Will F1 2019 Have an Always-Online Career Mode Like Dirt Rally 2.0?

Let's just have an honest answer please. Is this Racenet nonsense going to be implemented in the latest F1 game? It's quite clear that Racenet is just not working well, and I think it would be an extremely poor decision to include it in F1 2019.

It's only fair to inform people in advance if it's going to be included or not, so that we can make an informed decision as to whether or not to pre-order/buy the game.

I too also wondered about this after seeing how it was implemented in DR2.0. If what they say it true that they’ve spent 2 years developing this new game then I’m going to guess that there’s a strong possibility they could have implemented it into the F1 series too 😕 

Posted (edited)

RaceNet nonsense has been part of F1 games since F1 2013, and I'd guess it still is part of the F1 games. For proof, you can check the old ("outdated") RaceNet site. I doubt it will be "always online" though.

Edited by UP100

Posted (edited)
25 minutes ago, UP100 said:

RaceNet nonsense has been part of F1 games since F1 2013, and I'd guess it still is part of the F1 games. For proof, you can check the old ("outdated") RaceNet site. I doubt it will be "always online" though.

not to the extent that it is in DR2.0 though. every. single. thing. you do in career mode in DR2.0 requires the game to connect to Racenet. Imagine an F1 game where the game has to connect to racenet every time you buy an upgrade for your car, start a practice/qualy/race session, end a session, progress to the next weekend ... now you have an idea of what Racenet does in DR2.0. imagine doing a full qualifying session, driving the lap of your life to just squeak into pole position, then the game tries to connect to Racenet and fails, so you get a DNF for the whole qualifying session and start in last place. that is basically what could happen if Racenet is built into the career mode of F1 2019.

Edited by Tranzitive

Posted (edited)
54 minutes ago, Tranzitive said:

not to the extent that it is in DR2.0 though. every. single. thing. you do in career mode in DR2.0 requires the game to connect to Racenet. Imagine an F1 game where the game has to connect to racenet every time you buy an upgrade for your car, start a practice/qualy/race session, end a session, progress to the next weekend ... now you have an idea of what Racenet does in DR2.0. imagine doing a full qualifying session, driving the lap of your life to just squeak into pole position, then the game tries to connect to Racenet and fails, so you get a DNF for the whole qualifying session and start in last place. that is basically what could happen if Racenet is built into the career mode of F1 2019.

I know what the DR2.0 does with RaceNet, but that is not the issue of the technology, it's the issue of the game. Anyways F1 2013 / F1 2014 both did connect occasionally to RaceNet to share your progress and so on.

The matchmaking in F1 games probably already has something to do with the RaceNet technology anyways. If RaceNet comes to F1 (if it's not there already), it probably won't do match except be a leaderboard and so on.

Edited by UP100

I think it’s unnecessary for career mode but I can understand them wanting it for online modes with the esports push they’ve been focusing on in recent years. 

• Agree 1

7 hours ago, stephensmattlee said:

I think it’s unnecessary for career mode but I can understand them wanting it for online modes with the esports push they’ve been focusing on in recent years. 

Yeah I don't think they'd ever do that with the F1 career mainly because it's an officially licensed game and needs to work in an official way. They can get away with it if it's a game of their own which the likes of Dirt and Grid are so they make up the rules for those games with an official game they have to follow the rules of the official sport/competition in question

16 hours ago, stephensmattlee said:

this is precisely what worries me though. it was completely unnecessary for DR2.0 career mode, but the reason they gave for implementing it was 'to prevent cheating'. that was their official line. especially with F1 Esports being much bigger and with the F1 game in general probably having a much larger user base than Dirt, they might feel it necessary to implement Racenet. 

1 hour ago, Tranzitive said:

this is precisely what worries me though. it was completely unnecessary for DR2.0 career mode, but the reason they gave for implementing it was 'to prevent cheating'. that was their official line. especially with F1 Esports being much bigger and with the F1 game in general probably having a much larger user base than Dirt, they might feel it necessary to implement Racenet. 

Why would they want to do that when career is a purely single player mode?

1 hour ago, sjsharp2010 said:

Why would they want to do that when career is a purely single player mode?

EXACTLY! 

no-one has been able to work out yet why they did it for DR2.0. their official line was to prevent cheating, but it seems they've used Racenet as a type of DRM to prevent pirates from playing the career mode as some other single-player modes are accessible without an online connection.

in DR2.0 you can't even repair your car in career mode without the game trying to connect to Racenet, it's beyond ridiculous.

7 hours ago, Tranzitive said:

EXACTLY! 

no-one has been able to work out yet why they did it for DR2.0. their official line was to prevent cheating, but it seems they've used Racenet as a type of DRM to prevent pirates from playing the career mode as some other single-player modes are accessible without an online connection.

in DR2.0 you can't even repair your car in career mode without the game trying to connect to Racenet, it's beyond ridiculous.

Wha tI mean is they've not done it with the F1 games yet. Heck I can run them all just fine in offline mode after downloading them and will continue to do so.

The silence from the devs says it all.

I guess that means that it WILL have an always-online career mode.

Such a shame as it will be a no-buy from me and many others I'm sure. The Racenet implementation in DR2.0 is one of the main things leading to low sales of that game, so I have no idea why they would want to implement it in the F1 game but it looks like that's the plan.

Hi all,

To confirm for you, the career mode in F1 2019 will not require an ‘always online’ connection, and will function the same as previous titles.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Agree 2

On 4/8/2019 at 11:24 AM, Faya said:

Hi all,

To confirm for you, the career mode in F1 2019 will not require an ‘always online’ connection, and will function the same as previous titles.

Sweet thanks for the confirmation. I have already started writing you a check... Oops showing my age there! 

:classic_ninja: