Silverstone 2019

Hi guys. Just looking for some advice/tips. I’m going to F1 British GP this year for the very first time. I will be there the whole weekend. Does anyone have any good tips that would be useful to me, what to take to the track on each day, best place to possibly meet drivers etc?

• Like 1

Nice, you'll have a great time! I've been to the Grand Prix the last couple of years so here are my tips:

What to take to the track:
- Comfortable walking shoes. Silverstone is MASSIVE, and every time I go, I forget just how long you have to walk to get around, so make sure you bring proper footwear that is gonna be comfortable to wear all day, on rocky paths and other surfaces.
- If the weather is definitely forecast for rain, then make sure you bring a proper winter coat + gloves + hat, because Silverstone is so windy and generally unpleasant in the rain and cold. I remember sitting in Club corner grandstand during the long red flag period of the 2012 British GP qualifying, just freezing my arse off because I didn't bring a proper coat.
- If it's hot, sun cream and a cap. It's so easy to catch the sun. Also, even if it is sunny weather, still bring a waterproof jacket anyway because Silverstone weather can suddenly turn and you can never be sure which it's going to be!
- Binoculars, but make sure they're light enough to carry around. I always bring these because very often the viewing areas and grandstands are quite far from the cars as Silverstone's run off areas are just huge. They're also good for general looking around.
- Bottle of water and snacks, because all food and drink at the Grand Prix is DISGUSTINGLY expensive. I normally buy a lunch there, but rely on my own snacks for the rest of the day.
- I'd also suggest a small cushion that you can sit on in your grandstand seat. If you're there for all 4 days, sitting in those uncomfortable plastic seats can get pretty painful for your backside, so a small cushion could do you good. Just don't lose it down the back of your seat when you leave, which I did in 2008 and my dad had to go through the grandstand scaffolding to fetch it.

Best place to meet drivers... realistically you're pretty unlikely to meet any with a standard grandstand / admission ticket, but you may get a chance at the live stage events they do each day. Other than that, a paddock pass / hospitality ticket would be your best bet to meet drivers.

Apart from that, not much else I can think of. Hope you have an amazing time!

• Like 1

Stowe is great for race day, loads I sat there in 2015 and you get to see all of the hanger straight, Stowe corner, Vale and the chicane (Club I think?). There's a screen there too and you can hear the starting grid.

Brooklands is pretty good for qualy. The cars aren't that fast but you get as close as realistically possible to them. Maggots and Beckett's I'd imagine will be great too.

Actually, I've just remembered that I watched Givovinazzi test the Haas at Magotts last year, the change of direction of the cars is insane!

• Agree 1

Posted (edited)
23 hours ago, MBKF1 said:

Nice, you'll have a great time! I've been to the Grand Prix the last couple of years so here are my tips:

What to take to the track:
- Comfortable walking shoes. Silverstone is MASSIVE, and every time I go, I forget just how long you have to walk to get around, so make sure you bring proper footwear that is gonna be comfortable to wear all day, on rocky paths and other surfaces.
- If the weather is definitely forecast for rain, then make sure you bring a proper winter coat + gloves + hat, because Silverstone is so windy and generally unpleasant in the rain and cold. I remember sitting in Club corner grandstand during the long red flag period of the 2012 British GP qualifying, just freezing my arse off because I didn't bring a proper coat.
- If it's hot, sun cream and a cap. It's so easy to catch the sun. Also, even if it is sunny weather, still bring a waterproof jacket anyway because Silverstone weather can suddenly turn and you can never be sure which it's going to be!
- Binoculars, but make sure they're light enough to carry around. I always bring these because very often the viewing areas and grandstands are quite far from the cars as Silverstone's run off areas are just huge. They're also good for general looking around.
- Bottle of water and snacks, because all food and drink at the Grand Prix is DISGUSTINGLY expensive. I normally buy a lunch there, but rely on my own snacks for the rest of the day.
- I'd also suggest a small cushion that you can sit on in your grandstand seat. If you're there for all 4 days, sitting in those uncomfortable plastic seats can get pretty painful for your backside, so a small cushion could do you good. Just don't lose it down the back of your seat when you leave, which I did in 2008 and my dad had to go through the grandstand scaffolding to fetch it.

Best place to meet drivers... realistically you're pretty unlikely to meet any with a standard grandstand / admission ticket, but you may get a chance at the live stage events they do each day. Other than that, a paddock pass / hospitality ticket would be your best bet to meet drivers.

Apart from that, not much else I can think of. Hope you have an amazing time!

Thank you very much. A lot of helpful information there. Are the live events free to go to each day or do you have to buy separate tickets? And also what about getting onto the track for the podium after the race?

Edited by JoeLee

20 hours ago, f1since08 said:

Stowe is great for race day, loads I sat there in 2015 and you get to see all of the hanger straight, Stowe corner, Vale and the chicane (Club I think?). There's a screen there too and you can hear the starting grid.

Brooklands is pretty good for qualy. The cars aren't that fast but you get as close as realistically possible to them. Maggots and Beckett's I'd imagine will be great too.

Actually, I've just remembered that I watched Givovinazzi test the Haas at Magotts last year, the change of direction of the cars is insane!

Nice! I have tickets for the village grandstand, shouldn’t be too bad for viewing! What’s the script with getting on the track for the podium after the race?

1 hour ago, JoeLee said:

Nice! I have tickets for the village grandstand, shouldn’t be too bad for viewing! What’s the script with getting on the track for the podium after the race?

Get near one of the fences and run basically! As I was with school I never got the chance to see the podium but I still have some marbles from when we walked on the track afterwards. I've got some from the tyre tests as well as the Formula Student competition happens straight after before they clean the track.

With a grandstand ticket you can sit in any grandstand you like across Friday and Saturday (so long as they aren't VIP ones) so be sure to try out a few places. Club is quite good for overtaking in the support races.

• Agree 1

17 hours ago, JoeLee said:

Thank you very much. A lot of helpful information there. Are the live events free to go to each day or do you have to buy separate tickets? And also what about getting onto the track for the podium after the race?

Yeah the live stage / fan forum events are free I believe. And as f1since08 said, the best chance to see the podium is to get to a gate and run!

• Agree 1

17 hours ago, f1since08 said:

Get near one of the fences and run basically! As I was with school I never got the chance to see the podium but I still have some marbles from when we walked on the track afterwards. I've got some from the tyre tests as well as the Formula Student competition happens straight after before they clean the track.

With a grandstand ticket you can sit in any grandstand you like across Friday and Saturday (so long as they aren't VIP ones) so be sure to try out a few places. Club is quite good for overtaking in the support races.

I can try out any grandstand Friday and Saturday? That’s a good idea. I’ll be sure to have a wonder about! Thank you

Posted (edited)

I just want to say that i'm very jealous! Its a fantastic historical GP!

Enjoy!

Edited by MvanLions1990