Request for a new penalty system

10 minutes ago, IIIDanteIII said:

this is something that isn't hard to understand: those who hit in the rear of other car shold be penalised, not the other way. Who is behind has a clear view of brake distance, the one ahead has only a arrow pointing, and its allowed to defend possition; who cames behind can expect that the car in front will defend. many times I'm about to brake to make a turn and the player takes me out so hard: is really wasn't on purpose?!?!? At least BOTH cars shold have the same speed reduced

maybe a system with like/dislike players for reward a player that play fair.

The problem is that whenever you implement something, you also have to think from the perspective of someone trying to hurt you as much as possible, that's why I left out some ideas and tried to make them as tight as possible. When you are in front of your opponent, you can see where and how far behind he is. When he is trying to pass you, you can move in front and do a brake check, giving him a penalty and you can drive on. So just stating this as a one size fits all solution is a bit naive.

13 hours ago, DataGhost said:

The problem is that whenever you implement something, you also have to think from the perspective of someone trying to hurt you as much as possible, that's why I left out some ideas and tried to make them as tight as possible. When you are in front of your opponent, you can see where and how far behind he is. When he is trying to pass you, you can move in front and do a brake check, giving him a penalty and you can drive on. So just stating this as a one size fits all solution is a bit naive.

true, its not easy, but I still believe its more easy to who is behind to evaluate the distance, because he see the car and its focus is already ahead. who is in front has to keep checking where the car behind is and also focus ahead to not cut the track (if he meant to). I also sugest that BOTH drivers loses the same amount of speed, instead of one is tossed away and the other moves on

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, IIIDanteIII said:

true, its not easy, but I still believe its more easy to who is behind to evaluate the distance, because he see the car and its focus is already ahead. who is in front has to keep checking where the car behind is and also focus ahead to not cut the track (if he meant to). I also sugest that BOTH drivers loses the same amount of speed, instead of one is tossed away and the other moves on

22 hours ago, IIIDanteIII said:

this is something that isn't hard to understand: those who hit in the rear of other car shold be penalised, not the other way. Who is behind has a clear view of brake distance, the one ahead has only a arrow pointing, and its allowed to defend possition; who cames behind can expect that the car in front will defend. many times I'm about to brake to make a turn and the player takes me out so hard: is really wasn't on purpose?!?!? At least BOTH cars shold have the same speed reduced

maybe a system with like/dislike players for reward a player that play fair.

Hello - who receives penalties during races for unfair driving and how those penalties are handed out is one of the key areas we're investigating further. Like, seriously - it's something I work on with the team every day 😉 Some instances of penalties being handed out are subjective and, like racing IRL, there will always be that side of things, but we are also seeing that there is room for improvement with this system. As I've mentioned before, a live penalty system for a mobile racing game is bold, tricky and pretty much unique, but that won't stop us continuing to find ways to make it better.

As for a like/dislike option for players, similar systems in other games are often abused and/or used incorrectly by players; just 'disliking' a racer because they won a race fair and square, for example. Our focus right now is on ensuring the current system is working as well as possible. After that, we'll look further into any ways we can further improve the experience for the fairest racers. 🙂

• Agree 2

On 4/15/2019 at 8:06 AM, ChrisGrovesMCM said:

Hello - who receives penalties during races for unfair driving and how those penalties are handed out is one of the key areas we're investigating further. Like, seriously - it's something I work on with the team every day 😉 Some instances of penalties being handed out are subjective and, like racing IRL, there will always be that side of things, but we are also seeing that there is room for improvement with this system. As I've mentioned before, a live penalty system for a mobile racing game is bold, tricky and pretty much unique, but that won't stop us continuing to find ways to make it better.

As for a like/dislike option for players, similar systems in other games are often abused and/or used incorrectly by players; just 'disliking' a racer because they won a race fair and square, for example. Our focus right now is on ensuring the current system is working as well as possible. After that, we'll look further into any ways we can further improve the experience for the fairest racers. 🙂

I understand a like/dislike could be used incorreclty. One sugestion for this is the "Dislike" gives a small penalty, at least some penalty. While a "Like" brings much reward. Could at least encourage fair play, and player decide to troll, its not too devastating. Just an idea.

• Agree 1

Posted (edited)

Hi,

On numerous occasions, I’m trying to take a clear corner, following the racing line, and I get hit from the inside, thrown out from the track AND getting penalized for it 😳

So, for corner collision, only the car on the inside should be penalized, don’t you think?

Just like Kvyat was on the first corner in Shangai last sunday 😎

Edited by Norrin78
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

Another race lost in Suzuka with my opponent sailing through the last chicane without being penalized.

Basically, I find it very difficult to increase my SR. Grid start races are a nightmare with AI bot ramming into you at every corner. Sometimes I wish it would be recorded just to show how outrageous the AI can be. Sometimes they overtake you like you're driving a GP2, and 2 corners later, they almost stop on the exit in a way you can't even avoid them.

And if you try to have a clean race, well, you lose.

So as a fair player, I'm really left heavily frustrated most of the time.

Edited by Norrin78
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

Hey Chris, here is a thought...

On Grid start duels, your safety rating dictates your position on the grid.  Safety rating of 5.0?  Congrats you get pole position.  Safety rating of 0.0 should put the car at the 20th position.  Scale the ratings so that a safety rating of 2.5 starts at 10th.  If a player loses a few duels because they are running a clean race every time, they would be rewarded with good grid start positions.

This would definitely encourage safe driving and give good drivers somewhat of a reward on grid races.  It would only apply on grid starts, so qualifying and sprint races would remain the same.

Obviously there are some minor issues I am sure people will address like having your safety rating reduced by AI slamming into you, or other racers hitting you.  And sometimes contact just seems unavoidable.  But overall, if you are a good driver, a player should be able to consistently start in the top 10.  If someone has a rating of 0.2, then let them slam through 10 bots before they can even get to your car...

• Agree 1

On 4/19/2019 at 8:10 AM, Norrin78 said:

Hi,

On numerous occasions, I’m trying to take a clear corner, following the racing line, and I get hit from the inside, thrown out from the track AND getting penalized for it 😳

So, for corner collision, only the car on the inside should be penalized, don’t you think?

Just like Kvyat was on the first corner in Shangai last sunday 😎

As a McLaren fan, that made for a long boring race!