Dirt Rally 2.0 - Fantastic game

Posted (edited)

So we have a fantastic new rally game. This time Codemasters got right most important thing, driving. They hired Jon Armstrong and Ryan Champion (who might be a "silent" hero with the handling of the older cars) and it paid off. They delivered the authentic and more nuanced handling model they were talking about. 

Pretty soon after Dirt 4 released I stopped playing it, because I didn't like the driving (there were some good cars). It doesn't matter even if game would be otherwise perfect: stages, graphics, no bugs etc. Just not interested playing it. 

For Dirt Rally 2.0 the development time wasn't that much longer than between dirt rally and dirt 4. Lot of people thought dirt 4 was rushed. Codemasters is gonna release games at fast pace no matter what.

There are some bugs in the game (dr2). Of course I would like that there would be zero bugs. As a console (peasant) player on ps4 pro and xbox one x most of my gaming has been bug free. I don't know is there more problems on pc. On ps4 pro graphics are ok and also you never know if they prefer let's say some higher refresh rate physics than improving graphics. FFB is big problem for a lot people, deal breaker for some (maybe not playing at all) and patch is taking surprisingly long time. I hope there is 2 ffb presets(original, new) or that you can just add the effects for what we have now (if you want).

I'm puzzled by the big drama (although I took part in little drama myself) that's going on twitter and forums, maybe not so much here but in other forums, because this time vs dirt 4 ,handling is good/stages good, everything else can be fixed. They are now even doing patches and looking into ffb. Obviously there should be more communication.

That's all. Those were some wierd random points. These are just my opinions. Let's enjoy this great game!

Edited by Joe289
  • Like 4
  • Haha 3
  • Agree 6

Jon Armstrong who is E-Sport World Champion (by WRC 7) - but he didn't mentioned this game is lack of FFB effects?
Do you think his response helped the developers a lot to improve the non-existing thing? 😄

• Agree 1
  • Disagree 1

Yes, I believe his feedback helped greatly, just somebody forgot to raise hand when there was a question: could anybody want any other effects to the wheel. 

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, Joe289 said:

So we have a fantastic new rally game. This time Codemasters got right most important thing, driving. They hired Jon Armstrong and Ryan Champion (who might be a "silent" hero with the handling of the older cars) and it paid off. They delivered the authentic and more nuanced handling model they were talking about. 

Pretty soon after Dirt 4 released I stopped playing it, because I didn't like the driving (there were some good cars). It doesn't matter even if game would be otherwise perfect: stages, graphics, no bugs etc. Just not interested playing it. 

For Dirt Rally 2.0 the development time wasn't that much longer than between dirt rally and dirt 4. Lot of people thought dirt 4 was rushed. Codemasters is gonna release games at fast pace no matter what.

There are some bugs in the game (dr2). Of course I would like that there would be zero bugs. As a console (peasant) player on ps4 pro and xbox one x most of my gaming has been bug free. I don't know is there more problems on pc. On ps4 pro graphics are ok and also you never know if they prefer let's say some higher refresh rate physics than improving graphics. FFB is big problem for a lot people, deal breaker for some (maybe not playing at all) and patch is taking surprisingly long time. I hope there is 2 ffb presets(original, new) or that you can just add the effects for what we have now (if you want).

I'm puzzled by the big drama (although I took part in little drama myself) that's going on twitter and forums, maybe not so much here but in other forums, because this time vs dirt 4 ,handling is good/stages good, everything else can be fixed. They are now even doing patches and looking into ffb. Obviously there should be more communication.

That's all. Those were some wierd random points. These are just my opinions. Let's enjoy this great game!

The fact you say Dirt 4 was rushed and Codemasters are going to release games at a fast pace kinda says it all. Dirt 4 was rushed they couldnt fix it due to 2.0 which is clearly rushed and not in a finished state. I reckon it needed another 12 months dev time at least. Now the question is are they now working on Dirt 5 or On Rush 2 meaning 2.0 will never be the game it should like Dirt 4? 

Imo releasing games at a rushed pace will catch up on Codies and people will get ****** off quicker than they can rush out  games.

• Agree 3

Dirt rally 2 could of should of been fantastic.

I think it was rushed out because it sounds like next gen of Xbox n playstation are due next year and that would of meant either releasing a game on old system or reworking for new.

• Agree 1

Posted (edited)

It still can and it will be. This isn't over and bugs are getting sorted, which is what's keeping this game in the grey zone for the moment.

Have some faith in it.

Edited by Riggs
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2

3 minutes ago, tvvang said:

Dirt rally 2 could of should of been fantastic.

I think it was rushed out because it sounds like next gen of Xbox n playstation are due next year and that would of meant either releasing a game on old system or reworking for new.

I have a feeling Dirt 2.0 complete edition will be on nxt-gen consoles. Current consoles are really struggling with it. Could it be it was rushed out to get final gen sales then the final game will appear and run properly once the PS5 and X2 is released. Makes sense.

• Agree 1

7 minutes ago, Riggs said:

It still can and it will be. This isn't over and bugs are getting sorted, which is what's keeping this game in the grey zone for the moment.

