Sign in to follow this  

Australia - Monaro route notes

Does anyone else feel that the route notes/pace notes for Monaro are off?

I find that several stages have notes that don't make sense or don't give adequate warning of hazards, but Monaro is just a mess. There are calls that are later than others, calls that are missing (if you look at the symbols, they show up, the calls don't), some of the calls are even in the wrong order, and it feels like the only location that I have to actually memorise. Which, you know, undermines the point.

A couple of examples from off the top of my memory - one of the stages has you start off with a large jump. It's called out as a jump, continuing into a long 5 right. What isn't said, is that there's a sheer bank on the left which your car will fly smack into, and which you can't see. I guarantee everyone who did that stage will have run into that the first time, because afaik there is no instruction saying "keep right-" or similar.

There are several situations where the road curves downhill such that a tree is effectively in front of you after a long straight, which can be hard to see in the rain or at night. No caution or anything.

The end calls for one of the stages just straight up has the [square left - long six right - over finish] call in the wrong order (it should be square left - over finish - long six right). That's not causing issues in itself, but it's an example of what I think we'd find if we looked more into it.

It's hard to find specific examples when trying not to get your rear handed to you by the broken af H2 FWD ai. -_-

• Agree 1

The notes aren't exactly perfect but a lot of it can be prevented by tapping the brakes just before the jumps, making that call-out unnecessary. You'll end up going faster too, because you return to controllable traction much quicker than when you jump at full speed - at least that has been my experience.

In general I think the notes are pretty good as long as you put the setting on earliest call out. I suspect they were designed like that first.

• Agree 2

Yep, it may just be a timing thing. Sometimes when I drop pace the calls are not coming for the corner immediately in front but the following corner, then at others times when on on pace the calls are coming before the corner coming up. The call speed can be slowed or sped up in options. 

• Agree 1