Sign in to follow this  

Partial acceleration/braking

I find it very hard and annoying to properly pulse the brakes or accelerator in some circumstances (I am not using any assists), and I see this as an unnecessary legacy from the keyboard age. I would like to see another acceleration option "advanced" which is basically manual, but have the finger position on the screen determine the intensity. Brake/accel in the lower left/right corners would mean near 0% and in the upper left/right corners 100%. Preferably the "travel" is adjustable as well, I would like to have 0% all the way down and 100% about 60% up (just above the middle of the screen). Would be nice if this were implemented before the next GP because of obvious reasons ;)

• Agree 2

Any response? Yes/no/goingtolookatit? Accelerating out of corners is rubbish and even into T1/2 on China the real drivers are keeping some throttle, while that's completely impossible with this game. I also don't see them fully slamming the brakes 5 times a second as we have to. And when going off the throttle to make that turn, you actually start to understeer. What the hell? What universe do these laws of physics come from? If anything, the weight balance would come more to the front of the car so you should be able to make the corner tighter (and possibly oversteer). That same balance would mean that the rear suspension would come up more, improving DF, which again should make you corner better instead of worse.

Hello 🙂 the current setup for controls/steering is what it is because of our intention to make the game accessible for all. A more nuanced system for acceleration/braking is rarely seen in our mobile competitors BUT, that won't stop us from looking into it further if there's a big push for it. 

TL;DR - no plans right now to add more 'advanced' acceleration/control options, but if there's a groundswell in demand for something like this, it will absolutely be discussed further 🙂

2 minutes ago, mkymouse said:

@ChrisGrovesMCM I see your point. But how about adding support for bluetooth controllers that have analog inputs?

Yep, controller support at some point was confirmed pre-launch. Our focus at the moment is mostly on new content and optimising the live game. No timeline on this yet, but I would estimate that later in the year we should be able to talk more about new options for topics like this 🙂

I play on an iPhone10. I used to tap the brakes but I have found a light touch and hold much more effective- in fact, too much at times. 

Posted (edited)
On 4/15/2019 at 4:58 PM, ChrisGrovesMCM said:

A more nuanced system for acceleration/braking is rarely seen in our mobile competitors

I find this a strange argument. "Our competition does not do this, so neither will we". Usually companies try to distinguish their product from others, so this doesn't become another 13-in-a-dozen racing game. If you have this feature, you might attract more players from the enthusiast-group, who are looking for a racing game to play whenever they're not at home in their playseats. And to me, as a software developer, it does not seem so difficult to implement. The pedals already move around the screen whereever you click them, so the Y-coordinates are known already and it'd be relatively straightforward to map them to a 0..100 range (min/max Y configurable or sensible defaults) and use that for acceleration and braking instead. Of course, I don't know how the game is structured internally but I'd say just pitch it, there might be a developer who shouts that he can fix it in an hour and bam, you'll have a much nicer game (IMO).

BUT, that won't stop us from looking into it further if there's a big push for it.

A lot of people aren't vocal at all about things they'd like to see added to/changed in a game/app. They just take it for granted the way it is and are surprised if anything changes after the first time of using it. Most will walk away if they feel that something is missing, and go look for another game.

Edited by DataGhost

On ‎4‎/‎20‎/‎2019 at 3:34 PM, DataGhost said:

I find this a strange argument. "Our competition does not do this, so neither will we". Usually companies try to distinguish their product from others, so this doesn't become another 13-in-a-dozen racing game.

Hey again - wasn't suggesting that we won't bother trying to do something because others are not doing it either. We've implemented a fair few systems/strategies/ideas that are different to those around us 😉 It was more a point that maybe there's a reason we don't see it in many other places. What you're suggesting is pretty cool - and something that would be good to see in many mobile racing games. Whether it can be achieved or not given the context (time, tools, etc.) is another matter. But like all community feedback and requests, I'll be pushing for it and asking the question 🙂 

has anyone tried to tap the brake while still hold the aceleration pedal? (both manual to me) I have noticed that it has not slowed down too much and controlled the car better

• Agree 1

Maybe a good idea to schedule this for update 5.5 or 6? Now that the cars go crazy with oversteer exiting corners on the accelerator. The oversteer situation is probably more realistic now, but that also means we have to be able to realistically apply 70% throttle exiting the corner gradually up until 100% when the car is driving straight again. And again, tapping is idiotic. If anything, in a real car, quickly pumping the accelerator between 0 and 100% while the steering wheel is not perfectly straight would completely screw up the balance in the car and throw you off the track immediately.

• Agree 1