....(like the release of DR2.0).

I think Codemasters built up a LOT of goodwill during Dirt Rally 1s Early Access-phase and the game in general. But they also lost a LOT of that after DiRt 4.

The Roadbook from March 20th was great. But that was almost 2 weeks ago......

Edited by Civarello
  • Agree 12

4 hours ago, LittleApple said:

Surely they've passed the point where they are no longer "looking into it" with some of the major issues. We should have an update that says something like.

• We've identified the cause and investing time to resolve.
  • Apologise and state they cant identify the problems and so have turned attention onto other areas.
  • We havent found a workable solution.
  • we're experiementing with different solutions.

I dont like silence...

it appears codemasters have gone into hiding, yet again no word of potential fixes or plans for updates?

Sick of waiting for them to let us know what's going on.

• Agree 1

Posted (edited)

If your full time job is the ‘Community Manager’, what else are you doing other than reading these forums, posting on twitter and the like?  Sure you may not be in the know technically speaking, but you can definitely be our voice internally within codemasters  

When I bought this game I didn’t realise how scummy the dlc was going to be. 

Add to that the dreadful FFB + pretty horrible looking ps4pro graphics + little to no communication......

So I’m waiting another couple weeks, then I’m out and waiting for WRC 8. 

Edited by Ferrethead81
  • Agree 5

even Dirt Rally gets its fair share here...

• Haha 1

I really don't understand what @christinamc is doing.... Her job is to talk to us, we don't know if she even listen... This is not respect

• Agree 2

On 4/1/2019 at 10:31 AM, RodgerDavies said:

Assetto Corsa questions about night and rain: “it’s not possible, the engine only supports one light source”. OK then.

Agree!
Just a quick response Assetto Corsa already works well with multiple light sources and has got changing weather by "SOL Weather" and Lights mod

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, bbbwww said:

even Dirt Rally gets its fair share here...

Jim on the money as per.

Edited by FLAW3D

20 hours ago, LittleApple said:

I dont like silence...

Shush guys, I think I’ve heard something, maybe it’s Codies trying to reach their Community...

Nope, my bad! Carry on.

• Haha 2
  • Agree 1

The twitter account is ignoring people now as well. They've went into full Dirt 4 mode now.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1
  • Agree 3

1 hour ago, Decks said:

The twitter account is ignoring people now as well. They've went into full Dirt 4 mode now.

What about organizing a strike ? Nobody on Racenet till they solve the main problems and issues, or at least communicate on it. Maybe they will react ? 

14 minutes ago, Spacepadrille said:

What about organizing a strike ? Nobody on Racenet till they solve the main problems and issues, or at least communicate on it. Maybe they will react ? 

We need a developer communication tracker that (links official messages from twitter, reddit, steam, facebook etc..) Maybe even summed up in the weekly roadbooks. I cant be bothered following every channel of coms but i saw some "developer tagged person on steam and reddit" in the week after release. Havent read them since that first week though.. I Just check the official forum and read the roadbook every week for news and updates.

17 minutes ago, LittleApple said:

We need a developer communication tracker that (links official messages from twitter, reddit, steam, facebook etc..) Maybe even summed up in the weekly roadbooks. I cant be bothered following every channel of coms but i saw some "developer tagged person on steam and reddit" in the week after release. Havent read them since that first week though.. I Just check the official forum and read the roadbook every week for news and updates.

https://discordapp.com/channels/539778417911005186/540479131410759681

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Spacepadrille said:

Nice idea, it’s a bit hard to boycott a product that we’ve all already bought though haha

Codies  have all the power now.

Edited by Pieman99
  • Agree 1

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, RallyLover19 said:

Agree!
Just a quick response Assetto Corsa already works well with multiple light sources and has got changing weather by "SOL Weather" and Lights mod

Lol, I know, it's superb, but it is the developers' position to this day.

Edited by RodgerDavies