Have some faith in it.

I did have faith. I pre ordered on the faith I gave CM to deliver a complete game.that faith has long since evaporated with the many many bugs, lack of actual FFB and unwilling to admit they messed up because that would cost them on more refunds.

• Agree 3
  • Disagree 1

29 minutes ago, tvvang said:

I did have faith. I pre ordered on the faith I gave CM to deliver a complete game.that faith has long since evaporated with the many many bugs, lack of actual FFB and unwilling to admit they messed up because that would cost them on more refunds.

They've said they're fixing up the FFB for people like you, and are even going to invite players to test the changes. What is it exactly that you want? For Codies to publicly set themselves on fire?

• Haha 1
  • Agree 2

1 minute ago, Jake Cushing said:

They've said they're fixing up the FFB for people like you, and are even going to invite players to test the changes. What is it exactly that you want? For Codies to publicly set themselves on fire?

You are funny.what I wanted from cm was a game better than dirt rally,they failed to achieve that in however long it was in development I doubt they can fix this in the months after release.

Also people like me are currently twice as many as people like you in the "do you want FFB in this game" thread.

• Agree 1
  • Disagree 1

Posted (edited)

Christ, in this forum looks like this game is a total disaster, and in my opinion, it is not the case. Of course FFB has to be improved (they did have a proper FFB on DiRT Rally), and AI has to be totally adjusted (as I mentioned in other posts), but jeez, this game is not so bad.

I just expect that they will improve these things, the core of this game is really good (physics, the design of the stages, sound, graphics..). If they make 5 seasons with three new rally locations in each of them, I would buy it all. There aren’t many modern good rally games.

Edited by CarlesWRC
  • Agree 9

Just because everything "can be fixed" (which I agree with, by the way) does not mean we should be happy about that. Dirt 4's issues could have been fixed too.

• Agree 2

I’m agree with you, but in my opinion there is no comparison between DiRT 4 and this game. For me, DiRT 4 was a bad game itself. The handling was bad, physics with serious problems, and… random stages? That was a disaster, any stage felt natural at all. They were too artificial, with poor design. Unnatural and repetitive.

Now we have a solid core game, with stages really well designed (like in DiRT Rally), really good handling (even better than DiRT Rally in tarmac). So after all, this game is not so bad, but of course, they have to improve ffb and AI, specially. With that and more rally locations (DiRT Rally and new ones, like Corsica, San Remo, Mexico..) we are close to a perfect rally game.

• Agree 5

15 hours ago, CarlesWRC said:

I’m agree with you, but in my opinion there is no comparison between DiRT 4 and this game. For me, DiRT 4 was a bad game itself. The handling was bad, physics with serious problems, and… random stages? That was a disaster, any stage felt natural at all. They were too artificial, with poor design. Unnatural and repetitive.

Now we have a solid core game, with stages really well designed (like in DiRT Rally), really good handling (even better than DiRT Rally in tarmac). So after all, this game is not so bad, but of course, they have to improve ffb and AI, specially. With that and more rally locations (DiRT Rally and new ones, like Corsica, San Remo, Mexico..) we are close to a perfect rally game.

I agree on these and the comment you wrote earlier. DR2 is a really good game. I appreciate the work they've done, especially in stage design and physics. Driving on the re-mastered Monaco is a good benchmark of the big improvement since the original DR.

The only thing I hope for is that Codies won't abandon this game after a short while -like they left DR4. With those small bugs fixed this could be The Rally Sim. No need to start making a new rally game and rush-release it next year because DR 2.0 has huge potential.

I vote for continue the support of DR2 next year (patches and new contents) instead of Dirt5 in 2020.

• Agree 5

29 minutes ago, redriot77 said:

I agree on these and the comment you wrote earlier. DR2 is a really good game. I appreciate the work they've done, especially in stage design and physics. Driving on the re-mastered Monaco is a good benchmark of the big improvement since the original DR.

The only thing I hope for is that Codies won't abandon this game after a short while -like they left DR4. With those small bugs fixed this could be The Rally Sim. No need to start making a new rally game and rush-release it next year because DR 2.0 has huge potential.

I vote for continue the support of DR2 next year (patches and new contents) instead of Dirt5 in 2020.

Totally agree with you. I would buy every season. I am only interested in rally simulation, so I'm not interested at all in another DiRT 5. I want more and more from Dirt Rally 2!

• Haha 1
  • Agree 3

I like this game (engine/physics/environments) very much, bought the DLC after. I'm getting my money's worth for sure. There might be too much specularity (reflections) on some surfaces, like the grass in USA it looks like all the blades of grass are reflecting towards you.

on the other hand, I think this franchise needs to evolve to have more "quality of life" improvements.

I can't see the top times when i finish races, only those a few spots above and below me. I also can't see how many people participated into the said races to help me know how good or bad i'm doing. Can't see other people's replays or share car setups like forza did on xbox360 years ago.

Some kind of voiced/scripted five minute rally crash course with small pauses and emphasis on technique would make getting into this game a lot easier for the uninitiated. 

Unfortunately game studios now have to walk the pace of release schedules, executives with tight wallets and a bunch of **** getting in the way of optimal, slower, more involved, well thought of development.

20 years ago hardware was changing so fast, programmers would have to learn how to program on new programming tools, languages everything. Now everything is more mature so they could actually take the time to make a new masterpiece.

Back then a 7 year old pc with a newer gpu wouldn't play the newer game well. I have a 4820k @4.25ghz with a 1070ti and i'm getting great performance from it. 

What do you all think?

• Agree 2

On 4/3/2019 at 7:48 AM, Joe289 said:

On ps4 pro graphics are ok

Unless you mean it as an euphemism for “a blurry mess”, I guess that your PS 4 Pro is much better than mine *sigh*

For me, as a Rally fan for almost two decades, and played a lot of rally games, DiRT Rally 2 is maybe the best one of the last 10 years. I'm enjoying every second of this game.. if they fix some issues and feeds the game with more rally locations with more seasons I would be playing it like forever!

• Haha 1
  • Agree 7
  • Disagree 1

6 hours ago, Mastoideu said:

Unless you mean it as an euphemism for “a blurry mess”, I guess that your PS 4 Pro is much better than mine *sigh*

Night time I saw tearing couple of times, maybe that' s worse case. If there is no extras vs ps4 then it's not that good, atleast 1440p (in good contidions, no rain) should be possible.

From my experience this is the worst looking game on the PS4, not because it doesn’t have the high res achieved by PC’s (who wants that anyway 😝) but because the graphics are not crisp and clear.

The dashboard is out of focus, the road ahead, specially in brown terrain is totally blurred even when the car is stopped. It gets much worse when in movement. Right now the little enjoyment I get from what could be a great game is by cherry picking the tracks, weather and time of day so that I get the less blurry ones.

This game should never have been launched for the PS4 in this state. And the proof is that (miraculously) even Codemasters has admitted the “bluriness” issue and hopefully is going to address it.

• Agree 1

Posted (edited)

Bought the game yesterday. So far, from my little time in it, i think DR2.0 has great potential but is somewhat disapointing. I'm on PS4 PRO and i can confirm that it's really dificult to see the road in some stages, when there is to much dark and brownish colors, to the point it makes me somewhat dizzy. I really prefer the DR1.0 color palette. I don't think the FFB is broken, but is instead, the result of poor choice of implementation, where there is little to no feedback from the surface (but, at least in my system, provides enough information from the car wheels). It's very odd to feel no rumbling or vibration for an entire stage, until you drive through the grills in the road, when the wheel starts shaking. The physics are, however, such a great improvement over the original DR (which i still love and find great), especially the tarmac (although far from perfect). One can compare the Monte Carlo stage in both iterations of DR and see how much better it is... It's just sublime in 2.0, in particular the tarmac/ice/snow transition.

Summing up, i do miss some of the original DR features and do think the game was, unfortunatly, rushed out, but think it has great future perspectives IF codemasters decide to back it up in the near future, providing extra content (especially PSVR, which i really miss and made 1.0 probably the most addictive game i've ever played), squashing all the bugs and improving those details which detracts from the overall game quality. 

Edited by Opassac
  • Agree 2

They are saying that they currently working on game 'blurriness' so maybe it will be fixed next patch. Dirt rally sharpness would be good but higher resolution would be of course even better for 4k tvs.

first i disliked the game but now after the two patches from codemasters things getting better and i'm starting to have fun. I hope they will continue making patches and more content for it! 

• Agree 1

Posted (edited)
On 4/3/2019 at 3:33 PM, CarlesWRC said:

Christ, in this forum looks like this game is a total disaster, and in my opinion, it is not the case. Of course FFB has to be improved (they did have a proper FFB on DiRT Rally), and AI has to be totally adjusted (as I mentioned in other posts), but jeez, this game is not so bad.

I just expect that they will improve these things, the core of this game is really good (physics, the design of the stages, sound, graphics..). If they make 5 seasons with three new rally locations in each of them, I would buy it all. There aren’t many modern good rally games.

I totally agree with you.

I didnt even know I was supposed to hate this game like the plague, until I entered the forums.

Playing on ps4 with g29 wheel, Im having a blast.

Maybe Im just lucky, I dont know?but I really can't relate to all the things, describing this game unplayable.

Only hassel must be the extreme dark spots sometime, but I actually learned from this. That I needed to turn the contrast enhancer off. Making all my games look so much nicer.

And just as you, I would love to see many more seasons. And I would buy them all.

But seeing all the comotion on these forums, Im afraid there wont be much support in the future. 

And maybe as a result further on, CM will drop making more rally games at all. Leaving us with even fewer options, as you already mentioned. There arent many good rally games to begin with.

Maybe people should take that in to consideration aswell, before raging  blindly on the forums.

Cause it's a great way to loose this series for good. I for one, does not want that

Edited by Grimstreaker999
Typo
  • Like 2
  • Agree 2